Author Topic: TAR CANADA 2 Contestants - Mickey Henry and Pete Schmalz (Best Friends)  (Read 15359 times)

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
Mickey Henry and Pete Schmalz (Best Friends)

Mickey Henry

Twitter: @whatwakepark

Current City: Seguin, Ont.
Hometown: Parry Sound, Ont.
Strengths: Intellectual, easy-going, active
Fears/Phobias: Blood
Favourite Travel Destination: “Muskoka (home) – or anywhere off the beaten path.”
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “He steals my jokes, and then butchers them.”

Pete Schmalz

Twitter: @whatwakepark

Current City: Parry Sound, Ont.
Hometown: Parry Sound, Ont.
Strengths: Handsome, funny, modest
Fears/Phobias: Work
Favourite Travel Destination: Guatemala
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “He sings songs he doesn’t know the words to over and over again…like, learn the words or don’t sing the song. Jeez!”

TEAM BIO

These best friends are most at home in their scenic locale of Muskoka, Ont., located a little more than 200 kilometres north of Toronto. “It’s kind of hard to pin point [the exact location] because we live, like, in the middle of the woods,” says Mickey. He and his best bud Pete have been best friends for so long they can’t even remember how they first met. Their lifelong friendship and “calm under pressure” attitudes make them top competitors this season, according to them.

Mickey and Pete believe life is an adventure that always works out. They live life by having fun and being carefree, “Kill ‘em with kindness,” said Pete. The friends share a love for extreme sports and have sustained many injuries while pursuing wakeboarding and other adventurous activities. One of their proudest accomplishments is the design and build of What Wake Park in Muskoka, a water-sport park run on a cable system that Mickey created and operates in the summer.

The guys want to compete on 'The Amazing Race Canada' before entering a challenging work force in hopes that their winnings will bring them security in paying off massive school debts. They expect that people will judge them on their appearance and are fine with that, so long as no one knows that these small town boys have strength, speed, and outdoor skills that may outmatch their competition.

Motto: “Long hair, don’t care.”

Team they most associate with from Season 1: Mickey: “Jet and Dave – same kind of bromance.” Pete: “Vanessa and Celina – it’s not easy being beautiful.”
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Don't let their shaggy hair fool you: Mickey and Pete say they will be serious contenders on 'The Amazing Race Canada'

Don’t let their long, shaggy locks and chilled-out attitudes fool you. Best friends Mickey Henry and Pete Schmalz say they’re going to be serious contenders on “The Amazing Race Canada.”

“I think teams might underestimate us because of our long hair. Maybe they’ll think we’re bozos or whatever but secretly, we’re like amazing,” says Mickey, 24.

But it doesn’t mean they aren’t going to have a little fun along the way.

“I think a lot of other teams are super serious (wearing) spandex and stuff but we’re a little bit more carefree,” says Mickey.

“We don’t get upset over anything. I think other teams are going to break down. We might, too, but we’re pretty chill,” adds Pete, 24.

The two friends have known each other since they’ve been two years old, growing up as neighbours in Parry Sound, Ont.

“We grew up best friends forever so we’re like pretty much the same person,” says Pete.

Between travelling the world together and wakeboarding (Mickey owns an environmentally-friendly wakeboard park in Muskoka), what other kind of fun adventures have these two had over the years?

“A lot of nudity comes to mind,” says Mickey with a laugh. “Fun adventures, sometimes in the buff. In the summer we hang out every single day.”

The two friends are confident they’ll get along just as well on the “Race.”

“I don’t know if one of us is going to emerge as the leader. I don’t really think it’s going to be that way. We’ve been together this long and been through so many experiences and it’s always kind of been like a mutual thing, there’s not really any dominance in the relationship,” says Pete.

But the two friends have been separated as of late with Pete finishing up his fourth year of university in tourism and hotel management in Kamloops, B.C., and Mickey, who has a degree in commerce-accounting, working in Alberta on the oil rigs.

“It’s been tough trying to prepare for the ‘Race,’ when we’re so far apart,” says Pete. “I’ve been jogging and swimming a ton. I was in school so mentally I feel pretty sharp, just going through exams and stuff.”

“I don’t think we take training as seriously as we should have. It’s just more for fun,” adds Mickey.

It might be just for fun but they also have big plans for the prize money should they win.

“Definitely pay off my student debt. Maybe we’ll buy a sailboat and sail around the world,” says Pete.

“Like pirates,” adds Mickey.

Source:http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/Articles/Season-Two/amazing_race_canada_season_2_mickey_pete_serious_c.aspx

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6_2UYZQS3Y0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6_2UYZQS3Y0</a>

Credit: Youtube user: cisolatw

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
My impression after 2 episodes: These guys are totally BJ & Tyler 2.0, and I love it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
I am liking them a lot too! I like their carefree attitude, but THANKFULLY they are not over the top like BJ and Tyler became.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
I am liking them a lot too. Hope they go far.

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
Deleted scene of the guys lost in the bush on way to pitstop. Way too funny, but looks like Mickey gashed his leg up a bit!
http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=399533&tag=405

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR CANADA 2 Contestants - Mickey Henry and Pete Schmalz (Best Friends)
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 12:01:06 PM »
Parry Sounders on second season of Amazing Race Canada

PARRY SOUND – Mickey Henry and Pete Schmalz have lived to tell the tale – once the second season of Amazing Race Canada airs that is.

The duo is sworn to secrecy about the adventure they had this spring, but as of yesterday everyone can watch it unfold as the show’s second season airs.

“It was hands down the coolest thing we’ve ever done,” said Henry. “You really can’t pay enough money to have this kind of experience. Unbelievable.”

The 24-year-old Humphrey Public School and Parry Sound High School graduates have been friends for life, growing up as neighbours in Seguin Township and together enjoy extreme sports.

While they’d watched the first season, it was Henry’s mom who suggested they put together an audition tape.

They decided to take up the challenge to cheer up Henry’s dad, who’d had heart surgery, without any great expectation of making it.

On Christmas day, the two put together an audition video featuring stills of their extreme sports adventures and submitted it two hours before deadline on Boxing Day.

“It was a lot of … nudity and stupidity,” said Henry between chuckles in a phone interview, after consulting with Schmalz who was with him at his Bala-based business. “Nobody wants to see it. It was a barrel full of laughs though.”

The show itself was filmed from mid-April to the end of May. To sneak away undetected by the community, the guys created cover stories: Pete was travelling to Chile as he’d planned before making the show, and Mickey was heading back to work on an oil rig.

“It worked out really well,” said Henry.

It wasn’t until they were publically named as contestants in June that the cat was out of the bag.

Growing up here gave them skills necessary for the show.

“Me and Pete are always going out there doing stupid extreme sports on a budget and travelling around, so we were a little bit prepared,” Henry said jovially.

The pair planned to watch the season premier with friends and family at a local bar last night. It airs every Tuesday night, with teams eliminated throughout the season until one team crosses the final finish line.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 12:29:05 PM »
Extra: ‘Amazing Race Canada’ Episode 4: Mickey and Pete Want Their Own Gold Medals

The best friends on Natalie and Meaghan’s winning streak

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=407646

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 05:47:14 PM »
Extra: ‘Amazing Race Canada’ Episode 6: Extended Mat Chats: Mickey and Pete
What you didn’t see on the show from the best friends.

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=415564

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 05:47:42 PM »
Extra: ‘Amazing Race Canada’ Episode 6: Hockey Fight
Natalie and Mickey throw a playful punch on the ice

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=415569

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 06:06:42 PM »
Extra: ‘Amazing Race Canada’ Episode 7: Mickey and Pete Groom a Horse
Pete sympathizes with the horse as he and Mickey try and braid its hair.

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=418992

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 10:04:37 AM »
Extra: ‘Amazing Race Canada’: Episode 8: Extended Mat Chats: Mickey and Pete
What you didn’t see on the show from the best friends in Paris.

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=425424

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 09:41:30 PM »
Extra: ‘Amazing Race Canada’ Episode 9: Extra: Mickey is a Grilled Cheese Connoisseur
Mickey talks up his grilled cheese skills to Pete.

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=430703

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 09:41:58 PM »
Extra: ‘Amazing Race Canada’ Episode 9: Extra: Mickey and Pete pull a prank on Nat and Meaghan
Watch what happens when the Olympians fall asleep at the airport.

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=430701

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 08:42:10 PM »
Amazing Race duo still enjoying the limelight

PARRY SOUND – Mickey Henry admits there is one huge benefit to being somewhat of a television celebrity – the girls.

Nearing the final episodes of Amazing Race Canada, Seguin Township’s Henry and his “BFF” Pete Schmalz are still in the running for the $250,000 grand prize.

Chatting with Henry is not unlike like catching up with a long-lost high school friend. His casual, upbeat demeanor and self-deprecating sense of humour are immediately disarming and infectious.

Wednesday morning 24-year-old said he and Schmalz have taken almost every opportunity to watch the episodes each Tuesday night at Don Cherry’s; mingling with the crowd, signing autographs and snapping pictures with adoring fans.

“It’s been great!” Henry says of his newfound popularity. “We love attention…girls actually talk to us at the bar now…you know, because Pete and I aren’t the nicest-looking guys.”

Henry said the entire competition, which wraps up on September 21, has kept the boys on their game.

“The whole race is tense, we’re always on our toes. I mean, we did get lost for a few hours when we went an hour north of Paris (France), when we should have stayed in Paris and spent all our money on a cab ride,” he said with a laugh.

As their wild ride comes to a close, Henry said he couldn’t pinpoint the best part about the experience, nor what he will do when it’s all over later this month.

“Everywhere has been so fun and everyone we’ve met along this whole race has been the best people ever – the nicest people – it’s pretty crazy,” He said. “I don’t even know (what I’ll do)…try and milk this for all it’s worth, I guess. I’ll probably be that guy still at the same bar 10 years later being like, ‘remember us?’”

The next episode airs Tuesday night on CTV at 9 p.m.

Source:http://www.parrysound.com/news-story/4857860-amazing-race-duo-still-enjoying-the-limelight/

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 10:31:44 AM »
Local Amazing Race Canada team looking for a top three finish

Our very own Mickey and Pete will look to secure a spot in the Amazing Race Canada finale tonight.  The boys are one of four remaining teams but won’t be at their usual viewing spot when the episode airs at 9:00pm on CTV.  The Finale will air on Sunday night from 8:00-9:00pm follow by a live After the Race show with all 11 teams from 9:00-10:00pm.

There is a radio interview link as well.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 09:09:57 PM »
Extra: ‘Amazing Race Canada’ Episode 11: Extended Mat Chats with the Final 3
What you didn’t see from the final three teams on the mat in New Brunswick.

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=441858&tag=405

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 03:44:37 PM »
FINAL THREE TEAMS ON WHY THEY SHOULD WIN ‘THE AMAZING RACE CANADA’

The fun-loving best friends from Muskoka have never won a leg but will their carefree attitude allow them to surge ahead when the pressure is on?

Number of Legs won: 0

Number of Times Saved by Non-Elimination: 0

Why do you think you’ve been able to make it this far?

Mickey: “Having our best friend to always be there and having a stress-free attitude, you don’t have to worry about getting mad at each other.”

Pete: “Relaxing and not stressing out and just knowing that whatever happens, it’s all good. We’ve had a blast so far.”

Why do you deserve to win?

Pete: “We’re good guys. We just try and be nice to everybody.”

Source:http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/Articles/Season-Two/tarc_season_2_final_3_preview.aspx

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 03:51:50 PM »
Final 3 interview on local news:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2010983

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 04:21:23 PM »
Good on them if they can pull out the win! I find them to be entertaining

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 04:38:50 PM »
I agree.
I may be in the minority here but I think that Hockey is getting overrated (I like them, but their entire storyline is based on their dominance)
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »
I agree.
I may be in the minority here but I think that Hockey is getting overrated (I like them, but their entire storyline is based on their dominance)

I feel we haven't gotten to know Hockey beyond the hockey..

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 04:54:42 PM »
Mickey, Pete, headed to Amazing Race finals

PARRY SOUND –   Mickey and Pete are in the last leg of The Amazing Race Canada.

Best friends Mickey Henry and Pete Schmalz, both of Seguin Township, have survived 11 legs of Amazing Race Canada, a reality television show that has had them surf in British Columbia, bungee jump in China, and master international signal flags in New Brunswick.

The final show airs Sunday, with a one-hour live special afterwards from Toronto with the two on hand.

“Oh man, it feels stupendously amazing,” said Schmalz of making the final three as he and Henry ordered breakfast at an Ottawa fast-food restaurant.

On Wednesday morning the duo, along with the other two teams, were in Ottawa for live morning television shows after a night out on the town. It was that trip that had them cancel their weekly Tuesday-night viewing of the show with family and friends at a Parry Sound bar.

One of their many supporters is Pete’s dad, Mark Schmalz.

“It’s not a huge surprise really, we knew the boys would be strong contenders,” he said, citing his son and Henry’s relaxed attitudes and penchant for extreme sports and travelling.

With the show taped in the spring, both men have kept mum about their experience of each show ahead of the airing.

See ‘No regrets’ page 3

They have been so secretive that even Schmalz’ dad isn’t in the know.

The support and popularity of the two local guys on the national television show has reached the point that Mark said he’s being recognized as his son’s father when out in town.

“A huge thank you to so many of the local people that have supported Pete and Mickey by attending the weekly viewings and the nice comments we have received about the boys and how nicely they represent Parry Sound,” wrote Mark in an email.

With the finally just two days away, Schmalz didn’t give any hints to how it’ll end.

“No matter what happens, no regrets,” he said.

In celebration of the final episode, Scotiabank is hosting a by-invite-only party Sunday night in Parry Sound.

Source: http://www.parrysound.com/news-story/4870698-mickey-pete-headed-to-amazing-race-finals/

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 12:27:09 PM »
Mickey Henry and Pete Schmalz win 'Amazing Race Canada': Their most amazing moments

A pair of 24-year-old Muskoka-based best buds won the second season of "Amazing Race Canada." After trekking 40,000 kilometers across Canada, Macau, Hong Kong and France, Mickey Henry and Pete Schmalz took home $250,000, a pair of trucks, a year of free flights, and free gas forever.
“I can’t believe we did it, man,” Schmalz said. “My life is just heading in a completely different direction!”
The long-haired hippie-style duo (Schmalz is a construction worker, Henry is founder of wakeboard park) beat out B.C. bartenders Ryan Steele and Rob Goddard and Canadian Olympic hockey players Natalie Spooner and Meaghan Mikkelson.
Though Spooner and Mikkelson won seven of the race's 11 legs and Schmalz-Henry won none, the latter got better and better over the course of the competition.
"Welp it's been a weird and wonderful ride and we're stoked that we could share our journey with all of our fans," the winning duo posted on Facebook last night. "Regardless of what happens tonight we love you all and are so gratefull for all the support! Ohya and we're still single... ladies."
To celebrate Henry and Schamlz's victory, we look back at their most amazing moments on the show:
The Underwear Dance
At the finish line, the duo dropped their pants, hugged host Jon Montgomery and high-fived the other competitors. They had planned their celebratory underwear dance at the start of the race. Henry explained to Montgomery that they ochestrated the move for earlier: "If we even win one leg, we'll strip down, but it never came!"
The Grilled Cheese Connaisseur
In week 9, Henry described himself as a "grilled cheese connoisseur," even though he generally uses cheap dairy. "I feel like that's the only thing I can bake," he said as Schmalz complained he had never tasted one. They only completed the challenge on the eleventh attempt, but they beat Mikkelson and Spooner that time around.
The Horse Whisperers
In week 7, the duo got in touch with their equine side while brushing the hair of a horse. "He's like, 'I don't like these dudes touching me,'" Schmalz said as Henry gingerly groomed the animal. "I don't like people touching my hair, either."
The Hockey Olympians
Somehow, Henry and Schmalz beat a pair of Olympic gold medallists in hockey in week 6. The teams had to score five goals at the MTS Centre to win, a challenge Spooner said was "made" for them. Though they easily scored the first four chots, Henry-Schmalz beat them to the fifth.  “Dude we just beat Olympians!” Henry exclaimed.
The Mellow Brothers
In Macau, the best friends decided to go with the "Stamp It" task, which involved  searching for six shrines to stamp on a scroll. Henry and Schmalz agreed to join forces with sibling team Sukhi and Jinder Atwal, but separated from them when they realized they weren't as laid back. Per Henry, “They’re definitely harshing our mellow."
Who wouldn't want to win a race with the least effort possible?

Source:https://ca.celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celebrity-news/mickey-henry-and-pete-schmalz-win--amazing-race-canada---their-most-amazing-moments-151430191.html