Author Topic: TAR Canada 2: Ep 12 FINALE "Who's Da Bomb?" September 21 8PM  (Read 12952 times)

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR Canada 2: Ep 12 FINALE "Who's Da Bomb?" September 21 8PM
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 12:40:58 AM »
Well did Jon say "4 countries" at the final pitstop?  :res:

I don't see a problem with that.

Wikipedia defines a "country" as

A country is a region identified as a distinct entity in political geography. A country may be an independent sovereign state or one that is occupied by another state, as a non-sovereign or formerly sovereign political division, or a geographic region associated with sets of previously independent or differently associated peoples with distinct political characteristics.

So its not out unreasonable to classify Macau and Hong Kong as countries!

So I could say Texas is a country and P.E.I is one too. :)

Hong Kong is an SAR, which is not comparable to Texas or PEI, because they are comparable to Guangdong or Jiangsu.

But before Texas became a state of the US in 1845, it was a sovereign nation (The Republic of Texas, 1836-1845).

Plus, the SAR refers to a closer relationship than that between Scotland and England, for instance.

...your Texas argument is irrelevant because it's a state and does not have the same degree of autonomy as an autonomous republic would...such as the SAR :lol:

Also no SAR-PRC is different to Scotland-England, because Scotland-England share things like democracy and multiparty states,  whereas the SAR-PRC, only one does. Unless you can prove otherwise, I call bs on that too.

Please peruse the definition of the word "country" provided by Wikipedia cited by Leafsfan. I define Texas as a country because it's concordant with the condition "as a non-sovereign or formerly sovereign political division."

Both Canada and the US are federal countries which I reckon every state has some certain autonomy, unlike unitary-government-type nations.

Pertaining to sharing the ethos of democracy, I don't see it in the definition, hence I don't think it has anything to do in defining a country.

P.S. Now the Wikipedia page of The Amazing Race Canada 2 says the number of the countries visited is 3. It's much safer to say in this way I guess.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:45:09 AM by SuperTux »
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »
Well did Jon say "4 countries" at the final pitstop?  :res:

I don't see a problem with that.

Wikipedia defines a "country" as

A country is a region identified as a distinct entity in political geography. A country may be an independent sovereign state or one that is occupied by another state, as a non-sovereign or formerly sovereign political division, or a geographic region associated with sets of previously independent or differently associated peoples with distinct political characteristics.

So its not out unreasonable to classify Macau and Hong Kong as countries!

So I could say Texas is a country and P.E.I is one too. :)

Hong Kong is an SAR, which is not comparable to Texas or PEI, because they are comparable to Guangdong or Jiangsu.

But before Texas became a state of the US in 1845, it was a sovereign nation (The Republic of Texas, 1836-1845).

Plus, the SAR refers to a closer relationship than that between Scotland and England, for instance.

...your Texas argument is irrelevant because it's a state and does not have the same degree of autonomy as an autonomous republic would...such as the SAR :lol:

Also no SAR-PRC is different to Scotland-England, because Scotland-England share things like democracy and multiparty states,  whereas the SAR-PRC, only one does. Unless you can prove otherwise, I call bs on that too.

Please peruse the definition of the word "country" provided by Wikipedia cited by Leafsfan. I define Texas as a country because it's concordant with the condition "as a non-sovereign or formerly sovereign political division."

Both Canada and the US are federal countries which I reckon every state has some certain autonomy, unlike unitary-government-type nations.

Pertaining to sharing the ethos of democracy, I don't see it in the definition, hence I don't think it has anything to do in defining a country.

P.S. Now the Wikipedia page of The Amazing Race Canada 2 says the number of the countries visited is 3. It's much safer to say in this way I guess.

Just to add some fuel to the fire... they did visit Quebec (Montreal) - maybe Jon was attempting to appease the separatists by counting Quebec as a country.  :stirtp:
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Lmh1988

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2016, 02:32:17 PM »
Just finished watching The Amazing Race Canada season 2. I have watched all of the US races and many of the international, and this ranks right up there with my favorites. Such great tasks and teams, casting was spot on. I really wish the US version would take some notes.

I could not have picked a better final three, I would have been happy with any of them winning, although Rob and Ryan were my personal favorites (they had some amazing moments pulling it out in the end to barely survive elimination), I'm thrilled with Mickey and Pete winning, they're great guys.

As far as Natalie and Meghan, one of the most dominant teams any season of any version of the Race has ever seen, they absolutely crushed the season and just fell short on the leg that mattered most.

Super excited to watch season 3, and then on to the new season. I hope the Canadian version keeps up the great work and runs for many years to come.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2016, 02:37:29 PM »
Welcome LMH!! Glad to have you!! :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2016, 02:42:08 PM »
Yeah, Season 2 was their best to date, I felt. That first France leg in Normandy is a new favourite, it was beautifully put together.

Offline Lmh1988

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 02:48:36 PM »
Thanks GeorgiaPeach, I have lurked and followed the site for years and have previously done some reality TV recaps myself, and I'm excited to join this forum.

I thought this season had some great challenges, the Mentos one sticks out for me. I really like the challenges that take a long time where teams really have a chance to catch up or get passed and the outcome is really unpredictable, whereas especially lately, the US version challenges don't give teams in the back as much of a chance to typically catch up, so the result is usually more expected.