Author Topic: The "SAVE"  (Read 23189 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: The "SAVE"
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2014, 04:17:15 PM »
I think it's pretty straight forward for this season now. The team knows they are in last, use the Save on an elimination leg, is Saved and the very next NEL becomes an elimination leg.

If Misti and Jim has until Leg 8  Leg 9 to use it, I am pretty sure this is so that the last planned NEL at F5 or F4 will be burnt for the Save.

I will be surprise if it goes any other way.

I don't think they can change a pre-planned NEL.... we have NO evidence for a NEL leg being changed.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2014, 06:33:32 PM »
Would this mean that they would need to run a 13 leg season though? It would seem like that or a double elimination.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »
Ultimately we were the last to arrive on the mat. When we received
"The Save" we were given written instructions (as were all the other teams) that
stated that upon being told that we were going to be eliminated that we would
hand over "The Save". When I asked one of the producers about how things would
play out in the event of a non-elimination leg I was told that we would have to
use "The Save" before we were told whether or not it was non-elim which was not
how the written instructions read. Obviously, he was mistaken. I handed Phil
"The Save" as I stepped on the mat and was so so happy to get it back.

From Jim himself.

So, yes it seems Misti and Jim used it but because it was NEL they got it back. But npt sure again if they used it on Elim and if they are not last, whether or not they will get it back. Heck, Jim sounded as if the written instructions was not clear. :groan:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2014, 01:09:22 PM »
I think it's pretty straight forward for this season now. The team knows they are in last, use the Save on an elimination leg, is Saved and the very next NEL becomes an elimination leg.

If Misti and Jim has until Leg 8  Leg 9 to use it, I am pretty sure this is so that the last planned NEL at F5 or F4 will be burnt for the Save.

I will be surprise if it goes any other way.

I don't think they can change a pre-planned NEL.... we have NO evidence for a NEL leg being changed.

I'm thinking as long as they write this out clearly in I don't know some form of document, it will be that way. Like a certain clause some where that says on a leg that a team uses the save, the next leg will become a double elimination.

Or on a leg that a team uses the save, the next immediate NEL will become an elimination leg. I'm pretty sure race rules can be written in the production team's favour. Otherwise, how else are they going to elim enough teams before they reach the F3?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2014, 01:45:26 PM »
Jim said he got mis-info from a production person, not the written instructions the way I read it.

But still much we do not know!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2014, 11:35:35 PM »
Ultimately we were the last to arrive on the mat. When we received
"The Save" we were given written instructions (as were all the other teams) that
stated that upon being told that we were going to be eliminated that we would
hand over "The Save". When I asked one of the producers about how things would
play out in the event of a non-elimination leg I was told that we would have to
use "The Save" before we were told whether or not it was non-elim which was not
how the written instructions read. Obviously, he was mistaken. I handed Phil
"The Save" as I stepped on the mat and was so so happy to get it back.

From Jim himself.

So, yes it seems Misti and Jim used it but because it was NEL they got it back. But npt sure again if they used it on Elim and if they are not last, whether or not they will get it back. Heck, Jim sounded as if the written instructions was not clear. :groan:

I think the key is the bolded part: technically Phil has to prompt the team to use the Save by stating that they are in danger of Elimination. Jim & Misti handed it over assuming they would be Eliminated, but Phil did not trigger the condition for the pass to be used.

tl;dr Phil gave the Save back, because he has to ask for it (IMO).
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2014, 11:39:33 PM »
Which means that the Save pass is literally like a protection charm which you did not need to know or decide if you need to use it, because if you're last it will automatically be used. :stare

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2014, 11:44:02 PM »
Which means that the Save pass is literally like a protection charm which you did not need to know or decide if you need to use it, because if you're last it will automatically be used. :stare
I think that's the whole point: to be guaranteed a save in one leg
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2014, 04:53:11 AM »
I think that's the whole point: to be guaranteed a save in one leg

At least Phil was honest when he said the Save was the most powerful prize yet. :res: The one about making the very next non-elimination leg an elimination leg after the team used their Save is actually very plausible. That's probably why Leg 10 here is a non-elimination leg, since Leg 9 is the last leg the Save can be used, and is probably a scheduled elimination leg.
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2014, 09:06:57 PM »
I still think the Save does not change which legs are elimination legs (due to costs and leg preparations for each leg), it changes who is eliminated on the leg where it is used.
-- theschnauzers

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2014, 09:54:21 PM »
Maybe instead of changing future NEL's as a result of the usage of the Save, they now just plan the NEL's based on the number of teams remaining?

Scenario:
The first NEL will be with 8 teams remaining.
The second NEL will be with 5 teams remaining.
The third NEL will be with 4 teams remaining.

Leg 1: Pre-determined EL - 11 teams
Leg 2: Pre-determined EL - 10 teams
Leg 3: Pre-determined EL - 9 teams
Leg 4: Pre-determined NEL - 8 teams
Leg 5: Pre-determined EL - 8 teams
Leg 6: Pre-determined EL - 7 teams
Leg 7: Pre-determined EL - 6 teams
Leg 8: Pre-determined NEL - 5 teams
Leg 9: Pre-determined EL - 5 teams
Leg 10: Pre-determined NEL - 4 teams
Leg 11: Pre-determined EL - 4 teams
Leg 12: Final Leg - 3 teams

If the Save was used on, say, leg 3:

Leg 1: Pre-determined EL - 11 teams
Leg 2: Pre-determined EL - 10 teams
Leg 3: Pre-determined EL - 9 teams --- SAVE --- NEL
Leg 4: Elimination Leg - 9 teams
Leg 5: Non-Elimination Leg - 8 teams

Leg 6: Pre-determined EL - 8 teams
Leg 7: Pre-determined EL - 7 teams
Leg 8: Elimination Leg - 6 teams
Leg 9: Non-Elimination Leg - 5 teams
Leg 10: Elimination Leg - 5 teams
Leg 11: Elimination Leg - 4 teams

Leg 12: Final Leg - 3 teams

Legs 3-5, 8-11 were affected. Leg 4 (F8)'s NEL would be moved to Leg 5 - where 8 teams remain instead. Leg 8 (F5)'s NEL would be moved to Leg 9 - where 5 teams remain.

Sorry if that was confusing  :-[ Just my theory/2 cents.

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2014, 10:45:18 PM »
^^ They probably won't do that since they would have to plan a back-up Speed Bump for all the possible NELs that would just go to waste if the Save ended up not being used.

And another thing: if a team does use the Save, they won't get a Speed Bump the next leg, right? ???
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2014, 02:48:11 AM »
If a team does use the Save, they won't get a Speed Bump the next leg, right? ???

Yup, that's what I think. :)

There are so many questions unanswered for the Save. :lol: So when the time comes, someone better ask Misti & Jim (at the elimination interview) some of the mechanics for the Save. :lol:

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2014, 04:59:18 AM »
Even if the Save enables a team to avoid the Speed Bump, if I were in the team that comes last in a NEL, I wouldn't use the Save to escape a Speed Bump in the next leg because the existence of the Save card not used will still prevent the team from elimination in the next leg. If I did use the Save this time, there's a possibility that in the next leg my team will meet hard tasks and get eliminated.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2014, 06:17:04 AM »
I really don't think the second to last place team will be eliminated just because a team use the SAVE. And technically, if the next NEL becomes an elimination leg, nothing changes right? It's just one leg from NEL becoming Elimination. That is easy to change and why would the producers need to prepare a Speedbump every leg? The team who uses the Save doesn't need to do a Speedbump on the next leg simply because it's not a NEL, so there is no Speedbump?

If it's not this case, how are the producers going to eliminate that one extra team?

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2014, 11:00:39 AM »
If a team does use the Save, they won't get a Speed Bump the next leg, right? ???

Yup, that's what I think. :)

There are so many questions unanswered for the Save. :lol: So when the time comes, someone better ask Misti & Jim (at the elimination interview) some of the mechanics for the Save. :lol:

There's reason to believe that they make the Final 3, so we'll have to ask them during their interview after the finale.