Author Topic: TAR CANADA 2 Contestants - Ryan Steele and Rob Goddard (Co-workers)  (Read 13051 times)

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
Ryan Steele and Rob Goddard (Co-workers)

Ryan Steele

Twitter: @ryansteeleshow

Current City: Vancouver
Hometown: Langley, B.C.
Strengths: Running, public speaking, eating
Fears/Phobias: Spiders
Favourite Travel Destination: Madrid
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “When Rob tries to be funny.”

Rob Goddard

Twitter: @rgod2014

Current City: Vancouver
Hometown: Smithers, B.C.
Strengths: Athletic, confident, kind
Fears/Phobias: “Reveinka – Ryan’s drag persona.”
Favourite Travel Destination: Bali
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “Ryan takes things too far sometimes to embarrass me.”

TEAM BIO

Ryan and Rob are two good-looking, wisecracking bartenders who work together in Vancouver’s West End. They are big personalities who know how to turn on the charm in order to make the tip jars overflow. They have great comedic timing and seem to have no problem calling one another out on their flaws, but always in a playful manner. The 12-year age difference between them is often mentioned but neither thinks it plays a real factor in their friendship.

Ryan is a sketch comic with aspirations of stepping out from behind the bar and launching his comedy career full-time. He’s had some great success with different viral videos and a live comedy act, The Ryan and Amy Show. He knows that a career in comedy isn’t the easiest way to pay the bills.

Rob is a former Mr. Gay Canada who has turned his hobby of working out into a budding personal training career. Ultimately, he wants to step away from the bar and work full-time as a trainer.

POTENTIAL ROADBLOCKS: The two unanimously agree without hesitation: “Directions.”

Both Ryan and Rob want to win 'The Amazing Race Canada' to move away from the world of bartending and be financially secure enough to focus on their real passions. They are two young men who are determined to race and win.

Motto: “Stay calm and don’t give up – we’ve got this hun!”

Team they most associate with from Season 1: Jet and Dave
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR CANADA 2 Contestants - Ryan Steele and Rob Goddard (Co-workers)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 01:49:28 PM »
Bartenders Ryan and Rob hope their sense of humour will help them win 'The Amazing Race Canada'

Wisecracking bartenders Ryan Steele and Rob Goddard know their sense of humour and athleticism are two of their greatest strengths. They’re just hoping the other teams don’t see it that way.

“I hope teams don’t see us a threat because we’re the younger-ish guys. I hope when they actually meet us they’ll realize we’re just nice, fun guys. I’ll be cracking jokes maybe too much. People will have to tell me to shut up,” says Ryan, 36.

The two friends met while working together in Vancouver’s West End more than five years ago and have been inseparable ever since.

“We really got along and started working out together and started doing everything together,” says Ryan.

“We have fun together,” adds Rob, 24. “We like the same kind of comedy. We get each other’s humour. We work really well together. We just understand the bar life . . . we’ve never had a fight that I can think of.”

The friends travel well together – they just returned from a three-week trip to Australia and Japan – and know they can handle whatever the “Race” throws at them.

“We got along pretty famously . . . I’m sure we will get in little fights. I know I’m going to be the one who’s probably going to get dramatic or aggravated but hopefully the pressure of everyone watching will kind of keep me cool,” says Ryan.

“I don’t think we’re going to have any major fights. It’s just going to little bickering back and forth at the most,” adds Rob.

As well as bartending, Ryan is a sketch comedian and Rob is a model and personal trainer who has been studying in Australia. Both friends would like to win “The Amazing Race Canada” so they can use the money to pursue their dream careers full time.

“I wouldn’t have to bartend anymore because that is getting in the way of my career right now . . . if I could just commit to comedy it would be a dream,” says Ryan.

“I’d like to pay for schooling, do more travelling, just focus on my goal,” says Rob.

While Rob is seasoned in everything from kayaking to mountain climbing, he hopes the “Race” will give his buddy Ryan a chance to experience some extreme sports as well.

“I definitely want him to do things he hasn’t experienced like skydiving. I’ve done quite a bit (of that stuff) so we’ll figure it out when we get to the challenges.”

Other than spreading out the physical challenges, the team has one other strategy going into the “Race”: don’t give up.

“Some people are at these challenges forever . . . you’ve always got to have in your mind don’t give up, don’t freak out and hopefully we can go as far as we can,” says Ryan.

Source:http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/Articles/Season-Two/amazing_race_canada_season_2_ryan_rob_sense_of_hum.aspx

Offline Heliox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 07:39:30 PM »
.. and friend to longtime poster here at RFF.. goooo Rob and Ryan!!  :yess:

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sUIh1J_c1S0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sUIh1J_c1S0</a>

Credit: Youtube user: cisolatw

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 05:05:42 PM »
Off the radar and on the run

Competing on the Amazing Race Canada was a learning experience for Ryan Steele.

For one, he didn't know if he could survive without having his phone to constantly update what he was doing through social media.

"It was hard," he laughed about the first couple of days without the device.

"You are cut off from the world (and) for me to go off the radar for five weeks, I was a little bit scared about that."

In the end, he adapted to life without his cellphone and admits he found it quite refreshing.

"I always tell people I come from a time when we didn't have cellphones and life was just fine back then," Steele said.

The other thing the 36-year-old learned, was that he was capable of doing more than he thought he was.

"I surprised myself," he admitted.

"Some of the things I did, I thought I would be way more scared doing (and) in the process of doing them, I never cracked, I was always calm."

That is about all Steele is allowed to say about his time on the Amazing Race Canada, which premieres on July 8.

The show was filmed throughout the month of May and sees 11 teams compete for top spot.

The prizes include $250,000 cash, the opportunity to fly free for a year anywhere that Air Canada flies worldwide in business class, two Chevrolet Silverado trucks and gas for life from Petro-Canada.

The teams race against each other over 25 days, completing challenges along the way, with the team who arrives last at their destination eliminated over the course of the show.

In the show, Steele — who grew up in Langley, where his parents still live — partners with his friend and co-worker of five years, Rob Goddard.

They both bartend at 560 Nightclub in Vancouver.

"I don't think I could have done (the show) with anyone else," Steele said. "I was always the one who would freak out a little bit more and he was the one who would stay pretty calm."

Steele said he has watched every season of the Amazing Race — this is the second of the Canadian version and there have been 24 seasons of the American program.

"I love watching reality TV and I thought it would be fun and good exposure for me," he said.

While bartending primarily pays the bills, Steele's passion is being a sketch comic.

With that in mind, Steele wore a shirt promoting The Ryan and Amy Show during the Amazing Race Canada.

The Ryan and Amy Show is a live sketch show he does with Amy Goodmurphy. They also have comedy videos online at their website.

The show — which he describes as Kids in the Hall-esque — has been on for three years.

The four years prior to that, he starred in The Ryan Steele Show.

Goodmurphy holds a day job and Steele works nights, so one of the biggest challenges is balancing their time in their schedules for the show, their other jobs and their personal lives.

They are also working on some TV projects with an end goal of working solely as comedians.

The fact Steele is trying to make a living doing a comedy show wouldn't surprise his former classmates in Langley. Steele graduated from H.D. Stafford in 1996.

As a high school student, he was heavily involved in school plays, student council — pretty much everything, he said.

Following high school, he took a break from acting, but got back into it in his mid-20s.

And it was around that time that Steele, who lost a testicle to cancer at age 19, began doing cancer awareness fundraisers — which were more sketch and comedy-based — came up with the idea for his show.

•••

The Amazing Race Canada will air on Tuesday nights this summer, beginning July 8, at 9 p.m. on CTV.

Steele and Goddard will host viewing parties during the season at The Junction Public House (1138 Davie St.) in Vancouver.

Source:http://www.langleytimes.com/entertainment/265830361.html

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 12:34:37 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0LpfXyxN4SE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0LpfXyxN4SE</a>

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 10:50:23 AM »
Extra: ‘Amazing Race Canada’ Episode 5: Mat Chats: Alain and Audrey, Ryan and Rob
What you didn’t see on the show from the dating couple and co-workers.

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=411649

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 10:32:53 PM »
I feel like editing really hasn't shown Ryan & Rob to their fullest, since Ryan is a sketch comic. Shame :(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:38:51 PM by Maanca »

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 11:00:48 PM »
It will probably pick up as the race progresses :P

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 02:04:03 PM »
It will probably pick up as the race progresses :P
Hopefully, and starting with the next episode (ep 7)???

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 11:31:26 PM »
Hopefully next leg they'll step up their presence.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 08:16:04 AM »
I like them, but oh my, directionally  challenged this episode!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 06:07:08 PM »
Extra: ‘Amazing Race’ Canada Episode 7: Ryan and Rob: Lost in France
The two co-workers dream up a French TV show about them getting lost.

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=418993

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 10:03:50 AM »
Extra: ‘Amazing Race Canada’: Episode 8: Extended Mat Chats: Ryan and Rob
What you didn’t see on the show from the co-workers in Paris.

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=425423

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 09:47:08 PM »
Extra: ‘Amazing Race Canada’ Episode 9: Extended Mat Chat: Ryan and Rob
What you didn’t see from the co-workers on the mat in Montreal.

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=430697

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 11:10:05 PM »
I get it, the editors basically decided to wait until the sketching challenge to actually give Ryan and Rob a story
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 12:24:44 AM »
Ryan & Rob were on CTV Morning Live. They talked about this past episode and their speedbump for the next episode.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=431307&playlistId=1.1989130&binId=1.1184694&playlistPageNum=1

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »
Extra: ‘Amazing Race Canada’ Episode 10: Ryan and Rob Imitate the Other Teams
The co-workers discuss how the other teams would’ve handled the manure challenge.

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=435481

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 09:20:32 PM »
Omg that Natalie & Meaghan impression is so good. :funny:

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 10:29:57 AM »
Vancouver bartenders Ryan and Rob inch toward Amazing Race finale

It has been a hectic few weeks for Ryan Steele and Rob Goddard.
The co-workers are tying up loose ends before they head to Ottawa and Toronto for the live finale of the second season of the Amazing Race Canada.
The dynamic duo is representing Vancouver in the latest season of the wildly popular reality competition show – and so far, they’ve done the city proud.

Steele, and Goddard, both bartenders at local clubs, have clawed their way into semi-finals with three other teams. There's only one more episode to air on Tuesday before the big finale, in which one team will take home $250,000 and two Chevrolet pickup trucks.
“The last three weeks have been pretty crazy,” says Steele. “We’re still sucking, but it’s kind of fun because we’re usually the second-to-last team, so it’s really exciting. “
Steele is referencing the fact that the boys have been the last team to arrive at a pit stop twice – but as luck would have it – both times happened to be non-elimination legs.
As hockey Olympians Natalie and Meaghan team put it, the underdogs seem to have “a horseshoe…somewhere.”
But you have to admire their perseverance. As a penalty for finishing last, the bartenders had to complete speed bump challenges in addition to finishing the same tasks as all the other teams. In the last episode, they scraped by Montreal couple Alain and Audrey to once again finish in second-to-last place.
According to Goddard, the wait at the mat is even more nervewracking than it appears.
“When we get to the mat Jon just stays there and stares at you for a few minutes,” he says. “He does this stone cold look for a good solid minute and we’re like, ‘Okay we’re ready.’”
It has kept the race exciting for the legion of fans supporting Steele and Goddard.
They’ve hostied viewing parties of the Amazing Race every Tuesday at local pub The Junction, and they say the crowd has only become more raucous each week.
Last Tuesday, when the pair rounded the corner at the end of the episode, the cheers from their many supporters were deafening.
“Seeing how many people came out to watch that episode with us and then how crazy the bar went when we got to the mat,” Goddard says. “That was the best.”
“It was pretty amazing,” says Steele. “It reminds me of the hockey playoffs, to get that goal in OT. It’s a similar feeling. It feels great to be that team.”
Both Steele, 36, and Goddard, 25, say the secret to their success is that unlike some teams, they keep the bickering to a minimum – even if that doesn’t always make for great TV.
“We’ve also been, for TV, maybe a boring team because we don’t freak out, we don’t spaz,” Steele says.
Although – that might not always be the case.
“I’m a very calm person. Ryan can kind of stress out a little bit…but he can stay calm, too,” Goddard says.
“Rob, obviously, was made for this. I was not made for the Amazing Race. I’m the kind of guy who sits on the couch and drinks white wine and watches it,” Steele quips.
Despite their cool, calm and collected nature, the bartenders have been mixing it up in one of the more entertaining rivalries of the season against the only other British Columbia team in the race: Brother and sister duo Sukhi and Jinder Atwal.
Steele and Goddard say while there are no hard feelings now, the siblings definitely rubbed them the wrong way during the race. Especially after the sometimes-grating team U-turned the boys during the Paris leg, forcing them to complete a second roadblock.
“It was real on the show for me,” Goddard says. “I kind of just started to lose trust in Sukhi and Jinder and kind of started keeping my distance from them. They’re great people, but I just had mixed emotions about them.”
Steele felt the same, refusing to talk to the siblings in their first encounter after the U-turn incident. But he says he doesn’t blame them for using it.
“What they didn’t show you was when they U-turned us, we had a plan with Audrey and Alain that we were going to U-turn [Sukhi and Jinder],” he says.
Time will tell if the Vancouver duo can finally one-up their provincial arch-rivals and snag the grand prize.
The next episode of The Amazing Race Canada airs Tuesday, Sept. 16 at 9 p.m. PST on CTV Vancouver, and the two-hour finale and reunion airs Sept. 21.
Until then – the boys are enjoying their newfound popularity and plan on seeing where it takes them. For Goddard, the show has already opened doors for his modeling career.
Steele hopes the show will shine a spotlight on his comedy website, ryanandamyshow.com, which has steadily gained popularity in Vancouver and beyond.
A nationally televised show can do that for you.
“Me and Rob haven’t been hanging out a lot, but yesterday we went to the gym and walked around downtown for a good two hours,” he says. “Literally, 15 times we got recognized.”
“This last week has kicked into overdrive,” Goddard says. “Yesterday, myself and Ryan were getting stopped left, right and centre. It was a lot of fun.”
And watching them has been a lot of fun too.

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-bartenders-ryan-and-rob-inch-toward-amazing-race-finale-1.2006687#ixzz3DUcLk34j

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 10:36:36 AM »
Ryan reveals he has to do the RB (because of the 6-6 rule) in the above link. Ryan says he falls off while doing the rb (rock climbing)
Bake a cake, tension between RR and SJ on Epi 11

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »
These guys are like Amazing Race Canada's equivalent to the Beekman Boys :P

Offline TAR789

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 12:50:38 PM »
They seem like nice people, but they are boring. :(
I wish they could have been eliminated instead of Rex & Bob, Pierre & Michel or Alain & Audrey, considering that they've been placed these past five legs last on non-elimination legs and second to last on elimination legs...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »
Watch the new vids Leaf's put up in their thread. Their EDIT may have been boring to date, but THEY are not! :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »
I don't understand why they weren't edited to show their humour better. I think they concentrated on Rex and Bob, then Sukhi and Jinder. Shame, because they have had some good lines in the extended scenes.