Author Topic: TAR 25 -- CBS Ratings Info  (Read 3010 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
TAR 25 -- CBS Ratings Info
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:46:43 PM »
CBS has announced that starting with the beginning of the 2014-15 tv season on September 22nd, it will includes C7 and L7 ratings projections for each of its shows with the daily ratings info.

http://deadline.com/2014/09/cbs-ratings-live7-c7-leslie-moonves-david-poltrack-835641/

CBS said this morning it will add Live+7 projections to its daily same-day ratings reports, starting with the beginning of the 2014-2015 TV season on September 22. CBS said the move reflects the “continued industry shift” to L7 and C7 ratings which are a more accurate measurement of a show’s total audience — and a program’s full monetization value. CBS’ announcement is part of a trend among TV organizations that issue daily ratings to include projections along with Live+Same Day stats. Fox began doing so regularly about a year ago; ABC and NBC have been adding the projections intermittently for a couple seasons.

“L7 and C7 are the metrics that more accurately account for how viewers watch our shows and how we get paid for our programming – both in advertising and content licensing,” said CBS Corp president and CEO Leslie Moonves in this morning’s announcement. “C7 deals were a significant part of our Upfront negotiations this year, and we are doing more and more C7 deals all of the time. As new technologies continue to improve audience measurement across all platforms, these more precise metrics are becoming the industry standard, benefiting advertisers and content providers alike.”

“To report audience results for programs the day after they air live is comparable to reporting the results of a baseball game after the fifth inning,” added CBS Corp chief research officer David Poltrack — a line he used at Summer TV Press Tour 2014 when he and execs from other networks pitched TV critics, reporters and columnists on the concept of using the delayed-viewing stats in their coverage of a show’s popularity with viewers. But back then — July — Poltrack and his counterparts at other networks only came to preach the value of using Live+3 stats, at the very least, in light of how popular delayed viewing has become — particularly of scripted primetime series, with drama series leading the way.

“We all provide projections [for Live+3 Day]. We understand your skepticism about using our projections,” Poltrack said then. “The one thing you can be sure about our projections is that if one of us starts giving you a lot of bull****, the other ones are going to let you know. You’ve got us to check each other,” he added.

Poltrack today said the only way to accurately compare audiences across all programs is to include even more time-shifted viewing — now up to seven days after initial broadcast.

CBS’s Live+7 projections for returning programs will be based on the distinctive historical increases in viewers for each program. For new programs, the projections will initially be based on the time-shifting pattern of programs in the same genre until CBS has actual results for them over a seven-day frame.

CBS will release daily L7 projections in viewers, adults 18-49 and adults 25-54 that will include percentage increases over each program’s Live+Same Day averages.

CBS has been among the strongest advocates for advertisers to use the live plus seven day data, and the seven day data that includes alternative platforms, as this is what the network looks at for programming decisions. So with that caveat, we can probably justify continuing to look at these numbers, as long as we are including the "plus 7" data.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 25 -- CBS Ratings Info
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:23:37 PM »
What is C7? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 01:24:39 PM »

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:40:15 PM »
C3 and C7 refer to how much of the "commercial time" was viewed... since most people fast forward through the commercials when they play a program from their PVR.
It is viewership data calculated as the average viewership for only the commercial time within the program.
C3 refers to the ratings for average commercial minutes in live programming plus three days of digital video recorder playback.
Wikipedia explains it much better than I can...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 10:40:10 AM »
Ratings for the first week of season 25 are abysmal.

5.51 million viewers and a 1.1 in adults 18-49 1.7 in adult 25-54

With numbers like this TAR will most likely not make it back for next fall. 

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 10:41:13 AM »
Dear God

Even with the long delays on a Sunday it did much better.  :(

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 10:46:49 AM »
Dear God

Long delays never hurt TAR, never.  While it wouldn't give them as big a push as shorter delays for Sunday from football, it still always gave them a push up.  The shows hurt by the delays would have been the normal 10 pm show, not the normal 8pm.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »
Oh and just to depress everyone.

That is technically the lowest rating original run episode of TAR ever in both demos, even the clip show from season 7 performed better in both demo groups.

For total viewers the only show to do worse was the clip show from season 7 with 5.18 million viewers.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 10:58:16 AM »
Dear God

The NFL has always helped TAR, providing it a huge lead-in. 
The overruns may annoy fans, but they helped TAR's ratings greatly.

TAR23's most watched episodes were actually the ones that aired at 9pm AND went up against The Walking Dead.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »
Oh dear. BUT on the bright side I think this was not unexpected. In the Friday night slot when many of our family viewers are not home, we expected a drop for LIVE views. I have been told that the live views are not the focus. But the 3 and 7 day numbers are important.

So things we can do: Go to the CBS site and Hulu and iTunes and watch (or just let the video run). Do it over and over. Those views are counted. Click on the adds. Support our advertisers and tell them why. Tweet like crazy, use an AmazingRace hashtag. Social media buzz is more important than ever.

This is going to be our best season in a long time. Momentum can build.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 10:59:53 AM »
And no matter why, always glad to see our mswood!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 11:02:03 AM »
Youtube insider vids were all great too! I suppose it must be taken into account the most watched shows are now viewed after the live show (eg. I think Game of Thrones had more online viewers every week than live). I wish CBS wasn't geoblocked so my viewership counted..

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »
Friday for many network have for over a decade been the dumping ground for shows near the end of their life span.  Typically shows that have nice syndication packages were the production studio is willing to take a cut in license fee knowing that they will most likely make it up (and usually lots more) by having a larger package for their syndication deal.

That truly doesn't play a factor for TAR.  If anything I assume they moved TAR to attempt to boost their Demo numbers for the rest of the Friday lineup, and try to keep that night as viable as long as possible.

Last fall TAR averaged 8.955 million viewers a 2.01 adults 18-49 and a 2.6 in adults 25-54

TAR was just slightly below the 1.2 average that CBS had for the night, and it placed 2nd in the hour out of the four networks, with a special two hour performance of Shark Tank winning the time slot and the night.

So perhaps, just perhaps we might see some sort of uptick in ratings next week when Shark Tank goes back to starting at 9pm. 

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 11:18:47 AM »
Oh dear. BUT on the bright side I think this was not unexpected. In the Friday night slot when many of our family viewers are not home, we expected a drop for LIVE views. I have been told that the live views are not the focus. But the 3 and 7 day numbers are important.

So things we can do: Go to the CBS site and Hulu and iTunes and watch (or just let the video run). Do it over and over. Those views are counted. Click on the adds. Support our advertisers and tell them why. Tweet like crazy, use an AmazingRace hashtag. Social media buzz is more important than ever.

HI Peach

I think there is a good chance that the ratings might go up next week with weaker competition from ABC at 8pm.

As for delayed viewing it helps a little.  CBS has been mentioning the C based ratings.  Those commercial ratings are what pay the bills, what set ad prices, as for the most part ad buyers (the one exception is product placement which can either give money upfront to a show or pay a rate based off of the number of viewers who watched the program during the time frame of the product placement, I have heard no reports on which applies to the TAR for things like the Gnome or the various Ford, and airlines featured on the show) don't care if you watch the program they only care if you watch the commercials.  Thats why live viewers have always been the most valuable.  DVR viewers at least 40% (Rough average TAR could be better could be worse) of them skip commercials and thus don't help.

I have seen the Commercial numbers once for one week last year. and the commercial plus 7 was just a tenth higher then TAR live same day numbers.  Heck even our live same day includes a significant amount of DVR viewers and some of them skip the commercials.

Thats why for the most part even when 60 minutes averaged a lower demo ratings it normally got higher ad rates.  60 minutes has one of the highest rates for viewers watching the commercials and watching them live, typically only sports programming does better then 60 minutes in that regard.  And on the data I have seen for a week where 60 minutes had a lower Live same day, lower live plus 3 and lower L plus 7 then TAR, its C ratings for each was higher then TAR.

For those who hate how important demos are, HULU, iTunes, CBS Site, don't care how old you are.  They typically earn less then a live TV viewer, but they absolutely do help.  Unfortunately I have no idea how TAR fares in comparison to the other shows aired on CBS.  Certainly Insider videos and their brief ads a minor plus that most shows don't have.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 03:26:24 PM »
CBS has been having an awful Fall TV Season, ABC has been winning day after day this week. Hopefully moving Shark Tank later (ABC presumably moved it to fight with Dateline on NBC) will help TAR!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 04:33:26 PM »
Ratings for the first week of season 25 are abysmal.

5.51 million viewers and a 1.1 in adults 18-49 1.7 in adult 25-54

With numbers like this TAR will most likely not make it back for next fall.
:faint: :faint:

But it's doing better than Extant and significantly Reckless so... that's at least good. :meh
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »
Being barely better than 2 canceled summer shows isn't exactly encouraging.

The bottom line is that CBS had to expect this.  It was getting about a 1.5-1.8 rating in the spring, season 24, and Fridays at 8 is a much lesser-watched TV hour (its the least viewed primetime hour of the week, excluding Saturdays).  The questions is whether its enough for CBS.  If it goes below a 1.0, its absolutely a goner.  If it can maintain a 1.1 - 1.3 range, I think we can eek out another season.  I believe, but am not sure, that Undercover Boss is taking the slot in midseason.  That show was doing about the same rating as TAR's 1.1 last night, and is likely far cheaper to produce.

As much as I wanted Race to stay on Sundays for years to come, I can't really falter CBS for trying something new.  Their Sundays were pretty disastrous last season, and TAR has been falling steadily for the last 5 seasons.  Afternoon football provides a huge marketing opportunity and lead-in for Sunday's shows, so it was the best chance to try out a new show.  If it can stabilize on Fridays, it could probably survive for a little longer.  I'd be stunned if it moved to a different weeknight.

Offline docol

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Can't wait 4 "The Amazing Race" 35...!!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 05:35:44 PM »

based on what?? im so dissapointed with the rating numbers...why this is happening? i tought the producers were happy (according to peach) with the change! but if this was EXPECTED....why would they love the day change? i don't get it
"" JUSTICE 4 DUSTIN&KANDICE: PUT THEM ON THE AMAZING RACE LEGENDS SEASON ""