Author Topic: TAR 25 WINNERS: Amy DeJong & Maya Warren "Sweet Scientists"  (Read 96279 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 25 WINNERS: Amy DeJong & Maya Warren "Sweet Scientists"
« on: August 28, 2014, 11:03:59 AM »

#SweetScientists

Name: Maya Warren
Hometown: Madison, Wisc.
Connection to your teammate: Lab Mate and friend
Current occupation: Ph.D. Student (Food Science) at The University of Wisconsin, Madison.
Describe what you do: I research the microstructure, behavioral and sensorial properties of ice cream and other frozen-aerated treats.
3 words to describe you: Highly motivated, spiritual and energetic.
Favorite hobbies: Traveling, exploring new cultures, meeting new people, anything involving ice cream and working out/running!
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Discovering my passion in life (anything involving ice cream) and being able to do what I love and love what I do every day. It’s a beautiful thing.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Kerry Washington (Olivia Pope) gets down to business and commands a room with ease. Great sense of style, knows how to have fun, intuitive, graceful and self-confident.
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Mayim Bialik, both on and off of “The Big Bang Theory.” Number one, Mayim (yes, we are on a first name basis) and Amy resemble each other and have many similar mannerisms and personality traits. Both are smart, goofy, curious, intelligent, driven and knowledgeable of random things.
What scares you most about traveling? Having to get one too many shots. I believe pain is weakness leaving the body but shots just don’t do it for me!
What excites you most about traveling? Being introduced to new cultures, people, experiences and opportunities beyond what I can imagine. I also enjoy learning, growing, building memories and trying new ice creams/frozen desserts!
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: The biggest challenge we will face on the Race will most likely be over-thinking situations and challenges. As scientists we have learned to be very analytical.
Pet peeve about your teammate: Amy talks a lot. So do I, but sometimes she talks at times when we need to focus on the task at hand and/or about something totally unrelated, getting us off task.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Pretty much any place I have not been! I love to travel and will visit anyplace if given the opportunity to do so!
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I hope to grow our bond outside of the lab. I also hope to show the world that scientists are more than just lab coats, beakers and goggles. Lastly, I hope to inspire others to pursue something they have always wanted to do… that is what the Race is for me!

Name: Amy DeJong

Hometown: Madison, Wisc.
Connection to your teammate: Lab Mate and friend
Current occupation: Ph.D. Student (Food Science) at The University of Wisconsin, Madison.
Describe what you do: I am a Ph.D. student in food science studying polyol (sugar-free sweetener) crystallization in confectionery products.
3 words to describe you: Logical, sarcastic and curious.
Favorite hobbies: Exploring new restaurants, food science, running and volleyball.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? I had an “experiment gone wrong” incident during one of my internships that surprisingly turned into something really interesting that the company wanted to pursue further. It was one of those moments that made me realize why I love science.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Leonard from “The Big Bang Theory” (obviously a female version and into food science, not physics).
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Kerry Washington.
What scares you most about traveling? Getting lost. I don't always have the best sense of direction (don't tell Maya!).
What excites you most about traveling? Seeing the rest of the world. I really have not done much international travel and cannot wait to see what else is out there and try all of the delicious foods!
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: We will have to rely on each other in ways that we haven't before. Our most important responsibilities (research) are independent from each other; this will not be the case on the Race!
Pet peeve about your teammate: She can be SO picky. She yells at me when I drink coffee or open the refrigerator in our office. She says that the smells bother her which is ridiculous. It's like living with a crazy person.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? The Galapagos Islands. There are so many unique landforms, animals and plants. Plus, it is a tropical place with gorgeous beaches and a rich scientific history.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I want to prove to myself and the world that scientists are more than beakers and lab coats. I also hope to grow our relationship outside of lab, most of what we do centers around food science and our research.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:12:09 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 25: Amy DeJong & Maya Warren "Sweet Scientists"
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:04:25 AM »
VIDEO!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RcGQbZknut4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RcGQbZknut4</a>
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:10:18 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:04:44 AM »
saved
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:25:30 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »
Anyone else notice that CBS has the names reversed?   ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 11:25:13 AM »
ICE CREAM!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/z3n8vaQVDA0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/z3n8vaQVDA0</a>

Credit for this find to Meadowssxcz at Sucks
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 12:12:02 PM »
Love these girls x10000! So much positiveness and great attitudes  :hrt:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »
MY NEW GODDESSES <333333333333333333333

Online Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 04:03:37 PM »
SCIENCEGODDESSES

And they're fans of the Big Bang Theory  :luvya:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »
What I love about these two is that they don't seem like the strongest team, they seem like the team that might trainwreck their way and make it very far :lol:

Go Amy & Maya <3

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »
Amy & Maya... :luvya:

They have great personalities that fit together like the two remaining pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. I adore how both parties are bringing sharp competitiveness back to The Amazing Race after a blunt and demoting "all-stars" cast last season. I believe they will become the team to look out for with classic quotes, task humor, and navigation adventures.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:32 PM »
I love teams that are using their brains more than their muscles! <333

Go Amaya!!! <3333333333 :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 09:27:46 AM »
two promblem are smart enought to race around use brain does always work

Offline Tar25fan

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »
Such a unique team. Pre-faves for sure
They may not be as fit as the other teams, but certainly smarter, which counts much more, but not all the that

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 01:21:44 AM »
One of my top pre-race teams!! Hope they can make the top six and outlast some muscle.
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 06:51:44 PM »
Goddesses <3

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 06:26:23 AM »
Amaya are so sweet to be in the race. <333333333333   :luvya:  :luvya:  :luvya:

They are like the blend of Nat & Kat competitiveness due to their occupation as PhD scientist and Brook & Claire sense of humour and fun.  :<3

Go Go Go Amaya, make it to the final 3 and become another all female team to win the race!!!  :hearts:  :hearts:  :hearts:
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 07:46:49 PM »
Badger duo experiences an amazing summer on ‘The Amazing Race’

Amy DeJong and Maya Warren had a truly epic summer, but they can't tell you about it.

The UW-Madison food science grad students spent the month of June zipping around the globe as part of the cast of the 25th edition of "The Amazing Race," the Emmy Award-winning CBS television reality show. Along the way, they competed against 10 other two-person teams in various mental and physical challenges, with the goal of beating their rivals to the final destination — and claiming the $1 million prize.

Suspense is a critical element of the show, so DeJong and Warren — like all of their fellow cast members — have to be very tight-lipped, at least for now. But one thing they can say: Their scientific training proved to be an asset.

"A big part of being a scientist is being comfortable in situations with a lot of details and a lot of unknowns, where you have to persevere. If an experiment fails, you have to keep trying," says DeJong, who studies candy crystallization in the lab of food science Professor Rich Hartel. "Those things directly apply to the race. You have to keep going. You can't give up."

It was Warren's idea to try out for the race. She's an avid fan of the show, and when she learned there would be auditions in Chicago last October, she brought it up in conversation in Hartel's lab, where she studies the physical properties of ice cream. DeJong, who grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, was game.

"It sounded like such a unique, fun-sounding opportunity, so I said, 'Why not?'" says DeJong.

Right from the start, Warren felt they had a good shot of making it onto the show.

"We weren't the typical cookie-cutter couple," says Warren, a native of St. Louis. "We would bring something very different to the table."

Her hunch was right. They were selected, but had to keep the fact largely a secret, only sharing information on a need-to-know basis. When they both took off in late May, most people thought they were heading off for normal, separate summer vacations.

Word got out on May 31, when the 2014 race launched and CBS revealed the identities of the cast members.

Fast-forward four weeks. When DeJong and Warren returned to campus, re-entry was a little tough, particularly for Warren.

"I missed the thrill. I didn't necessarily want to get back into the hustle and bustle of research," she says. "But now it's cool, and it was fun to see everybody's excitement and to feel all of the support. People would stop us in the hallway to say congratulations, and ask a bunch of questions that we couldn't answer."

Fortunately, it's almost time to watch their adventure unfold. The season premier of "The Amazing Race" airs on Friday, Sept. 26 at 7 p.m. central time, with the finale in early December. DeJong and Warren's team is named — and can be followed on Twitter using the hashtag — #SweetScientists.

DeJong plans to watch the premier with friends and family in Madison. Warren is hosting a "red carpet event" for around 60 family members at her parents' home in St. Louis.

The following week, the food science department plans to throw a celebratory pizza party, where faculty, staff and students can (re)watch the premier alongside the new celebrities.

"It was an experience of a lifetime, and I hope it helps inspire other people to do the things they've always wanted to do," says Warren. "The sky isn't even the limit."

Source:http://www.news.wisc.edu/23138

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 11:06:52 PM »
# invisible
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2014, 05:34:07 PM »
They're kind of doing just average so far, I hope that they get their moment to shine and get some momentum going instead of just having them bumbling throughout the race.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 02:20:00 AM »
Please give them MORE SCREENTIME!  :hrt: <3

The few times we actually SEE them, they have loads of great potential, hopefully they emerge more into the later legs of the Race like Nicky & Kim! :hoot:

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/television/gail-pennington/is-amazing-race-still-sweet-for-st-louisan/article_2813b477-61e9-50dc-923e-f118ca510900.html

They gave Bethany shoes apparently after she lost them in Leg 1, #SweetScientists indeed <3
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 02:24:48 AM by gamerfan09 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2014, 02:41:55 AM »
The sweet science of 'The Amazing Race'

October 03, 2014 5:00 am  •  By Gail Pennington / TV critic / gpennington@post-dispatch.com

Maya Warren wants the world to know something about scientists: “We’re not just nerds.”

Warren, 29, intends to prove that on “The Amazing Race.” The Rosati-Kain High School graduate, who is completing her doctorate in food science at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, races around the world with friend and lab mate Amy DeJong in the 25th season of the Emmy-winning reality competition, now underway on CBS.

Warren and DeJong compete as “the Sweet Scientists” because of their specialties. Warren studies ice cream (“the microstructure, behavioral and sensorial properties of frozen-aerated treats”); DeJong, candy.

And yes, Warren’s early interest in frozen desserts was sparked in part by visits to Ted Drewes. Her on-screen tag reads Madison, Wis., but Warren is a St. Louisan through and through, explaining that she grew up in the Ferguson-Florissant area and attended grade school at the Cathedral Basilica.

“I always loved food, and I loved science, and I was so excited when I found out I could combine them as a career,” she says. “And ice cream — who doesn’t love ice cream?”

Warren had been a fan of “The Amazing Race” for years and had always thought she would try out some day. “I imagined I’d race with my future husband, but I’m not married yet, so that was a problem.”

When she learned about an open casting call in Chicago last fall, she brainstormed with DeJong, 24, with whom she shares a lab.

“I was going to be in Chicago then anyway, to run the Chicago
Marathon” (see? not just a nerd) “and I talked her into going along. We had nothing to lose, so why not?”

The two wrote a skit and got a tryout in which “we blabbed and blabbed.” They went away thinking, “cool, that was fun.”

Casting producers moved them along. “I think they liked our careers,” Warren says. “They’ve never had a team of women Ph.D. candidates before, and the fact that our specialties are ice cream and candy made us unique. We just had to make sure our personalities matched.”

In last Friday’s season premiere, viewers briefly got to know Warren as a little dynamo, always bouncing with enthusiasm, and DeJong as lankier, with a slightly goofy demeanor. They seemed to work well together, although by finishing in the middle of the pack on a difficult challenge in which three other teams gave up, they didn’t get much screen time.

As the race goes on, though, audiences may see that this duo showed up well prepared.

“We’re scientists, so we analyzed the show,” Warren says. They watched many previous seasons to see “how to get the most done the easiest way. We studied the challenges and tried to figure out what we’d do in similar situations.”

They worked out every morning in the lab, pushing themselves through the Shaun T “Insanity” routine. “I’ve always been athletic; I’ve run marathons and competed in triathlons,” Warren says. “Amy isn’t super athletic, but we knew we both needed to be stronger both mentally and physically.”

Warren taught DeJong how to drive a car with standard transmission, a skill that has tripped up competitors in the past. They brushed up on navigation and maps.

“But our approach was to have fun, to smile and laugh our way around the world. We wanted to show what scientists look like and what scientists can do. We hope along the way we can inspire young girls to branch out and think about science.”

Warren also took the opportunity to try new ice cream whenever she could, which wasn’t that often. “We were running, and we didn’t want to spend the money. But I did ask for a free sample whenever I could.”

Last weekend, Warren was home in St. Louis, watching the season premiere with close to 80 family members and friends. “I’m so excited to see it with them and let them see us,” she said before the episode aired. “It’s been over since June, and, of course, we haven’t been able to talk about it.”

“The Amazing Race,” she says, “was so much more than I expected it to be. It’s so much harder, so exhausting, but also so much fun. I loved it. I still miss it a lot.”

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/television/gail-pennington/the-sweet-science-of-the-amazing-race/article_526034c4-122b-5806-ab17-c282b3e6ad58.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 03:39:36 AM »
They are definitely one of my favourites this season. Cool and calm, completing challenges in average positions but at least they are not struggling, but randomly doing really well at times as well.

Most importantly, I think giving the pair of shoes to Adam and Bethany will help them in a long run and forge a positive relationship between the two teams actually!

Online Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 06:31:58 AM »
Holy crap! Maya runs marathons!  :luvya:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax