Author Topic: TAR Canada 4 Ep 7 "I Could Be Prime Minister" Kingston, Ontario  (Read 4866 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Thanks Sue!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:40:24 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR Canada 4 Ep 7 (Title TBD) Kingston, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 03:26:35 PM »
saved for vids
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 03:26:50 PM »
Map of Kingston     (all locations are labelled on map)

Train station top left

Kingston Pen bottom left

Bellevue House  Centre Street

Bubble soccer at Queen's University Stuart Street across from KGH (hospital)

Kingston Yacht Club  end of Maitland Street

Market Square Clarence Street (behind City Hall)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:42:44 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 03:27:22 PM »
No posting except for Oval please!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 06:13:40 PM »
Leg 7: Hamilton, Ontario → Kingston, Ontario

FILM DATES:May 14
AIR DATE:August 9

ROUTE INFO:Travel via train to Kingston, Ontario

ROUTE INFO:Kingston Yacht Club

ROUTE INFO:Kingston Penitentiary
U-TURNx2:Unknown

ROUTE INFO:Fort Henry

ROUTE INFO:Kingston Market

ROUTE INFO:Bellevue House

PIT STOP:Unknown

:yes:  SAFE:

?  AT RISK:

X  ELIMINATED:     
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:38:12 AM by ovalorange »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 11:02:54 PM »
Saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 11:03:21 PM »
No posting except for Alen please!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 11:29:05 PM »
Preview.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9qBmmO72Xx4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9qBmmO72Xx4</a>
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 06:30:04 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 11:29:49 PM »
Caps.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:04:26 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 11:30:25 PM »
Caps.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:08:00 PM by Alenaveda »

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »
Looks like there's actually a task inside the pentitentiary :D I was hoping they wouldn't just use it as a backdrop for the U-Turn.

And maybe they're not bringing back the Face Off/Double Battle this season. The bubble soccer would have been fitting, but turns out it's a Detour.

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 10:34:37 AM »
Episode title: "I Could be Prime Minister" as per tvtv.ca

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR Canada 4 Ep 7 "I Could Be Prime Minister" Kingston, Ontario
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 02:40:05 PM »
Most likely the clue box for whatever was going on at Bellevue House (his residence).

I expect some sort of task with historical actors. As Jon said, Kingston was the first capital before Canada became a country (though it actually wasn't for long). Hopefully it doesn't end up feeling like a retread of the Charlottetown Roadblock.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:49:04 PM by Maanca »

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 05:30:43 PM »
That statue is at City Park, corner of King E & West Sts., and within a few blocks of Queen's U where the Bubbleball soccer is. In fact, it's about halfway between Queen's and the Kingston Yacht Club. It could be the marker for the Detour.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »
An article today from the Kingston Whig-Standard that tells us lots.

So part of the Yacht Club Detour was that they actually had to rig up the sailboat first.

Bellevue House came after the U-Turn and was the Roadblock, they had to memorize and recite one of John A. MacDonald's speeches.

-------------------------------------------------------------

‘Amazing’ opportunity

By Peter Hendra, Kingston Whig-Standard

Friday, August 5, 2016 5:17:31 EDT PM
Supplied photo Participants in The Amazing Race Canada during the filming of an episode in Kingston.

Supplied photo Participants in The Amazing Race Canada during the filming of an episode in Kingston.

In early May, an email arrived from CTV offering us an exclusive news story. Non-disclosure agreements were signed, hearts crossed, and then we were told we’d be allowed to tag along with the production crew of The Courier as they shot an episode in Kingston.

The Courier was not the real title of the show, but a code name we would use for all future correspondence. I couldn’t be more pleased as I have always wanted to work on a project with a code name. Seriously.

(I think it’s entirely reasonable that The Courier could actually be a reality show: “Follow the lives of big-city bicycle couriers as they negotiate traffic and their lives …,” or something like that.)

As it turned out, The Courier was, in fact, The Amazing Race Canada, the popular race-around-the-globe show that first surfaced south of the border, with a Canadian version introduced four seasons ago.

They would be shooting in Kingston on Saturday, May 14, we were told, and offered an inside look at how the show was filmed. The episode, titled “I Could be Prime Minister,” finally airs Tuesday night on CTV.

As to whether Kingston would be a destination on the show was not a matter of if but when, supervising producer Mark Lysakowski explained over the phone a few weeks ago.

“Kingston is an important city in our country,” he said, pointing out it was the country’s first capital, home to its first prime minister and host of the sailing Olympics four decades ago, among other things.

In addition to being the show runner, Lysakowski also helps scout the locations — he made a few trips to Kingston months ago — and choose the cast. He also talked with tourist boards — who, like me, were required to sign non-disclosure agreements — in creating the route and challenges (which are tested beforehand).

“Part of the race is getting access to things that everyday Canadians (don’t) get to do,” he said.

After meeting the publicity folks at their hotel that overcast morning, we walked over to Market Square. A few of the teams had already arrived, and they stood out from other farmers’ market-goers because of their towering backpacks, their (often) matching outfits, and — oh, yeah — they were being followed by ridiculously fit cameramen who followed their every step while running or squatting or both.

At 9:30 a.m., the contestants got their first clue. One pair takes off toward Clarence Street, another toward Brock before turning around and following the crowd. There, the teams have to figure out how to unlock a car using a provided cellphone, and then they were to speed off to their first challenge (after they stopped to pick up their respective cameramen, of course).

As the teams headed to complete one of two challenges — the first at Kingston Yacht Club, where they had to rig and sail a Laser; the second at Nixon Field on Queen’s University’s campus, where they had to play ‘bubble’ soccer — before moving on to the next clue, we piled into a van as we embarked on what would prove to be a race within the Race.

We had to stay either ahead of or behind the competitors, and never seen for fear of tipping them off. That became evident when we arrived at the KYC, a destination that proved elusive for some of the teams to find. We were the first to arrive, in fact, and had to tuck the van in behind other parked cars to stay out of sight.

The sailboats were lined up on the outer-most dock, with a student standing steadfastly beside them to offer assistance. There wasn’t a lot of action — rigging as entertainment has yet to reach these shores, or any for that matter — so off to Nixon field we went. Again, we arrived at almost the same time as a team, so we had to stay back a bit, like a cop tailing a suspect in a movie, and let them figure out where they were going.

Once they had, we parked and grabbed seats on the sideline bleachers, trying to stay out of the shot.

Among those seated on the bleachers was Scott Henderson, a Queen’s University graduate who is now vice-president of communications at CTV. Although he now calls Toronto home, Henderson returns to Kingston frequently.

“I have been encouraging them to choose Kingston for several years,” Henderson revealed weeks later, after production on the show had wrapped up, “so it was amazing to see them there.”

It was the first time he had actually been on location with the show.

“I think it showcased how beautiful Kingston is,” he added, “but also its rich history and all it has to offer.”

As we sat watching some teams finish up the soccer obstacle course and others struggle with it, suddenly there was a restrained “Yes!” here and an “All right!” there. There were a few high-fives and fist pumps, too. The producers use a messaging system through their cellphones to post a running commentary on which teams are where and doing what.

The reason for the muted excitement was that a team had finally deployed a “U-Turn,” which means the team on the receiving end had to turn around and complete the other challenge as well.

“That’s the thing about Canadians,” one person remarked, “sometimes we’re too nice to use U-turns.”

Supervising producer Lysakowski has seen the U-Turn Board go unused before. “That’s so Canadian,” he would similarly muse.

“When we do this show, there are little things that excite us. It’s not like we’re saving the world, we’re trying to entertain people 43 minutes at a time,” he suggested. “It’s those little things that help develop our story.”

The next stop for the teams was the notorious, now-shuttered Kingston Penitentiary, a site Lysakowski was personally excited to see for himself.

“Kingston Pen, people know about it from coast to coast to coast, for good and bad reasons, obviously, and it’s been around for a long time,” he said. “It’s a beautiful, beautiful structure.”

I was excited, too, to see inside those towering walls, but by the time we arrived, no other team ahd arrived yet and one of the teams, in fact, had already moved on to the next challenge. So we hopped back in to the now-all-too-familiar van and scooted over to nearby Bellevue House, the former home of Sir John A. Macdonald and site of the next challenge.

Gathered outside was a teacup-holding crowd dressed in period garb. One member of the team had to don their own period duds and memorize one of Sir John’s stirring speeches, then deliver it to the approval of the amassed. We stood and watched from outside as the contestant paced in front of a study window going over the lines.

“We never go wrong playing up to Canada,” Lysakowski observed. “The audience enjoys when we pay homage to this country.”

As the first few were delivered, we jumped back into the car to ensure we arrived at the final destination before they did (this was the publicity crew, after all, so they were responsible for getting all of the press photos and didn’t dare miss one at the finish line).

When we arrived at Kingston Mills, there were already about 15 crew there, including host Jon Montgomery. The crew, relaxed and familiar with each other, joked around until the word came in that the first team had just pulled into the parking lot. Everyone scrambled to their places, Montgomery stood behind the show’s trademark mat, and the team walked along the lock and then jumped on the mat, winning first place and an all-paid vacation as a bonus.

Rather than wait for the rest of the teams to arrive, we headed back to the city, and found out that a team had just arrived at Kingston Pen. We slipped inside, then walked and gawked around the infamous range until the pair finally found the clue.

Then we split up, with my half going to Fort Henry’s Discovery Centre, where the post-Race interviews were being conducted for hours after the filming had finished.

Lysakowski was really happy with how the filming in Kingston had gone.

“I saw some of the footage of the episode,” Lysakowski told me over the phone a few weeks ago, “and this is going to be a great show.”

I, for one, hope he’s right, and I can’t wait to see it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 06:32:17 PM by Maanca »

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 07:08:34 PM »
Preview and caps are up!

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »
:( at who's At Risk this week.

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 04:44:48 PM »
Here's the pitstop pic!
It's tiny.
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 05:08:59 PM »
Here's the pitstop pic!
It's tiny.

Ah, Kingston Mills! Where the St. Lawrence River drains into Lake Ontario. I was here years ago.

"Kingston Mills, located approximately 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) north of downtown Kingston, Ontario, is the southern-most lockstation and one of 24 lockstations of the Rideau Canal system. Kingston Mills is a component of the Rideau Canal National Historic Site, and along with the rest of the Rideau Canal, is a World Heritage Site. The site is managed and operated by Parks Canada."

Offline TheBayAreaGuy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 10:33:14 PM »
Enjoyed the prison (although it should've been a better task) and the roadblock since the audience learned something...but the rest of the episode was sub-par