Author Topic: The "SAVE"  (Read 23205 times)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: The "SAVE"
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2014, 12:23:59 PM »
Is there an Ask Phil twitter segment for the next episode while viewers watch the episode together with Phil?

Can someone ask him personally whether he thinks the SAVE is unfair and that it should actually be removed from a team once a team decided to use it, regardless NEL or not?

I really really dislike how THE SAVE was played out this season. And that's not because it's Misti and Jim. Let's say if THE SAVE had gone to Tim and Te Jay on the first leg, then last leg they decided to use it because they struggled madly, then Phil hand it back to them because they're not last...

I would have been pissed too. If you use it, it means you use it!

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2014, 12:32:27 PM »
The "terms and conditions" of the Save seem not to be fully explained by the producers. It would be great if they provided more explicit details and not leave us guessing and speculating.

Exactly! There should have been a full explanation for the Viewers at the Starting Line.  I'm pretty certain Phil thoroughly explained how the Save works to the teams, but editing just cut it out when it aired.  :'(
The worst thing any show can do is confuse it's audience, and leave them clueless, especially when the Save is such a big part of the Season.   :res:

And if that wasn't an option, at least give more info about it on the website.
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2014, 07:41:28 PM »
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2014, 11:21:06 PM »
The "terms and conditions" of the Save seem not to be fully explained by the producers. It would be great if they provided more explicit details and not leave us guessing and speculating.

Exactly! There should have been a full explanation for the Viewers at the Starting Line.  I'm pretty certain Phil thoroughly explained how the Save works to the teams, but editing just cut it out when it aired.  :'(
The worst thing any show can do is confuse it's audience, and leave them clueless, especially when the Save is such a big part of the Season.   :res:

Nope. I was there. What you heard on TV was EXACTLY what we (and the racers heard) at the start. Only less clearly, it was so noisy there!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2014, 11:25:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure Misti and Jim or the racers were subsequently provided more info about the SAVE. In fact, maybe instructions of usage were even included inside the SAVE PASS?

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2014, 03:25:54 AM »
Basically, production made the Save a forcefield, instead of a free-pass ticket like the Express Pass. Handing the card over is just a formality, since they receive it back when they don't actually need to use it (which I assume also applies if Misti & Jim hands it over even though they weren't actually last). If this is also true, they could just keep giving it over and over to Phil up to Leg 9.

So why are people mad at this? Even if they keep handing it over when they're not last, they don't need the save since they are just saving themselves by their own effort. The Save doesn't allow them to have a lead, and it's not something that has given them any benefits. Everybody keeps acting as though the save is a power that's always active, but it's not, it's something that can only be used once. If the team doesn't need it, it means that they're good racers and deserve to still be in the race, if they get saved by a NEL then they're lucky like everyone else. How is that overpowered? How is that different from being saved by two NELs? The Dentists are already going to face a Speedbump, the same penalty any other team would have gotten. Why should they have received an additional penalty?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2014, 03:44:13 AM »
Because The Save should been a one-time pass that is based on the team's decision to use it on a circumstance they think they will be eliminated. Just like the EP. Simple as that. It's never about the NEL.

But it's not. If it had been that, then the dentists pass gets burnt on Leg 4 and they are no longer guaranteed safety on Leg 5 onwards. Now that the pass is returned to them... it's another story you see.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2014, 04:17:21 AM »

Nope. I was there. What you heard on TV was EXACTLY what we (and the racers heard) at the start. Only less clearly, it was so noisy there!

They should've made a video explaining the rules of the Save, and then post it on YouTube.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2014, 04:19:19 AM »
Basically, production made the Save a forcefield, instead of a free-pass ticket like the Express Pass. Handing the card over is just a formality, since they receive it back when they don't actually need to use it (which I assume also applies if Misti & Jim hands it over even though they weren't actually last). If this is also true, they could just keep giving it over and over to Phil up to Leg 9.

So why are people mad at this? Even if they keep handing it over when they're not last, they don't need the save since they are just saving themselves by their own effort. The Save doesn't allow them to have a lead, and it's not something that has given them any benefits. Everybody keeps acting as though the save is a power that's always active, but it's not, it's something that can only be used once. If the team doesn't need it, it means that they're good racers and deserve to still be in the race, if they get saved by a NEL then they're lucky like everyone else. How is that overpowered? How is that different from being saved by two NELs? The Dentists are already going to face a Speedbump, the same penalty any other team would have gotten. Why should they have received an additional penalty?

The save will only expire on the 9th leg. :res: That's one thing I don't like. If I could suggest on what leg it should expire, I would say 4, 5, or 6. Leg 9 is WAY TOO late.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2014, 04:22:21 AM »
Let's say if THE SAVE had gone to Tim and Te Jay on the first leg, then last leg they decided to use it because they struggled madly, then Phil hand it back to them because they're not last...

THAT. Yeah, I think if they had the Save, it should've been burned as long as they handed it over.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
I think the reason why the Save is given back to the team in case of a NEL , it's because , maybe , if you use the save in a elimination leg , you won't have to face a Speed Bumb on the next leg. But , if it is an NEL , you keep the Save but face the Speed Bumb.

We don't know the rules but it might be this.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2014, 03:29:30 PM »
I think the reason why the Save is given back to the team in case of a NEL , it's because , maybe , if you use the save in a elimination leg , you won't have to face a Speed Bumb on the next leg. But , if it is an NEL , you keep the Save but face the Speed Bumb.

Or maybe the team in front of you gets eliminated if you use the Save on an elimination leg.  If it's an NEL, no team's eliminated so you get to keep the Save.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2014, 03:52:01 PM »

Or maybe the team in front of you gets eliminated if you use the Save on an elimination leg.  If it's an NEL, no team's eliminated so you get to keep the Save.

So 3 possibilities on a Elimination Leg :

1. You use the SAVE , counts as a NEL and no need for Speed Bumb.
2. You use the SAVE , counts as a NEL and do a Speed Bumb next leg.
3. You use the SAVE and eliminated the next team ahead of you.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2014, 07:45:40 PM »

So 3 possibilities on a Elimination Leg :

1. You use the SAVE , counts as a NEL and no need for Speed Bumb.
2. You use the SAVE , counts as a NEL and do a Speed Bumb next leg.
3. You use the SAVE and eliminated the next team ahead of you.

2 doesn't work logistics wise because then production would have to have a Speed Bump Planned for every leg (in case the Save is used) which costs way too much money and effort.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2014, 01:53:14 AM »
Let's say if THE SAVE had gone to Tim and Te Jay on the first leg, then last leg they decided to use it because they struggled madly, then Phil hand it back to them because they're not last...

THAT. Yeah, I think if they had the Save, it should've been burned as long as they handed it over.
For one, it's not called "Immunity Pass", it's the "Save". It doesn't bestow immunity, it undoes an elimination, they wouldn't have been able to use it this leg since it was a non-elimination. However, I think if they used it on an Elimination Leg and they weren't last, the team who gets last in said leg is spared instead, therefore "burning" the save on another team. That, to me, sounds the fairest.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2014, 02:04:57 AM »
I don't think it works that way :( It seems like the SAVE is for their own purpose only..

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2014, 02:36:34 AM »
So the Save's rules (based on some assumptions) are:

1) It can be given to another team, but does not affect another team when used.
2) If used when not in last place or in last place on a non-elimination leg, they would get the Save back.
3) If used when last on an elimination leg, they would be Saved. If the next leg is a non-elimination leg, it would turn into an elimination leg (net loss: a wasted planned Speed Bump). If the next leg is an elimination leg, it would turn into a double-elimination leg (net loss: reprinting clues I guess). This is the part where I am assuming things. They have to plan this part with the least amount of changing logistics, and this is my best guess. ???
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2014, 03:39:31 AM »
The Amazing Race rhymes with The Confusing Save this season. Ok not.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2014, 04:06:11 AM »
Probably there is an extra NEL near the very end of the season (Final 4 or 5 perhaps), so that just in case the Save is never used, the NEL near the end of the season will be a NEL, and if the Save was used, the NEL will become an EL.

I'm not really sure, just guessing. I remember TARPh1 had a NEL without the MFE penalty because of the Salvage Pass.

Offline Leilani

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »
There really should be some strategy for using the save.  If it turns out that they get it back if they try to use it and aren't last; then, I'm really going to be annoyed.  I'm not terribly happy that they got it back on the NEL, but I can see the points being made as to why they were.  Production should have made a point to explain how it works if they want viewers to think it's a fair addition to the race.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2014, 11:28:26 AM »
THEY prob got the info...but WE sure did not! Would have been nice....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2014, 05:44:12 AM »
THEY prob got the info...but WE sure did not! Would have been nice....

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2014, 05:52:46 AM »
I think it's pretty straight forward for this season now. The team knows they are in last, use the Save on an elimination leg, is Saved and the very next NEL becomes an elimination leg.

If Misti and Jim has until Leg 8 to use it, I am pretty sure this is so that the last planned NEL at F5 or F4 will be burnt for the Save.

I will be surprise if it goes any other way.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2014, 08:40:01 AM »
I think it's pretty straight forward for this season now. The team knows they are in last, use the Save on an elimination leg, is Saved and the very next NEL becomes an elimination leg.

If Misti and Jim has until Leg 8 to use it, I am pretty sure this is so that the last planned NEL at F5 or F4 will be burnt for the Save.

I will be surprise if it goes any other way.

It's until Leg 9, and I don't like it. :groan: If I were to make the rules for it, I'd let it expire by Leg 4, 5, or 6.

Offline zerorecall

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2014, 02:21:27 PM »
I think its more simple then that, in the past they have had 3 non elimination legs, with the save in play they only have to have two, hence the save becomes one, meaning less to production but gives a fighting chance to the team that has it.