Author Topic: TAR25: Misti Raman & Jim Raman "The Dentists"  (Read 63460 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR25: Misti Raman & Jim Raman "The Dentists"
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2014, 11:59:28 AM »
The Dentists' Episode 6 Commentary

After a super intense, physically grueling leg 5 and a short 12 hour pitstop (which only allows for about 6 hours of sleep) we somehow started leg 6 feeling great. I guess having our episode 4 failure behind us and being back on level ground with only 26 minutes between us and the first place team was enough to make us forget how exhausted we were.

To start the episode there was only 27 minutes separating all teams but the field quickly got spread out as Tim & Te Jay, Amy & Maya and Shelley and Nici had difficulty realizing that the stable was about 10km away and taking a taxi was definitely the only efficient way to get there.

After we made our way to the stable and back to the market we found out it was a self-drive leg. Arghh. Copenhagen all over again? Thankfully we were able to navigate pretty well although we did get off track a little bit. We made it to the pottery stand pretty uneventfully and received our Detour decision. After a few "Satan the Pony" flashbacks we decided that the detour without animals was our best course of action.

When we arrived at Camp (which was at the same location as Cream unlike some other Detours) we knew we were in second place with the Surfers arriving right after us. It definitely felt great to be back near the head of the pack after what seemed like an eternity of just trying not to be last. We blew through the tent assembly pretty quickly with just a little hiccup of using the side material for the floor. What you could not appreciate is that from the campsite we chose, the rugs for the floor were directly behind the example tent so we could not see them. We overcame that pretty quickly and were able to leave the detour in first place. Another thing they did not show was that Kym & Alli's tent was actually defective. They were struggling with the tent and asked me to come over and point them in the right direction. When I got there it was very apparent that the center seam for the canopy was off center and there was no way to assemble it to look like the sample. When I told them that they switched back to Cream. Kym & Alli were actually given a 30 minute credit at the end of the leg because of this production issue. I've had lots of people say we need to stop helping other teams but that is not how we wanted to win. Although we went into the race willing to do things to slow down the other teams we really wanted to just beat the other teams by being efficient at the tasks.

After leaving in first place we got lost a little on the way to the zip line challenge. What was very fortunate is that while we were off course we stumbled upon the pitstop so when we left the Roadblock we knew exactly where we were going. Misti zipped through the Roadblock  including the puzzle that some of the other teams struggled with. We completed the Roadblock before any of the other teams even arrived. As we were driving out we saw the Surfers coming in. We stopped to tell them what was ahead, that they were in second place and I believe I told them where the pitstop was. Adam and I had made a pact at the beginning of the third leg while at the train station in Oxford that whenever possible we would help each other get into the final 3. Adam had also helped me at the end of Leg 4 by giving me some info. Although it was not helpful it definitely helped to strengthen our alliance.

We raced to the pitstop, our third first place finish and a wonderful trip to Brazil. I believe all three of our victories were1 hour plus leads. When we are good we are really good and when we are bad we completely implode. When we get ahead and the pressure of the race fades we are able to perform our best, make the best decisions and pull away from the other teams. When we get caught up in the pack we sometimes hold it together and sometimes fall apart.

Shelley and Nici fall apart and get eliminated. Although they were always sweet to us, the tension between them and the other teams and often just the mother daughter tension between them was often palpable. Apparently that tension did not end once they were eliminated. Although I hate to see anyone leave, especially a team of TAR super-fans who have wanted this since Season 1, the air was definitely a little lighter without them. What makes a great team is intelligence, physical ability, fortitude and possibly most important is communication and teamwork. I could never do the race with a parent because of the communication component which obviously proved to be an issue for them, although it was not the cause of their elimination.

Sidenote: Yes, Robbie and Brooke are hilarious all the time. Probably even funnier when the cameras are not rolling. Adam and Bethany are just as nice off camera as on camera and yes Bethany is beyond driven.

Next Episode: Historic 300th Leg in Sicily. Go-kart racing, painting frescos and opera. Sounds like fun. ‪#‎Happy300‬

‪#‎TAR25‬ ‪#‎AmazingRaceFridays‬ ‪#‎TheDentists‬ ‪#‎TheSave‬ ‪#‎Amazing‬ Race
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2014, 10:21:29 PM »

The Dentists' Episode 7 Commentary

Even though we finished our time in Morocco with a win, Sicily was a very welcome change.  We started this leg with a 1 hour 45 minute lead on Adam and Bethany.  However, after Kym and Alli were given credit for the tent mishap they were only 2 minutes behind Adam and Bethany.  The cyclists were able to secure seats with us on the earliest flight with but Adam a...nd Bethany got stuck with a later flight and a 40 minute deficit along with all the other teams.

We knew the cyclists were not our biggest fans before we saw this episode but we had no idea that any of those comments were made until the episode aired.  We really hadn't spent any time with them up until this leg but they were definitely not our favorite either, more than anything because they were so evasive any time we asked them about their past (racing history etc.).  I can't really say what we did that was "nasty" (according to Alli) especially considering I tried to help them on the tent challenge in the last leg.  That footage was definitely both surprising and disappointing.

When we arrived at theatre our lead was cut to 10 minutes by virtue of the way the tambourines were set up.  However, Bertram had arranged a party to celebrate the historic 300th leg complete with wine, cheese and pizza.  That night we slept with all the other teams in a hostel before being bused back to the theatre the next morning.

Morning came and the race was on again.  We continued to work with the cyclists until we got into cabs and then it was every team for themselves.   During the go kart race, even though I took an early lead, Kym blazed by me on the first straight-away.  It became very apparent very quickly that my weight would be an issue (I literally weigh more than twice what Kym does).  From that point I became very focused on keeping Kym behind me so that if I didn't make it in the allotted time that she wouldn't either and we would have to do it again together.  Unfortunately, the go karts didn't have mirrors so it was difficult to keep looking over my shoulder and keep Kym from passing.  She did get by me but in the final turn I was able to overtake her with a Days of Thunder-style pass on the outside.  Dentists beat the cyclists again.

What I did not know at the time was that one of the security guards who weighs about what I do actually ran that course several times the day before to establish the 4:07 time that we had to run the course in.  Of course the producers have thought of everything, this is their 25th time doing this.

At the detour decision point we picked painters but posers was definitely way faster.  We actually had a little trouble finding the place where we had to paint but we found it just as the cyclists did and again started on level ground with them.  It was so hot with the spotlights and being so close to the ceiling but we just had to push through the discomfort.  We finished painting first, after being slowed down by the pesky missing nipples, and were headed to the pitstop in the lead.  Dentists beat the cyclists again.

The cyclists were just a few minutes behind us and with a 20 minute cab ride ahead victory was up for grabs.  Fortunately we were able to hold off the cyclists for our 4th victory and a trip to Ocho Rios.  By my count Team No Fun has beat the cyclists for 5 of the 7 legs which have aired so far.  I guess that is what makes us nasty.

5 night trip to Ocho Rios: $6,000.  Beating the cyclists after seeing all they had to say about us: priceless.

The Sweet Scientists and the Wrestlers were just 10-15 minutes behind us and were convinced that they were racing for the win.  This shows how much faster posers was because the Sweet Scientists came to painters, arrived about 20 minutes after we had arrived, had to drive to posers and still finished just minutes behind us.  When they arrived they were not very happy to find out they were 3rd.  Tim and TeJay were last but were fortunate that this leg was non-elim.

Next Episode:  Malta.  Adam and Bethany must use the Express Pass, is any team strong enough to overcome such a huge advantage?   Speedbump for T&T, can they overcome it and avoid elimination?  Rumor on Hulu is that we use The Save in leg 8.  Tune in to find out.   Definitely more drama ahead.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:25:16 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2014, 11:15:01 PM »
Peach you'll have to thank Jim & Misti for sharing these with us, so cool to get a racer's insight into the legs!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2014, 11:59:54 PM »
I love the insights too!

And somehow I  think a nice :tu right here will do!! 
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2014, 12:43:37 AM »
Loving this season, loving this team, even if they are hilariously over intensified now and then - Jim ;) Seem a lovely couple and strong team all the same
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline APABLD

• RFF Jr. Member
    • adouangchak YouTube
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2014, 06:35:56 AM »
I know they're getting a lot of hate on Facebook, but I really like this team! They race well, keep calm under pressure and work well with each other. Although the editing suggests that Adam and Bethany will win (I love them as well), I'd be happy if the dentists won.

Love their commentary as well!

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2014, 02:41:54 PM »
I had no idea i would love the commentary so much. Thank you, it is very enjoyable to read.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2014, 03:25:35 PM »
It's great to see that these guys truly enjoyed their experience and are taking the time to give fans this insight. I've grown to like them a lot!

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2014, 08:31:59 AM »
These two have developed from a team I desperately wanted to lose to a team I want to win as many legs as they can to the finale. They've grown on me, go Misti/Jim!  :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Offline nosyrabbit

• RFF Full Member
  • Talk too much.
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2014, 11:48:39 AM »
The Dentists' Episode 8 Commentary

After winning Leg 7 we left 5 minutes ahead of the cyclists but were actually 33 minutes ahead of Amy and Maya (more than I had remembered when I wrote my last commentary). We ended up being split up onto two different buses and waiting about 8 hours in a parking lot before the ferry left. Ultimately we all got on the same ferry. The producers always try to keep you on edge even when there is an equalizer ahead.

We were able to complete the drink carrying challenge pretty uneventfully after my first drop walking out the door of the bridge bar. I don't think you can appreciate how far away the knights were from the bar but it was quite a distance. What made the challenge most difficult is that the glasses were empty. As a result they were very unstable. I think it would have been much easier if the glasses were full but much more entertaining to watch Amy and Maya drop the glasses 97 times.

After arriving at the boathouse we were able to secure the last 7:30 time slot. We slept on the Mediterranean that night and awoke to a beautiful Maltese sunrise. Before I even had a chance to get my bearings the crew (who are the most amazing part of the process) started wishing me a happy Father's Day. By far the most difficult part of the Amazing Race was being away from our kids for 4 weeks and missing things like Father's Day.

Misti started the rappelling challenge strong but her rope got jammed up at the end and Alli was able to close the gap. Alli is a super strong swimmer and was able to pass Misti on the swim in the Blue Grotto. At this point we were just a few minutes behind the cyclists.

We got in a cab and raced to the Church of Saint Scholastica which proved to be very difficult. Our cabbie took us to several different churches before he got us to the right place. Unfortunately, nothing was clearly marked and we were unable to locate the detour decision point. While looking for it we stumbled upon "Flag". At most detours there would not be a clue and you would very obviously have to find the detour decision point. In this case, because it was a blind detour, there was a clue at the detour. We obviously made a ridiculous mistake by not realizing immediately we were not where we needed to be. Just like at the punting challenge in Leg #2, whenever there is another team ahead of us and the pressure of the race gets to us we don't make the best decisions. We knew we needed to stay calm and make good decisions but somehow the pressure of the race always got the best of us. It is an incredible phenomenon. You forget about the cameras pretty quickly but the pressure of the race is always there. As the legs pass by the pressure only gets worse.

We were able to find the detour decision point and we knew we did not want to go back to "Flag". We moved on to "Shine" and were able to complete it in record time. When we got there the demonstration was absolutely worthless. We had to figure out on our own how to most efficiently get through the challenge. We got pretty close and asked to be judged, which was not shown. While judging, a producer came over and ran his finger down the grooves in the armor feeling for surface imperfections. It became obvious to me that smoothness and not appearance was the judging criteria they were looking for. We were declined in our first attempt but within a few minutes were able to complete the challenge. On our way out I told the other teams how they would be judged and gave them a quick summary of the technique we used.

We grabbed a taxi, hopped on the water taxi and slid into a second place finish. I assume we would have won the leg if the surfers didn't have the Express Pass but that is completely speculation. Adam and Bethany may have been able to succeed at "Flag" but I think that challenge was nearly impossible and I don't think they could have polished the armor as quickly as we did.

Tim and TeJay may have been able to survive if they had switched earlier but when you are racing you don't have the benefit of knowing where the other teams are or what they are doing. What I think is unfair is that TeJay was not able to keep trying for the red flag. The instructions only stated that one team member must get the red and another must get the yellow. From my perspective both team members should have been able to keep trying for the red and if TeJay got the red than Tim would just have to get the yellow, which he did multiple times. However, interpretation of the rules is 100% at the discretion of the producers and they knew what their intentions were regardless of how the instructions were written.

NEXT EPISODE: Leg 9 in Singapore and no there is no net under me when I fall off the tight rope 600 feet high. Who will be eliminated? You definitely don't want to miss this one.
Got along without you before I met you, Gonna get along without you now.

Offline nosyrabbit

• RFF Full Member
  • Talk too much.
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2014, 11:49:26 AM »
The Dentists' Episode 9 Commentary

So happy, the cyclists are finally gone despite our many "missteps".

We start this leg by making a mistake I swore I would never make....again. Going into the race we swore we would think for ourselves and run our own race. However, in leg 2 we followed the cyclists lead on the punting challenge and ultimately had to do it twice because of not thinking for ourselves. This time we followed the surfers lead, assuming they had done their research and gotten the best flight, and ended up 40 minutes behind the rest of the pack. What the viewers haven't seen is how some of the travel agents have been borderline belligerent because of multiple teams asking the same questions and not trusting that they have gotten us the best flight. We have typically wanted to do our own searches on their computers and verify for ourselves before booking. This leg we just did the complete opposite and trusted Adam and Bethany had gotten the best flight. 100% our stupidity. Adam is actually very intelligent despite his portrayal as the ultra laid back surfer dude.

We arrived in Singapore, with the surfers, 40 minutes behind all of the other teams. When we got in our cab he took us to the wrong dock 15 minutes from where we were supposed to be. I don't think I have ever come so close to strangling someone in my whole life. Even though I knew The Save would burn on this leg regardless of the outcome I did not want to be last again. I also wanted someone to be eliminated. Fortunately for us Adam and Bethany ran into some issues with the authorities at the dock due to the cameras and we were able to catch up. There are constantly issues in any government facilities with filming and the cameras they use have a clock that runs even when it is not recording so the authorities always get uptight. We almost got arrested in a similar incident in Morocco.

After running a mile in extreme heat and humidity, drinking some coconut milk and then running another mile, it was on to the roadblock. Bethany knew what a wave house was and knew how difficult it could potentially be for the other non-professional surfer teams so they made the best decision they could by choosing the Fast Forward. I feel like the producers are typically extremely fair and would never alter any outcome but a surfing Fast Forward in a season with professional surfers is beyond ridiculous. It's also questionable whether or not Bethany could have completed the roadblock if she had chosen it so what better way to steer them away than a surfing challenge. Misti and I were waiting for a dentistry challenge in leg 11 and Robbie and Brooke were looking for a wrestling ring.

The clue for the tight rope roadblock said "Who wants to be a funambulista?". I knew there would be heights involved but had no idea what a funambulista was so I chose to do it. On the tight rope I was supporting a lot of my body weight on the upper rope because the lower rope was sagging so badly. I feel it just wasn't meant to support 230+ pounds. The upper rope actually gave way due to an equipment failure even though it was made to look like I just fell off by the way my comments were edited. It happened so fast that somehow I didn't even get scared. I guess it was just pure adrenaline overload. However, when they pulled me in and told me I hadn't done anything wrong and that the equipment had just failed my mind started racing. "OK, so these Australian knuckleheads couldn't put this thing together right in the first place, now they are adding extra buckles and they now have someone holding onto the rope (that's comforting) and I am supposed to go out there again. What if the safety fails this time? Splat!!!" I let my mind go there for about 30 seconds and knew if I kept thinking like that I would never make it. Somehow I cleared my head and forced myself back into race mode. We should have been given a time credit, but were not, for the amount of time from when I started the first time until the time I started the second time. However, we didn't bring it to the producers attention, they apparently didn't notice on their own and ultimately it was inconsequential in the scheme of things. We may have finished ahead of the wrestlers but if you are not first and not last it really doesn't matter.

We chose the crab detour because I knew that there would be no making up time on other teams in a challenge where you were basically a spectator and had to just sit through the cupping. The crab was boiling hot but we pushed through uneventfully and probably made up some time on the other teams. On a side note, the cupping may be the funniest thing I have ever seen on the Amazing Race

We chose not to U-turn anyone because we didn't know who had attempted the Fast Forward from the first group. We passed the Sweet Scientists at the entrance to the Marina Bay Sands hotel so we knew it wasn't them but we had not seen the wrestlers or the cyclists. In the event that the Fast Forward was so difficult that no one could complete it we wanted to leave the door open for Adam and Bethany to U-turn whoever the other team was and have a fighting chance. If we U-turned the cyclists and it was actually the wrestlers who had attempted the Fast Forward, the surfers would almost certainly be eliminated. Even though Adam and Bethany were who I felt were our biggest competition, we had made a pact in Oxford to help each other get to the final 3 (other than at our own expense) and I was committed to honoring that. If I had known the cyclists had attempted the Fast Forward we certainly would have U-turned them. I have been asked several times this week and have no idea why Robbie and Brooke did not U-turn the cyclists.

The merlions were uneventful for us although I am perplexed by the wrestlers deceiving the Sweet Scientists. I know they felt the Sweet Scientists had held out on them in Raffles Plaza but they could have potentially opened the door for the cyclists who were in my opinion a far stronger team than the Sweet Scientists. I guess that level of thinking never went on in their decision making process. Although it was made to look like the cyclists were close I believe they were 30 minutes or so behind. Not sure, I have been inaccurate with times before, but this is my best recollection.

Ultimately, the cyclists were eliminated and I have never been so happy to see a team go home. Not because of all the ugly, nasty comments they made about us, we didn't even know about most until they aired, but because they gave me race-mares every night. I felt like the cyclists were the third strongest team and for some reason I kept seeing them beating us. I was comforted when we conspired to double U-turn them and so relieved when they were eliminated.

And then there were four. Next leg...the Philippines. Will we continue to make dumb, costly decisions? Who will be eliminated? Tune in tonight at 8pm to find out.

#TAR25 #AmazingRaceFridays #TheDentists #TheSave #AmazingRace #TeamNoFun

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2014, 04:22:56 AM »
I really appreciate the blog things. Maybe Jim made it as a "winners insider point of view"? Just like: "How the winners saw their race from the very beginning"? IDK. They have some alpha-team vibe, but in a likeable way, except for when Jim gets arrogant OTT, but that is his way of behaving, so... I wouldn't like to see them getting the million.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2014, 12:38:53 PM »
Yeah, these recaps worry me. I HOPE it does not mean they win. I don't think Jim would like to recap a leg in which he got eliminated or lost the million dollars.

*I know there are teams who have done recaps and didn't win (Kym & Alli, Joey & Meghan...)

I wouldn't like to see them win, either.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2014, 01:29:46 PM »
I feel like the producers are typically extremely fair and would never alter any outcome but a surfing Fast Forward in a season with professional surfers is beyond ridiculous.
PREACH
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline nosyrabbit

• RFF Full Member
  • Talk too much.
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2014, 10:39:39 AM »
The Dentists' Episode 10 Commentary
Although this leg ends in victory it definitely did not start the way we wanted it to. We decided to head to the airport and started with the slowest cabbie ever. Bad cab rides are just part of the race but unless there is entertainment value the audience never sees them. At the airport we located the only travel agent who assured us there were no seats on the Singapore Airlines flight. When someone looks me in the eye and tells me something I typically have a tendency to believe them. We actually booked our tickets before the wrestlers but the travel agent was apparently mistaken about the flight being sold out. What the audience did not see is that Robbie and Brooke were trying to book a flight on an airline that was prohibited for safety reasons and a producer and a security staff member pulled them out of line and stopped them. When I confronted them about it and said "I can't wait until we are about to make a fatal mistake and you stop us", the blank stare on their faces told me that they hadn't considered the implications. They were just trying to keep them safe but what they should have done is allowed them to book the flight, then tell them they couldn't take it and hit them with the appropriate time penalty. Ultimately it did not matter because the wrestlers were last anyway but the penalty would have delayed their start in leg 11.
When we arrived in Manila there was an equalizer anyway but those hours of being alone and not knowing where the other teams were was pure agony. We slept in the worst hotel you could imagine and all four teams started on level ground. We all made it uneventfully to the detour decision point and got our clue at the same time.
Amy and Maya started with a major mistake by not reading their clue. I used to watch and wonder how teams could make mistakes like that but until you are on The Amazing Race you just can't understand the pressure of the competition. Was it a stupid mistake? Absolutely. How many stupid mistakes have we made thus far? Too many to count. Oh, here comes another one....
I was able to get the sidecar attached to the motorcycle really quickly but obviously the shock alluded me. What made it really difficult was the way it was tucked behind the plastic cover. I didn't see it so I started looking at the most minute details. I literally was changing nuts because the colors did not match the display. Obviously the shock was staring right at me the whole time. I really felt like attention to detail would be our strong suit going in to the race but for the second time we got lost in the minutia and failed to see the big picture.
After the sidecar we had a long and convoluted course to get to the ox challenge. We were just minutes behind Adam and Bethany and actually caught up to them at one point of our trip. Our tricycle driver didn't know where he was going and we had to stop for directions multiple times. It's agonizing to have to keep stopping because every time you talk to someone you have to stop and wait for a release to be signed. Nothing is worse than standing on the side of the road getting a release signed and watching another team pass you by.
Fortunately we were able to get there without losing too much time but we allowed the Sweet Scientists to close the gap and they got there just minutes behind us. We were very lucky to find the clue in the mud as quickly as we did. The ox actually tried getting out of the rice paddy and when he did the plow got twisted. We had to disconnect the plow and reattach it. I decided to head back to the far corner to start a systematic pattern to cover the whole area as efficiently as possible. The path I chose cut right across the spot where the clue was and Misti actually stepped on it after the plow pulled it up.
The scientists found their clue literally seconds after we did. I knew it would be a foot race to the mat but what I did not realize is that Amy and Maya had not paid their tricycle driver. We had an easy run to the mat and to our fifth victory. Although this leg was a victory it was definitely not the way I wanted the leg to play out. Start with a travel mistake, screw up a detour, get lost along the way and pull out a victory due to luck. So frustrating to be 10 legs in and still be making stupid mistakes that could easily take us out. I feel like we earned our first four victories but this one was definitely a gift.
Can we pull it together or will we continue to unravel? Tune in tonight to find out.

‪#‎TAR25‬ ‪#‎AmazingRaceFridays‬ ‪#‎TheDentists‬ ‪#‎TheSave‬ ‪#‎AmazingRace‬

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2014, 03:34:29 PM »
I love how Jim is so self-aware and recognizes mistakes and the reasons for such. He also recognized that their win was a gift, which I respect.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2014, 05:20:59 PM »
FROM CBS.COM:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/elimination_interviews/1003620/

Elimination Interview Misti and Jim

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 10:05am

Read what Dentists Jim and Misti said about coming in second on this season of The Amazing Race.

Justin P: What was the time gap between Amy and Maya and Misti and Jim?
It's hard to have a good perspective of time when in an intense situation like the final leg but I would estimate it was over 30 minutes and probably close to that between us and the surfers as well.  It was not as close as it appeared on TV.

Stephanie L: What part of the race was your favorite?
Our favorite places were Sicily, Malta and Singapore.  Our favorite tasks were the go-kart race and the zip line.  Our favorite thing about the experience was competing on such a high level and then getting to watch it all unfold with our family and friends.

Sean D: For the dentists: what was the hardest task that you had to complete?
Probably the parking space challenge in Copenhagen which we were unable to complete.  Going into the race we really felt like that was the type of challenge we would excel at so it made our failure that much more frustrating.

Brooks B: Misti and Jim, what is the secret to perfectly white teeth?
Professional tooth whitening will get your teeth their whitest but if you are still not happy veneers can make your teeth look as perfect as you want them.

Mark C: Dentists: Did you actually get to take The Save home as a souvenir of the race?
We did not get to take home "The Save" but we have asked for it and are hoping the producers will send it to us now that the season is over.

Sarah-Ann K:  Do you regret anything you specifically said or did?
We obviously regret our many racing errors (Copenhagen, the shock on the motorcycle, travel mistakes etc.) and while we made a few off color remarks there was nothing which we feel was truly offensive.  On social media some have said we were insulting to the other teams but I really don't know what show they were watching.  We never said anything derogatory about any of the other teams.  The closest we came was saying Robbie and Brooke were much stronger physically than they were mentally, which is simply an accurate assessment, and calling Amy and Maya "low hanging fruit".  The fact is they were statistically weakest of the final four and the only time they ever beat us going into the final leg was when we imploded in Copenhagen.  We were not worried about them and feel like if the final four ran 100 legs together, Amy and Maya would win the fewest.  That being said they won the only one that matters and that's why they are the winners.  As far as what was said about kicking Amy in the shin that was obviously a joke at a time when we were trying to lighten the mood and make the wrestlers feel better about there being four teams.  I feel bad for anyone offended by that comment because they obviously don't have the ability to differentiate between a serious statement and an off color joke.
One other thing that was misconstrued by many was our goal to win the most legs of any other team in Amazing Race history and be the most dominant team ever.  That was a goal, something to shoot for, a talking point.  That does not mean we think we are the most dominant team ever but when you set lofty goals and give everything you have to achieving them the result is typically pretty good even when you fall short.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2015, 06:47:42 AM »
I feel like the producers are typically extremely fair and would never alter any outcome but a surfing Fast Forward in a season with professional surfers is beyond ridiculous.
PREACH

I feel that Jim and Misti could have been the unintended beneficiaries of this "unfair" task. If Kym and Alli had won/survived that leg, Jim and Misti might not have even finished 2nd.

Offline Cyzoran

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2019, 07:37:01 PM »
I have read on Facebook (through a fan page of someone who knows Misti’s sister) that Jim has passed away today. Sad news if true.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2019, 10:55:06 PM »
RIP Jim. So sad for heartbreaking loss :'( :'( :'(

He was one of the greatest racers in The Amazing Race. He and Misti were fought hard and raved enough to run the legs here in my home country, The Philippines. They shared with their experiences in the life of the rural Philippine countryside.

The Race missed you.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2019, 11:34:23 PM »
This may be true,but has not yet been confirmed. Please hold off for now.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2019, 10:35:02 AM »

I know that all of you will join me in mourning the loss of TAR 25 Jim Raman.

Jim was a passionate Amazing Race Fan and Contestant. He loved TAR and the competition immensely and remained a huge fan of subsequent seasons.

Our heartfelt sympathies to his wife Misti, and children Lexi and Jimmy, his friends and family, and all of his patients and co-workers at Irmo Smile.

Info on services to follow.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Cyzoran

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2019, 11:00:46 AM »
Very sad. Great racer. Seemed like great people.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2019, 11:03:13 AM »
Really sad to hear this.

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2019, 11:10:56 AM »
That is devastating news.  :'(

My heart goes out to Misti, their kids, and Jim's family.