Author Topic: TAR 25 Speculation and Discussion **of Spoilers**  (Read 321999 times)

Offline rakionn11

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Fan of TAR and Phil Keoghan
Re: TAR 25 Speculation and Discussion **of Spoilers**
« Reply #1025 on: June 20, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
Where does the tricycle task take place?
Rosario, Cavite
"The world is waiting for you. Good luck. Travel safe. Go!" - Phil Keoghan
:conf

Offline Gurizin

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1026 on: June 20, 2014, 08:34:14 AM »
Picture of Kym & Alli (photo taken in morning (18 Jun SGT), at Changi Point Jetty)

Credits to Sean Yap (my friend Josh Lim's friend)

This sighting explains a lot about why the teams weren't seen much during the Singapore leg! Changi Point Ferry Terminal is as far from Singapore's city centre as you can get. It is near the airport, but no one would go there if they weren't doing a task / route info there. It's a pretty quiet neighbourhood famous for seafood (Changi Village). Do consider adding this to the timeline as this is very evidently a separate location from the rest (Sentosa, Raffles, Marina Bay are all in Central Singapore)!

Also worth noting that regular bumboats from Changi Point Ferry Terminal (where the photo was taken) run every ~30 mins to 2 nearby destinations: Pengerang at the south-eastern tip of Johor, Malaysia & the offshore Singapore island of Pulau Ubin. Pengerang is a sleepy undeveloped area so I doubt they went there, but it is highly possible teams travelled to Pulau Ubin for a task. The island is a 5-10 mins bumboat ride away from Changi Village, dubbed the last remnant of Singapore in the old days due to its many forests, mangroves, kampongs (traditional Malay villages) and granite quarries. As students we often went on nature trips & camping there. If we can place the exact timing of your friend's sighting in the morning, we could see if this was before or after the sightings of them in the city centre. Evan, this is a great find!

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1027 on: June 20, 2014, 11:28:18 AM »
Where does the tricycle task take place?
Rosario, Cavite
Thanks, but I was thinking a more specific location IN Rosario.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1028 on: June 20, 2014, 11:46:04 AM »
Kim Selorio ‏@kimSELORIO  4h
Enjoying @CATCH2T17's first general assembly. Amazing race now happening at Razon. :))

I don't know if this is related, but CATCH2T17 is a student assembly at the University of Sto. Tomas. Pit Stop?

The Catch2T17 thing, from the looks of it, is for DLSU, another university in the area. Razon is the Sport Building of the university.

Oh :P

So it's probably unrelated :lol:

You never know :D It could be a Detour task site. The tweet was from 4 hours ago, so they could have returned from Cavite by then.

Razon's the PhysEd building of DLSU. My spec here is that they're having their own version of TAR, because the 1st sentence will only make sense with what I think.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1029 on: June 20, 2014, 11:49:46 AM »
I wanna find out who the F3 will be, but I won't be going to the airport anytime soon.
If they're going to rural Ph, I'm pretty sure they will go to Ninoy Aquino Int'l Airport before going back to the US. :)

Offline Tar25fan

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1030 on: June 20, 2014, 11:57:10 AM »
There are direct flights to Hawaii, LA, and San Francisco. I hope they go to San Francisco, because SF >>>>>>>>>>>>> LA, and Hawaii was just visited and could give advantage to Adam & Bethany

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1031 on: June 20, 2014, 11:59:05 AM »
Kim Selorio ‏@kimSELORIO  4h
Enjoying @CATCH2T17's first general assembly. Amazing race now happening at Razon. :))

I don't know if this is related, but CATCH2T17 is a student assembly at the University of Sto. Tomas. Pit Stop?

The Catch2T17 thing, from the looks of it, is for DLSU, another university in the area. Razon is the Sport Building of the university.

Oh :P

So it's probably unrelated :lol:

You never know :D It could be a Detour task site. The tweet was from 4 hours ago, so they could have returned from Cavite by then.

Razon's the PhysEd building of DLSU. My spec here is that they're having their own version of TAR, because the 1st sentence will only make sense with what I think.

I also doubt there's something really good to do in Razon. I don't see any potential tasks in there. If a cluebox is in there... I would wonder why. ???

MrDeerShank

« Reply #1032 on: June 20, 2014, 12:29:53 PM »
There are direct flights to Hawaii, LA, and San Francisco. I hope they go to San Francisco, because SF >>>>>>>>>>>>> LA, and Hawaii was just visited and could give advantage to Adam & Bethany

First off, how does that give them ANY advantage in the Final Leg and secondly, it is unconfirmed whether they are even going to make the final leg.

Offline aryantsoeseno

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1033 on: June 20, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
Xenocentric ‏@Cosme_Gabriel1 1 godz.
Saw #theamazingrace at ust this morning 2am! **** I WAS LESS THAN A KILOMETER FROM TAR25!

at 2am? maybe he meant 2pm...the teams were at baclaran church by that time and waited there til 6am. UST campus is quite far from baclaran. or maybe one of the teams got lost in UST?
if the teams were at baclaran church by that time & waited there til 6am, i think 2am is correct right  ???  plus Xenocentric ‏@Cosme_Gabriel1 said "this morning" so basically he/she wrote nothing wrong... CMIIW

Offline Tar25fan

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1034 on: June 20, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »
Because they are from Hawaii and certainly more familiar with the state than the other teams.

Offline foreverhoping

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1035 on: June 20, 2014, 02:14:04 PM »
Because they are from Hawaii and certainly more familiar with the state than the other teams.

Doesn't real make sense.  It would be just like saying that because someone is a single mom from Detroit, she must work odd hours for little pay and really needs the money

Offline Tar25fan

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1036 on: June 20, 2014, 02:45:29 PM »
Ok

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #1037 on: June 20, 2014, 02:49:29 PM »

Doesn't real make sense.  It would be just like saying that because someone is a single mom from Detroit, she must work odd hours for little pay and really needs the money

Actually it makes a lot of sense. Even though Hawaii is known as a tourist resort, it is actually pretty small and parochial, as far as native inhabitants are involve. I am not just talking about "native" Hawaiians, but any one that was raised there and grew up. Bethany will have a large group of friends there. If they have to or get a chance to use a cellphone to call a friend for info......it is a tremendous advantage.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Tar25fan

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1038 on: June 20, 2014, 02:53:56 PM »
I thought I would be the only one with this opinion  :funny:
Yeah Hawaii is pretty small its not like California
Nvm

Offline saacman

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1039 on: June 20, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »

Actually it makes a lot of sense. Even though Hawaii is known as a tourist resort, it is actually pretty small and parochial, as far as native inhabitants are involve. I am not just talking about "native" Hawaiians, but any one that was raised there and grew up. Bethany will have a large group of friends there. If they have to or get a chance to use a cellphone to call a friend for info......it is a tremendous advantage.

If they end up going to Kauai, MAYBE they have an advantage.  Any other island and they have no advantage whatsoever.

I think it's a testament to Amazing Race route planners that no team has ever seemed to gain an advantage by finishing a race in or near their home town.  Think Marcus and Amani, etc.  I live on Oahu and when I was watching the finale where Dave and Rachel won here, I know from the clues given and places they went, even as a local to this island I would have had very little, if any advantage.  Plus, isn't it taboo to call anyone you know while on the race?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #1040 on: June 20, 2014, 03:14:30 PM »

If they end up going to Kauai, MAYBE they have an advantage.  Any other island and they have no advantage whatsoever.

I think it's a testament to Amazing Race route planners that no team has ever seemed to gain an advantage by finishing a race in or near their home town.  Think Marcus and Amani, etc.  I live on Oahu and when I was watching the finale where Dave and Rachel won here, I know from the clues given and places they went, even as a local to this island I would have had very little, if any advantage.  Plus, isn't it taboo to call anyone you know while on the race?

Hawaii is not Atlanta.....there are not millions of residences there, so a very bad analogy.

Do you happen to have a rule book? How would you happen to know who they could call or who they couldn't. Teams use taxi driver and fern phones all the time. Normally, they are not in areas where they might actually know someone.

You say you live in Oahu. For how long,? Were you born there? Did you go to school there?

The kamaiana and surfer cultures are pretty tight.

Offline saacman

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1041 on: June 20, 2014, 03:51:57 PM »
Hawaii is not Atlanta.....there are not millions of residences there, so a very bad analogy.

Not sure population should even be a focus of the conversation.  The point is not to say Hawaii is like Atlanta or any other locale, it is to say that the production crew is sufficiently skilled at route planning that they could come up with tasks that would fool even locals.

Do you happen to have a rule book? How would you happen to know who they could call or who they couldn't. Teams use taxi driver and fern phones all the time. Normally, they are not in areas where they might actually know someone.

Obviously I don't have a rule book, but wikipedia supports my guess on that.  Probably where I got the idea in the first place.  Regardless, I think over 24 seasons we would have seen teams contact someone they knew if it were allowed.

You say you live in Oahu. For how long,? Were you born there? Did you go to school there?

Wasn't born here, but went to school here, been here most of my life, and have integrated into a large local family.  Doesn't matter though since you can't contact family or friends, and taxi drivers here are for the majority not surfers, and not what you would consider kama'aina. 

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1042 on: June 20, 2014, 03:53:42 PM »

If Hawaii was used as the Final Leg, which IS possible, it wouldn't give Adam & Bethany any advantage. If they go to an island that Adam & Bethany are not from, they wouldn't have any advantage.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1043 on: June 20, 2014, 04:32:01 PM »
They could also drive to Clark Airport if they would be hoong to rural Philippines. It's more cost-effective to go by Clark.

Offline wishicouldrun

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1044 on: June 20, 2014, 04:39:23 PM »
Over the past 24 seasons we have seen several teams where the final leg was run in their "hometown". This started with TAR1 in fact! Frank & Margarita were from Queens, the last RI being blocks from their house.  They had their taxi driver take the long route from Newark Airport to Woodside, Queens thinking it would be faster knowing how slow crosstown traffic is in NYC. The other two teams went via Manhattan and arrived much faster as the traffic was light. In fact, isn't it true that teams running in their hometown have never had an advantage to a point we say there is a hometown curse? But.... I agree, knowing some local sights, possible shortcuts, where some famous restaurants are, famous statues, buildings, etc would be a huge advantage. :hoot: Also, if there was a task that a local would be familiar with as opposed to someone from another part of the country, again there would be an advantage. (ie: surf boarding)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 04:47:06 PM by wishicouldrun »

Offline Tar25fan

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1045 on: June 20, 2014, 04:48:10 PM »
Even Amani and Marcus said on an interview that they knew right the way one of the places the teams had to figure out

Offline Tar25fan

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1046 on: June 20, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »
I am just agaisnt having a finale on a state which a team may be familiar, nothing agains the team itself, and even if they go to Hawaii I dont think it will be the only reason in case they win

Offline wishicouldrun

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1047 on: June 20, 2014, 05:25:17 PM »
The route is pre-planned, probably before the cast is chosen. Tasks are planned, permits issued, supporting staff hired, props built, etc. Production has no idea who the final 3 will be and if they are a hometown team before the leg actually gets run. Unless there is a major reason to change tasks or locations, I think that it is a violation of the rules to change it. Major reason being acts of war, nature, or anything that in the opinion of producers could be harmful to the teams. We make these statements every season when there are non-elimination legs. And given you have to be a citizen of the US to be part of TAR-USA there is a chance for every state to be the hometown state!

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #1048 on: June 20, 2014, 05:33:05 PM »
Wikipedia is notoriously wrong!!! Lots of supposition by so-called experts.

In TAR14 Jamie Edmonson (an ex police officer) used the taxi driver cell phone to call her "buddies in blue" at the Maui police dept for help. Teams have used phones since the start of TAR to call for information. They may have changed the rule since then, but since racers are the only ones that really know the rules....we will probably never know.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I lived in Kailua for a year. Things might have changed since them, but a Hawaiian drivers license was worth more than an American Express card then.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:41:16 PM by DrRox »

Offline Leilani

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1049 on: June 20, 2014, 05:37:57 PM »
I don't think they necessarily would have an advantage if the final leg is in Hawaii.  I am by far no expert, but I do know that the islands are different so being familiar with one island isn't going to help on another island.  It would be no different than if my husband & I were on the race and the final leg was in Massachusetts.  Sure he's very familiar with a large area of eastern Mass and parts of New Hampshire, but if you threw us a task or a clue to a location in the Berkshires we'd be on the same level as someone who has never been to the state.  Where I think they might have a home court advantage would be knowing the culture and how people there interact with each other and how things are done.  Again I'm not claiming to be any sort of expert, but doing things as the locals do and using the language easily might be the only advantage.  Before anyone says I'm jumping to conclusions that they know the Hawaiian language, I think it's a safe bet that anyone who has lived there for a while at least knows "aloha" and "mahalo" and can use them without it seeming forced or phony.