Author Topic: TAR CANADA 2 Contestants - Jen King and Shawn King (Married)  (Read 6582 times)

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
Jen King and Shawn King (Married)

Jen King

Twitter: @2ndNatureNut

Current City: Halifax
Hometown: Oromocto, N.B.
Strengths: Independent, well-travelled, known teammate for majority of life
Fears/Phobias: None
Favourite Travel Destination: Kelowna, B.C.
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “He is a little obsessive.”

Shawn King

Twitter: @extremekinger

Occupation: Partner, President, and Chief Creative Officer of an Advertising Agency
Current City: Halifax
Hometown: Carbonear, N.L.
Strengths: Engaging, detail-oriented, known teammate for majority of life
Fears/Phobias: Snakes
Favourite Travel Destination: Italy or Germany
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “She gets ‘hangry’ (hungry and angry) and everything has to stop until she eats. It can be a pain sometimes.”

TEAM BIO

These charismatic East Coast sweethearts met when Shawn was in a band and Jen was dating a jock. Friends first, they have now been married for 15 years and work hard to maintain a strong bond and loving relationship. This edgy, tattooed couple claims they are fun while still dedicated to their careers and family. Neither is shy about pointing out the other’s mistakes but after more than 20 years, these two have a remarkable capacity to hash things out quickly, albeit sometimes loudly.

Both Jen and Shawn are concerned that their age might play a factor in the race. Although both are in great shape they worry about the physical challenges might trip them up. These two often finish each other sentences and agree that their relationship is their greatest asset. “Having a teammate who’s known me for more than half my life is a strength,” said Jen. “It’s how we work together,” agrees Shawn. “We know each other very well.”

As parents, they are focused on staying in touch with what is going on in their 17-year-old son’s life. They’re the “cool parents” that all the kids come to for advice, which helps them maintain a close relationship with their own teenager.

Jen and Shawn would like to prove to their family, and themselves, that they are up for 'The Amazing Race Canada' challenge and that not giving up is what life is all about. There’s a sense that both of them are ready to prove to the world that their “cool” factor hasn’t disappeared. Winning would also help them with their son’s impending college finances.

Motto: “Get ‘er done.”

Team they most associate with from Season 1: Jen: “Brett and Holly”. Adds Shawn, “Also Kristen and Darren because they are outdoorsy, adventurous and seemingly a little more carefree.”
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR CANADA 2 Contestants - Jen King and Shawn King (Married)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 01:47:40 PM »
Jen and Shawn want to prove to themselves (and their teenage son) they can win 'The Amazing Race Canada'

After being married for 15 years, high school sweethearts Jen and Shawn King are ready for their next adventure – running “The Amazing Race Canada.”

The couple from Halifax, N.S., say they’ve been everywhere from Italy to Iceland together and can’t wait to see what other great places are waiting to be discovered.

“We travel together a lot! We just came back from Germany in the fall for our 15th wedding anniversary. We went to Oktoberfest and celebrated there. We’ve been to Italy together and we were just in Iceland for my 40th birthday . . . we thought this would be a great experience to travel across Canada and see home,” says Jen.

The couple is also hoping to show their 17-year-old son Cohen they will not give up no matter what.

“There were so many times when we were getting ready to do our audition tape and I was like, ‘We have to show him we can do this,’” says Shawn, 41.

“When he first said, ‘You’re not going to make it’ we were like, ‘Well we’ll see, we’ll see.’ And now that (we’ve made it on the show), I’m hoping that’s what he gets from it – is that you’ve just got to try and you never know,” says Shawn.

“Maybe he’ll want to hang out with us after this,” adds Jen with a laugh.

Joking aside, Jen and Shawn consider themselves “cool parents” who are pretty easy going.

“We’re not that old I think to be parents of a teenager, which is kind of cool so I like to think we’re still somewhat relevant, you know? So he’s the beneficiary of that for sure,” says Shawn.

“But we learn a lot from him, too. He keeps us young,” adds Jen.

As well as their never-give-up attitude, Jen and Shawn say knowing each other so well – they’ve been friends since they were teenagers after all – is going to give them an edge on the “Race.”

“We’ve gotten to know what buttons not to push and what buttons to push. So, that’s probably going to be a good thing,” says Shawn.

“And I don’t think we want to let each other down. So I think we’ll fight for each other,” says Jen.

Source:http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/Articles/Season-Two/tarc_season_2_Jen_Shawn_Feature_prove_to_son.aspx

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:48:11 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/spi9W9pOvPU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/spi9W9pOvPU</a>

Credit: Youtube user: cisolatw

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »
"Not your average road trip"

article about the team which wont let me copy paste here  :groan:

Source:http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/1221069-not-your-average-road-trip

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »
"Not your average road trip"

article about the team which wont let me copy paste here  :groan:

Source:http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/1221069-not-your-average-road-trip

Jen and Shawn King aren’t the same people they used to be.

The married Hammonds Plains couple is one of the 11 teams competing on the second season of The Amazing Race Canada, that debuts Tuesday at 10 p.m. on CTV.

“Your perspective changes,” says Jen, during an interview outside Niche Lounge in Halifax where they will hold a viewing party Tuesday beginning at 8 p.m.

“Little things that used to be important aren’t anymore,” agrees Shawn.

Filming wrapped up earlier this year and the Kings can’t reveal if they won the race and $250,000 in cash, plus other prizes.

But the couple, who met as teenagers in high school in Oromocto, N.B., light up when talking about sharing the experience with each other.

“Some teams didn’t do it with their significant other, but I can’t imagine what it would be like,” says Shawn, 41.

“Your mental headspace when you are finished is different and it would be difficult for someone to understand why you’re so different. We’re lucky we did it together and can talk about it.”

The Kings, parents of 17-year-old son Cohen, who recently graduated from Charles P. Allen High School in Bedford, have been bursting with the news they were part of the hit reality show, which averaged 3.5 million viewers a week last season.

But they couldn’t tell anyone outside of a small group of insiders, like Shawn’s parents, who came to stay with Cohen during the filming, and their co-workers, who had to take up some slack while they were away. Jen manages the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, while Shawn is the president and chief creative officer of Extreme Group.

Keen travellers — they celebrated Jen’s 40th birthday in Iceland in February — they were huge fans of the American version of The Amazing Race, watching together and debating who would do each challenge.

So when they heard a call for contestants for the Canadian version, they rushed to send in their three-minute audition tape.

“We make home videos of all our trips, so we had lots of content and we also filmed us sitting on the couch talking about why we’d be good contestants,” says Shawn, noting they included footage of Italy, Paris, Germany and Zurich.

Three days later they got a call that they had advanced to the second round, and by the fourth round, when a producer came to Halifax to interview them, they decided to just have fun.

“We decided to be honest and as much ourselves as we could be and have fun,” says Shawn.

They were selected in February and left for their adventure in April.

The lure for Jen was travelling to parts of Canada people normally don’t see and the opportunity to experience the unique culture.

Shawn says it was the opportunity to travel and do “really, really adventurous things.”

“We like to travel spontaneously. Our favourite way to travel is unscripted.”

“When you get older, you don’t get to play. We had the opportunity to play with the best people in the country. We call them our superhero friends,”
says Jen, noting most of the teams are going to Toronto this summer for a reunion.

“There’s a bond there you can’t relate to unless you’ve done it,” adds Shawn.

The teams were super competitive, but what went on in the race stayed in the race, Jen notes.

“When the day was over, you shared experiences and stories, asked how (people did) a challenge, saw how other people played the game.”

And Shawn says it was harder than it looked.

“You get so wound up and I didn’t expect it to be that way. It’s surprising how much you are willing to do under that much adrenaline. It’s amazing. Under normal circumstances you would give up."

“The takeaway is if you push through, you can figure out how to do it.”

One of their fears heading into the competition was that their age would be a hindrance, but that didn’t prove to be the case.

The duo weren’t the oldest in the competition; that distinction went to dancer Rex Harrington, 51, and his fiance, dental consultant Bob Hope, 47, of Ashburn, Ont.

The Kings did earn the honour of being the competitors with the longest relationship. They met on Jan. 19, 1991, when a friend invited then-17-year-old Jen to see a show by 18-year-old Shawn’s band.

And while there were a few moments during the stressful competition when they fought, the competition actually brought the pair closer.

“We had common enemies. When we fought, we’d pull out of it pretty quick,” says Shawn.

They both dreamed about the Amazing Race after it was all over. “And when they announced the teams, I started dreaming about it again. It’s always on your mind,” says Shawn, who admits to a phobia of snakes.

They look at viewing the episodes as the final part of the adventure.

“Now is the best part. We’re so excited and so proud and we finally get to share,” says Jen, noting they haven’t seen anything yet.

WHO ARE THEY?

Jen and Shawn King, Hammonds Plains

Nova Scotia’s competitors on The Amazing Race Canada

Jen (@2ndNatureNut)

Occupation: manager, Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, Halifax
Favourite travel destination: Kelowna, B.C.
Pet peeve about teammate: He is a little obsessive.

Shawn (@extremekinger)

Occupation: president and chief creative officer, Extreme Group, Halifax
Favourite travel destination: Italy or Germany
Pet peeve about teammate: “She gets ‘hangry’ (hungry and angry) and everything has to stop until she eats. It can be a pain some time.

Parents of 17-year-old Cohen

Motto: Get ’er done

Season Two premiere: Tuesday at 10 p.m. on CTV

Hosted by: Jon Montgomery

Source: www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 03:27:05 PM »
Amazing Race Canada contestants Jen and Shawn King say leaving race after dislocated shoulder the right decision

On Tuesday, Jen and Shawn King were moving up the ranks on this week’s episode of The Amazing Race Canada, but had to drop out after Shawn dislocated his shoulder. Postmedia’s Ruth Myles catches up with the married couple from Halifax to talk about their “ah-mazing” adventure:

Q How’s the shoulder?
Shawn King It’s good. I mean it’s as good as it’s going to be until I get someone to make sure that it won’t happen again. (Does that mean surgery?) Yes. I’ve actually had it done before, about 10 or 11 years ago, but now it’s time for a more serious version of it.
Jen King This is probably the second wetsuit we’ve had to cut off of his body. It was his knee last time, with whitewater rafting. Shawn just said, “I think it is the water sports. Maybe we should just stay away from those ones.”

Q They had to sedate you to pop it back in?
SK Yes. Every time. I’ve tried so many times (to get it back in myself). There is such a small window where it doesn’t really hurt. It’s out and it’s numb and the pain hasn’t quite kicked in. During that time is when I was trying to push it back in (on the beach), but I don’t really know what I’m doing. (Laughs) I was just hell bent on trying to stay in the race. But once the pain kicked in, it was game over.

Q How did you decide to end your race?
SK While we were in the hospital room, we were running through every possible option. … I’ve been through this before, and figured that the next day I would be able to move the arm. … But it was a combination of things. We kind of ran out of time. And if we did keep going, what about the next day or the day after? It would inevitably catch up with me and it would not be good.

Q How did you handle being eliminated? You were moving up and seemed to have found your groove.
JK It’s so tough. We had some great advice from one of the producers of the show. She said, “Whatever decision you make is going to be the right decision for you.” We’ve had to process that and live through it. You just have to accept it and move on. We are so sad that we don’t get to play the game, that we don’t get to run the Race. That’s the most disheartening thing because it’s the adventure, seeing Canada, pushing yourself to see what you can do. That part is really sad, but we’ll be OK.

Q What did your son think of Mom and Dad tearing it up on The Amazing Race Canada?
JK He’s 17, so he just still kind of grunts at us. He’s watching it and he’s participating, but he doesn’t really express how he feels right now. Hopefully in a couple of years he’ll tell us what an impact it had on him. (Laughs) Hopefully, it’s positive. “Mom you damaged me for the rest of my life by going on The Amazing Race!“

Source:http://arts.nationalpost.com/2014/07/16/amazing-race-canada-contestants-jen-and-shawn-king-say-leaving-race-after-dislocated-shoulder-the-right-decision/

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 03:27:44 PM »
CP: Shawn, how's the shoulder feeling?
Shawn: It's pretty good actually. The recovery period to get back to normal is probably a couple weeks. It's always sore. It feels a little weak. So I just work on it. I know the routine.
------
CP: What was going through your mind on that beach?
Shawn: Well really, two things. The first thing was I really didn't want to disappoint Jen. I knew that this could be the end for us. So the first thought was: she's going to be disappointed. My second thought was, how do I get this back in so we're not done? Hence trying to push it back in.
------
CP: You seemed really supportive of one another in both episodes, even when struggling in the premiere. How did you feel about the way your relationship was portrayed?
Jen: We argued but they just didn't show it. There wasn't enough time for arguing. We weren't on the screen very long, so really it didn't have a lot of time to develop us as characters, but that's OK. We had our race and our experience with each other and we just completely enjoyed every aspect of it.
------
CP: Before the race, you told me your 17-year-old son was somewhat skeptical about your involvement. How does he feel now?
Jen: I don't really know what his thoughts are because he just kind of grunts at us still. Maybe in a couple years after he wants to talk about it and has processed it -- hopefully it's been a good experience (for him) but at this point we still really don't know.
Shawn: I think there's little clues that he's sort of impressed or proud of it. Usually it's him sharing tweets with his friends. He hasn't said a ton to us. But he's been with us through the experience. He's watching the show with us, he's hanging out with his friends with us. I get the sense that secretly he's feeling pretty good about the whole thing. I suppose we'll find out in a few years.

Read more: http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/halifax-couple-speaks-out-after-amazing-race-canada-elimination-1.1916186#ixzz37fJEw8NX

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 05:15:23 PM »
Sad to see them go especially since a team took a 6 hour penalty :(

If it wasn't for that injury, they'd be in absolutely no danger of being eliminated (6 hours is a long time). They actually moved up a little when it happened :(

That's the kicker.

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 05:53:39 PM »
It is really sad to see them go. Bummer of a painful injury.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 10:01:17 PM »
Eliminated ‘Amazing Race Canada’ competitors, Jen and Shawn, want another chance
Getting eliminated at any stage of The Amazing Race Canada has to suck. But having to withdraw from the competition (in its second season on CTV Tuesday nights) because of an injury was a huge letdown for husband-and-wife team Shawn and Jen King from Halifax.

Shawn dislocated his shoulder during the second challenge of the night when the teams headed to the Surf Shack in Tofino, B.C., and were forced to ‘ride a wave’ for at least three seconds.

The event proved to be a challenge for many teams in the Race, but for Shawn, it ended with him making a trip to the emergency room (he has since healed).

That was a tough way for their Amazing Race journey to end, the Kings admitted in a conference call Wednesday. “We’ll never know how far we could have gone,” Jen said.

It was particularly hard considering fellow competitors Rex Harrington and Bob Hope took two penalties during Tuesday night’s episode. The duo couldn’t surf and also failed at the next task – beach-chair assembling.

If the married couple had stayed on in the race they definitely would have been able to beat Rex and Bob, Shawn said.

Up to the point of his injury, “We were running a solid race and we felt strong,” he added.

“It was a hard decision (to withdraw),” Jen said.

The pair had previously auditioned for the U.S. version of the show and say if there is an Amazing Race All-Stars, or an international version of the competition, they will happily try out again.

“If we get a call in a few seasons, we’ll be ready,” Shawn said.

One of the reasons they were excited to be a part of the reality show was the opportunity to see the rest of Canada. So with them going out after only two episodes and a handful of destinations, WERE there any spots they wished were part of their Amazing Race journey?

“The Yukon,” Jen said. “It’s on my list.”

Source:http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/16/amazing-race-canada-competitors-jen-and-shawn-want-another-chance

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »
SHAWN KING’S AMAZING RACE IS OVER

It was tough for Shawn King to watch the second episode of the new season of The Amazing Race Canada on Tuesday night. That’s because even though he was surrounded by friends and family, it was the episode in which King, president and CCO of Halifax-based Extreme Group, and his wife, Jen, were eliminated from the fast-paced reality show.

An old shoulder injury reared its head as King was taking part in a surfing challenge in Tofino, B.C. for the show. He was subsequently taken to a local hospital to get checked out and forcing the couple into a tough decision.

“[Jen and I] debated every possible option,” King told Marketing the day after the episode aired on CTV. They weighed taking a penalty on the surfing challenge versus returning to the beach so Jen could complete the challenge of building a chair from driftwood.

But getting to the point where they could even make a decision about how to proceed took a long time, said King. He had been given sedatives in the hospital and it took him some time to come around, he said. “We had actually tried once to get up and go [back to the beach] and Jen had to hold me up, then I got sick and it was just a horrible scene,” said King. “So in the end, we pretty much had run out of time and we wouldn’t even have been able to make it back.”

Another consideration was the probability of King’s shoulder injury coming back later in the race. Once it dislocates, “it’s really weak, and it was inevitable that at some point it was going to catch up to me,” he said.

In the end, they decided they could not continue.

King originally injured his shoulder when he was about 19. He was weightlifting and recalls his shoulder “just popped out.”

The episode in which the injury came back was filmed in late April, but watching it on Tuesday night “sort of brought it all back.” At least King was in good company for the screening. In addition to his friends and family, he watched with some of the other teams from the show: married globetrotters Laura Takahashi and Jackie Skinner, entrepreneurial siblings Sukhi and Jinder Atwal, and occupational therapist Shahla Kara (who was eliminated, along with her teammate Nabeela Barday, in the first week’s episode).

King said he’ll watch the rest of the season. While he and Jen have a loose idea of how the race went for their competitors (and know which team won), he finds it interesting to see how the other teams ran the race. “When you’re in it, you don’t see that, you’re just so focused on your own race,” he said. “It’ll be fun to watch the experience and how it unfolded for everybody else — especially now that we know them and what they’re like.”

Any chance King would do the show again if given the opportunity? There was no hesitation before he answered, “Absolutely.”

Source:http://www.marketingmag.ca/advertising/shawn-kings-amazing-race-is-over-120013

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 10:04:38 PM »
Amazing Race Canada: Five questions with Jen & Shawn

Last night, we watched the teams sort or fillet fish, complete a surfing challenge and build a chair out of driftwood. The journey is over for the second eliminated team, Jen and Shawn King, a married couple from Halifax, who were forced to withdraw from the Race due to an injury. We snagged a few extra web-exclusive questions with Jen and Shawn when they stopped by The Social to dish about their experience on the most exciting race around.

Q: What did you miss the most about home?

Jen King: My son and my dogs.

Shawn King: I didn't miss the dogs but definitely my son. Also, the normalcy of having a routine.

Q: You weren't allowed to bring a lot of personal items (i.e. phone, music devices, books, etc...) with you while you were participating in the race. If you could have brought any item with you, what would it have been and why?

JK: I kept thinking that I could hear my phone on me. I didn't really miss anything. Once you disconnect, it's not that bad.

SK: I had the same habit with my phone, but after three or four days without it, it was kind of a relief.

Q: Next week, the contestants are going to Hong Kong, China. If you could have picked anywhere in the world to compete in this race, where would you want to go?

JK: For me, it's the Yukon.

SK: I'd say Australia.

JK: It's so hot! You'd want to run a race there?

SK: For me, one of the attractions of running this race is getting to go places that you don't know you're going to go. There's places in Canada I would have liked to have seen. Hearing that they were going to Hong Kong the day after they left was a bit of a stinger. I'd love to go there. So, for me, it's just anywhere that we wouldn't get to otherwise go and the further away, the better.

Q: If you could listen to one song to pump you up during the Race, what would it be?

JK: “The Walker” by Fitz And The Tantrums.

Q: Imagine that you were asked to compete in the Race again, but this time, you got to choose any celebrity to be your partner. Who would you choose?

JK: Demi Moore. She was G.I. Jane. C'mon!

SK: Oh, I'm just thinking of who I would want to meet.

JK: I'm thinking of winning!

SK: James Hetfield [singer of Metallica].

Source:http://www.thesocial.ca/culture/television/amazing-race-canada-five-questions-with-jen-and-sh

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 10:35:54 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pEmjIqZg1vY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pEmjIqZg1vY</a>

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 02:22:25 PM »
Amazing Race Canada season two: Exit interviews

The team consisting of Haligonians Jen and Shawn King was the second to be eliminated from the second season of The Amazing Race Canada Tuesday night. The long-time married couple had hoped to use their winnings to contribute to their 17-year-old son’s college tuition, but they were the last team to arrive at Tofino, BC’s crab dock pit stop due to an injury sustained by Shawn at the road block. The ad exec dislocated his shoulder while attempting to surf, necessitating a trip to Tofino General Hospital and his and Jen’s withdrawal from the race. MSN Canada caught up with Jen and Shawn to discuss their tragic but exciting time on the show.

Why did you two want to be part of The Amazing Race Canada?

Jen: Why not? We’re true Canadians. We wanted to see the rest of Canada, especially where it’s expensive to travel. So we thought why not have a great adventure together and see our own backyard and hopefully do some great challenges with each other and learn from each other?

What happened on that surfboard?

Shawn: I went to catch that wave and I was counting waves. And then as I started to paddle to try my first attempt at surfing, my right shoulder dislocated on the second paddle. And so I just fell off the board and knew that I had to get help pretty quick.

How hard was it for you to drop out of the race?

Shawn:(laughs) Well, obviously we didn’t come all this way to be done after two legs. And at first it was a weird moment where we thought, ‘Well, at least we didn’t lose a challenge, and that’s why we’re out.’

But, to be honest, it was harder because we’ll never know how far we could have gone. So it was a pretty tough decision, and it took a few days for it to wear off.

What was the initial cause of that shoulder injury?

Shawn: Way back when I was nineteen I was lifting weights, not knowing what I was doing, [and] it popped out. And it’s been on again, off again ever since.

You tried to pop it back in yourself. Do you have medical training?

Shawn:(laughs) No. I’m laughing because I could have done some pretty bad damage. No, I’ve never done it before, and, to be honest, I never wanted to do it so bad as that before. I just knew that I had a limited amount of time to get it back in. Because you don’t feel it initially. It pops out, you’ve got two or three minutes where it’s just numb and there’s not a lot of pain and your muscles haven’t seized up yet. But once that kicks in, it’s game over. I was just really, really trying to put it back in, and it didn’t work.

How is the shoulder now?

Shawn: It’s good. I’ve dealt with this problem for a while. I think it’s back to strength. It’s feeling fine. It needs to be repaired, for sure, so I’ll probably get that done to make sure it never happens again.

How did your son feel about the situation?

Jen: Well, he’s seventeen so he doesn’t really tell us much about his feelings at this point. (laughs)

But he is participating. We involve him in every step. We had a viewing party in Halifax for the first episode; he was there. And we had a viewing party last night here in Toronto, and he was there with us and our friends and the other teams. So I know he’s learning from it and he’s garnering experience from it. He’s not very vocal about it yet. I’m hoping in a few years he’ll be willing to express…

Shawn: …Willing to share. (laughs)

What did he think of you applying for the race?

Jen: We told him we had applied and he said, ‘You’re not going to make it.’ And then we did make it, and he said, ‘Go win.’

Shawn: ‘You better win!’

How did it feel to take time for yourself after spending years raising your child and to do something like The Amazing Race Canada?

Jen: You know, as a couple, we run our own businesses, we run our household, and we raise or child. And a lot of that is business-like conduct between the two of us, and you don’t really have time to come back to the relationship.

So Amazing Race Canada was a great adventure for us as a pair but also a great time to reconnect with each other because we had a lot of alone time and time to really talk some things through. So it was actually a great experience in that respect.

Would you recommend the Amazing Race Canada to other people? If so then why?

Shawn: I would say definitely. It depends on your personality of course; it’s not something everyone would be into.

But why? We felt so lucky to be able to not know what was coming next, to be able to travel the country, to do things you talk about doing. It’s an amazing, amazing experience. And if you can do it, if you’ve got the personality and the type of relationship to be with someone that you can do it with, I would say why not?

We sat on the couch and talked about it for years. We actually applied for the US one at one point. The only way to get on is to audition. And we auditioned knowing that the odds of getting on were pretty slim, and here we are.

Jen: It’s more about the race, though. It’s not [so much] about the challenges as it’s about the people that you meet, the Canadians that you connect with. The racers, yes, but also the Canadians you meet in different towns. [It’s] about letting go of fears about control, not knowing what you’re doing when you wake up the next day. It’s so much more than the challenge.

Source:http://entertainment.ca.msn.com/tv/amazing-race-canada-season-two-exit-interviews-1

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 02:10:41 PM »
Audition video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OUcsey-Z9cU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OUcsey-Z9cU</a>