Author Topic: TAR CANADA 2 Contestants - Rex Harrington and Bob Hope (Engaged)  (Read 21738 times)

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR CANADA 2 Contestants - Rex Harrington and Bob Hope (Engaged)
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 09:12:16 PM »
TARC SNEAK PEEK: GOSSIP, REX, AND BOB: THE PERFECT RECIPE FOR PIEROGIS

So far, Rex and Bob have been “The Amazing Race Canada’s” most entertaining duo. What they lack in challenge wins, they make up for in great quotes and hashtags. This week, “The Race” makes its first ever stop in Winnipeg, where Rex and Bob learn that pierogis and gossip go together like cheese and potato.

In a detour that has the teams choosing between hockey and piergois, the betrothed opt for the Polish delicacy, where they have a chance to catch up on their chitchat.

When bartenders Ryan and Rob show up, the racers discuss how quickly Natalie and Meaghan – who are Canadian Women’s Hockey gold medalists – will get through the hockey detour. Ryan and Rob say they love the girls anyways to which Rex quips, “No we don’t.”

According to Rex and Bob, “It’s all about the gossip.”

See the full sneak peek of “She’s the Pierogi Poobah” and catch “The Amazing Race Canada” Tuesday at 9 p.m. ET on CTV.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 10:15:29 PM »
So far, Rex and Bob have been “The Amazing Race Canada’s” most entertaining duo. What they lack in challenge wins, they make up for in great quotes and hashtags.

Obviously the author is delusional, ugh I don't get why people like them, so frustrating

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 10:27:29 PM »
So far, Rex and Bob have been “The Amazing Race Canada’s” most entertaining duo. What they lack in challenge wins, they make up for in great quotes and hashtags.

Obviously the author is delusional, ugh I don't get why people like them, so frustrating

They're like Canada's version of Team Guido (Joe & Bill), older gay couple, pretty much the same intro with the wine glasses and their dog.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 09:07:45 PM »
RIP Rex and Bob

:torche :torche :torche :torche :torche :torche :torche :torche :torche :torche
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 12:07:53 AM »
^^^They didn't DIE. :groan: :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 07:22:22 AM »
 :funny:

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 07:54:10 AM »
^^^They didn't DIE. :groan: :funny:
but our dreams did  :funny:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 08:13:13 AM »
The most entertaining team this season! Absolutely fabulous!
Who is going to deliver the best quotes now that they are eliminated?

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2014, 09:57:10 AM »
Such an incredible team! Best entertainment value we've seen from a team in a long time IMO!

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
Such an incredible team! Best entertainment value we've seen from a team in a long time IMO!

So sad to see them go, at least we got 6 legs out of them!

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2014, 05:45:47 PM »
Extra: ‘Amazing Race Canada’ Episode 6: Extended Mat Chats: Rex and Bob
What you didn’t see on the show from the engaged couple.

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=415561

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »
The Amazing Race Canada: Rex and Bob still shocked at elimination

How close were Rex Harrington and Bob Hope to not being eliminated in Tuesday’s episode of The Amazing Race Canada? About two-and-a-half minutes.

The couple became the fifth team to be ousted in the globe-trotting reality competition and when host Jon Montgomery gave them the news, their jaws hit the floor.

“We were totally shocked,” Hope tells QMI Agency. “But I’m glad we didn’t go out in some teary-eyed-can’t-do challenge.”

The pair were just minutes behind Ryan Steele and Rob Goddard, but a wrong turn caused them to lose.

“When we got to the Canadian Museum for Human Rights, we got out of our cab and went looking for the door,” Hope says. “We ran around the whole building looking for the door, but it was just to the right when we got out of the cab. We were just a few minutes behind Rob and Ryan. Had we gotten out of the pierogies quicker, then we’d still be in it.”

“We saw Natalie and Meghan and they are the superstars of the show and they are always in first,” Harrington adds. “We thought, ‘If they had a hockey challenge, of course they got through it, so we must be doing really well.’ Then we saw Rob and Ryan and thought, ‘We must be third.’

“It was an absolute shock.”

The whole time they were part of the race Harrington and Hope envisioned themselves in the finale, joking that they thought they would at least outlast the bumbling Sukhi and Jinder and Mickey and Pete.

“We thought, ‘They won’t get eliminated, they’ll just get lost,’ ” Hope says with a laugh.

“Our whole strategy was to be in the top three; and we were — twice. When we got to the finale we were going to have a different strategy for whoever else was in there.”

Despite not making it to the end, Rex and Bob say the experience was still a life-changer.

“It was like having a complete, paid-for adventure tour where all you have to do is show up. Everything else is looked after,” Hope says.

“There are things you do that you probably would never do unless you were forced to do them,” Harrington adds. “It’s a lot of bucket-list things.”

Source:http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/13/the-amazing-race-canada-rex-and-bob-still-shocked-at-elimination

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2014, 05:55:51 PM »
Ruth Myles: Rex and Bob are open to doing more TV after time on The Amazing Race Canada

The team that gave us gems such as “Who designs these torture tests: Satan?” and will have to forever live down the indignity of quitting two challenges in one episode have hung up their backpacks for good. Rex Harrington and Bob Hope were eliminated on this week’s episode of The Amazing Race Canada after finishing last in Winnipeg. I caught up with the engaged couple to chat about their time on the series.

Question: How does it feel watching your time on the Race?

Rex: It’s surreal. We were fans of the show and we sat on the couch bitching about everybody doing stuff and now we are the people that are being bitched at. To see yourself and what you did, it’s incredible.

Q: What was a high point?

Rex: I think the bungee jumping in Hong Kong was pretty amazing. It was scary. I have a bit of a fear up there. But that’s the thing about the Race: the adrenalin just kicks in. It’s like we were all saying (on the special After the Race), you just go and you just do and you do things that you never do normally.

Q: And if you could speak about the infamy that will live forever: taking two penalties on one leg.

Bob: Can you believe it? It was so weird watching us do that. The adrenalin is pumping. Everything is on super hyper-drive with your emotions. We were on a good solid lead going down to that beach and to see it erode just drove us crazy. The editors were actually very kind to us because I was a lot more frustrated than they showed. They could have made me look like some crazy hot head. And they didn’t show me as frustrated as I was. We had a lot of lessons to learn and we learned them. I was watching me taking my own chair apart. I was throwing pieogies at the TV. Like, ‘What are you doing!?!’

Q: What is the reaction like when you’re out and about?

Rex: It’s just starting, at places like the grocery store in the small town, Ashburn, near us. There was a woman the other day; she was shaking. ‘You’re our favourites!’ Even yesterday in the city, I was just walking by myself and people start staring at you. It’s amazing, the power of television. I was on stage for 20 years, with a specific following of ballet people, but even when I did So You Think You Can Dance, it’s strange how a couple of episodes will have people recognizing you. So we are starting to get that. It is creating a monster in Bob. It’s out of control. Can’t get a word in edgewise. His highlights got much brighter yesterday. He’s got the teeth whitening going, too.

Q: One of things that stood out was what a great relationship you two have.

Rex: I was joking earlier, saying, ‘I am such a bitch. Bob is such a saint.’ We were calling ourselves The Bickersons. But it’s all good fun and we’re fine at the end of the day. That’s how we are. There was a time earlier on in the relationship that if we were like that, we wouldn’t speak to each other for a week. But it’s said and done and get out of the way and move on.

Q: Did you learn about yourself or your relationship on the Race?

Bob: I think it confirms stuff we knew. We are both competitive and sometimes can be a bit impatient and will dive into things. Sometimes we can be a bit dogmatic and stick with something. That’s what we learned on the beach, as well: why were we in deep water? We just stuck to our own thing. And I never looked at anyone else’s chair and I should have. ‘Oh, what are they doing? Maybe I should try that and change my approach and not just be stubborn and dogmatic and stick to our thing and be frustrated and angry.’ What we learned as well is when you lose your cool like that, you only hurt yourself.

Q: In your contestant bios, you each said, ‘I like the spotlight; I don’t like to share.’

Rex: Oh, I know. I kept telling him, his hands, even in the exit interviews on the Race, he’s just gesticulating everywhere. His hands are in my shot. I’m like, ‘You’re blocking my shot!’ I was pulling his arms out of my shot.

Q: You saw not only Canada, but travelled to Hong Kong, too.

Rex: I know, we lucked out with that. But the thing is, when you’re in the Race. You don’t’ get to see much. We were there overnight, it felt like. We arrived at night, we raced during the day and then we were out of there. It was a blur.

Q: How much more difficult was it being on the Race than you were expecting as a fan of the series?

Rex: Oh my God, it’s way more difficult. Even in our audition tape, we said, ‘We don’t want to be the whiny ones: we can’t do this!’ We realized that we all sit in the armchair thinking we can do better, but once you‘re in it, some of those challenges are so hard. You get frustrated and overwhelmed. What you don’t see is that sometimes you spend hours doing what gets edited down to a couple of minutes.

Q: What advice would you give other Racers?

Rex: I think just not to overthink it. We kept constantly being told to read your clues. All the information you need to get through a challenge is in the clue. Take your time; slow down; don’t panic. Because when you get there and you rip it open and you don’t think. If you take your time, you won’t lose anything. That’s what we realized in the end: read the clue, be calm, slow and steady wins the Race. Don’t panic. In the first leg of the Race, we’re panicking and turning on each other. It was just crazy.

Rex and Bob discuss taking two penalties during one leg of the  Race.
Rex and Bob discuss taking two penalties during one leg of the Race.

Q: There’s a lot of love out there for you two, but there are also people who aren’t as nice. How are you handling that?

Bob: Really well. The producers warned us, all Racers, that everyone is going to get haters for whatever reasons. We knew to expect it. . . . The truth is, we needed to eat some crow. Apparently we made Amazing Race history, but we’re not the trailblazers we wanted to be. . . . But a guardian angel was looking over us to allow us to continue on. We are so grateful for that because those four episodes we had following those penalties we had were redemption. We won people back over . . . . But you have to own it and we do.

Q: Would you be open to doing a wedding special?

Rex: Gaylyweds! We are pitching our own show, Gay Acres. And then we will have the Gaylyweds episode out on the farm. We moved out of the city to a 20-acre, old 1848 stone farmhouse. . . We thought, ‘You know, we’d be better than the Kardashians whining at people every week.’ My ass isn’t quite as big as Kim Kardashian’s yet, but I think it might be getting there. After seeing myself on TV, I am starting a juice fast.

Q: And what about a reality series?

Rex: Yes, I am a media whore. I love being on TV.

Bob: Yeah, definitely. We keep sort of talking about it, and it’s starting to get some legs. On social media people are saying, ‘They should have their own reality show.’ We’re thinking about it. I don’t know what will happen, but we hope so. (A wedding special perhaps?) I know, right? The property we live on, we want to get married on. That might be part of it, or it might be the whole thing. We are open to anything.

Q: On After the Race, teams were asked who they would want to Race with. I want to know who you’d want to go drinking with.

Bob: We kind of have! We have come best friends with Shawan and Jen, not because of the shoulder injury, but because we just adore each other. So, they are our drinking buddies now.

Q: Is there anything you want people to know that maybe didn’t come across on the show?

Bob: We tried to be as honest and authentic as possible, so what you see is exactly who we are. We like to laugh. We are very passionate about everything we do, so we laugh hard, we play hard, we argue hard. Everything is big and boisterous. It’s pretty much us, is what you saw.

Source:http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2014/08/13/ruth-myles-rex-and-bob-are-open-to-doing-more-tv-after-time-on-the-amazing-race-canada/

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2014, 05:57:19 PM »
Thank god they got eliminated

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »
The Amazing Race Canada: Six questions with Rex and Bob

Much to their surprise, Rex Harrington and Bob Hope were the fifth team to be eliminated from The Amazing Race Canada. Before arriving at the Pit Stop, Rex struggled through a Roadblock challenge where contestants had to learn and perform a rock'n'roll song.

We caught up with Rex and Bob before their appearance on The Social. Here's what they had to say about what they learned about each other, their dream destination and, of course, Cher.

Q: You guys were hilarious to watch, especially in those moments when your patience was wearing thin. Did you learn anything new about one another during this experience?

Rex Harrington: He's a b***h.

Bob Hope: He's Cranky McQuitterson and I'm Bicker McBickerson.

Q: If you got to choose the song to perform to in last night's Roadblock what song would you have picked?

BH: Anything by Cher.

RH: [singing] Do you believe in life after love...If I could turn back time…She's a scamp, a camp and a bit of a tramp.

RH and BH: V-A-M-P. Vamp!

BH: Any decade of Cher and we would have nailed it.

Q: So far, the teams have competed in China and next week they are heading to France. If you could have travelled anywhere in the world to compete, where would you want to go?

RH: Australia.

BH: Australia would have been cool. If it were in Australia, something that would have been cool to do would be kayaking.

RH: Or herding kangaroo.

BH [in an Australian accent]: A dingo! Chasing a dingo.

Q: What did you miss the most about home?

BH: Our dogs, which is so funny because in the Yukon, I can't believe we didn't do the dog sled challenge. We have a Great Dane and a German Shepherd. We are really comfortable with big dogs. And we chose to build a campsite which was a lot like making a chair.

Q: It comes as no surprise that you guys struggled with some of the challenges (i.e. surfing, building the chair, the performance). Rex, I believe you called them Torture Tests. Was there a challenge that you guys actually enjoyed?

RH: The perogie thing slowed us down but we enjoyed it so much. They were so sweet, those ladies, just talking to them and teasing them.

BH: The biggest rush for me was jumping out of a plane.

RH: I actually really liked the shooting as well. That was fun. Once you got it, it felt so cool.  I've only ever shot a watergun at the C.N.E. (Canadian National Exhibition).

Q: If you were asked to do the Race again but you had to partner up with a celebrity, who would you want as your partner?

BH: Cher! I'm just going to answer everything Cher. “What was the hardest challenge?” Cher. “What did you miss from home?” Cher. [laughing] I crack myself up.

RH: Apparently you do.

BH: “What did you learn about yourself?” Cher.

source:http://www.thesocial.ca/culture/television/the-amazing-race-canada-five-questions-with-rex-an

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014, 06:08:28 PM »
REX AND BOB SAYS THEIR ‘SHOCKING’ ELIMINATION WAS THE BEST WAY TO LEAVE ‘AMAZING RACE CANADA’

What softens the blow of being eliminated from “The Amazing Race Canada?”

For Rex Harrington and Bob Hope, it’s having no idea you’re in last place.

The engaged couple thought they were in third place when they arrived at the Pit Stop in Winnipeg and were stunned when host Jon Montgomery told them they were last.

“I thought he was kidding,” says Rex. “It was a complete shock.”

“And Jon was shocked with us (that we didn’t know),” adds Bob, who hails from Winnipeg.

“It was the best way to go out,” says Rex. “You don’t want to be crying or (go through what Nicole did last week), having been at a challenge for seven hours.”

The teams says they fell behind during a Detour challenge making pierogies because they were having so much fun chatting with the ladies at the church, they failed to pick up the pace.

“We just realized we slowed down, we stopped racing because they were so cute, those ladies, we started talking to them and they were (giving us recipes),” says Rex.

“We were literally like, ‘So how many pierogies do you make in a week?’ The only thing missing was a pair of slippers and a blanket,” adds Bob with a laugh.

After finally completing the challenge, the team headed to a bar called Whiskey Dix, where Rex donned a pink fishnet shirt and platinum wig and had to sing like a rock star.

The former National Ballet of Canada dancer and “So You Think You Can Dance Canada” judge says not only was it a struggle to memorize the words, but he had come down with a sinus infection the night before and struggled to sing with such a hoarse voice.

“He sounded like Linda Blair from ‘The Exorcist,’” says Bob with a laugh.

By the time they got to the Pit Stop, they were in last place, but the team says they are just grateful they had the chance to get as far as they did.

After taking two penalties during the second leg in Tofino, B.C., giving up on a surfing and chair making challenge, it looked like Rex and Bob would be eliminated.

But when fellow competitor Shawn King dislocated his shoulder and had to withdraw from the “Race” with his wife Jen, it meant Rex and Bob were still in it.

The team says even though it’s unfortunate that Jen and Shawn had to pull out, they are grateful for a second chance and a chance to go international.

“That would’ve been our enduring legacy (of quitting). We had four really good legs for redemption,” says Bob.

“We went into it thinking, ‘God, let’s just not go out in the first leg’ so we surprised ourselves,” adds Rex.

But the couple is disappointed they didn’t win the prize money, which they were going to use to try and get singing legend Cher to attend their upcoming wedding.

“Now is plan B, we don’t know what that is yet,” says Bob.

“We’ll get a drag queen from Woody’s to come down,” says Rex.

“No, I want the real thing. I want Cher,” says Bob.

Source:http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/Articles/Season-Two/amazing_race_canada_season_2_rex_bob_shocking_elim.aspx

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »
Rex: Gaylyweds! We are pitching our own show, Gay Acres. And then we will have
the Gaylyweds episode out on the farm. We moved out of the city to a 20-acre,
old 1848 stone farmhouse. . . We thought, ‘You know, we’d be better than the
Kardashians whining at people every week.’

Beekman's V 2
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2014, 09:40:20 PM »
Rex: Gaylyweds! We are pitching our own show, Gay Acres. And then we will have
the Gaylyweds episode out on the farm. We moved out of the city to a 20-acre,
old 1848 stone farmhouse. . . We thought, ‘You know, we’d be better than the
Kardashians whining at people every week.’

Beekman's V 2
This is so fabulous!

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2014, 02:20:45 PM »
Amazing Race Canada season two: Exit interviews

The team consisting of Rex Harringon and Bob Hope was the fifth to be eliminated from the sixth leg of The Amazing Race Canada’s second season Tuesday night. The remaining seven teams flew from Whitehorse through Vancouver to Winnipeg and travelled to the Royal Canadian Mint where they matched ten international coins to the flags of their respective countries. Rex and Bob were fourth after that challenge but tied for last with Rob and Ryan after their Detour spent making perogies in the basement of a Ukrainian church. The Roadblock saw teams channelling their inner rock star by performing a song in front of a rowdy crowd at the Whisky Dix bar, a task for which Rob proved particularly adept, winning his clue in one try. Rex’s performance background proved irrelevant on the club stage, however, as the crowd booed his attempts to rock & roll, leading to Rex and Bob’s elimination. MSN Canada caught up with them to discuss their time on the show.

Tell us about the Roadblock at Whisky Dix.

Rex: The only problem I had with it was the song was written specifically for it so it was nothing you would have heard before. And in the first stanzas of the song there was no rhyme or reasons to them, so it was very difficult to get a hook into what they were. And I think by watching the show I realized that other people struggled as well; they took four or five attempts. And it just came down to Rob got it in one. And I don’t even think he got all the words. I think he just rocked out really well and looked fabulous. He had a great outfit on, unlike me. And it was hard to get the beginning of the song. I kept looking down to look at it, which was why I was wearing glasses through the whole thing. It was ridiculous.

How many attempts did it take?

Rex: About four or five. And it was just weird being onstage and having people booing you and telling you to get off the stage if you didn’t get it right. It threw me a bit.

Were you really so shocked that you were eliminated?

Rex: Absolutely. Like we said, we say Natalie and Meaghan, the superstars of the show, and they’re phenoms and always first. And if they did a hockey challenge then we must be doing really well. And we only saw Rob & Ryan behind us, and we said, ‘Does that mean we are third?’ And we were totally shocked. I’m glad we didn’t go out in some teary-eyed, twelve-hour, can’t do challenge. And there was a ballerina there in the end so it was all perfect.

Did you have any qualms about how the show’s editing shaped your narrative?

Bob: Well, if anything, I’m grateful for the editing, especially on the second episode, because I got very frustrated, and they didn’t show me as frustrated as I was. I could have been made to look like this crazy hothead. So I’m actually grateful that I didn’t look as bad as I potentially could have.

Bob, Rex is a celebrity, and now you’re with him…

Rex: No, he’s not. They’ve created a monster! (laughs)

How do you feel about sharing the limelight?

Bob: It’s funny. [Comic] Colin Mochrie is a friend of ours, and his wife Debra McGrath is also a performer. We were at an event, and I’m used to being on the side while Rex was getting interviewed or photographed and stuff. So Colin and Rex were with the prime minister at some event, and so I just naturally stepped aside as I do. And Deb grabbed me, she said, ‘You will not be made to shove it.’ I was like ‘what?’ ‘I learned that lesson years ago. You get right up there. You deserve to be there as much as he does. Don’t let them shove you aside.’ So I owe that to Deb McGrath.

You were the oldest team. Did that have any impact on you?

Bob: I don’t think we see ourselves as our actual ages. In one of our interviews we put it together. We said, ‘I think the youngest team is probably Mickey and Pete. So their combined age was I think fifty, and our combined age is a hundred.’ We said, ‘We’re a hundred. We’re a hundred!’ (laughs) But at no time did we feel at a disadvantage. It never even crossed our minds. It wasn’t even on our radar.

Would you recommend that other Canadians try out for The Amazing Race Canada?

Rex: Absolutely. If for no other reason than to see the country. I’d never been to the Yukon. I’d never seen places that are so beautiful and not realizing it. And you wouldn’t necessarily go there because we always leave the country. But seeing Canada, it’s quite beautiful.

Bob: We’ve had a lot of people ask ‘has it changed your relationship?’ It didn’t change it at all. It just kind of confirmed… The way we were on the race is the way we are every day. But I can see if it was an early relationship it could really be a difficult stress, because you’re in each other’s business for the duration of the race, not necessarily having clean laundry to wear; you’re kind of at your ugliest. So it can be a real challenge, but we loved it.

Source:http://entertainment.ca.msn.com/tv/amazing-race-canada-season-two-exit-interviews-3

Offline JSM

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »
rip, winnipeg can do nothing right

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2014, 11:33:38 PM »
Final Bow For Bob & Rex on Amazing Race Canada

Radio interview:http://kelowna.myezrock.com/newsfeed/2014/08/13/final-bow-for-bob-rex-on-amazing-race-canada

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2014, 11:37:49 PM »
Dancer duo discuss 'Amazing Race Canada' exit

TORONTO - A season of missteps finally caught up to decorated ballet star Rex Harrington and his fiance Bob Hope — an improving, ever-quotable pair who were nevertheless the fifth team eliminated from "The Amazing Race Canada" on Tuesday.

Fleet of feet and wit, Harrington and his partner had become the show's droll breakout stars after initially looking like one of its weakest squads, but a whisk through Winnipeg ended their hopes of continuing on.

First, the pair made a dawdling Detour decision to pack perogies — a much more time-consuming task than the alternative — before the typically loquacious Harrington forgot the words in a goofy rock-star challenge, meaning the season's most irreverently tart-tongued duo finally fell short of the barre.

Even in defeat, a sanguine Hope called the race "the most amazing experience of our lives."

Lockstep twins Pierre and Michel Forget won the leg (and a trip to Los Cabos, Mexico) simply because the Francophone fraternity bypassed the English-intensive Road Block entirely. For that, they utilized their Express Pass, a gift from Canadian Olympians Natalie Spooner and Meaghan Mikkelson — whose journey to the centre of Canada, by the way, proved deeply humbling.

Before that, all the teams loaded on the same flight from the Yukon to Winnipeg (via Vancouver) and zoomed to the Royal Canadian Mint, where the day's first challenge required competitors to match international coins with their respective national flags. It stymied no one.

So the episode's first signs of drama came with the Detour, which offered two choices: "Pinch It," requiring teams to carefully assemble 74 perogies in the untelegenic basement of the St Ivan Suchavsky Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral; or "Puck It," tasking teams with navigating the MTS Centre ice and scoring five goals in five distinct parts of the net.

(Montreal couple Alain Chanoine and Audrey Tousignant-Maurice bravely opted for the episode's Fast Forward option — which required locating seven faded "ghost signs" — and rocketed to a second-place finish as a result.)

Everyone understandably presumed the hockey challenge provided an unfair advantage for the gold medallists Natalie and Meaghan, including Natalie and Meaghan.

"They're going to sneeze and they're going to be out," Bob crowed with an implied roll of his eyes.

Indeed, the typically stone-faced hockey players laced up their skates with a palpable giddiness.

"It's kind of a challenge made for us," enthused Natalie.

"I want to wear this all day," smiled Meaghan as she strapped on her helmet.

Well, she would almost get her wish. As expected, the hockey stars initially glided smoothly about the ice, effortlessly hitting their first four out of five targets.

When it came to the notorious "five hole," though, they struggled. And struggled. Then struggled some more.

"It's the stick. I'm blaming the stick," lamented Natalie.

Eager to provide contrast, there was the reliably frantic Terrace, B.C., sibling duo of Sukhi and Jinder Atwal, who immediately compared their non-existent experience level to that of the Olympians.

"Do you know how to skate, Sukh?" Jinder queried.

"No. How hard could it be?" replied Sukhi.

"Do you know if you're left-handed or right-handed?" he asked.

"Who cares?" she responded.

Her dismissive confidence was, at least relatively speaking, well-founded.

On the other hand, two seasoned professionals in Natalie and Meaghan floundered to the point of real frustration, failing again and again to slide the puck through the five hole.

"This is just a little embarrassing," acknowledged Natalie, her initial enthusiasm gone.

Cheery Ontario forest dudes Mickey Henry and Pete Schmalz nailed the challenge on nine shots total. It took Pierre and Michel 11. Sukhi and Jinder, complete on-ice neophytes, required 39 tries before moving on.

And then there were Natalie and Meaghan, who finally advanced after snapping a grand total of — wait for it — 57 shots.

Their competitors scarcely tried to conceal their schadenfreude, likely amplified by the Olympians' race-spanning dominance.

"It's just the most epic thing ever to watch gold medal Olympians keep missing," grinned Jinder.

"Dude, we just beat Olympians! We ARE Olympians!" shouted Mickey and Pete upon departure.

Humiliated as they understandably were, the hockey stars were offered no respite from embarrassment at their next stop: the Winnipeg club Whiskey Dix for a Road Block singalong.

The challenge required one member of each team to memorize the lyrics to an unknown glam-metal tune called "When the Sun Goes Down" (composed by Imaginary Cities' Rusty Matyas), and perform to a packed crowd while clad in a "rock-star" getup — including silly pants, a silly shirt and an extra silly wig, along with three accessories.

"Of course I'm going booty shorts," concluded Mickey, who also selected a Slash-redolent mane of bountiful curly black hair and a fake mustache that kept falling off.

"The second I put the outfit on, I just lost a nut," enthused Jinder.

Aside from the language barrier-blocked Forgets, the teams didn't struggle much with the challenge. Jinder, Natalie and Mickey all moved on after fewer than a half-dozen run-throughs apiece, mostly allowing themselves a moment to soak up a little adulation as they exited.

"I had to kiss a few babes on the way out," explained Mickey. "And then I was like, 'Not now babes. I have to go see my boyfriend Jon Montgomery.'"

Ultimately, then, it came down to a showdown between Rex and Bob and Vancouver bartenders Ryan Steele and Rob Goddard, mutually slowed by the rather dull perogy-packing challenge.

Rex finished the challenge in six tries, but couldn't have predicted that Rob possessed an inner Sunset Strip just waiting to beam out.

"I got right into character," said Rob as he donned a hot pink wig. "New me!"

He nailed the challenge on his first try, and thus relegated the show's celebrity pair to elimination.

As they jogged on to the Pit Stop, Rex and Bob actually misjudged the field and arrived believing they were in third place.

"Delusional," muttered Rex as he found out the truth.

And so, the pair's final pithy barb was self-directed. But Rex and Bob — seemingly so vulnerable in the show's early going, when they at one point abandoned two challenges in the same episode — in fact departed having proven their mettle, surviving to the series' halfway point.

Accordingly, they seemed undaunted by their ouster. Host Montgomery was appropriately joined at the Pit Stop by a ballet dancer, and on Rex's way out, he playfully embraced and dipped the woman.

"We got to see Canada and do some amazing stuff," he said later. "So we're really happy."

Next week, the racers scurry off to Normandy, France. First, Rex and Bob took time Wednesday to discuss their ouster with The Canadian Press.

___

CP: So, perogies. How much do you regret the perogies? It seemed much more time-consuming than the alternative.

Rex: It was, but I can barely stand up on skates.

Bob: After having seen Sukhi and Jinder struggle with it, and then still get through it, and faster obviously than we did with the perogies, I think it would have been an easier challenge. Plus when the other teams are all there, it makes you really go hard. We were the only ones initially in that basement and with all those grannies we got all comfy and cozy and we actually stopped racing-racing. We completely forgot we were racing. Then when Rob and Ryan came we were all just kind of hanging out with the girls. It was hysterical.

___

CP: Did you forge any friendships here?

Bob: For sure. We're really, really tight and close with Shawn and Jen. They've come to visit and stay with us twice already. We love love love love them. We did during the race start to form a good relationship with Cormac and Nicole and Audrey and Alain. Those three teams, we became really close.

___

CP: How did it feel watching yourselves on TV?

Rex: Umm... I need to go on Jenny Craig. Not happy about that.

___

CP: Let's talk the leg where you did quit on two challenges. I saw a fair bit of vitriol online directed your way. What did you make of the reaction, and do you regret it?

Bob: We regretted it like that evening. And it was really humbling and eating a lot of humble pie. We knew that we would get a lot of negative backlash. We're just so glad we got it out of the way early. We all have a bad day at the office. Unfortunately ours played itself out in front of the whole country.

___

CP: You told me before the race you'd spend your winnings on a wedding. You didn't win, but will you still get married?

Rex: We'll be like Star Jones and get everything donated.

Bob: Ultimate goal was to have Cher at the wedding. Now we have to figure out how we're going to get Cher. I do not want an impersonator. I want Cher.

___

CP: Most people have those dreams where they're back in school and late for an exam they didn't study for. What element of "Amazing Race Canada" will haunt you?

Bob: Driftwood.

Rex: And surf boards.

source:https://www.insidehalton.com/whatson-story/4756311-dancer-duo-discuss-amazing-race-canada-exit/