Author Topic: The "SAVE"  (Read 23211 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
The "SAVE"
« on: September 11, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »
This is the start line video of Phil describing the new twist, "The Save".

sorry for the crabby audio, they were doing roadwork right beside him!   :groan:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1S-7wDF7gdo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1S-7wDF7gdo</a>

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: The "SAVE"
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 03:05:09 PM »
It was reported from the starting crowd that Phil said it can be used up till the 9th leg, I personally did not hear him say that but makes sense.

So...do y'all LIKE this?

How do you think it works? Since NEL's are predetermined, what happens to the next to last team? Eliminated? Is that fair?

And...who do you think won it?  :hearts:

Which do you prefer... an Express Pass, a Save, a salvage Pass? Why?

:talk

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 03:18:20 PM »
Hmmmm... I know a lot of people on this board don't like the Express Pass, and I think that the Express Pass wasn't "new and exciting" anymore. I'm reserving judgement for The Save until the show airs, but I think that it it to overpowered. I liked the Express Pass, and a team who received it had to make conscious decisions when to use it, which added a mental aspect to it. What I would hate to see is if the team who got the Save made it to Leg 9 without using it. They could have easily strolled through the Singapore Leg, knowing they'd be safe, which would be very annoying.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
I really don't think it would be fair on a team who didn't come last to get eliminated. I wonder could they have a double elimination the leg after, or even a 13th leg if that is even possible? If it is used it guaranteed to provide drama :lol:

Offline Tar25fan

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 03:53:52 PM »
I think if the team with the save comes last on one leg, this leg will become nel and replace the following on
For example, misty & jim got the save, and had to use on leg 6 in the final 7 which was supposed to be an elimination leg, the next nel, which was supposed to be on leg 7 in the final 6, is cancelled
That was my idea

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 04:03:50 PM »
I liked the Express Pass, a bit sad to see it go! :P

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 04:17:08 PM »
I am not going to judge util I see it. That said, I can't wait to see what it does.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 04:31:50 PM »
NEL's are predetermined though. They cannot be changed.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 09:50:24 PM »

It doesn't mean they couldn't amend that rule for the Save. That's what I assumed they did for the Salvage Pass in the other versions. For example...

A team used the Save on:
 - An elimination leg: IF the next leg is another elimination leg, it would become a double-elimination leg.
                               IF the next leg is a non-elimination leg, it would become an elimination leg.
 - A non-elimination leg: the team would be saved from elimation either way, and maybe their Speed Bumb would be waived.
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 07:58:11 AM »

Tell that to Jeff & Jordan haters  :funny:

I think it works like the Salvage Pass, although I wonder how it work with the Speed Bump. I can foresee some fans crying out unfair easily. 

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 12:15:06 PM »
I'm not too enthused about the Save at all.  Like Bookworm said, it just seems way too overpowered.

Having said that I'm intrigued to find out when the team can use it?
- Do they have to use it at the beginning of a Leg before they Depart?
- During the Leg when they think there's a chance of being eliminated?
- Or do they just wait until Phil tells them they're the last team to arrive, and just hand it over then?  ???

It's a pity the Express Pass is gone and I'll miss it, but it was getting stale, so I'll not condemn the Save until the Season airs.

As for who I think won it, I remember saying after the first Leg was finished filming, I'd put my money on Misti & Jim winning it, and I stand by that.  :groan:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:19:23 PM by nmccarroll91 »
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 12:28:37 PM »
For some reason I think Kym & Alli have won it :lol: If not I'm with everyone else on Misti/Jim!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »
No, listen to what Phil says. It can only be used at the MAT when the team is being eliminated. Now ...  does that mean when Phil actually says you are "have been eliminated"....or do they have to GUESS? Wouldn't it be something it the team only THINKS they are last but in reality aren't?   :ascared
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »
For some reason I think Kym & Alli have won it :lol: If not I'm with everyone else on Misti/Jim!
I think that either Adam & Bethany or Misti & Jim won it.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 12:51:01 PM »
The devil really is in the details.
Phil said, “If you have the save and are facing elimination, and I give you the eyebrow, you just go like this (pulls save out of his pocket), unintelligable, unintelligable,unintelligable,unintelligable..."

So what does "facing elimination" mean? I think it means "potential for elimination" as in the team is told they are the last to arrive.
So the scenario is like this:
  • Teams with the save arrives at matt.
  • Phil says you are the last to arrive.
  • Phil raises eyebrow.
  • Commercial break for dramatic effect.
  • Team hands over save pass.

I think the only way to handle this is to have the next elimination leg be a double elimination leg...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:33:03 PM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 02:55:23 PM »
No, listen to what Phil says. It can only be used at the MAT when the team is being eliminated. Now ...  does that mean when Phil actually says you are "have been eliminated"....or do they have to GUESS? Wouldn't it be something it the team only THINKS they are last but in reality aren't?   :ascared

Haha, I just watched the video and heard what he said.  I must admit, I didn't watch the video before posting my last comment.  :lol:

Now knowing it has to be used on the mat, I think the best way to handle this is for Phil to ask the team every time they arrive at the mat whether they want to use the Save or not, BEFORE telling them what position they are.

So the scenario would go like this:
1) Team arrives at mat, not knowing their position for sure.
2) Phil asks them whether they want to use the Save.
3) They must then decide whether they need to use it or not.
4) After deciding, Phil reveals what position they're in.

This would make for drama at the Pitstop, as the Team could use it and end up wasting it, or decide not to use it, and end up being eliminated.  :hoot: 

EDIT: Also, just to add my two cents about the chances of the 2nd last team being eliminated if the Save is used on an Elimination Leg, I honestly can't see it happen.  If anything I'd say production will just make the following Leg a NEL.  I would assume it'll work the same way as the Salvage Pass did in TAR Oz 2.  ???
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 05:21:22 PM by nmccarroll91 »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 04:53:45 PM »
It just occurred to me that one element of the process in the Save will be to keep the second to last team to arrive in the vicinity of the Mat for the last place team, when that team is the team with the Save.

Production and Phil will know that the team with the Save hasn't checked in yet when the second to last team arrives, and he'll be able to direct that team to wait nearby. If the leg is an NEL, then there'll be no reason to do this, because no one is being eliminated. If I'm guessing this right, the Save can't be used unless it is an elimination leg, and the team with it checks in last.

The more interesting question is what happens if the SAVE team is hit with a penalty at the mat, and has to wait out the penalty; and is the last team to be checked in as a result. Then the scenario gets a lot more interesting.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:27:47 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Tar25fan

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »
I feel like the save winner will never be near last place anyway  :funny:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 12:05:40 AM »
http://redshopeweekly.wordpress.com/2014/09/13/save-pass-introduced-in-tar-25/

The first time it was used was in The Amazing Race Australia 2, Ross & Tarryn used it to keep Lucy & Emilia in the race, the next leg just Adrian & Dane were eliminated when they finished last. Lucy & Emilia were not given the marked for elimination penalty.

In the Israeli version of the race, HaMerotz LaMillion (The Race to the Million in English), Ronit & Liran used it to keep Andrea & Ronnie in the race. Andrea & Ronnie were eliminated in the next leg when Ronnie suffered a leg injury while doing the roadblock. It is not clear if they would incur a penalty for coming last or not, but it is safe to assume that they didn’t.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 07:01:41 AM »
The save works differently as compared to the salvage pass in TAR Aussie 2?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 07:17:42 AM »
Nice Reds!! :tup:

But the way I understood Phil...it can ONLY be used to save yourself, not anyone else, so yes different from the Salvage Pass, Jobby.
What we do not seem to know since Phil says... ' "I am giving you the eyebrow" so you pull it out' ....is the team able to use it after the 'you have been eliminated' words....or must they assume they are being eliminated? (or am I just obsessing? :funny: )

And we do not know yet how this will affect the next to last team. I like what WP says though...

The devil really is in the details.
Phil said, “If you have the save and are facing elimination, and I give you the eyebrow, you just go like this (pulls save out of his pocket), unintelligable, unintelligable,unintelligable,unintelligable..."

So what does "facing elimination" mean? I think it means "potential for elimination" as in the team is told they are the last to arrive.
So the scenario is like this:
  • Teams with the save arrives at matt.
  • Phil says you are the last to arrive.
  • Phil raises eyebrow.
  • Commercial break for dramatic effect.
  • Team hands over save pass.
I think the only way to handle this is to have the next elimination leg be a double elimination leg...

And this!! LOL At least until leg 9 if that info is correct.

I feel like the save winner will never be near last place anyway  :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 01:03:27 PM »
Personally, the "Save" card is so much better than the tired Double Express Passes. I think the ideal scenario for the use of the new twist may go something like this.
Team-Z arrives on mat. Phil says their names and pauses with a eyebrow lift. Team-Z immediately pulls out their "Save" before Phil gives the team their official Pit Stop placement.
In this type of sequence, it doesn't guarantee the team is last and if they arrived last on a predetermined non-elimination Leg, the card is wasted, end of story. Otherwise, if the team happens to arrive last on an elimination Leg, the card will work it's magic.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 01:17:15 PM »
Personally, the "Save" card is so much better than the tired Double Express Passes. I think the ideal scenario for the use of the new twist may go something like this.
Team-Z arrives on mat. Phil says their names and pauses with a eyebrow lift. Team-Z immediately pulls out their "Save" before Phil gives the team their official Pit Stop placement.
In this type of sequence, it doesn't guarantee the team is last and if they arrived last on a predetermined non-elimination Leg, the card is wasted, end of story. Otherwise, if the team happens to arrive last on an elimination Leg, the card will work it's magic.

This is exactly how it should go.  My only change to this would be for Phil just too ask them whether they want to use it or not, before revealing their placement. 
Hopefully it's just not as overpowered as I think it'll be.  :groan:

Offline Zzunk

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 02:46:11 PM »
I've never been a fan of salvage, express or save features.  It seems that those teams that win them are ones that have an athletic advantage or get on an earlier flight.  The first leg is a warm-up round for most teams and there's often a lot luck on who the top teams are.  Conversely, who ever checks in last on the first leg is often poor performing on multiple levels.

I would like TAR to create a time bank (or credit) feature where on the first 5 legs, teams get a 1-shot opportunity at the bath mat to declare they want to "bank" 15 minutes.  Thus, they have to wait out that time before getting checked in.  Some teams might decide to forfeit a first prize, just to have 15 minutes on a future leg.  The "banked" time can only be used on future designated legs (but not the final 2 legs), where they have to redeem their time credit before Phil tells them their placement. 

Ultimately, the time bank feature is available to all teams (except any eliminated team on the first leg) and they have to gamble losing time early in the race, so they can add time later when they have choked on task, got lost, stuck in traffic, etc.  Of course, teams will forfeit their credit if they tell another team -- need to have some suspense, too!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 04:13:48 PM »
I LOVE that idea Zzunk!! Doesn't hurt another team, would require good strategy and some nerves,  helps minimize the equalizers...

:like:
RFF's Golden Rule: