Author Topic: TAR 25 WINNERS: Amy DeJong & Maya Warren "Sweet Scientists"  (Read 96270 times)

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 25: Amy DeJong & Maya Warren "Sweet Scientists"
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »
They finally got an edit.

Amy & Maya and "Cupcake" <3 :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »
Amy wrote:

One year ago today, Maya and I thought it would be funny to wait outside a store
in Chicago in the middle of the night to audition for Amazing Race... little did
we know what we had just gotten ourselves into!!!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 07:46:49 PM »
C&EN Talks With "The Amazing Race" Team Of Amy DeJong And Maya Warren

“It’s a lot harder than it looks,” says Amy DeJong about the reality TV program “The Amazing Race.”
DeJong and fellow University of Wisconsin, Madison, food science graduate student Maya Warren competed in the race earlier this year. The show, now in its 25th season, pits 11 two-member teams against each other as they follow clues and confront a series of challenges that take place across the globe. The winning team gets $1 million.
The show is airing episodes from DeJong and Warren’s race now. As of C&EN press time, the team had weathered the first three sets of challenges, which included finding a treasure chest in the U.S. Virgin Islands, stepping through the drills of British palace guards in England, and herding sheep in Scotland.
A longtime fan of the show, Warren instigated the food science duo’s participation in the race. She got her bachelor’s degree in chemistry from Carleton College, then interned for a cereal company before starting graduate studies. Cereal grain was not her thing, she says, but she found her passion at Wisconsin. “I told myself that I was going to find what it is that I love, and I really love ice cream,” she says. “Now, I dissect ice cream.” Her graduate work with adviser Richard W. Hartel focuses on understanding the microstructure behavior, such as how fat globules coalesce, and sensorial properties of frozen desserts (J. Food Sci. 2014, DOI: 10.1111/1750-3841.12592).

A year ago, Warren discovered that the show was having an open audition in Chicago. She talked DeJong into trying out with her. They had one minute to convince the judges to let them advance.
“It’s so very surreal,” DeJong says. “I still can’t even believe that we did it.” Also a member of Hartel’s group, DeJong got her bachelor’s degree in food science at Wisconsin. “What drew me into food sciences is that there are a lot of different sciences that combine to understand something that people can relate to—everybody can relate to food,” she says. Now she’s working to understand different crystal polymorphs of sorbitol, a sugar alcohol used as a sweetener in products such as toothpaste, chewing gum, and fondants.
The attraction of “The Amazing Race” to both DeJong and Warren was the challenge. “It was a unique way to prove ourselves outside of the lab,” DeJong says.
To prepare for the race, the #SweetScientists—as they’re known on Twitter—worked out twice a day for about six months. Because “The Amazing Race” challenges are so varied, they tried to mix things up and do things that were outside of their comfort zone and learn new skills. Warren taught DeJong how to drive a manual transmission, for example. DeJong also learned to use a compass, which came in handy with the treasure-hunting challenge.

“We also spent quite a bit of time talking to each other to learn about each other outside of lab,” Warren says. “We tried to learn each other’s stress and pressure points.”
Going into the race, DeJong and Warren thought that their science backgrounds would help them figure out clues, analyze how best to do a challenge, and stay cool under pressure. At the same time, they have a tendency to overthink. How did that turn out? Watch the show, they say.
That’s what they’re doing. “It’s been strange to see us on TV and funny to relive the whole experience and see what everybody else was doing while you were focused on yourself,” DeJong says.
“I really enjoy watching it with people and have people getting excited for us,” Warren says. (Their adviser, however, is not among the viewers. Although DeJong and Warren call him incredibly supportive, he’s “not a reality TV fan,” he tells C&EN.)
Returning to the lab after the race was a bit tough, the team admits. “For me it was quite difficult to go back to the regular routine,” Warren says. “You have an adrenaline high for so long, then you get back home and say, ‘Now what do I do?’ ”
“In the race, you have a really intense focus for the hours it takes you to do a challenge,” DeJong adds. “It doesn’t quite work that way in research.”
Now that they are back in the groove, DeJong and Warren are glad they took the leap. Says Warren, “It was the opportunity of a lifetime and a priceless thrill.” 

Source:http://cen.acs.org/articles/92/i42/CEN-TalksAmazing-Race-Team-Amy.html

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 09:39:21 AM »
Still very very VERY under the radar, but I love them. Go Amy/Maya!  :hrt:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »
They are actually very fun to watch so I have no idea why Amy gets no edit most of the time zzz

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 01:34:28 PM »
Amy running is my favourite part of this season <3333333

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 02:19:23 PM »
Def the most inv team, which is sad because they are such goddesses
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2014, 08:58:04 PM »

:hrt:

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 04:22:10 AM »
They seem like such a tragic first boot but they are still here :lol: certainly a class act!

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 04:24:47 AM »
Eternal love to these two.

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 11:42:10 PM »
OMG so adorable, I hope they make final four!

A great thing to see another all-girl team up there besides the tough cyclists.
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 05:09:25 PM »
Cookies & Cream <3

I hope they win at least ONE leg (where it matters <3).

Very positive and happy team, easily one of my favourite "Under the Radar" teams in a LONG time :lol:

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 06:06:53 PM »
 :hearts:
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline APABLD

• RFF Jr. Member
    • adouangchak YouTube
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2014, 06:38:42 AM »
 :hearts: So lovely and positive. Love them!

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2014, 04:24:58 AM »
#RandomLovePost <3

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 03:38:03 PM »
Rooting for Candy Girls purely because of Maya's attitude towards the race and because of Amy's will power!

:cmas9

NoluckBoston

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »
I loved these Ladies. They might be my favorite team ever!

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 09:46:19 PM »
Sooooo x1000000000 glad they won!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2014, 03:07:22 AM »
3/26 seasons because obviously TAR 26 is a dating couple season. :cmas31: :cmas11

Offline TARloveit

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The true winners of TAR26. Horribly robbed :(
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2014, 06:03:14 AM »
Amy & Maya's victory lap:

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2014, 06:36:04 AM »
Loved seeing them win (but I anyone from top 7 onwards would have been awesome winners)

3/26 seasons because obviously TAR 26 is a dating couple season. :cmas31: :cmas11
I don't know a whole lot of spoilers but who knows, there might be a lesbian couple

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2014, 09:22:09 AM »
I really would assume they won't cast a lesbian couple but 11 co ed dating couples. :cmas11

I don't know the contestants on TAR 26 tbh so no spoilers were involved don't worry.

Offline Leilani

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2014, 03:02:58 PM »
I was so happy to see them win last night.  They're one of my favorite teams of all time.   :cmas9

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2014, 05:40:49 AM »
Maya: We argued the whole time we were punting, for, like, three hours. They don’t show us arguing, but we were arguing the whole time, so I think as a team, that was definitely the hardest leg. But I’m glad it happened early because we were able to bounce back from it and talk about it and run the race even better than we previously had.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/22/winners-amazing-race-scientists-amy-maya/

Edit played a huge part in determining the likeability of the winner again~

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2014, 06:53:29 AM »

'The Amazing Race' Q&A: How the Scientists became 'TAR' top dogs

By Jodi Walker on Dec 22, 2014 at 7:45PM

When EW caught up with the 25th winners of The Amazing Race, they were hoarse from celebrating all weekend with their “race family,” but still flying high from the $1 million win. Amy and Maya—Candy Scientists, by trade—beat out three much more physically imposing teams, two-thirds of whom were professional athletes (one-third of whom were potentially teeth-cleaning super humans), to become only the third all-female first-place finishers in TAR history.

Amy and Maya ran an impressively academic Race, but more importantly to them, they played the game well while “staying true to themselves.” That often becomes a meaningless phrase, but The Amazing Race is a game where it’s easy to turn up sides of yourself you’d prefer stay buried under hypothetical behavioral questions of “How would I act in a zombie apocalypse?” and “What if I lived in Game of Thrones’ world?”

Say, if you had been traveling through 20 cities all over the globe with little sleep and more sweat than you knew your body could contain, all while harboring two stress fractures in your pelvis, and then you were asked to deliver a couple of 20-pound bunches of coconuts within a maze of Moroccan vendors while the other people doing the same thing could literally bench press you…y’know, then it might become a challenge to stay true to the version of yourself that doesn’t yell at your partner and start throwing coconuts at innocent Moroccan bystanders. And for Amy and Maya, it was tough, but overcoming that challenge, and running the race with smiles on their faces and a little hobble in their gait is exactly what won them the race. EW caught up with the Candy Girls to discuss their underdog status and how they hope they inspired viewers.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Your approach to The Amazing Race—the approach that helped you win—was very academic, very studied. Have you always been fans of the show?

Maya: I’ve been a fan of the show for years; I’ve always wanted to go on it. There’s a clip that just came out in this past episode where I’m saying I wanted to go on it with my future husband. But since that husband is nowhere to be found, I knew that I needed to change that a little bit.

You were always the first to refer to yourselves as “underdogs,” but you must have had some you could win…how did you rank your chances going in?

Amy: Physically, we were underdogs; toward the end, it was us against a lot of professional athletes. But throughout the whole race we believed that if we ran our race and really focused and worked hard that we could do it.

Maya: And from the get go, I had an innate feeling that we were going to win. I never thought that we were going to lose. I just knew it.

Well, you were certainly the most positive team! You played such a strong game as partners—we never even saw a cross word between the two of you! How did you work on your communication with one another?

Amy: I think a lot of it is just that we’re supportive and have a lot of faith in each other as teammates. We watched a lot of episodes going in and we saw people arguing, but there’s no reason to argue. You only have a certain amount of energy in the day, why waste it on arguing? We’re a team, and I think we didn’t want to let each other down. We knew that the other was going to do their best, and that’s really all you can expect out of anybody.

Maya: And we knew that we had somewhat more of an advantage just being friends and lab-mates than the people who are married or dating because there’s an emotional tie that they have that we don’t. We did definitely have in our moments, but we made sure to never let the other teams see that, because that could be seen as a weakness… which it definitely was for Brooke and Rob.

Nowhere was your support for each other and perseverance more evident than in watching Amy run the entire race with an injured leg. It wasn’t even revealed to the audience until a few weeks in!

Amy: I actually didn’t find out until I got home—I got an MRI pretty much immediately when I got back and found out that I had two stress fractures in my lower pelvis. So, yeah, it was a pretty bad injury [laughs] but at the same time, you just have to focus and work hard.

With as much as you had to push to keep up physically, what do you recall as the toughest leg for the Scientists team?

Amy: I think it was probably the second Morocco leg. Both Morocco legs were tough for us; it was very hot and we got very lost. We still had fun though, so there’s no single leg I can look back on and say we didn’t enjoy it.

Maya: I actually think the toughest leg for us a team was London/Oxford.

Amy: Oh, yeah…

Maya: We argued the whole time we were punting, for, like, three hours. They don’t show us arguing, but we were arguing the whole time, so I think as a team, that was definitely the hardest leg. But I’m glad it happened early because we were able to bounce back from it and talk about it and run the race even better than we previously had.

I know you were really excited to be the third ever all-female team to win the Race and made some great comments after your win about inspiring people to do more than just what they think they can do. What did it mean to you to be an all-female team winning The Amazing Race?

Maya: For us, being and all female team—especially a young, academically driven all female team, and me being a person of color, as well—it’s hopefully inspiring to people along the way, especially young girls that you can sort of think outside of the box and be more than you think you can be. Because Amy and I are just like everyone else. There’s nothing—okay, I guess we’re pretty special people [laughs], but everyone is special in their own way. It’s just knowing how to use what you’ve been given to your advantage and I think we did that and hope we inspired other people to do that as well.

Amy: For me, the race was never something that I had considered doing. It was never something that I thought that I could do, and here we are—we just won The Amazing Race! You really can do what you put your mind on to do.

Maya: Beyond what you can put your mind on, you can do.

Amy: Anything is possible.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/22/winners-amazing-race-scientists-amy-maya/

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.