Author Topic: TAR CANADA 2 Contestants - Cormac Foster and Nicole Foster (Son and Mother)  (Read 13141 times)

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
Cormac Foster and Nicole Foster (Son and Mother)

Cormac Foster 

Twitter: @Cormact7

Current City: Winnipeg
Hometown: Winnipeg
Strengths: Problem-solving, physically fit, competitive
Fears/Phobias: Drowning
Favourite Travel Destination: Costa Rica
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “My mom gets very anxious in certain situations, instead of staying calm.”

Nicole Foster

Twitter: @FosterNiki911

Current City: Winnipeg
Hometown: West Indies, Barbados
Strengths: Competitive, organized, good driver
Fears/Phobias: Heights
Favourite Travel Destination: St. Croix
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “He procrastinates all the time and is always late.”

TEAM BIO

Cormac and Nicole are a vibrant mother and son team who hope to follow in the footsteps of fellow Winnipeggers Tim Hague and Tim Hague, Jr. – Season 1 champions. Nicole was 19-years-old when she became pregnant with Cormac and made the difficult decision to put her studies on hold and dedicate her time to raising her son. Being the strong and determined woman that she is, Nicole was able to complete her schooling and graduate while raising a young child. She claims her son’s intelligence comes from reading university textbooks to get him to sleep at night.

In his own right, Cormac is quite the academic, always focused on his schoolwork and student activities, like being editor of the yearbook. During his free time, Cormac enjoys a game of hockey, football, or ultimate frisbee.

The mother and son duo often get mistaken for brother and sister, which drives Cormac crazy. Although they often bicker, these two are as close as can be. They do almost everything together, especially keeping fit and working out. Make no mistake though, mother knows best and is always in charge in the Foster household.

Cormac would love to win 'The Amazing Race Canada' in order to give his mother back all the things she put aside in order to raise him. Nicole, on the other hand, wants to put the winnings toward her son’s education.

Motto: "No matter what, we finish what we start! We will run to the mat every time!"

Team they most associate with from Season 1: Jody and Cory. “I love how they motivated and helped each other no matter what,” said Cormac.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Cormac is all grown up but mom Nicole says she's still in charge on 'The Amazing Race Canada'

Nicole Foster may have been in charge while son Cormac was growing up but now that he’s grown up and they’re about to embark on “The Amazing Race Canada” together will the power dynamic be any different?

“Well I am ‘Mom,’” says Nicole with a laugh, “So, I am going to have to release a little bit of that control. We’ll see how that works.”

“I think we’ll get along great but you know, there may be moments of intensity.”

But Cormac, who is now 19, says he’s not worried. “Not really… it’s going to be intense. But it’ll be good.”

The mother and son team from Winnipeg, are really looking forward to having this adventure together,
especially because they’re such huge fans of “The Amazing Race.”

“When he was younger, we used to watch (the U.S. version) and play ‘Amazing Race’ in the house,” says Nicole.

“I made up my own little clues (with Detours) and Fast Forwards and everything,” says Cormac.

The pair says they’ve always spent a lot of time together and are very close.

“We kind of grew up together. He’s actually the same age now as I was when I found out I was pregnant with him,” says Nicole, who was 19 and single at the time.

“It was definitely a shock, it was hard. I was in my second year of university and it was like, ‘Whoa, this is a life changer.’ But it’s been a total blessing… He’s been the joy of my life.”

Although she had to put her studies on hold she eventually went back and found a way to juggle school and raise a young son.

“It was super hard. I took one year off and then basically went right back to school. I only finished a semester behind where I would have been . . . I was just determined,” says Nicole.

“He never slept (through the night) for the first five years of his life but what I used to do was I used to read my textbooks to him . . . I swear that knowledge transfer took place. Because, he’s incredibly intelligent.”

Cormac, who just finished his second year of bio engineering at the University of Manitoba, says he’s grateful for everything his mom sacrificed for him and says that running the “Race” together means so much because of that.

“It’s amazing to know that she actually went through all of that because of me. So, yes it’s very special,” says Cormac.

Cormac and Nicole, who often get mistaken for being brother and sister, are hoping other teams will underestimate them when they find out they are mother and son.

“Once they know it’s mom and son it might be like, ‘Oh it’s his mom.’ That’s our hope. So that we can maybe sneak in there as kind of an underdog,” says Nicole.

“But we’re both just very determined. We have a no-quit spirit. It doesn’t matter, we finish what we start.”

“We’ll never give up,” says Cormac.

Source:http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/Articles/Season-Two/tarc_season_2_cormac_nicole_feature_mom_in_charge.aspx

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/B96ne654WZM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/B96ne654WZM</a>

Credit: Youtube user: cisolatw

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Just realized he is only 19....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
He's the youngest contestant outside of the Family Edition!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
He complains that she needs to calm down, she says he procrastinates. That sounds like every mother/son...ever. :funny:

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook

Nope, he isn't. Adele (TARI 2), Jacob (TAR Ukraine) and Romi (TARI 3) were all 18 and they both the youngest contestants outside of FE.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster

Nope, he isn't. Adele (TARI 2), Jacob (TAR Ukraine) and Romi (TARI 3) were all 18 and they both the youngest contestants outside of FE.
Oh awk. Thanks for correcting me.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
My favorite team! <3 I hope they go far! :hrt:

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
They lucked out. Their taxi driver in Hong Kong was just there working temporarily and is originally from Scarborough! lol.

Extended mat chat: http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=404453&tag=355

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Amazingly dedicated
Winnipeg mother-and-son team has been rehearsing Race role for a lifetime

There's no guarantee, of course, that they'll win it, but there was never a moment's doubt that they'd be in it.
For Winnipeggers Nicole and Cormac Foster, being chosen as one of the 11 teams in The Amazing Race Canada was simply a matter of time.
Amazing Race Canada contestants Nicole and Cormac Foster
Enlarge Image
"There was no doubt at all," says Nicole, 39, of her determination to take part in the Canuck version of the reality/competition show that has been her son's obsession since age seven. "I told him, 'We will be a team on The Amazing Race if it ever comes to Canada.' And once it was announced that it was coming here, we knew we were going to get on, whether it was the first season, the second season, or whatever."
As it turned out, the show's first season -- which was won last year by Winnipeggers Tim Hague Sr. and Tim Hague Jr. -- was a non-starter for the mother/son pair from East Kildonan. Eligibility guidelines limited auditions to those aged 19 and older, and Cormac was only 18 when The Amazing Race Canada debuted.
When a second season was confirmed for this year, however, the Fosters were not to be denied. They submitted an audition tape that featured Cormac doing bench-press repetitions while a very insistent woman -- later revealed to be his mom and prospective Race partner -- shouted encouragement.
"We wanted to show the excitement and energy we have," explains Cormac, "so it shows us working out; I'm bench-pressing, and she's really pushing me -- she's yelling at me, and I'm benching and dying and she's yelling and screaming.
Adds Nicole, "At that point, nobody knows what our relationship is until he's finished doing the number of bench presses I tell him to do. Then he gets up and I say, 'Now we're ready to go,' and he says, 'All right, Mom!'
"I believe it was when he says 'Mom!' that really caught their attention -- like, 'Oh, my goodness, this is a mother-son team!' -- because we've always been told that we don't really look like mother and son. We believe it made them think that that would make us a good team for a show like this."
Being picked for The Amazing Race Canada was the realization of a lifelong dream for Cormac, 19, who is entering his third year of biosystems engineering studies at the University of Manitoba.
A self-described super-fan of the American version of The Amazing Race since he was in grade school, Cormac used to create his own versions of Detour, Roadblock and Fast Forward cards so that he and his friends could stage mini-versions of the Race in and around their East Kildonan home.
"Obsessed is a good word to describe it," Nicole, director of resident services at a local nursing home, says with a laugh.
"I've been a crazy fan for as long as I can remember," says Cormac. "Honestly, we would watch it and say, 'OK, what would we do if we got that Roadblock or that Detour?' And I actually still have the clue cards I made back when we would play Amazing Race around the house.
"We've always dreamed of an opportunity to be on this show; we've always wanted to take a trip together and go on this wild adventure. And now it's happened."
Because of strictly enforced confidentiality agreements that all contestants must sign, the mother-son tandem is prevented from discussing any details of the second Canadian Race, which was filmed earlier this year. But both are quick to declare that no matter how well you know the show or how well you think you've prepared to compete, there's much more to The Amazing Race than can be understood from the comfort of anyone's living room.
"Being fans of the show, we've always sat and said, 'Oh, we could do that challenge,'" says Cormac. "Never again will we say that. The show is way more physically intense than you'd ever expect."
Nicole elaborates: "One of the things you don't get to see as a viewer sitting at home is all the other elements at play -- whether it's raining or windy, or you're dealing with a lack of sleep, or you're hungry, or you have to go to the bathroom -- but when you're in it, all those things are in play, and all those variables affect how you race. It's quite different being in it than it is watching it at home, I can tell you that."
Which does not, in any way, mean The Amazing Race Canada's latest Winnipeg team has any regrets about the experience.
"It's also definitely way better than I had ever dreamed it would be," says Cormac. "One thing I would definitely say, which I don't think most Canadians realize, is that Canada is so beautiful. We've always been proud Canadians, but this was an amazing experience."
Agrees Nicole, "It was probably the best experience of my life -- beyond all my expectations... Being able to do this with my son -- doing it together -- was unbelievable. We've always been close, but this really reinforced how close we really are, and it taught me a lot about who he is. I'm really proud."

Source:http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/entertainment/TV/amazingly-dedicated-265791101.html

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Winnipeg mother-son team eliminated on The Amazing Race Canada

It was a sad case of Ready ... Aim ... Oops! for the mother/son team of Nicole and Cormac Foster in this week’s installment of The Amazing Race Canada, as the Winnipeg duo’s misfire in a "Yukon biathlon" challenge led to their elimination from the race.
After surviving the CTV show’s first-ever international foray, to China, the Fosters and other remaining teams made the 12,000-kilometre flight from Macau to Whitehorse, only to be met by an exhausting Road Block challenge that involved mountain biking and target shooting. Nicole took on the task, only to miss the five rifle-range target repeatedly as other competitors knocked them down and moved on to the Yukon leg’s canoe-paddle race to the finish.
In all, it took Nicole 22 attempts — each followed by a grueling bike loop — to finish the shooting challenge, long after it was apparent that they’d lost this crucial leg of the race.
"I’ve always taught Cormac never to give up," a tearful Nicole said during the episode. "And I could not give up now."
The timing of the Fosters’ elimination was particularly unfortunate, as The Amazing Race Canada’s next episode brings the remaining teams to Winnipeg.

Source:http://www.brandonsun.com/breaking-news/Ready-aim-oops-Winnipeg-mother-d-270148731.html

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Extra: ‘Amazing Race Canada’ Episode 5: Mat Chats: Cormac and Nicole
What you didn’t see on the show from the mother and son team.

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/video.aspx?vid=411655

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Such a sad moment </3

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I was so sad when they lost :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
I was so sad when they lost :'( :'( :'( :'(
me too  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
So gut-wrenching when they arrived at the pitstop knowing their fate :(

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Ruth Myles: Eliminated team Nicole and Cormac even closer after time on Amazing Race Canada

A nation reached for its tissue box as mother-and-son team Nicole and Cormac Foster were eliminated from The Amazing Race Canada on Tuesday’s episode. I caught up with the pair Wednesday morning to chat about their time on the reality series.

Question: How is it watching the show?

Cormac: It’s actually so exciting. Being a super fan of the show, I wouldn’t want to ruin the show for anyone else. It’s so cool seeing my family and friends’ candid reaction to what we had to do on the Race.

Q: What did you learn about yourself or your mom from your time on the Race?

Cormac: I definitely learned, especially from the last leg in the Yukon, how resilient and how great a preserving spirit she has. We always said, ‘Never quit. We will run to the mat every time.’ And she proved that. (You’re making me cry, Cormac!) Oh yeah, we’ve cried a lot. A lot of tears have been shed.

Q: People can relate to different aspects of your relationship. As a mom, I really related when you told Cormac to take your hand in Hong Kong.

Nicole: ‘Take my hand, Cormac, take my hand!’ The streets are so busy. We were at an intersection where five streets. I was just, ‘Cormac give me your hand. We are crossing the street together.’ It was such a mom moment.

Q: But at the same time, you talked on last night’s episode on how you’ve come to see your son in a new light because of your time together on the Race.

Nicole: We’ve always been really close. Being on the Race, though, allowed me to see so many strengths of his that I don’t know if I would have seen if we weren’t on the Race together. He’s obviously strong; I knew that, but just his emotional and mental strength, his amazing encouraging spirit. Going around that biathlon track as many times as I did, there was no discouragement, all he kept saying was, ‘Mom, you can do it. I believe in you. Mom, you are going to do it.’ I thought, ‘Wow, I am beating myself up and he is just so encouraging.’

He didn’t have one doubt that I was going to get it done. I am so proud of him. When we were canoeing and knew we were last at this point, we knew we were going to be out, I am crying in the boat and he said, ‘Mom, look around: we are canoeing in the Yukon!’ In that moment, I thought, ‘Wow, look at the perspective he has for such a young age.’ It just made me really proud. (Nicole, now you’re making me cry!) I know, right? All day.

Nicole: It’s quite emotional, but I know from this experience, he is going to be great in life. I always thought that, but I got to see it in action. I realized, I actually like him. As a parent, of course you love your kids, but found out that I like him as person, too, just to hang around with. That was huge too. I said that to someone the other day, and they said, ‘Gee, I’ve never thought if I like my kids or not.’ Do some adventures with them!

Question: What were some of your favourite moments?

Cormac: For me it was definitely the bungee jumping in Macau. That bungee jump, the world’s highest commercial bungee jump — that was awesome. It’s probably one of the most exhilarating experiences I’ve ever had. That is 61 stories high, I believe, and I was terrified, but I knew I had to do it. It’s part of the Race, so it is a no-brainer. You go ahead and do it.

Nicole: The fact that I got through eating a snake. I was really proud of myself for doing that. And, of course, jumping out of that airplane. I’ve always wanted to skydive, but never thought I’d actually do it. . . . I am terrified of heights, so that was huge.

Q: How was your experience different than you thought it would be?

Cormac: I have dreamed about going on the race for years, since the show first started 13 years ago. It surpassed my expectation. It was just beyond all the dreams I had of the show. It was the best experience of the show.

Nicole: When you are at home watching the show on your couch, your nice comfortable couch, and you’re saying, ‘Oh, we wouldn’t do that!’ or ‘Why are they doing that?’ No. When you are on the Race and you are dealing with all the additional elements, the weather, bugs, you are not seeing that when you are watching the show, but there are all these elements that come into play, the adrenaline is going, you are rushing, your lack of sleep, it all comes together and it changes the whole dynamic of the Race. So never again will I sit on my couch and say, ‘Oh, I could do that.’ No. You don’t know what they’re all dealing with. We are just so blessed to have been part of this amazing, amazing show. We’d do it again in a heartbeat, even if they said the outcome would be the same. It was so much fun.

Q: Are you different because of your time on the show?
Cormac: I think I have a greater appreciation and respect for so many different professions because of the Race. So many different people in that line of work that I respect even more now because of what they do. And it’s definitely inspiring. It inspires you to get out and do something great with your life, to experience, to have adventures, to get out and explore.

Q: How challenging was it in China?

Cormac: It was tough. It was definitely a whole other level. I actually got a whole bunch of spider bites on my feet, so running those legs in Hong Kong and Macau was (tough). We had them taped up with electrical tape and they were sore. And there were all these elements, the amount of people, throngs of people, on the streets when you’re running through China. It was definitely different. It was hot, which you could see in that Macau episode. All of us were just wet with sweat. It was gross. But it was exciting.

Q: Hold up: spider bites on your feet?

Cormac: It was when we went up to the Tian Tan Buddha in Hong Kong. We were up there and I don’t know, that just happened. It happened overnight when we were sleeping waiting to go up at 8 a.m. to go up to the Buddha and be blessed by monks.

Q: What advice would you give to someone considering applying to be on the Race?

Cormac: Don’t doubt. Anyone can get on the show; you just need to have a story. Come with a story on the relationship between you and your partner and you can do it. Watch and study the show. You can get a lot of tips that can help you.

Q: How did you prepare?

Cormac: We have watched the show since I was seven, so we have 13 years of watching the show. We are avid studiers. We knew exactly what to pack. We knew how we would make decisions. We’ve watched it: ‘Oh, what Detour would we do?’ ‘Who would do this Road Block?’ So our decisions were always in synch.

Q: There was a wave of support on social media for you Tuesday night. How did that make you feel?

Cormac: The social media, it’s been wild. I honestly didn’t expect it to be that huge. The support has been awesome from all of Canada, but especially Winnipeg where we’re from.

Nicole: I was really surprised. I didn’t expect any of this from the very beginning. It’s just been such a blessing. I am just so surprised that so many people really latched on to us as a team. It has helped get us through it a lot better, I can tell you that.

Q: How tough was it to be eliminated just before the Race went to Winnipeg?

Cormac: Oh, that was tough. We were hoping we would get to race in our hometown in Winnipeg, and to know that the next leg, the next episode, was in Winnipeg? That was tough.

Nicole: Oh, I know! We were so looking forward to hopefully getting to Winnipeg. Just to be in the hometown and possibly having an advantage, it’s bittersweet for sure. We are glad the show went to Winnipeg; we just wish we had been part of it.

Q: How are people reacting when you’re out and about?

Nicole: Everywhere we go, it’s ‘Hi Nicole!’ and I’m ‘How do you know my name? Oh, you must watch the Race!’ Tons of people want pictures with us. There’s no such thing as autographs anymore. Everyone has their phone and wants pictures with you. We have gotten so much support from Winnipeg, and elsewhere, too. We were in the Toronto airport last night and people wanted to take pictures with us. One of the coolest experiences was one of our (Canadian) military gentleman stopped us and said, ‘Keep going. We love you guys.’ I was just in awe of that. And he said, ‘You are our heroes.’ And I as, ‘No, no, you are our heroes.’ That was a very touching moment.

Q: Can you take us through that biathlon challenge? It looked so tough, but you kept going.

Nicole: I have always taught Cormac to never give up. I’ve taught him to finish what he starts. I realized in that episode that this is my opportunity to live that out. You can say a lot of things, but this was the opportunity to really show him what that message means. We planned not to take a penalty. I was thinking I have to finish. At one point, I said to Cormac, ‘What happens if it gets dark and we’re still here?’ And he said, ‘They’ll turn on the lights.’ We were not going to quit. I knew I just had to keep going. I knew it would take us however long we were there and we’d finish.

Q: And you have another child?

Nicole: Yes, I have a four-year-old as well. He’s such a fan of the show. It’s a family event in our show. He also just loves the show. I didn’t get to watch it with him last night, but apparently he was crying when we got off. He was inconsolable. I want Mommy and Cormac on the show. When I see him I will give him a big hug and tell him, ‘Never give up. That was the message: never give up.’ He keeps telling me, ‘I want to run with you mommy when I am 19.” I am doing the math and saying, ‘Mmm, I don’t know, maybe with your brother.’

Source:http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2014/08/06/ruth-myles-eliminated-team-nicole-and-cormac-even-closer-after-time-on-amazing-race-canada/

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
The Amazing Race Canada: Five questions with Nicole and Cormac

Nicole and Cormac Foster ended their journey on The Amazing Race Canada last night, after struggling through a gruelling biathlon Roadblock. The mother-son duo were the fourth team eliminated from the competition, just one leg before the race heads to their hometown of Winnipeg.

We snagged a few web-exclusive questions with them when they stopped by The Social headquarters. Here's what they had to say about that challenging Roadblock, what they learned about each other and their theme song for their unforgettable journey.

Q. It's clear you guys share a special bond. Is there anything new that you learned about one another through this experience?

Nicole: I've always known how strong Cormac is physically. But I did not know how much mental and emotional strength he had. I saw that unfold during the race, especially on the last leg. But even before that, just seeing how encouraging he is and how supportive he can be. Being a mom, I've always taken that role. So to be able to see him in that role made me think, 'Wow, he has become quite a young man and no longer my little boy.'

Cormac: We have our mantra which is basically to never quit. Now, you can say that as much as you want, but when you're actually in the moment it's a whole different thing – and my mom truly showed that she does not quit. She was at that biathlon on her 22nd try going around that track. Uphill. A kilometre each. Other teams were struggling with two attempts around, so I can only imagine the exhaustion she was going through mentally, physically and emotionally. That was just amazing to see her perseverance.

Q. Let's talk more about the biathlon Roadblock. If you could go back and do it over, would you have switched places?

C: When we ripped the clue it asked us who had a steady hand. Now, we should have just answered the question that was in the clue, but for some reason we didn't.

N: At home (we always say) Cormac should be a surgeon because his hands are so steady. So if we had just answered the question...

C: I have a super steady hand. I remember asking her, 'Can you shoot?, Can you shoot?' I don't know why we hesitated.

N: And we don't know what the outcome would have been, even if he had done it. Would we have done it differently if we could? Maybe. But in the moment, we might have done the same thing.

Q. Next week, the competition heads to Winnipeg, your hometown. If you could have picked anywhere in Canada or in the world to compete, where would it be?

N: Australia. Once we went to Hong Kong, we thought, 'Wow, this has opened up the world.'

C: I was hoping for Australia or Africa next, but things got cut short.

Q. What did you miss the most about home?

C: I was away from my family, my girlfriend and friends, but I was in this bubble of the race.  When we first left, it was sad thinking that we're going to be away from everyone for a long time. But when we were in the race, I was so focussed and every minute was a minute full of excitement for me. Once it was finished, that's when I missed home a lot.

N: I have a four-year-old and my husband at home as well, so I definitely missed them. There were moments in the race when I know I was losing focus. For example, that dance in Macau. Dance is never a problem for me, and when Cormac and I were talking at the dance, I realized my mind was on my four-year-old and what's going on at home.

Q. If you could choose a theme song for this whole journey, what would it be?

C: I think “Eye of the Tiger.”

N (to C): Really?! That's what I was thinking too.

C: I think that really represents us.

N: Yeah, just the whole survival thing.

C: We will fight and fight, and this is our dream.

N: Even if we're the last ones standing, we're going to fight to the end. That song actually represents us really well.

Source:http://www.thesocial.ca/culture/television/the-amazing-race-canada-five-questions-with-nicole

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

BTS at the pitstop. Source:https://twitter.com/mlysakow

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Ousted 'Amazing Race Canada' mother-son duo: 'We were built for this show'

Tuesday’s eliminated Amazing Race Canada contestants Nicole and Cormac Foster had a split-second moment to decide who would do that night’s biathlon test. Nicole quickly jumped at the chance to compete in the Roadblock challenge, and it proved to be the frontrunners’ undoing.

In a picturesque Yukon-setting, the Winnipeg mother had to ride a mountain bike around a kilometre-long trail before picking up a rifle to shoot at a set of five circular targets. The team seemed in pretty good shape coming off successful challenges in Hong Kong the weeks before and building a campsite earlier in the episode.

But Nicole completely cracked under the pressure, with her son Cormac watching haplessly as other teams passed them by en route to the next round.

“We were built for this show,” Nicole says in a phone interview the following day. “We were doing well and one decision cut that... We never thought we’d hear (host) Jon (Montgomery) say, ‘You’ve been eliminated.’”

After deciding that Nicole would be the one to complete the biathlon, the mother-and-son team don’t wonder what could have been if Cormac had done the challenge himself.

“We have no idea what would have happened... but it changed the game for us,” Nicole says. Still, she added, it allowed her to display her never-quit spirit for her son – and the rest of Canada. “Finish what you start... run to the mat every time.”

On the episode, viewers watched as Nicole repeatedly tried – and failed 21 times – to complete the test, missing the targets in heartbreaking fashion.

The pair were there for almost four hours after the last Amazing Race duo had completed the challenge.

“I said to Cormac, ‘What happens if it gets dark?’” Nicole recalls. “He said they’d turn on the lights... (The crew) let us run our race.”

The reality show has been popular in their household for 13 years and became something that they dreamed about appearing on.

“We always said if the show came to Canada, we’d be on it,” Cormac says. And if there’s an Amazing Race All-Stars, they’ll jump at the chance to be on that too.

“If they called us tonight, I’d go tomorrow,” Cormac adds.

Although it seems there are other competitors (Sukhi and Jinder and Rex and Bob come to mind) who were weaker, Nicole says all the teams have their strengths.

“Bob and Rex play the game with their minds, you saw that in Hong Kong,” Cormac adds, describing one of the series’ weak links. “But they have world experience and knowledge.”

Source:http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/06/ousted-amazing-race-canada-mother-son-duo-we-were-built-for-this-show

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
“We always said if the show came to Canada, we’d be on it,” Cormac says. And if there’s an Amazing Race All-Stars, they’ll jump at the chance to be on that too.

“If they called us tonight, I’d go tomorrow,” Cormac adds.
Are you reading this, producers?

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Amazing Race Canada season two: Exit interviews

The team consisting of Winnipeggers Cormac and Nicole Foster was the fourth to be eliminated from the fifth leg of The Amazing Race Canada’s second season Tuesday night after a non-elimination week. All remaining teams started off on a level playing field after flying 12,000km from Macau to The Yukon on the same flight, and the mother and son pair did well at the Detour, where they had to build a campsite down to the last detail. But it was at the Roadblock that they stumbled, with mother Nicole needing 22 attempts to shoot out five targets 50m away. Each failed attempt meant rounding a tough one-kilometre course on mountain bike, leaving Nicole still determined but exhausted by the time she was able to complete the task. MSN Canada caught up with Cormac and Nicole to discuss their time on the show.

Cormac, how did you feel about Mickey and Pete hitting on your mom at the Detour?

Cormac Foster: Oh, that was hilarious. That was happening all throughout the race. That’s just the first time that you see it, and I had to fend off those guys quite a few times. It was pretty fun, though. They’re pretty good guys.

Nicole Foster: It was kind of cool watching Cormac protecting his mom.

Nicole, how did you feel going into the Roadblock?

NF: I believe I can do anything, and so I believed I’d be able to get those targets. The biking was no problem, right? I had no idea the targets would be so difficult to get.

CF: And, see, I’m the one with the steady hand…

NF: The joke in our house is that he should be a surgeon, he has such steady hands. And if we’d just read the question…

CF: The question read ‘Who has steady hands?’ For some reason – I can’t tell you why – we didn’t answer the question.

Nicole, how long were you at that Roadblock?

NF: You know, Cormac is the best one to answer that because I had no concept of time.

CF: I was left standing there looking at my watch frequently. We were there two hours with the other teams, and then Mickey and Pete left and we were there for almost four hours after they left.

NF: All I know is the camera on my bike stopped filming, and I knew at that point that I had been there for a very long time. I outlasted the camera.

Where does that sense of never giving up come from?

NF: You know, I was raised by a single mom myself, and she demonstrated to me a never-quit experience and was a very strong, independent woman, and I have that as well. My whole life I have said ‘you can do anything, don’t give up,’ and I’ve tried to instill that in Cormac.

But the biathlon challenge truly gave me an opportunity to demonstrate it. So as a parent you can say lots of things, but to be able to show him that I was not going to quit, I thought, ‘This is your opportunity. Your actions speak way louder than your words.’ And we weren’t going to take a penalty. We didn’t come to the race to take a penalty, and we were going to finish what we started.

#NevergiveupNicole was trending on Twitter last night. What do you think about that?

CF: It’s amazing to see how much we – and especially my mom – have inspired Canada. The support that we have from the Canadian fans…

NF: Yeah, I didn’t expect that at all. I didn’t expect this outpouring from all of Canada and actually the world. We got a message from Indonesia just now.

I thought, ‘Oh, he’s doing this with his mom. It’s cute, right?’ But I’m so proud to be Canadian; proud of Canadians for all the support they’ve given us. We want to be an inspiration to people, and whatever we can do to spread some positivity and promote family and communication and positive relationships, we’re all for it.

So what is next for you two? How has the Amazing Race Canada affected your lives ongoing?

NF: Life is not going to be the same at all. We’re looking for the next adventure. I’m definitely looking to pursue some passions that I have, whether it be in media or television. I’ve always wanted to pursue that but have never been able to.

CF: Working in tourism in Canada, anything like that.

NF: Anything that we can do to travel. And television, we want to get into. Really just being an inspiration, a motivation to people around their relationships and their families. I don’t want to go back to the norm. We’re trying to find the next thing to do because we want to keep that going. We realize life is much too short to just be okay with life. We want to really have fun in life and explore the world and do that together.

Source:http://entertainment.ca.msn.com/tv/amazing-race-canada-season-two-exit-interviews-2

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
MORE FROM THE MAT: EPISODE 5 OF ‘THE AMAZING RACE CANADA’

Caution: Spoilers Ahead!

Being on “The Amazing Race Canada” was a dream come true for mother and son team Cormac and Nicole Foster, but that dream came to a heartbreaking end in the Yukon after Nicole took several hours to complete a grueling biathlon challenge.

But the self-described “mama bear” from Winnipeg, Man., who was 19 years old when she became pregnant with Cormac and raised him as a single mom, knew she had to keep going for her son.

“I’ve always taught him not to give up on anything but me going around that track as many times as I did, I just kept thinking, ‘Listen, you’re his example and you’re the example to anyone watching – you just don’t give up,’” says Nicole.

“This is heartbreaking for me because I really felt like I was letting Cormac down because all we had talked about is, ‘We are winning this race.’”

But 19-year-old Cormac, an engineering student at the University of Manitoba, says that wasn’t the case.

“She didn’t let me down at all. The fact that she actually finished the challenge was amazing.”

Even though they knew what the outcome would be once they arrived at the Pit Stop, Nicole admits it was still a shock to hear host Jon Montgomery tell them they had been eliminated. 

“It was like a shot in the heart,” says Nicole. “In that moment I felt personally like I killed our dream.”

“I knew we were out,” adds Cormac. “But there was always this speck of hope, like maybe something could’ve happened. But when he said those words it was just like the dagger that finished it.” 

Cormac says in hindsight he should’ve done the Roadblock challenge.

“I suspected that it might be biathlon (after reading the clue) yet for some reason I was saying, ‘Mom, can you shoot?’ We hesitated but I should’ve done that.”

Cormac and Nicole were huge fans of the first season of “The Amazing Race Canada” and have also been watching the U.S. version for the past 13 years, even making up their own challenges and playing at home.

But even though their dream to win didn’t materialize, the mother and son team say running the “Race” together was the experience of a lifetime.

“It was really interesting for me as a mom to see my son in a mature light, a very different light outside of just being my son. He’s always been my  little boy and I was able to see this mature adult making decisions, carrying my backpack when we had to run far. I thought, ‘I really like this guy.’”

“It was the best experience of my life,” adds Cormac.

While the team has many highlights from the “Race,” Nicole says skydiving on the first leg in Victoria was the moment she was most proud of herself.

“No matter what kind of emotional meltdown I had right before I got in the plane, I was able to pull it off and one of the reasons was because I kept saying to myself, ‘Cormac is on the ground there waiting for you. Do not disappoint him.’”

Cormac says bungee jumping in Macau, China, was his favourite moment.

“That was unreal. That in itself was the highlight of the Race for me.”

Source:http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/Articles/Season-Two/Week5_eliminee_article.aspx?cid=snipe