Author Topic: TAR 25: Adam Dirks and Bethany Hamilton "Soul Surfers"  (Read 29578 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 25: Adam Dirks and Bethany Hamilton "Soul Surfers"
« on: August 28, 2014, 10:35:02 AM »

#SoulSurfers

Name: Bethany Hamilton
Hometown: Princeville, Hawaii
Connection to your teammate: Wife
Current occupation: Pro Surfer and Motivational Speaker
Describe what you do: I travel the world surfing unique locations and compete against the best women in the world. I love surfing. I also speak to different groups in the U.S. and internationally, motivating them to live a life of overcoming!
3 words to describe you: Determined, positive and adventurous.
Favorite hobbies: Surfing, tennis, working out, creating healthy meals and hanging with my hubby and dogs.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Surfing with one arm!
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Anna Sophia Robb. She played me in the movie Soul Surfer chronicling my story.
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Matthew McConaughey
What scares you most about traveling? Being away from the ocean and long sits on planes.
What excites you most about traveling? I love seeing the unique beauties of other countries, experiencing different cultures and doing it with Adam.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: I’m a girl and I’m more emotional. Plus, I have one arm.
Pet peeve about your teammate: When he doesn’t share.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? I’ve always wanted to go to Madagascar because it seems remote and adventurous. Peru, to surf and Machu Picchu. Also, Israel because it’s a bible land.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I hope Adam and I have a fun time adventuring in different countries and doing challenges. I hope we can have great teamwork and communication. I just want to have a blast!

Name: Adam Dirks
Hometown: Princeville, Hawaii
Connection to your teammate: Husband
Current occupation: Professional husband. Full-time support.
Describe what you do: Switching my life from full-time youth ministry and substitute teacher to married life has been an amazing experience. I love being with my wife as she travels so often and being her rock, support and encourager for life.
3 words to describe you: Hard-working, easy-going and patient.
Favorite hobbies: Surfing, adventure (hiking, exploring, etc.) and spear fishing.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Having awesome friends.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Tom Cruise.
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Amelia Earhart.
What scares you most about traveling? Not being able to communicate well with people in foreign countries and getting lost!
What excites you most about traveling? Experiencing new cultures and sharing those adventures with my best friend/wifey.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together:
We sometimes have a hard time communicating when we are frustrated with one another. I want us to be more open and talk about these frustrations before they build up into something bigger.
Pet peeve about your teammate: Sometimes she eats with her mouth open.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? New Zealand or Iceland. They are both beautiful and have tons of outdoor adventures like surfing, hiking and extreme sports.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I hope the experience will test our relationship, draw us closer and strengthen our marriage.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 25: Adam Dirks and Bethany Hamilton "Soul Surfers"
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »
VIDEO!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/r8JN9jGJ8Hk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/r8JN9jGJ8Hk</a>
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:11:18 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:10:38 PM »
Adam & Bethany... :<3

I've read about Bethany's story countless times in sports magazine articles at the doctor's office. She obviously is a wonderful woman with a giant heart and I'll say the same thing for Adam. I've said this in my head a couple times and I'll type it down: I give mad (great) respect to Bethany for dealing with the trauma of a near-death experience, loving her life even as an arm amputee, and continuing the pursue her life as a surfer after surgery. She is a courageous and brave woman who should never ever ever be underestimated.

Adam is a very lucky man indeed. I hope they had a wonderful time on the race.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 04:33:51 AM »
Bethany <3

Having watched Soul Surfer, her story is really inspiring and I am definitely rooting for them.

What I AM worried about is CBS editing them like Dave/Connor. :res:

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 06:31:26 AM »
Bethany <3

Having watched Soul Surfer, her story is really inspiring and I am definitely rooting for them.

Oh crap, now that you mentioned it, I am also worried. However, they don't seem to have the same obnoxious personalities Dave (& Connor) had.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 01:20:26 AM »
Definitely don't have any cockiness to them, mellow surfers with a cool backstory!

Not to mention there's some really kickass ladies in this TAR season!! They're going to be great role model teams.
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 01:59:51 AM »
I like their attitude but I'm just hoping that CBS has learned from their mistake with Dave & Connor and don't shove them down our faces.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 12:33:57 PM »
Bethany <3

Oh crap, now that you mentioned it, I am also worried. However, they don't seem to have the same obnoxious personalities Dave (& Connor) had.
OMG, please don't, CBS, please don't do it to us. :'(

People are naturally going to root for them (and so will I), but I just hope they have a great time out there!

P.S. obviously the Roadblocks are going to be a concern. I hope they don't have to write "Adam must perform this roadblock" all the time, that would be kinda unfair from other teams' point of view :iok

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 06:52:55 AM »
The TAR25 first promo is already focusing primarily on them :res:

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 07:07:01 PM »
Let's hope this doesn't continue with the real race. ugh

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 04:51:14 PM »
Let's hope this doesn't continue with the real race. ugh
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 10:34:07 PM »
They are a seriously competitive team if leg 2 is any guide. They ran a perfect leg.
-- theschnauzers

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 11:05:25 PM »
#inspirational
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 10:48:09 PM »
This is Bethany's Kickstarter fundraising film for her new Film "Surfs Like A Girl"

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GPrCRJ3Mu2M" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GPrCRJ3Mu2M</a>

You can read more and join in the "KickStart" Here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bethanyhamilton/bethany-hamilton-surfs-like-a-girl?ref=popular
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 11:24:05 PM »
The way Adam looks at Bethany all the time, there's no way this guy is not in love with her. His eyes sparkles everytime he talks about her or looks at her. <3

Offline sapphirepit

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 02:48:48 PM »
I haven't heard anyone talk about it, but I just feel a huge disconnect with this team. Almost like they aren't present or aren't real, almost like they are constantly blissed out. I don't know if it's the surfer culture or what, but I had this exact same feeling with Andie and Jenna on S17 (mother/daughter who had never met). Almost like their pupils are really small all the time and when you look at their eyes it is super robotic, like there is nothing there. Not in a "they're dumb" kind of way, because they aren't, just really distant and creepy. Has anyone else noticed this?

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 03:04:47 PM »
I haven't heard anyone talk about it, but I just feel a huge disconnect with this team. Almost like they aren't present or aren't real, almost like they are constantly blissed out. I don't know if it's the surfer culture or what, but I had this exact same feeling with Andie and Jenna on S17 (mother/daughter who had never met). Almost like their pupils are really small all the time and when you look at their eyes it is super robotic, like there is nothing there. Not in a "they're dumb" kind of way, because they aren't, just really distant and creepy. Has anyone else noticed this?

I sort of agree, and for some reason I just don't care for them at all.  I respect Bethany and her story with everything she's been through, but I just don't have any enthusiasm towards them.  I'd actually rather they be eliminated than anything else.  Maybe it's just bad editing though?  :groan:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 09:49:04 PM »
I like them! Bethany is a very inspiring person and at least their story isn't shoved down out throats, it just flows along naturally.

What I would love to see though is a little more personality edited out of them. I've seen a lot of their TV show interviews prior to TAR and they're hilarious in those.

Offline saacman

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 03:10:59 AM »
Almost like they aren't present or aren't real, almost like they are constantly blissed out.

I think that kind of sums them up actually.  Having met Bethany at a conference here in Hawaii, I'd say it's completely real and she's perpetually as positive and bubbly as the show portrays her as.  She's also a physically imposing presence.  I'm 6'4" and athletic, but she has got to be around 6' and is buff.  Haven't met Adam, but the looks those two give each other do make you want to sort of gag.  :funny:

Anyway, rooting for this team for the win, but I have to say I was initially disappointed to hear they were on the show.  I applied thinking they were due for a Hawaii team, but I can see why I didn't get a call!

Offline MyBuds

• RFF Newbie
    • MyBuds on Etsy
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 06:19:38 PM »
So far, no real struggles for these two!  I am not only impressed, but one can really learn some good life lessons from Bethany AND Adam.  Bethany for obvious reasons, and Adam for loving her and truly being her partner.  She doesn't act like a victim, she just gets in there and gets the job done.  I wish I could say the same for my own life, two arms and all.

Count me in as a member of Team SoulSurfers
MyBuds
"Clothes for your Naked 'buds"
@mybuds.buzz - instagram

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 08:25:29 AM »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 12:14:07 PM »
My feeling about Adam and Bethany is this -- they remind me more of TAR 6's Kris and Jon than any other team since Kris and Jon.
They've run a very intelligent and thought out Race (i.e., having Bethany do any tasks she feels she can handle, and she does those in ways we probably couldn't have expected) and the relationship between these two have so much of that vibe Kris and Jon had in their season, it is amazing to watch.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:41:40 AM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 09:05:26 PM »
I second that! I've yet to see such a kind and gentle team since Kris and Jon who have made it far into the race to make an impact!

And Bethany's resilience plus Adam's eyes and admiration whenever he speaks about her... I think that is what love means.

Offline inomu

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 05:10:17 PM »
These 2 are way too calm! I feel like they're being high on something else than life all the time  :inocent: