Author Topic: TAR25: Dennis Hour & Isabelle Du "Dating Couple"  (Read 49749 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR25: Dennis Hour & Isabelle Du "Dating Couple"
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:03:35 PM »

#TheDatingCouple

Name: Dennis Hour
Hometown: Tustin, California
Connection to your teammate: Boyfriend
Current occupation: Financial Accounting
Describe what you do: I work for an e-commerce technology company based in Los Angeles and my role is in financial planning and analysis.
3 words to describe you: Electrifying, practical and eager.
Favorite hobbies: Photography, cooking (I like to wing it in the kitchen and create my own flavors) and Isabelle Du.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? For an immigrant Cambodian kid, graduating from college and getting this far in my career is a huge accomplishment.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Short Round from “Indiana Jones.” I love a good adventure.
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Lucy Ricardo from “I Love Lucy.” Isabelle is always up to something.
What scares you most about traveling? Being robbed and stranded.
What excites you most about traveling? Sounds strange, but I like airports and plane rides. And then when I get to my destination, it’s trying the local food.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: The biggest challenge Isabelle and I face is the way we speak to one another. I may think she’s copping attitude or yelling at me while she may think she’s just talking normally and vice versa with me. This is where our communication wave breaks. We have been dealing with this since day one of our relationship and it could cause some serious issues on the Race.
Pet peeve about your teammate: My biggest pet peeve with Isabelle is that she won’t take initiative in helping around the house. I have to constantly ask her to pick up after herself or fold the laundry. And then she’ll complain that I bug her too much.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? I would love to travel to Tokyo because of how busy the city can be. I would love to experience the Japanese cuisines. I just want to get lost in it all.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I want to see the world with Isabelle! After this race hopefully we will know if we are ready to take our relationship to the next level.

Name: Isabelle Du
Hometown: Tustin, California
Connection to your teammate: Girlfriend
Current occupation: Model
Describe what you do: As a model, I’ve lived and worked abroad for four years in Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia and Vietnam. Some of my past work has included FHM, Elle, Cosmopolitan, Tresemme, Wet Seal and Mossimo.
3 words to describe you: Adaptable, spontaneous and indecisive.
Favorite hobbies: Karaoking, ebaying and swimming.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? It was a dream come true to model abroad because I never got a chance to study abroad during college. When the opportunity came, I didn’t think twice about it and jumped right in. I learned so much about myself by being on my own and away from everything I’ve ever known.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? I’ve never actually seen the show but Dennis always says that I remind him of Lucy from “I Love Lucy.”
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Ross Geller from “Friends.”
What scares you most about traveling? For the most part, traveling doesn’t scare me. If I could do one thing for the rest of my life, it would be to travel. However, I can admit that I’m slightly concerned that I won’t know what the country’s laws are and I’ll get thrown into their jail for doing something that’s so normal over here in the states. I should really reconsider watching episodes of “Locked Up Abroad.”
What excites you most about traveling? It’s a guaranteed adventure. I can’t stand being at home because everyone has the same mundane updates about their lives. I want to do things that only a rare handful can do. Once you’re in a new environment, new experiences are to be had, and even the crazy ones make good stories later.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: Dennis likes to plan every little thing while I’m easygoing and carefree and will improvise things on a whim. He’s not as spontaneous but he’s open to the idea of it so long as I can convince him.
Pet peeve about your teammate: He constantly reminds me about how I don’t do anything around the house, but it’s a work in progress and I’m really working on it!
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? The Maldives is my #1 dream destination because every single photo I have seen of this place is heaven. I have to get there before it goes under water completely! And also, I can never say no to Vietnam. It’s where my family is from, it’s where I lived for four years and I have a very deep connection to it.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? My dream is to live all over the world. Not just traveling it, but LIVING all over it. And as unrealistic as that may sound to a lot of people, I know it’s possible. I’ve had a taste of it and I want to live abroad again. I like having as few possessions as possible because I really think that’s what weighs us down in life. Dennis has agreed that he’d be willing to go for it but sometimes I’m not sure if he’s just saying that to appease me. He can be so calculative that I think it really holds him back from doing the “carpe diem” things in life. He doesn’t even think we have that much stuff together while I think we have TOO much stuff. I want him to do “The Amazing Race” with me so he’ll become more free-spirited and won’t have to feel so calculated about living all over the world with me.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR25: Dennis Hour & Isabelle Du "Dating Couple"
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 12:08:14 PM »
VIDEO!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/q15zHusOBPI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/q15zHusOBPI</a>
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:08:38 PM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:24:41 PM »
Love them #TeamCambodianVietnamese

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 11:13:51 PM »
Dennis & Isabelle... :<3

I don't think I've wanted to root for a dating team as much as these two since Marcy & Ron. Their family backgrounds and cute personalities compliment each other very well. Major props to them for NOT color-coordinating their outfits! All the matching and neon colors from the other teams were tantalizing my eyes. I am hoping they create memorable quotes along the way so I can further enjoy their time on the race.

Side note: They remind me so much of Michael & Kathy from TAR3 for some reason.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 04:32:03 AM »
Definitely seem awesome, hope they do well! ;D

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 07:21:30 AM »
#TeamCambodianVietnamese  :luvya:

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 07:33:34 AM »
They are really cute but maybe a little OTT! As they said though they are super positive and always happy so  :funny:

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 09:42:27 AM »
I LOVE THEM

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 01:25:06 AM »
Love the diversity!! Can't wait to see them on the race and hope they can use that positive energy to stay away from the back of the pack!
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 04:52:30 PM »
Wow, one of the best dating teams we've had in a VERY long time!!
One of my unexpected favourites this season :<3 I hope they go far and maybe in Asia visit some of the countries Isabelle has lived in, that would be pretty interesting and I definitely think at least one of those countries should be on this season's route :P

GO #TeamCambonese!! :lol: :hearts:

Offline sapphirepit

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »
Dennis has the perfect personality and smile to be a television host (from what I've seen so far). I love that they got into a little bickering during their interview.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 02:15:28 AM »
They sound like a great, rootable boy/girl next door team.  And they're superfans! nice!

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 03:22:02 AM »
Favorite hobbies: Photography, cooking (I like to wing it in the kitchen and create my own flavors) and Isabelle Du.
I wonder what he means by having his girlfriend as his hobby ???

:lol:

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 04:40:14 AM »
I wonder what he means by having his girlfriend as his hobby ???

:lol:

;)
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 10:38:49 PM »
I love that they were true TAR fans before applying!

Great Blog here! http://www.dennisandisabelle.com/#home
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 11:35:23 PM »
Their dating story is so cute! :hearts:

Offline eragon

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 08:14:12 AM »
I'm definitely in love with this team! Hope they'll go far and show us their scrappy side!  :hearts:

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 02:43:17 PM »
O.C.'s 'Amazing Race' couple talk dating, how the show starts, but not how it ends

Isabelle Du and Dennis Hour focused hard on the goal.

Three times they’d auditioned for “The Amazing Race,” their favorite show since they were students at Chapman University, back when they were just good friends, not yet a romantic couple.

Twice they’d gotten nowhere but earlier this year, as their latest audition video made its way through the casting pipeline, they decided to get ready for the show – just in case.

“Even though we didn’t know we were on the show or not, we acted like, ‘Let’s pretend we’re on the show and start training,’ ” says Du, a 29-year-old model from Tustin.

So they were on the road to visit her dad in Northern California earlier this year, to have him teach them how to quickly change a flat tire – just in case they made the show, just in case that skill ended up useful in the middle of nowhere on “The Amazing Race” – when the phone rang.

It was someone from the show, Du and Hour say, and just that fact was so exciting they didn’t even realize for a moment or two why the show was calling.

“They were like, ‘Uh, did you not hear what we just said? You’re on the show!’” Du says.

“We just kept talking,” Hour says, laughing. “We should have just been quiet.”

The Dating Couple, as they’re nicknamed on “The Amazing Race,” made their show debut on the season premiere on Friday, racing from Times Square in New York City to the first pit stop in the U.S. Virgin Islands where they finished seventh.

For Du and Hour, who aren’t allowed to talk about how they did on the show or share any specifics about where they traveled and what they did there, simply starting the race was the realization of a dream they’d shared for years, one that Du had told friends as far back as Chapman that she’d one day achieve.

It was in college in Orange that they’d met.

“I was trying to recruit him as a member of our (Asian Pacific Student Association) club,” Du says of the first time she and her future boyfriend talked. “It was in our school cafeteria, and he had long hair and braces and this scooter. He was just this goofy guy. I called him Asian Yanni because he looked like Yanni.”

Hour says he was smitten from the start.

“But she always had a boyfriend,” he says. “She did have times when she was single, and I would get excited and think maybe I should make a move, but she’d always get scooped up really quick.”

They stayed in touch throughout school and after and remained good friends. During a four-year period when Du was working as a model and actress in Vietnam and Hour was traveling in Asia, they met up for a day in Vietnam. And then, not quite three years ago, Hour says he saw Du post online that she was moving home, and he knew she was currently unattached, too.

“I saw that post and said, ‘Hey, while you’re in town why don’t you have dinner with me?’” Hour says.

“I thought it was a dinner to catch up, not really a date,” Du says. “I was completely oblivious. I remember we had Japanese food, sushi, and then afterwards he started driving me home, and he just pulled over ...”

“Don’t say I pulled over, it sounds creepy!” Hour interrupts, both of them laughing.

“... and he went in for a kiss,” Du continues. “That’s when I knew what his intentions were. I always thought he was cute. At least it was a definite sign, otherwise we’d have just gone on being friends, and ...”

“I didn’t stay in the friend zone,” Hour says.

Early in their relationship, which now has run about 2 1/2 years, they decided to try out for “The Amazing Race,” realizing that they both loved it and had seen every episode of every season.

They submitted a video audition one year and traveled to Las Vegas for a cattle call audition another. This year, their video audition caught someone’s attention at the show, possibly because they seemed closer than they had in the earlier days of dating.

“What I feel like it was is that Isabelle and I got to know each other more, and we had better synergy,” says Hour, who works in finance.

“Us today and us 2 1/2 years ago, we’re the same people but we’re also different people,” Du says. “We’ve grown so much closer now.”

During their time on “The Amazing Race” they say that closeness helped them even when the competition that sends teams around the world in all manner of difficult situations created stresses.

“It was definitely tough and tough on communication,” Hour says.

“It’s such a unique and stressful environment that you’ll never be in again, and you experience so many ups and downs,” Du says. “You’re disoriented ...”

“Hungry!” Hour says.

“... you’re hungry.”

“... sleepy!” he adds.

“No matter how much you prepared for it, and we prepared a lot, it almost doesn’t matter because in the end you don’t know how it’s going to be,” Du says.

Coming home from “The Amazing Race” both say they feel their outlook on life and how they want to live it has changed.

“The race has actually now put a standard for us, it’s raised the bar for us in terms of achievement,” Du says. “We want to accomplish things at least at that level.”

That applies to life experiences, professional accomplishments or personal challenges, Hour says. They’ve started to blog together – Myboyfriendsclothes.com is their fashion blog – and they’re talking about visiting the Maldives Islands together sooner than later.

“Our drive has definitely increased,” Hour says.

“To have that amazing experience, you don’t want it to end,” Du says. “You want it to keep going. You love that feeling to be in that adventure.

“For us, we’re like, “Oh my gosh, let’s find other things to feed our sense of adventure.”

Source:http://www.ocregister.com/articles/says-636678-hour-amazing.html

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 05:32:59 AM »
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Race-Dennis-Isabelle-1087860.aspx

So much unfulfilled potential! :(

Sad to see them go, wish them the best for their future!

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 12:13:20 PM »
Dennis & Isabelle about things they learn travelling around the world:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/i1I4W9afw9k" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/i1I4W9afw9k</a>
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »
:'( now i wished we get to see more of them... This season's teams = <3

Offline nosyrabbit

• RFF Full Member
  • Talk too much.
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 10:40:15 PM »

IKR! Such a bummer they get eliminated early  :'( :'(
Got along without you before I met you, Gonna get along without you now.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 10:50:11 PM »

IKR! Such a bummer they get eliminated early  :'( :'(

These two are definitely locks if they ever do a "first-eliminated teams" season.

It wasn't shown much, but they were amazing trainwrecks on Leg 1 in the Bonus Clips and they were so fun in Leg 2 as well <3

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 02:26:12 PM »
I hated UB and would dread it if they do another one. :funny: Don't think we'll ever see them again but they had one bad leg and sometimes it will just cost a team the race.