Author Topic: 'Amazon' Has First Deaf Survivor  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
'Amazon' Has First Deaf Survivor
« on: January 14, 2003, 05:21:01 AM »
From Zap2it: http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?29658

by Brill Bundy
Zap2it, TV News

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - It remains to be seen whether or not the girls of "Survivor: The Amazon" will be able to channel the spirits of the warrior women who tread the ground before them, but one contestant had more obstacles than merely mastering female bonding.

Christy Smith, the 24-year-old children's adventure guide for the Aspen Camp School for the Deaf, is hearing impaired herself. Only capable of hearing the most minimal of sounds, she gets by primarily through lip-reading, leaving her at a definite disadvantage late at night around the campfire.

"Survivor" host Jeff Probst says that during the show's last interview with Smith they asked her if she thought it was fair for them to cast her. After giving it some thought, she replied, "No, but life's not fair." A statement Probst says sums up her entire approach to the experience.

The other 15 castaways weren't briefed as to Smith's condition, so that she could decide when, or even if, she wanted to share it. Probst says in the end the decision to include her came down to the basic premise of the game -- how are 16 random people going to get along with one another.

"Yeah, it will be tough for her, but I think it will be a good experience for her, and, hopefully, for the other people to see what it's like to have to go the extra mile when you're really competing against somebody. How much of a hand will you give them?"

"Survivor: The Amazon" premieres Thursday, Feb. 13 at 8 p.m. ET on CBS with a special 90-minute episode.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1045980000 »

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
Re: 'Amazon' Has First Deaf Survivor
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2003, 06:15:49 AM »
I think if her team mates feel comfortable with this girl she will go far.  She will probably be better at observing and taking in the surroundings.  Her bio says she can read lips, so this may help her know what people are saying.  OR even the other team in a challenge.

I hope she does well.

Theresa

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 09:49:41 AM »
I hope she does well also.  She is one of my faves so far going into the show.  My room mate is hearing impared, so I know what a challenge it can be.  She can read lips though, so if they are talking about her from across the camp she will know what they are saying as long as she can see their faces, LOL.  Might give her one advantage, mostly if she decides not to tell them that she can not hear only read lips, LOL.  

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 05:54:53 AM »
I saw an article, will have to look for it, that says she tells them right off that she is deaf.  I think if she holds her own, the woman will keep her around.  

Also rumors that she goes far in the game.

Offline Browneyes141

• RFF Newbie
  • I love Reality TV!
Re:'Amazon' Has First Deaf Survivor
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 08:33:22 PM »
i like smith i think she,s  good for the team i would love if she could be the soul survivor but i know that,s not going to happen because she is deaf i think she,s the best &the strongs on the team  >:( >:(

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
Re:'Amazon' Has First Deaf Survivor
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 08:38:18 PM »
I agree. I really like her personality. She has the will to survive, but her attitiude might catch up with her from last week. Unless Shawna takes the spotlight off her next week about "I can't last another 30 days". Who knows?
Rob