Author Topic: TAR25: Tim Tsao & Te Jay McGrath "College Sweethearts"  (Read 13298 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR25: Tim Tsao & Te Jay McGrath "College Sweethearts"
« on: August 28, 2014, 03:35:13 PM »
             Tim Tsao & Te Jay McGrath           

#CollegeSweethearts

Name: Timothy Tsao
Hometown: South Pasadena, California
Connection to your teammate: Dating
Current occupation: Flight Attendant
Describe what you do: Depending on the flight, I am a sky server, nurse, entertainer, mediator and safety professional. To put it simply, I get paid to serve Coke and look cute doing it.
3 words to describe you: Creative, competitive and sassy.
Favorite hobbies: Fashion, home decor, gardening and reptiles.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Being able to pursue two of my passions as careers: traveling and event planning.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Ryan Seacrest because he does it all!!
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Britney Spears, a beautiful hot mess who's a little bit country at heart. She's a performer and that's what Te Jay does best!
What scares you most about traveling? Nothing, really. I do it for a living. It's literally what keeps me going everyday.
What excites you most about traveling? Exploring other cultures and meeting amazing people along the way.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: I could probably talk to him in a nicer tone… ok, so I'm a bit bossy and controlling... at times, but other than that we’re pretty good.
Pet peeve about your teammate: Two words: blonde moment.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Greece. I’ve always had a fascination with their architecture and food! And those boys!
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? Traveling the world with my best friend and life partner. It's really time to introduce the world to Tim + Te Jay, the fabulous couple (hair flip).

Name: Te Jay McGrath
Hometown: Pasadena, Calif.
Connection to your teammate: Dating
Current occupation: Server/Female Impersonator
Describe what you do: When I'm not serving upscale Japanese Vegan sushi to L.A.’s pickiest clientele, you can find me serving glamorous fishy realness as Tia Wanna!
3 words to describe you: Charming, dorky and friendly.
Favorite hobbies: Performing in Drag, karaoke and board games/word puzzles.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Making it onto “The Amazing Race” with my partner.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? John Leguizamo
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Bryan Boy (from ANTM)
What scares you most about traveling? Missing my flight, getting lost and getting mugged!
What excites you most about traveling? New foods! New faces! New memories!
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: The Race can only better our relationship. Nothing bad can come from it.
Pet peeve about your teammate: He likes to argue with me in public. I HATE IT!
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? South Korea! I want to see where my mother grew up and eat authentic Korean food!
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I hope to be challenged physically and mentally and taken out of my comfort zone.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR25: Tim Tsao & Te Jay McGrath "College Sweethearts"
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:39:08 PM »
VIDEO!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lIUxnzqMTPo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lIUxnzqMTPo</a>
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 03:39:18 PM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:21:55 PM »
They look like teenagers not mid 20s O_O

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 04:33:00 AM »
They look like teenagers not mid 20s O_O

I agree. Some of my classmates even look older than them! :lol:

Personality-wise, they seem alright but bland. :P

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 09:33:22 AM »
ANOYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 09:48:55 AM »
ANOYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

^This tbh

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 10:06:30 AM »

^This tbh

Somehow I find this true.. :res:
But I hope there will be drama between these two, 'cause it'll look interesting lol.
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Tar25fan

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 11:14:23 AM »
Wow I thought they would be overrated, guess not

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 10:34:56 AM »
Wow I thought they would be overrated, guess not
Me too  :funny:

I'm not homophobic, but I find them annoying and I hope they get an early boot :P

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 10:41:38 AM »
It's odd, but both of them look like people I know.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 02:59:09 PM »
They do not seem annoying, tbh. I feel they can be good racers. Maybe I was somehow too excited for them, but they seem they will make a good team <3

Offline sapphirepit

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 03:59:12 PM »
I'm soooo excited for them!! If they keep the bickering on the down-low I can see them being a younger, more immature Danny & Oswald. These are my pre-season favorites right now.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »
Lol TeJay being a drag queen <3

But yeah I think they're annoying

Offline Pi/

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 07:13:37 PM »
Edit: After rewatching TAR25, I continue to like this team.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 03:56:15 PM by Pi/ »
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 02:14:51 AM »
I think they're fun and it's great that they are fans.

Offline sapphirepit

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »
I love them, totally thought the edit was going to have them going home, but it was so nice to see how excited they were to still be in it. I think they are a loveable, loud, fun team. I think they, mentally, have a big obstacle to over come. Being a beta team, as well as both being very petite, I think it is easy to be intimidated by the Jims and Adams (as Phil mentioned in a bonus clip last week), but they are proving themselves to be just as capable and hopefully Tim gets to use his airport knowledge to form an alliance with Shelley and Nici and zoom ahead.

Sadly, I see potential for a HUGE fight between them based on their personalities and I hope it never boils to that point because I hate watching couples fight.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 06:14:19 PM »
Te Jay books a couple of drag queen appearances:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204123778428253
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:24:02 PM by Plaidmoon »

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 03:48:31 PM »
anyoing to point blow my head off
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:55:59 PM by ZBC Company »

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 02:18:35 AM »
They really are sweethearts.  Very fun and cute. 

They've got a YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimandTeJay

Offline sapphirepit

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 08:54:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqXFPfMCGbY&list=UUPY3wSqgeErW9AI5qPLcLUA

Can't get enough of this bonus video with Tim falling in love with the bag and then taking it with him.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 12:48:13 AM »
I'm soooo excited for them!! If they keep the bickering on the down-low I can see them being a younger, more immature Danny & Oswald. These are my pre-season favorites right now.

Cha Cha's are not immature. They're GODS <3

kthxbye

MrDeerShank

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 08:47:04 PM »
I've heard rumours for a variety of places that Te Jay may be part of the roster of drag queens for Season 7 of RuPaul's Drag Race however that is unconfirmed knowledge so take it with a pinch of salt!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqXFPfMCGbY&list=UUPY3wSqgeErW9AI5qPLcLUA

Can't get enough of this bonus video with Tim falling in love with the bag and then taking it with him.
:lol:
That's awesome. There's a moment there too where the sound guy next to Tim appears to agree that it is a very cute tote. lol

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 07:18:32 AM »
FROM CBS.COM:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/elimination_interviews/1003494/

Elimination Interview Tim and Te Jay

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 12:55pm

Tim and Te Jay answered your questions about their time in the Race and share some of their favorite moments.

Patty B: Has your family accepted your relationship?
Te Jay:
Yes. Both my mom and dad are one hundred percent on board and very supportive.

Jared K: What is one thing you will look back on the Race, and how has your guys life change since the Race?
Te Jay:
Looking back we will have so many memories of the Race that we can share in the future. We made so many great friendship with all the teams and look forward to our relationships after the Race. Feedback has been overwhelmingly positive about our outcome and our relationship. We could not have asked for more.

Linda E: Do you think you brought more awareness to anti-bullying?
Te Jay:
Yes. Hopefully we left some sort of dent because it is a very important cause.

Sarah-Ann K: Did publicizing your relationship make your relationship stronger with one another and with your family?
Te Jay:
It brought my Mom up to speed and publicly we have so many fans that have reached out from all over the world that want a relationship just like us.

Dian M: Joining the race, you must have been ready to get surprising challenges. But which challenge was the most unexpected?
Te Jay:
I think the most unexpected was the red flag challenge because we did not expect to leave that suddenly.

Laura R: Which location was your favorite and why?
Te Jay:
Our favorite was US Virgin Islands because it was when we had the closest taste of victory.

Teri R: What made you decide to stay on that Detour? After you saw other teams were switching back and forth, did you still think you could finish before the others?
Te Jay:
The main reason we stood our ground at that challenge was because we really thought we could get the red flag and we knew that the polish challenge was taking way longer. All we had to do was grab the red flag and we would be on our way to the pit stop.

Kelly W: If you could start over the entire race what would you do differently, now knowing what the race is like? How could you prepare best for this experience?
Te Jay:
You can only prepare so little for the Race but the one thing we would do differently is choose detours the best to fit our abilities.

Omar R: Who do you feel should win?
Te Jay:
We feel that any of the teams can win because we know exactly what they are going through. Whoever wins much deserves it!
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 07:36:34 AM »
I really ended up loving their relationship, even though they bickered too much IMHO. Would love to see them again in the race tbh.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 01:51:20 PM »
Still not a fan, but they were class act of their own. Definitely more memorable than many of the teams we've seen in past seasons since UB.

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 05:13:12 PM »
From Reality TV World.com
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-the-amazing-race-eliminee-te-jay-mcgrath-talks-(part-1)-17096.php#sipf7MrvBr5727Uo.99

Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' eliminee Te Jay McGrath talks (Part 1)

By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 11/24/2014

The Amazing Race eliminated Tim Tsao and Te Jay McGrath during Friday night's eighth broadcast of the CBS reality competition's 25th season. 

The "College Sweethearts" team became the sixth team eliminated from the around-the-world competition after they arrived at the Race's eighth Pit Stop at Fort Manoel in Malta in last place.

Tim and Te Jay got stuck at the "Flag" Detour task for a long time and decided to finally switch to the "Polish" task when it was too late.

In an exclusive interview with Reality TV World on Monday, Te Jay talked about his team's The Amazing Race experience. Below is the first half. Check back with us soon for the concluding portion.

Reality TV World: How far after Brooke Adams and Robbie E. Strauss do you think you finally arrived at the Pit Stop?
Te Jay McGrath:
I think, well, I think it was about 20 minutes. So, it was kind of close. They were really looking for their taxi for a while and ours was waiting for us outside.

Reality TV World: You guys had just experienced a non-elimination leg, so did you have any hope you'd get another one this time around? It seemed like you were hanging on Phil's every word at the Pit Stop there.
Te Jay McGrath:
No, well, I mean, you always have that thought in the back of your mind that maybe the dentists [Misti Raman and Jim Raman] are going to use their "Save" and like probably gave it to [Phil Keoghan] to give to us, you know, thinking crazy things.
But we definitely knew because there's only usually two non-elimination legs in a season, so, we were just hesitant about what kind of words were coming out of his mouth at the time. (Laughs)

Reality TV World: You said in your final words you made it further than you had expected. When entering the Race, how far did you see yourselves going?
Te Jay McGrath:
Well, I think I meant we just did way more than we expected, like, the way we presented ourselves, the way we went through the challenges. Of course we knew we were going to go all the way, but I think I meant at the time it was what we already accomplished.

Reality TV World: So I think it's safe to say your downfall in the Race was that greasy-pole challenge. Could you guys talk about that a little bit? Why was it so difficult and do you think you'd eventually grab that red flag if you stuck with it or did you finally deem it impossible?
Te Jay McGrath:
Yeah, it was pretty much a nightmare. We get there and, you know, I was the person to grab the red flag, or that's at least what we agreed on. And so, I actually ran first, and then when I'm falling off, I fell off while -- you know, just as an instinct, I just grabbed the yellow flag, because, you might as well grab one when you're falling right off.
So, I grabbed the yellow flag and Tim was like, "Why did you grab the yellow flag?! You're taller than me." And I was like, "I know, I'm sorry." So he ended up having to get the red flag and Tim is a very perservere-kind of person and determined.
So, we just kept at it and kept at it until -- even when teams would come by and like try it once and we had the option to switch, yeah, but then we also had the option to just grab the damn red flag and not polish stuff. And we had the whole community of Malta basically cheering in the background, like, "Come on, Tim! You can do it!" So, we couldn't give up and it was just a lot.

Reality TV World: So even though you were eliminated, looking back, are you happy that you stuck with the task and kept trying, or do you regret not switching tasks sooner?
Te Jay McGrath:
With the outcome, of course we wish we could've switched when Brooke and Robbie came back. We should've done it then. But that was when Tim was still trying and the whole town was cheering him on, so we just didn't want to give up.

Reality TV World: Carrying those trays of drinks up the stairs seemed pretty difficult. How many attempts did that take you guys to complete and how long do you think you spent plugging away at that task?
Te Jay McGrath:
Actually that one, we made it all the way up right where -- almost where [Bethany Hamilton] dropped all of her glasses. And then Tim turned around quickly because I called his name and it crashed. And then we did it one more time, so we finished it in two attempts.

Reality TV World: Your Speed Bump looked fairly easy. How long did that take you?
Te Jay McGrath:
Yeah, that was actually kind of easy! It took, I would say, maybe 15 minutes. All we had to do was take these little stencils and trace them out and then fill them in with red paint. I don't know why everyone's saying ours looked a little sloppy; I think they looked fantastic. (Laughs)

Reality TV World: How do you feel about your portrayal this season? You two were obviously shown bickering a lot and such. Do you think the editing made it look worse than it was or maybe you feel your edit was actually flattering? (Laughs)
Te Jay McGrath:
I think our edit was, you know, we couldn't have asked for a better one. What was shown of us bickering on TV is basically how we are in life with our friends and family. They know it's like that, but you never see us, like, just mad at each other, you know? We just get it out of the way and move on. And I think we've gotten good feedback from it.

Reality TV World: Brooke and Robbie were shown saying they wanted Kym Perfetto and Alli Forsythe gone because they were shady and also a very strong team. But then Kym and Alli said they just liked spending time alone and it wasn't anything personal against the other teams. What did you guys really think of Kym and Alli both as people and Racers?
Te Jay McGrath:
Well during the Race, we were -- they didn't show it, but we were actually just as much involved with Kym and Alli as we were with the rest of the teams. I guess a lot of the time, they just really wanted to rest and just take in the scenery a little bit more than the rest of us. But they were strong female competitors and very good people.

Reality TV World: Brooke and Robbie tried to convince all the other teams to U-Turn Kym and Alli if it became a possibility. I believe you guys agreed to the plan as well, so did you mean it, or were you just trying to make Brooke and Robbie happy in the moment?
Te Jay McGrath:
Actually, we did agree because we actually had our Speed Bump ahead, and knowing that maybe a U-Turn was coming, the surfers [Bethany and Adam Dirks] had an Express Pass, the dentists had "The Save," and Tim and I started in last.
So at the Speed Bump, we were like, "We have to do anything possible to have a secure spot and finish." So we went along with that, hoping there was a U-Turn or something, but it turned out that it didn't even matter because it wasn't there. And they would've gotten it... they're so good.

Reality TV World: So it sounds like you thought it was a better strategy to eliminate a team entirely rather than flush out "The Save" or the Express Pass, right?
Te Jay McGrath:
Yeah. I think so.

Check back with Reality TV World soon for the concluding portion of Te Jay's exclusive interview.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez