Author Topic: TAR CANADA 2 Contestants - Natalie Spooner and Meaghan Mikkelson (Teammates)  (Read 16868 times)

Offline Felix

• RFF Full Member
Re: TAR CANADA 2 Contestants - Natalie Spooner and Meaghan Mikkelson (Teammates)
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »
They're,by FAR,the best FF team to ever race in any edition.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR CANADA 2 Contestants - Natalie Spooner and Meaghan Mikkelson (Teammates)
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 08:19:31 PM »
I think they're guaranteed an average placing of under 2 which is incredible!

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 03:44:14 PM »
FINAL THREE TEAMS ON WHY THEY SHOULD WIN ‘THE AMAZING RACE CANADA’

The Olympic Gold medalists and friends have dominated this “Race” so far, but do they have what it takes to take home the gold in the championship leg?

Number of Legs won: 7

Number of Times Saved by Non-Elimination: 0

Why do you think you’ve been able to make it this far?

Natalie: “I think we work really well together and we’re very different but also very similar … I think that has helped us in the ‘Race,’ that if I’m missing out on something then Meaghan is going to see it (and vice versa). We’ve been having fun and trying our hardest and things have been going well so far.”

Meaghan: “We have a good balance in our team … we’re both very competitive and very driven. We try to go out there and be our best every single leg of the ‘Race’ and that’s our goal going into the final.”

Why do you deserve to win?

Meaghan: “I think we deserve to win because we are such a great team and we’ve done so well so far in this ‘Race.’ We’ve proven we can win and we deserve to win and we are one of the stronger teams. At the same time I don’t think we can underestimate the other two teams … you never know what could happen on any given day of the ‘Race.’”

Source:http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/Articles/Season-Two/tarc_season_2_final_3_preview.aspx

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »
Final 3 interview on local news:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2010983

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 07:47:31 PM »
OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS NATALIE AND MEAGHAN SETTLE FOR SILVER IN 'AMAZING RACE CANADA' FINALE

Despite dominating “The Amazing Race Canada” with seven first-place finishes, Olympic champions Natalie Spooner and Meaghan Mikkelson had to settle for silver in the final leg. 

“It’s very, very upsetting. You go into the finals and you obviously want to win . . . We’d done so well the entire ‘Race,’ and we never had a really terrible leg but it just seems like all our bad luck was saved for one day. Nothing went well for us,” says Meaghan.

Natalie and Meaghan, who earned a gold medal in women’s hockey at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, finished closely behind best friends Mickey Henry and Pete Schmalz on Sunday’s Season 2 finale in Ottawa. Co-workers Ryan Steele and Rob Goddard finished in third.

“As upset as we are though we couldn’t be happier for Mickey and Pete. They’re really great guys and they ran a really clean ‘Race’ that day,” says Meaghan.

The day got off to a bad start for Natalie and Meaghan, whose broken right hand is still healing, at a rafting challenge that required them to paddle across the Ottawa River.

“I had two things to think about in that ‘Race’ and it’s winning the ‘Race’ and battling through it, and then it’s my hockey career and my responsibility to Hockey Canada and my team. I didn’t want to push my hand to a point where I was going to have any permanent damage so I had to be smart with it,” says Meaghan.

“I was basically paddling with one hand at that point. I wasn’t using my right hand very much and I think that probably hurt us a bit.”

The team finished after Mickey and Pete, who is a river raft guide, and continued to stay just behind them through the next two challenges. 

They ran into more trouble at a Roadblock that required one team member to ascend 60ft. up a glass atrium. Since Natalie had done the task of finding miniature cars at the Diefenbunker, Meaghan had no choice but to do the physically demanding challenge. 

“Pulling myself across with one arm, that was really tough, and my hand was pretty sore. But we’ve been through a lot of difficult things and we’ve put our bodies through a lot of pain when it comes to training and in preparation for the Olympics this year, you push yourself to a point of mental and physical exhaustion. I knew what that felt like and I knew I needed to kind of push through,” says Meaghan.

The team managed to catch up to Mickey and Pete at the final challenge at the National Gallery of Canada -- arranging paintings of places they saw on the “Race” in the order they saw them -- but the carefree best friends finished the task before them once again and arrived at the Finish Line in first place.

“It was a bad day for us and it didn’t go our way but things happen for a reason and we raced our hardest the whole ‘Race’ and we had the best time ever, we had so much fun doing all these cool things,” says Natalie.

And even though they dominated the entire “Race,” Natalie and Meaghan admit that no one was more surprised than they were.

“We went into the first leg saying we just can’t get eliminated on the first episode. It would be so embarrassing. And then we won and we were like, ‘Wow I can’t believe that just happened’ and it seemed like every time we would walk away from Jon (Montgomery) and turn to each other and say, ‘Did that just happen?’” says Meaghan.

The team is very appreciative of all the support they’ve received from their fans and are hoping that their time on the “Race” will help inspire other young women and raise the profile of women’s hockey.

They will now return to playing for their respective club teams until the next Olympics and say this experience has made them closer than ever.

“I think it brought us a lot closer than either one of us would probably have expected. Now we talk every single day and Spooner is one of my best friends,” says Meaghan.

Source:http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/Articles/Season-Two/tarc_212_nat_meaghan_settle_for_silver.aspx

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Chestermere High School Students Get a Gold Medal Experience

It is safe to say that when there is a hockey game on, most Canadians can be found zeroed in on their TV screens cheering on their favorite team…and even more so when it is Olympic hockey. If you were watching women’s hockey during the 2010 and 2014 winter games, you would have noticed the amazing Meaghan Mikkelson. However, on October 6th, Meaghan could be found at Chestermere High School speaking to a full house of students anxious to hear about her journey.
Mikkelson took the students through the story of her life. Telling them that at age 13, sitting on her living room floor watching the Women’s Canadian National hockey team play at the 1998 Winter Olympics and saying to herself “I want to do that. I want to play hockey in the Olympics and represent Canada”. She continued through her schooling, graduated high school and attended the University of Wisconsin where she won two national championships.
When she graduated with a degree in business and marketing, Meaghan returned to Calgary where she got a job working downtown doing very well at her career while continuing to play hockey. However, the dream of that 13 year old girl wanting to represent her country in a sport that she loved, drove her to make the decision to quit her job and pursue her dreams of Olympic gold.
With footage of the gold medal game in Sochi played on February 20, 2014, Mikkelson took the students through the emotions and feelings of a team facing a silver medal win as they were behind two goals to the USA. Four days prior to this game, Mikkelson broke her hand and she stressed to the students that even in times of adversity and road blocks, anything is possible. Even though it has been 8 months since that Canadian Women’s hockey team came back with 2 ½ minutes left to tie the USA and then win the gold in overtime, as the footage was played for the captivated students, you could still see the two time Gold Medalist fill with emotion as she watched that winning goal.
Following the 2014 Sochi games, Mikkelson and team mate Natalie Spooner were cast to participate in The Amazing Race Canada. She made the comparison of Olympic hockey to The Amazing Race by saying, “when preparing for the Olympics I felt I had done years of training, I knew exactly what to do and how the game is played. Nothing prepared me for what we went through on the Amazing Race Canada”. Mikkelson and Spooner went on to take second place in The Amazing Race Canada, only falling behind the first place team by seven minutes. Meaghan reflected saying, “this wasn’t about winning, and it was about the journey. Being able to travel to all of those amazing places and to be able to stop, enjoy and just being in the moment”.
With two Olympic gold medals and a second place finish in The Amazing Race Canada, what is next for Mikkelson……the hope of that third gold medal at the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea.

Source:http://www.theanchor.ca/2014/chestermere-high-school-students-get-a-gold-medal-experience/

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Audition video:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ubP7Uh0x3zE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ubP7Uh0x3zE</a>

Online Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
Both Spooner and Mikkelson were named to Canada's women's hockey team for the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Canada will be going for its 5th straight gold medal in women's hockey.

:cmas9

Laura from their season posted this video that's a montage of much of their cast cheering them on :) (Jon of course as a fellow Olympian, Mickey, Ryan & Rob, Sukhi & Jinder, Pierre & Michel, Cormac & Nicole, Laura & Nicole, Jen & Shawn, and Nabeela)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anZa6EtN4wo&feature=youtu.be