Author Topic: TAR25: Keith Tollefson & Whitney Duncan "Team Nashville"  (Read 8786 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR25: Keith Tollefson & Whitney Duncan "Team Nashville"
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:23:52 PM »
Keith Tollefson & Whitney Duncan   

#TeamNashville

Name: Whitney Duncan
Hometown: Nashville, Tennessee
Connection to your teammate: Fiancé
Current occupation: Singer/Songwriter
Describe what you do: I write songs and I sing them.
3 words to describe you: Fun, adventurous and brave.
Favorite hobbies: Hiking, reading and kayaking.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Finding Keith.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Kate Hudson, because she seems down to earth and funny.
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Matthew McConaughey, because he's the all-American hunk and funny.
What scares you most about traveling? Nothing!
What excites you most about traveling? Seeing cool places with my soul mate.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: We both can be really stubborn. We are so competitive and when we get in game mode, kindness goes right out the window.
Pet peeve about your teammate: He thinks he knows everything.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Thailand, New Zealand, Samoa (where we fell in love), and the Dominican Republic (where we were going to get married before we had to move the wedding to be on the Race).
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? An adventure! What a way to begin our marriage!

Name: Keith Tollefson
Hometown: Nashville, Tennessee
Connection to your teammate: Fiancée
Current occupation: Energy Advisor
Describe what you do: Audit homes in Nashville for energy efficiency. Improve energy performance for residential homes.
3 words to describe you: Competitive, driven and friendly.
Favorite hobbies: Surfing, traveling and playing any sport.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Finding my soul mate.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? None. I want people to know just me.
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Dolly Parton/Elvis.
What scares you most about traveling? Not being able to read or understand another language and snakes.
What excites you most about traveling? The adventure of something new and the unknown.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: I’m way too annoyed listening to long stories or explanations (I’m a guy). I need to be less mean and more of a compassionate listener.
Pet peeve about your teammate: She pees with the door open! Close the door!
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Bali, Indonesia. It seems like another world and a place to escape.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? Increased appreciation and patience for her. Couples tend to lose this slowly as time goes on.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR25: Keith Tollefson & Whitney Duncan "Team Nashville"
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »
VIDEO!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BFtJ9E5tp-k" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BFtJ9E5tp-k</a>
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:27:59 PM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »
And CONGRATULATIONS to Keith and Whitney who recently were married in Tennessee!

Wishing you much joy and happiness!

http://blog.gactv.com/blog/2014/08/01/whitney-duncan-and-keith-tollefson-are-married/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:34:54 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 04:20:51 AM »
Out of all the Reality show crossovers we got, Keithney is definitely one I didn't see coming :lol:

But I liked them enough on Survivor, so I have high hopes for them :D

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 09:30:36 AM »
 :gaah: keith anyoin but whintey is hot

Offline Tar25fan

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 11:25:53 AM »
I find this to be the most horrible choice of the cast. The girl was extremelly inv and utr in her survivor season, nothing to add at all

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 02:27:20 PM »
Liked Keith, rooted for Whitney on Survivor, so I'm glad to see them on TAR and get to know them better! :conf: One of my faves :3

Out of all the Reality show crossovers we got, Keithney is definitely one I didn't see coming :lol:
I would've predicted them more than NaNa, tho :lol:

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 01:18:59 AM »
This one totally threw me for a loop - didn't even realize they were engaged!

I'll root for them, but Whitney got on my nerves towards the end of her Survivor season. Keith seemed much more level-headed, hopefully he mellows her out big time to keep up on the race.

Woo crossovers!
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 07:03:06 AM »
Pet peeve about your teammate: She pees with the door open! Close the door!

loooooool
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 10:12:33 AM »
Keith & Whitney... congratulations on the pre-premiere marriage! :conf:

I do not think I have watched the Survivor season the two appeared on so I can't say much for their personalities. However, I will say they make a cute engaged pair. Hopefully we get some memorable moments from this team with one-liners and such lovable humor so we won't forget a team who will most likely be as genuine and kind as Kris & Jon and TK & Rach (yes, I remember TK & Rachel more than some other dating teams).

(Fun fact: We've had a total of four country singers on TAR: Canaan [who just released a radio single], Caroline, Jennifer, and now Whitney.)
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline selfeviction

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 08:19:11 PM »
I really liked Whitney on Survivor, hope they deliver.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 02:02:06 PM »
Hear Whitney Duncan 'Race' to a Good Time in 'Roll All Night' — Song Premiere

'Amazing Race' contestant co-wrote the feel-good track with Lady Antebellum's Dave Haywood and Josh Kear

Whitney is known outside of the country music world for her role on the 23rd
season of the hit CBS show, Survivor. She met her now-husband, Keith Tollefson
on the show, and the two postponed their wedding to appear as one of 11 teams
competing for a $1 million prize on the 25th season of The Amazing Race. While
both CBS programs involve grueling physical challenges, Duncan says the one
lesson she carried over from Survivor to Race was more of the mental
nature.

"I learned how to keep my mouth shut!" she says with a smile.
"You learn how to be accepting of people. I had that concept before, but it was
really put to the test. They cast crazy characters with really Type A
personalities!"

Duncan insists she and Tollefson aren't in the reality
show business to put on any sort of a "showmance." Her attraction to both
television programs was born out of love for a thrill ride, and turned into the
thrill of competition.

"Our main goal was to have fun. Well that went
right out the window on day one," she reports. "That competitiveness kicks in,
and that's all you can think about. There's a time for loving and kissing and
calling each other 'honey,' but that's not during one of the challenges. I don't
mince words; he doesn't either. We are in game mode."

The Amazing Race premieres this Friday, September 26th at 8 p.m. ET on CBS.

Read more and hear her new single here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/whitney-duncan-roll-all-night-20140923#ixzz3EAOhJYS2
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 02:05:05 AM »
At least they're not #TeamSurvivor or what :groan:

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 03:29:58 PM »
Elimination Interview:Keith and Whitney

Andy P: Which was more difficult? Survivor or Amazing Race?
Whitney: I think Survivor is harder since it's more of a mental game.
Keith: I think the Race was harder for me mentally and Survivor was much harder physically. Because of the mental aspect, the Race was harder.

Ken P: What one thing would you do differently if you could start this leg of the race over again?
Keith: I wouldn't have gotten into a fight with Shelley and Nici.
Whitney: Keith should have said, "if you want the one second lead, go ahead and take it." 

John K: Was there any talk with the other teams to U-Turn Jim and Misti?
Whitney: Yes, Keith had been talking to a few of the teams telling them it would be strategically smart to get the save out of play but nobody wanted to make Jim mad.

Verne H: Has working together on Amazing Race opened your eyes to your partner's personality you hadn't seen before?
Keith: No, we both knew we were stubborn from the moment we met!
Whitney: We're comfortable enough in our relationship where if we bicker we know it's just part of the game.

Jennifer M: What was the most interesting place you visited on the Race?
Whitney: My favorite was Shetland islands. We really love camping on the beach.
Keith: The Shetland islands were amazing, it was like taking a step back in time. It was gorgeous.

Desirea D: After the places you went and experiences you had, where do the two of you plan to honeymoon?
Whitney: We got married 3 months ago and just got back from our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. We love the beach!

Source:http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/elimination_interviews/1003357/

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »
'The Amazing Race' eliminates former 'Survivor' couple Keith Tollefson and Whitney Duncan

The Amazing Race eliminated Keith Tollefson and Whitney Duncan during Friday night's fifth broadcast of the CBS reality competition's 25th season. 

The "Engaged Couple" and former Survivor castaways from Boston, MA, became the fourth team eliminated from the around-the-world competition after they arrived at the Race's fifth Pit Stop at Al Matjar Carpet Shop in Marrakech, Morocco, in last place.

"We had a horrible day. Everything pretty much just fell apart. But it definitely was worth postponing the wedding to be on the Race," Whitney explained. "Everything in this Race confirmed why we're right for each other."

"She's the only one who can put up with me, so it works out," Keith joked.

"And he's the only one that can put up with me," Whitney added.

"Perfect," Keith said.

The fifth episode of The Amazing Race's 25th season began with "Urban Bike Racers" Kym Perfetto and Alli Forsythe leaving the fourth Pit Stop in first place at 9:48PM.   

Kym and Alli were then followed by "Dating Pro Wrestlers" Brooke Adams and Robbie E. Strauss at 12:18AM, Keith and Whitney at 12:22AM, "Food Scientists" Amy DeJong and Maya Warren at 12:37AM, "College Sweethearts" Tim Tsao and Te Jay McGrath at 1AM, "Mother and Daughter" Shelley Porter and Nici Porter at 1:59AM, "Married Surfers" Bethany Hamilton and Adam Dirks at 2:19AM, and "Married Dentists" Misti Raman and Jim Raman at 2:29AM.

The teams' first set of clues instructed them to fly more than 2,000 miles from Europe to Marrakech in Northern Africa. After touching down, they must search the marketplace called Jemaa El-Fnaa for the food cart garage, where they'd find their next clue.

The first available flight didn't leave until 8:25AM the following morning, so Kym and Alli lost their lead on the other teams.

While waiting in the airport, Misti and Jim told everyone they had experienced a non-elimination leg and therefore didn't need to use their "Save," which will prevent them from going home if they finish a future leg in last place. They hoped it would stop other teams from U-Turning them, because if they couldn't be ousted, it might be a waste -- unless the teams wanted to flush the "Save."

After landing, Shelley and Nici made a deal with their cab driver to stick with them for $100 an hour.

Most teams got to the cluebox at the same time and ambushed it.

The teams then had to help local food vendors roll out their restaurants and set up shop, which was a daily routine for all the carts. They also learned there would be a U-Turn board ahead.

Once Misti and Jim arrived at the food-vendor task, they learned they had to complete a Speed Bump task before moving forward as a consequence for finishing the prior non-elimination leg in last place.

For the Speed Bump, Misti and Jim were instructed to gather eight rugs from a carpet shop and use a pole to carefully hook them on a wire strung along the walls of a nearby hotel, displaying them for sale. Misti and Jim really struggled with the task and grew frustrated.

Keith and Whitney set up their vendor's cart in first place. They were then followed by Kym and Alli, Brooke and Robbie, Shelley and Nici, Amy and Maya, Adam and Bethany, Tim and Te Jay, and finally Misti and Jim, who were about 12 minutes behind the other teams at this point.

The teams then had to make their way on foot to the old city of Bab Debbagh Tannery and look for their next clue.

Keith and Whitney got lost in the streets and called it "a rat maze." However, they were still the first team to make it to the tannery. They were then followed by Amy and Maya, Brooke and Robbie, Adam and Bethany, Tim and Te Jay, Kym and Alli, Shelley and Nici, and Misti and Jim.

It then became time for one member from each team to complete a Roadblock task.

For the Roadblock, the Racers had to finish preparing skins by scraping and pulling the hair off three hydes and then deliver three bundles of prepared hyde by bicycle to a nearby cobbler. Once the shoemaker received the leather he needed for slippers, the Racers would return to the tannery and then earn their next clue.

The following people opted to do the Roadblock on behalf of their teams: Amy, Keith, Bethany, Brooke, Kym, Misti, Nici, and Tim.

Keith and Whitney finished the Roadblock in first place and they were soon followed by Shelley and Nici and Brooke and Robbie. The rest of the finishing order was not clear although Amy and Maya finished in seventh place and Tim and Te Jay completed the task in eighth place.

Keith claimed Shelley and Nici pushed him when the two teams were fighting to receive their next clue. The girls yelled at him in return, saying Whitney needed to be at his side in order to receive the clue. Whitney, however, insisted she was standing right behind them the whole time.

The teams then learned they must make their way to Ben Youssef Medersa and search for their next clue.

Adam and Bethany got there before any of the other teams. They were then followed by Kym and Alli, Brooke and Robbie, Shelley and Nici, Keith and Whitney, Misti and Jim, Amy and Maya, and finally Tim and Te Jay.

The teams then had to complete one of two possible Detour tasks: "Twirl Time" or "Tea Time."

"Twirl Time" required the teams to dress as street performers and play musical instruments. One team member had to twirl a tassel on his or her hat while using a clapper. The other team member had to play the drums. If the team could twirl the tassel and keep the beat for one consecutive minute, they'd receive their next clue. 

"Tea Time" required the teams to carry a heavy Moroccan tea set to a restaurant. One team member had to use a single arm to balance a tray full of glasses while the other team member performed a traditional pour. When they served correctly, they'd receive their next clue.

Kym and Alli, Shelley and Nici, Amy and Maya, and Keith and Whitney opted to take on the "Twirl Time" task. Adam and Bethany, Tim and Te Jay, Misti and Jim, and Brooke and Robbie wanted to try the tea task.

Keith and Whitney struggled greatly, and while Whitney was desperate to change tasks, Keith shot the idea down. However, after a long time of failed attempts, the couple decided to quit and try the tea task. They ended up succeeding.

As a result, Adam and Bethany finished the Detour task in first place, and they were soon followed by Kym and Alli, Shelley and Nici, Tim and Te Jay, Misti and Jim, Brooke and Robbie, Amy and Maya, and Keith and Whitney.

The teams were then instructed to make their way to Le Grand Balcon Du Cafe Glacier and search for their next clue. This is where the U-Turn board awaited the eight teams.

Kym and Alli got their first and chose not to U-Turn anybody. Adam and Bethany got their next and also declined to take advantage of the opportunity. Shelley and Nici then arrived at Le Grand Balcon Du Cafe Glacier and chose to U-Turn Keith and Whitney.

Shelley and Nici accused Keith and Whitney of "playing dirty." The girls therefore thought the couple was going to experience some karma.

Four more teams then arrived at the U-Turn board and opted out of U-Turning anyone.

The teams were Tim and Te Jay, Brooke and Robbie, Misti and Jim, and Amy and Maya. Keith and Whitney got to the destination in last place and realized they had been U-Turned. They regretted fighting with Shelley and Nici and then went back to the musical instruments-task. It apparently took them two hours and nine minutes to complete it.

The teams' next set of clues sent them directly to the Pit Stop at Al Matjar Carpet Shop.

Kym and Alli met The Amazing Race host Phil Keoghan on the Pit Stop mat in first place. For finishing the leg before any of the other teams, Kym and Alli each won themselves $5,000.

Adam and Bethany claimed second place, and Tim and Te Jay arrived at the mat in third place.

Fourth place went to Shelley and Nici, and they were soon followed by Brooke and Robbie in fifth, Misti and Jim in sixth place, Amy and Maya in seventh, and finally Keith and Whitney in eighth -- and last -- place.

"It hurts," Keith noted.

"Yup, it sucks," Whitney said.

"It's hard when you're competitive and you lose," Keith added.

"Yeah, if we just picked the other Detour, we probably could've been first and win that honeymoon!" Whitney told Phil.

"We'll just have to pay for it now," Keith said.

Read more at http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/the-amazing-race-eliminates-former-survivor-couple-keith-tollefson-and-whitney-duncan-16971.php#JumZRAuOH07ufAbq.99

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 06:38:23 PM »
FROM CBS.COM:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/elimination_interviews/1003357/

Elimination Interview: Keith and Whitney

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 10:20am

Newlyweds and #TeamNashville couple Keith and Whitney answer fan questions and compare their Amazing Race and Survivor journeys. 

Andy P: Which was more difficult? Survivor or Amazing Race?
Whitney:
I think Survivor is harder since it's more of a mental game.
Keith: I think the Race was harder for me mentally and Survivor was much harder physically. Because of the mental aspect, the Race was harder.

Ken P: What one thing would you do differently if you could start this leg of the race over again?
Keith:
I wouldn't have gotten into a fight with Shelley and Nici.
Whitney: Keith should have said, "if you want the one second lead, go ahead and take it." 

John K: Was there any talk with the other teams to U-Turn Jim and Misti?
Whitney:
Yes, Keith had been talking to a few of the teams telling them it would be strategically smart to get the save out of play but nobody wanted to make Jim mad.

Verne H: Has working together on Amazing Race opened your eyes to your partner's personality you hadn't seen before?
Keith:
No, we both knew we were stubborn from the moment we met!
Whitney: We're comfortable enough in our relationship where if we bicker we know it's just part of the game.

Jennifer M: What was the most interesting place you visited on the Race?
Whitney:
My favorite was Shetland islands. We really love camping on the beach.
Keith: The Shetland islands were amazing, it was like taking a step back in time. It was gorgeous.

Desirea D: After the places you went and experiences you had, where do the two of you plan to honeymoon?
Whitney:
We got married 3 months ago and just got back from our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. We love the beach!
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »
Two up (^) :lol:

But you forgot the pic.  :funny:
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 03:32:14 AM »
Amazing Race's Keith and Whitney: We Shouldn't Have Fought With Shelley and Nici

Joyce Eng

Oct 27, 2014 04:56 PM ET
by Joyce Eng

One mat spat was all it took to get Keith and Whitney eliminated from The Amazing Race. While waiting for a clue, the Survivor alums got into it with Shelley and Nici, who weren't going to let bygones be bygones: The mother-daughter duo U-Turned Keith and Whitney, who struggled through the hat-tassel-twirling Detour. "I regret talking back to [Shelley]," Keith tells TVGuide.com. "I was just caught in the moment ... and as soon as I saw there was a U-Turn, I knew they would use it on us." Check out what else the couple has to say about the fight, postponing their wedding for the show and how Race compares to Survivor.

What was it like watching your slow demise?
Whitney: It was hard to watch. It is what it is. It was much more intense at the time than it is now. When we decided to do this, we said the No. 1 thing was to have fun. That's really hard for two competitive people. When we get in game mode, we're super intense.
Keith: We had a lot of fun. It was an amazing adventure. ... Even though we lost, we still wanted to finish it because we were enjoying the fact that we were getting to do this. We didn't want to give up even though we knew we were more than likely last. We weren't going to wait for Phil [Keoghan] to come find us.

They showed the time elapsed was 2 hours and 9 minutes. Was that from the start of the Detour or from when you came back to do it the second time?
Whitney: That was from the start of the Detour. When we came back to do it, I think I knocked it out in like 10 minutes. It was really quick. It got dark, but there wasn't really as much time that went by as you would think.

Do you regret not picking the tea Detour from the start?
Whitney: [Laughs] Every day! Every single day! We really picked our Detours poorly. You don't really know what you're going to be doing, so you pick one that sounds right for you, and we consistently picked the wrong ones.

Why didn't you switch sooner?
Whitney: I actually wanted to, but the other one was really far away. You don't see how far away it was. That one was the better one to do. This one was pretty close to the U-Turn. I wanted to change and Keith didn't. We just let a little too much time go by before we switched, but we were U-Turned. It didn't really matter.
Keith: The head-spinning one was probably the better challenge if you were able to do it. That's the simplest way to put it. This was close to the U-Turn, so if we had gotten it faster, we would've gotten to the U-Turn first, obviously. No team can do it all, but it depends where you are in the race. If there's a U-Turn involved, that just snowballs.

You were expecting to get U-Turned after your fight with Shelley and Nici.
Whitney: Yeah, I knew we were going to get U-Turned. We knew they wouldn't play strategically. They're not that type of people. They weren't going to make the smart decision; they were just going to go off of emotion.
Keith: After that confrontation, Whitney said, "We're definitely getting U-Turned or we need to get there first to U-Turn them." And I said, "No, we're not going to U-Turn them. We're going to U-Turn whoever makes sense strategically." I'm not going to waste my U-Turn on emotion. If I had gotten there first, I would've wanted to U-Turn Misti and Jim because they have The Save and I need to get The Save out of play.
Whitney: Absolutely. There's no way you would've let me go on emotion. That was my feeling at the time, but as the day went on, it wouldn't have made sense. They were going to explode on each other eventually. At that point, I knew they weren't strong competitors. They were competitive, but not strong.

What happened there exactly? She obviously thought you, Whitney, weren't close enough to Keith to get the next clue.
Keith: Everybody found where to give our hides to at the same time, as you saw. We all got back to the mat at the same time and they weren't ready to give all of us our clues, so Shelley and Nici started hugging the mat. I stood there right in line and was waiting for the clue while Whitney grabbed our bags because they made us set our bags down, and she came running over to me. Every team was right there, so there was no way she could physically be right next to me. She was being blocked and that's when Shelley started grabbing me on the arm, trying to get me off the mat. I overreacted. I got angry and I was yelling, "You can't touch me! You're not allowed to touch me!" You're not allowed to touch other teams; that's in the rules. And then she started screaming back at me and that's when I went off. I should've just let them go in front of me because it didn't give me any advantage in the Race. Instead of overreacting, I should've just said, "Go ahead. You can be two seconds in front of me because it literally makes no difference." That's what I should've done.
Whitney: We should've handled it better. We should've been the bigger team and said, "Go ahead."

We know from two weeks ago that they're very emotional and prone to outbursts, to say the least. What was your relationship with them like before this?
Whitney: I think they butted heads with almost every team. That whole day, it led up to that point. We were already frustrated with them. They tried me from going through the customs line. They kept trying to tell people not to let us through. That's just not cool. But they were that way to everybody.

The extra clip online showed that you used your U-Turn on Amy and Maya.
Whitney: Yeah, we just put up there because at that point, we knew we were gone, so it didn't matter.
Keith: There was a little chance that they might've still been doing the twirling because it was pretty tough.

How does The Amazing Race compare to Survivor?
Keith: For me, it's a lot more difficult. There's no downtime. You're constantly racing and even when you have a little break, you have to wash your clothes, take a shower. It's really not a break at all. I overanalyze everything, so my brain never got a break. At any point, you make a mistake and that could be the end of your race. For me, it was really hard. I had no mental break. It was constant stress.

We saw that with the treasure hunt the first leg.
Whitney: Oh, yeah! I would totally agree with that. In a way, Survivor's harder because it takes away all of your comforts period. It's more of a mental game. Amazing Race is everything. It's mental, social and a really hard physical game as well. It's much harder.

You postponed your wedding to do the show, but you've since gotten married. Congratulations!
Whitney: Thank you!

Was the Race still worth it even though you didn't win the $1 million for your honeymoon?
Whitney: It's OK! We bought our own honeymoon! [Laughs] We're really glad we did this. We have no regrets about postponing our wedding. How often in life can you go around the world, see these different places, do these different things? It's a really huge opportunity.
Keith: Just to be blessed with being asked is amazing in and of itself. Going to these places, obviously, is No. 1, but the things you get to do in those countries are one in a million. People can go to these places, but some of the things we get to do are so unique and a lot of people won't ever get that chance. I mean, doing the torch-building in the Shetland Islands was so cool. It's something I never thought I'd be able to do: build a Viking torch.

Or twirl a hat in Morocco.
Whitney: We're not gonna talk about that! [Laughs]

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Race-Keith-Whitney-1088468.aspx

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 09:51:12 AM »
Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' eliminees Keith Tollefson and Whitney Duncan talk (Part 1)

Reality TV World: How far behind Amy DeJong and Maya Warren do you think you finally arrived at the Pit Stop?

Whitney Duncan: We're not really sure. Keith, do you know?

Keith Tollefson: How far behind Amy and Maya? Honestly, I think we were probably a little over an hour.

Reality TV World: After you got eliminated, tell me how you guys were feeling about Shelley Porter and Nici Porter. It seemed like you regretted fighting with them because they ended up U-Turning you. I guess, was that a sincere regret or were you just lamenting the fact that one fight had basically cost you the Race?

Whitney Duncan: No, it was actually a sincere regret for us. We should've been the bigger team and said, "Yes, you know what Shelley? If you want the one-second lead you're going to get from getting this clue right now, go ahead."

We should've been much better about that, but you know, emotions run high, we were really stressed out. That was not really our first run-in with them that day.

They had already been super aggressive that morning in trying to block us from getting in the customs line, actually, when we got to Morocco. So this was frustration built up with this team for a while. So, yeah, it all came to a head and we should've just let them go.

Keith Tollefson: It is a situation that I regretted. I overreacted. I shouldn't have -- I let my emotions get the better of me. And ultimately, that's what can cost you the Race, especially when that leg, having a U-Turn, that was not a good leg to lose my temper. She was calling me and I just couldn't hold it back anymore. I got frustrated and I started yelling at her. It was just the dumbest thing on my part.

Reality TV World: After watching the episode back on TV last night, do you still stand by the fact Shelley or Nici pushed you for no reason? Do you remember the situation differently than it looked on TV or no?

Keith Tollefson: Well, we all got there almost at the exact same time. So every team was there. Shelley and Nici were kind of celebrating and talking to each other and being really happy, and I went right to the mat to get the next clue.

They weren't ready for me, so Whitney went and grabbed our bags and everyone could merge there at the same time, so she couldn't get next to me. It wasn't physically possible. Well, Nici just started screaming at me and trying to pull me off the mat, saying that my partner wasn't there.

And at that point, I started kind of just yelling, like, "You're not allowed to touch me! That's one of the rules on the Race; You can't physically harm or touch another team." So I got really upset and then she started doing it again. And so, I just let my emotions get the better of me.

Whitney Duncan: Yeah, well, I wasn't technically -- when he got to the mat, I wasn't there. I was running up there. It took me two seconds to get there and the guy wasn't ready to hand us our clue anyway. I don't think they expected everyone to get back at that moment, so they weren't ready for us.

They gave me time to get to the mat and then they blocked me from actually getting up there, because at that point, they were in an altercation. And I was like, "I'm right here! I'm right behind you." But yeah, see, the problem is, Nici did get to the mat first, but she went past the mat and started celebrating.

And in the time they did that, Keith got to the mat and was standing there waiting for the clue. So, you know, the whole thing was dumb. We should've just let them go in front because there was no lead. But at that point, they were already so frustrating throughout the day. I think it just -- or like Keith said, emotions just got the best of both of us.

Reality TV World: Whitney, you said if you had originally picked the tea Detour task, you guys would likely still be in the Race and you might've even won that leg. How long did that tea task take you and how long did the "Twirl Time" take you -- the first and second times you attempted it?

Whitney Duncan: Yes, the tea time took us maybe 10 minutes, because Keith was the pourer and I held it with my arms, and our attention to detail was really good -- well, his is really good. Mine's not so great. But we blew through that challenge.

And the head-twirling challenge, I just needed to move my head and my neck at the same time and it was just terrible. It probably took us over an hour the first time we did the tassel thing and then the tea challenge took us about 10 minutes.

But getting to the tea challenge was what took so long. That was the hard part of that challenge, was actually finding it. And then, once we got back to the twirling thing, it maybe took 15 to 20 minutes.

Reality TV World: So it sounds like you got lost on your way to the "Tea Time" Detour task?

Whitney Duncan: Oh no, we actually didn't get lost once on the Race, which is unheard of, I think. No, it just took a while to get there. It was through all these crazy streets and getting directions. We got there without getting lost. It just took a while. It was a pretty good way away from the head-twirling challenge.

Reality TV World: Whitney, you mentioned twice you wanted to quit the twirling Detour task. The second time, you actually followed through with that. But the first time, Keith shot down the idea and asked you to stick with it. If you actually quit right away, do you think that would've altered how that leg turned out for you two or do you think it wouldn't have made much of a difference?

Whitney Duncan: I think we still would've been U-Turned, for sure, but it could've had a different outcome. I mean, who knows! But I think, at that time, he really believed that I was going to be able to do it. I should've been more outspoken and said, "No, we're switching now. I can't do this." And I didn't do that. So, that's my fault.

Reality TV World: The show made it look like Shelley and Nici were deciding whether to U-Turn yourselves or Misti Raman and Jim Raman, who still had that "Save" advantage in their pockets. Based upon what you knew of the other teams, would you say Shelley and Nici's decision was definitely just personal? Do you think there's a chance they also viewed you guys as their biggest threat?

Whitney Duncan: They weren't the kind to play strategically. They went based off of emotion. I knew when that happened, judging how they had been the whole race, they would take out the revenge on us.

I knew it! I said, "If they get to the mat first, we're U-Turned." So, I just think -- they might've said they were thinking Jim and Misti because they knew that was the smart move, but I don't think they had any doubt. They saw us and were like, "Done."

Keith Tollefson: If the situation was reversed and we had gotten to the U-Turn mat, I absolutely would not have U-Turned them. There was no strategy. I wanted to U-Turn Misti and Jim. I explained that to all the other teams, "Everyone, we need to get 'The Save' out of play otherwise they'll get a free pass every week."

Well, everyone kind of agreed but nobody apparently believed me enough to make that move. Nobody wanted to, what they thought, would be making an enemy. And so, you could see when Misti and Jim got to the mat, they were almost laughing, like, "Our names are not here?! We don't have to do both challenges?! Wow." But we U-Turned no one.

Whitney Duncan: So they got a free pass! (Laughs)

Read more at http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-the-amazing-race-eliminees-keith-tollefson-and-whitney-duncan-talk-%28part-1%29-16974.php#sEz5e4xJdSkht3HQ.99

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 09:54:48 AM »
Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' eliminees Keith Tollefson and Whitney Duncan talk (Part 2)

Reality TV World: Which option do you think would've been a better way to utilize the U-Turn -- to flush Misti Raman and Jim Raman's "The Save" advantage out or to try and eliminate another team entirely? I'm assuming you thought it was targeting Misti and Jim?

Whitney Duncan: Absolutely. We could've totally done damage control with Misti and Jim. Misti's really sweet. We could've said, you know, "It was nothing more than a strategic move to get 'The Save' out of the game." We did respect their game. They wouldn't have went out. They still would've been in the game. So, I think it was definitely the smarter decision.

Keith Tollefson: They understood the game enough that I know he probably would have told me, "Hey, I would've done the same thing. I absolutely would've U-Turned you to get 'The Save' out of play, and I know that you would've stayed in the Race, so it's not a big deal and we can race again."

He pretty much said it throughout the Race, "We want to play the most strategic game that The Amazing Race has ever seen."

Reality TV World: You two definitely had an interesting dynamic while racing. It seemed like you bickered a lot, but when you did, you guys thought you were getting along beautifully. Could you talk about that a little bit? Why does that method work for you guys? And when I spoke with firefighters Michael Ward and Scott Strazzullo a few weeks ago, they told me they thought some teams argued so much they'd eventually self-destruct. I don't know if they were referring to you?

Whitney Duncan: That actually wasn't us, no. Actually, [Brooke Adams and Robbie E. Strauss] were like crazy bickering, [Tim Tsao and Te Jay McGrath]. But you know what? Everyone has a different dynamic.

Some work well with that and some don't. We began in a really stressful environment, like, we saw the worst of each other from the get-go because we started on Survivor. We had to discuss who to vote out and all these things.

Keith Tollefson: The situation with the Race is that we're both very competitive people and the nice in us kind of blows out of the window in that moment, where I need reassurance constantly from Whitney that I'm either going the right way, we made the right decision.

And so, instead of asking politely, which I could, I'm a little more intense in just saying, "What are we doing?! Where are we going? I need a 'yes' or a 'no.'" And she's also very intense as well. So what comes off as potentially bickering, is more of us really playing the game just very intensely and it's simplified.

Whitney Duncan: Yeah, we're comfortable enough in our relationship. I don't get my feelings hurt in the game and he doesn't either. If I'm, you know, not whining, but like, abrupt with him, and he's the same way, like, snappy -- as I guess you would say -- that is how we do a challenge.

That's how we are the most effective. We're not there to hold hands and kiss and makeout. It's The Amazing Race. We're in a competition. You should see us on game night in my family's house. (Laughs)

Keith Tollefson: We're both the alpha males. (Laughs)

Whitney Duncan: Thanks honey. (Laughs)

Reality TV World: On the topic of Survivor, how would you say your experience on that show differed from that of The Amazing Race?

Whitney Duncan: Well, this one was a lot better because we actually got to see amazing places together and did some really cool things as a team. And so -- and we said this early on -- on Survivor, we met and fell in love there, but technically, we were still playing an individual game.

So, it's just completely different. I mean, I enjoyed playing the Race with Keith and I think we had a blast and got to do a lot of great things we never thought we'd get to do in life.

Keith Tollefson: Yeah, it was a fun situation for us. I mean, we struggled at the start but then we started coming together. It kind of changed, the Race, under our belts. It started to get better.

We finished in fourth, third, and then, you know, unfortunately with our slip-up, when we were last and we get U-Turned, Jim and Misti slipped up before us and had a non-elimination leg -- and they don't even have to use their "Save." (Laughs)

Whitney Duncan: Yeah.

Reality TV World: A lot of Racers I've interviewed in the past talk about how draining it can all be. But was the Race sort of a breeze for you guys considering the physical conditions you endured on Survivor?

Whitney Duncan: Yeah, I think the Race, to me, is a lot more physical because you go nonstop. Survivor is just more mental to me, because, as far as the physical goes, you're not eating and, you know -- but to me, I think Survivor is a little harder mentally.

Keith Tollefson: It's kind of the opposite for me. A little bit more so, the Race was really hard on me mentally just because I'm a planner, I'm a perfectionist, and you can't plan for anything in the Race. Everything is unknown whereas with Survivor, it's extremely tough physically on your body. I mean, I lost 20 pounds, and so, (laughs) that's not good for anybody.

Reality TV World: Speaking of the mental aspect of The Amazing Race, did you guys strategize at all and start thinking about teams you'd like to align with? Were there any teams you would've liked to work with down the road or did you just plan on racing alone?

Keith Tollefson: I was trying to make alliances the entire game. Nobody wanted to, kind of, play together. Everyone was so competitive that they were really playing their individual games. At one point or another, I went to everyone and said, "Hey, if we get to this point, we should work together to make it mutually beneficial and then we'll go our separate ways."

Well, everyone, kind of, was saying the same thing, like, "No, we're going to try to do our own thing. No. we're going to..." -- I mean, just play their own race. So it got to a point where I was just like, "Alright, screw everybody! We're going to run our race like we've been doing and just start doing better than everybody else, hopefully."

Reality TV World: So you were basically just hoping to align with anyone who was willing?

Whitney Duncan: No, I wasn't.

Keith Tollefson: Oh, I was! I mean, at any moment, where anything was going to benefit us, then yes. I mean, there was a situation in Copenhagen where the surfers, [Bethany Hamilton and Adam Dirks], didn't have enough money to pay the toll to get back into the country. We were in Sweden. Brooke and Rob gave them money to get back in the country.

They might not have even finished that leg because they had no money. So, if somehow -- all these kinds of strategies that you think as a gameplayer, why would you let that team...? I understand that they're nice, but if this is a race for a million dollars, they might not be able to win that leg -- or even get back into the country let alone -- if you don't pay their fare. (Laughs)

Whitney Duncan: Yeah, I think a lot of the teams were not really strategic. They were just doing their own thing and just being nice and helping each other. I mean, you saw it with the U-Turn. They were so afraid of making Jim mad, that instead, they just gave him a free pass -- which is so ridiculous. That's not gameplay.

Reality TV World: Do you have any wedding news or plans you can share? And how about that honeymoon you guys kept mentioning on the show?

Whitney Duncan: Oh, we've been married for three months!

Reality TV World: Oh, congratulations!

Keith Tollefson: We just got back from our wonderful honeymoon in the Dominican Republic and we have a new addition to the family. It's a puppy -- a puppy only. (Laughs)

Whitney Duncan: He's nipping at my ankles as we speak!

Reality TV World: Do you two have any intention of going on another reality show in the future or do you think you've kind of had your fill in that department?

Whitney Duncan: I think we keep getting put out by people, so there are no plans in the future. But, you know, if the opportunity presents itself, we're both pretty spontaneous, and if it makes sense, then obviously we're open to it. We love new adventures!

Keith Tollefson: So far, we've both lost two million dollars each, so it's a little tough. (Laughs)

Reality TV World: How were you cast on The Amazing Race? Had you been campaigning to get on the show or how did that come about?

Whitney Duncan: Basically after Survivor, we're both The Amazing Race fans, so with the casting being the same, we definitely tried for it a little bit and got shut down a few times. And finally, we got the chance to do it! So when they called, we postponed the wedding for it. So we really thought it was a great opportunity.

Keith Tollefson: It's a situation that we had been wanting for a long time and we kind of were, like, campaigning. They weren't really knocking on our door, and then when they gave us the chance to audition, we still have to produce. We still have to be an interesting couple.

It's not just something they handed to us. It's still a situation that we fought for. I mean, we had to fight to make them want us on the Race. It wasn't something that was just, "Okay, you guys have been on that show, so we'll put you on this one." That's not how it happened at all.

Whitney Duncan: Yeah, we have a really great story all the way around. So once they saw how much we bicker, they were like, "Done!" (Laughs)

Read more at http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-the-amazing-race-eliminees-keith-tollefson-and-whitney-duncan-talk-%28part-2%29-16990.php#ZMIcJGwYxGLVHStL.99

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 04:24:23 PM »
Keith and Whitney say staying calm would’ve kept them in ‘The Amazing Race’

Being U-turned on “The Amazing Race” ultimately led to Keith and Whitney’s elimination, but the couple from Nashville says there is something they could’ve done to stay in the game.

The team was U-turned by mother and daughter team Shelley and Nici, who were upset over a run-in earlier in the leg. Both Shelley and Nici and Keith were at the front of the line to get their next clue, but when Shelley complained that Whitney wasn’t standing beside Keith, a heated argument ensued. 

“You have to be with your partner, Keith!” Shelley yelled while he shouted, “Don’t push me! Back up! You push me one more time…” Shelley shouted back, telling him not to threaten her.

Looking back, Keith now says he could’ve handled the situation differently.

“I completely overreacted with Shelley on the mat. She started grabbing me and I just let my emotions get the better of myself. I should’ve let her go ahead of me. There was no advantage gained by holding my ground, waiting for the clue, so that altercation just led to them U-turning us,” Keith tells CTV.ca over the phone.

“It was definitely a point in the ‘Race’ where I let my emotions get the better of me and if I would’ve kept calm maybe we’d still be racing.”

Being U-turned meant the couple had to complete both sides of the Detour – twirling a tassel on a hat for one minute while maintaining a beat on a Moroccan instrument and balancing a tray in one hand while pouring tea.

The couple chose the twirling challenge first but Whitney struggled with keeping the tassel going.

“My hat wouldn’t stay on my head, my tassel kept getting stuck in the beads, all of these things, it just wasn’t happening … If I got my head going good enough then all of a sudden it would fall off my head,” says Whitney, a singer/songwriter.

“(I was thinking), ‘You’re musically inclined you should be perfect at this.’ She kept getting frustrated with me. I was trying to be positive and saying we have to finish this because if we don’t Shelley and Nici will U-turn us, guaranteed,” adds Keith.

They eventually switched challenges but after finding out they were indeed U-turned, the couple had to go back to the twirling challenge where they spent more than two hours trying to complete it.

Keith and Whitney say they weren’t surprised Shelley and Nici U-turned them.

“You’re hoping they’d be smarter than that and actually be strategic – you think they would’ve U-turned Misti and Jim,” says Whitney.

But even though they were eliminated, Keith and Whitney don’t regret anything about the “Race,” including postponing their wedding to be on the show. The couple has since gotten married.

“What’s so great about the ‘Race’ is you get to do some things that are incredibly unique to that culture or to that destination that maybe the majority of the world will never have a chance to do,” says Keith.

Source:http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRace/Articles/News/amazing_race_keith_whitney_elimination_inv.aspx