Author Topic: The Amazing Race: Marker-by-Marker Spreadsheet  (Read 5129 times)

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
The Amazing Race: Marker-by-Marker Spreadsheet
« on: May 27, 2014, 01:48:33 AM »
:hello2: guys!

I made this spreadsheet, listing the positions of each team for each marker, for each leg. It notes Detour changes, transportation orders, penalties and where they were incurred, Roadblock count, and more. :)

I've finished 11 seasons so far (01, 10-11, 17-24).

Here are the links to the file in Google Docs:
Docs Spreadsheet form
.XLS File (download through 'File' tab)

I made the spreadsheet on a laptop using Excel 2003. Message me if there are technical problems. :D

Have a look and enjoy :waves:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:43:48 AM by Karpov617 »
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Re: The Amazing Race: Marker-by-Marker Spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 02:40:35 PM »
Hey there Karpov! Wow, those are really impressive! They will definitely prove interesting and useful to others!

Not to undermine your work or anything, but I thought I'd let you know that some marker-by-marker statistics have already been created for races 1-13 (though not quite to your level of quality)

They're over on The Wiki!
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »
Karpov, how about you work with GB on updating the wiki?? That would be AWESOME!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 02:54:23 PM »
What Karpov can do is add his work to the RFF Wiki. :tup:
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 06:46:52 PM »
Yeah, I was planning on adding more marker-by-marker tables at a later date, but if Karpov wants to help he certainly can :D
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 09:11:04 PM »
I'd love to help ;) but we have different formats. What do you propose?
I'm gonna fight 'em all

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 08:56:29 AM »
This is AWESOME!!!!!  :conf:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »
The wiki currently has the most pertinent information, and on a place like the wiki there's not much room for more than that considering it's a table. (Especially since we usually have to reserve space on the right for images)

It's up to you man. If you'd like to follow the given format, go ahead. If you'd like to propose an improvement to my format, that's fine too. Or, if not, you can continue with your Excel's, since those would still be well received by others here.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »
Karpov, it sure would be great if you could gradually input your data into ours! We are striving to have the most complete and accurate info anywhere, so info such as yours is treasured.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »
Okay :) So I edited this page to add my information and tweaked the format. The table did become taller. What do you think?

http://realityfanwiki.com/index.php?title=The_Amazing_Race_21_Leg_1#Results
I'm gonna fight 'em all

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 04:18:07 PM »
I don't think it's necessary to list the Roadblock performers, since on all normal legs, we will colour in the name of who did the Roadblock in bold on the far right.

This doesn't really work in this table, I know, but I've been planning to go back and fix legs with multiple Roadblocks by Bolding whoever did the first Roadblock, and Underlining who did the second one.

Remember that, on a Wiki, it's usually preferred to have really simple tables with extensive "Legends" below them. Usually we want to throw out the information easily and quickly to anyone who wants to read :P

But also, the teams aren't in order anymore. Just like the overall leg placements table, the contestants should be ordered in the order they are "at the end of the day" (Which would be their Pit Stop placements)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:24:29 PM by GB »

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 08:13:20 PM »
The table does look better shorter and without the Roadblock names :-[

However, I do think it's better if the teams are arranged at the start instead of at the end, since it better shows how each team have risen or fallen by the end of the leg.

Also, how about the Detour? I'm assuming the detour choices and detour switching won't be included in the table anymore?
I'm gonna fight 'em all

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 09:05:44 PM »
I haven't reached this point yet, but the pages for each team are going to include synopses of their progression through each leg, and Detour switches will be covered there.

It's, of course, most important to note which Detour they /did/ complete. I think that if you want to show this in the marker leaderboard, then utilizing "A" or "B" next to the team's placement to indicate which Detour they did is a good idea (Detours were originally known by 'Choice A' and 'Choice B', and are still known as Options A and B in the Latin America race)

Then you can also add something like "A blue team placement indicates the team switched Detours at least once" or something similar.

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 06:40:56 AM »
Here's my take on TAR21 L09:
http://realityfanwiki.com/index.php?title=The_Amazing_Race_21_Leg_9#Results

The leg has a Detour, a Roadblock, a Fast Forward, and a U-Turn. Thoughts?
I'm gonna fight 'em all

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »
It's good except for two things:

First, if there is no change in placement between getting the clue at a Roadblock/Detour, and completion of that Roadblock/Detour, then there only needs to be one column, otherwise it's superfluous.

And again I think I should bring up the order. Having them ordered in terms of finish instead of in terms of start will still show teams that got ahead and teams that fell behind, and it's sort of a general thing to have the last place team be at the bottom. Does anyone else have any input on this?

Oh, and you do need to use the different symbols for the second U-Turn. This is for the benefit of colour-blind people.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:52:11 PM by GB »

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 12:05:36 AM »
I really need more input on which order is better before I start adding the Results tables in the pages...
I'm gonna fight 'em all

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 02:35:04 PM »
Third opinion, guys! C'mon! :P

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 04:12:15 PM »
Everyone, please give your opinion. It's easy

When listing the placement of teams over the legs, is it better to have them arranged by PIT START DEPARTURE, or PIT STOP ARRIVAL?

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 04:35:25 PM »
Pit Stop Arrival
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 04:45:33 AM »
I would like to ask if and how the penalties should be added in the results table per leg?
I'm gonna fight 'em all

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 09:43:22 AM »
Have a separate Pit-stop Departure table? :)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 01:42:07 PM »
I always just show their placements "as-is", even if they have a penalty pending. Then for whenever it's applied (ie, Pit Stop), just have two columns (Only populate the first column with the penalty-given person's initial arrival)

The difference is if they've missed a clue entirely. For example, Chip & Kim missed a clue during their first leg, but went right ahead and performed the Detour. Though they were ahead of everyone, they were most certainly not in first. So I "held back" their placement on anything past the missed clue until they went back and got it.

See what I'm talking about on Race 5 Leg 1's page