Author Topic: AMAZING RACE MOVES TO FRIDAY NIGHT 8-9 PM  (Read 26160 times)

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: AMAZING RACE MOVES TO FRIDAY NIGHT 8-9 PM
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 05:11:16 PM »
From a whole network basis, I can kind of see this move because I feel like a new show would be successful in the Sunday timeslot rather than the Friday timeslot, so the network is trying to the best across the board.

I also feel like The Amazing Race does not get many fans from a younger crowd (just my opinion, IDK if it is true) and that many viewers are real big TAR fans and are likely to follow the whole season, no matter what day it is on. So I feel that CBS does not think that TAR will lose too many viewers

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 05:13:54 PM »
Oh wow. Hopefully I guess this will mean that they really try to deliver a better season. It's going to be interesting, I do believe Season 24's low ratings are responsible for this.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 06:44:05 PM »
I wouldn't worry about TAR getting canned just because of a new day... CBS would probably move it again if it doesn't work on the Friday Night timeslot...

Wasn't TAR going against Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead on the current time? Correct me if I'm wrong but those are huge and incredible popular shows... I dont see how is this a bad move from CBS...

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »
I wouldn't worry about TAR getting canned just because of a new day... CBS would probably move it again if it doesn't work on the Friday Night timeslot...

Wasn't TAR going against Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead on the current time? Correct me if I'm wrong but those are huge and incredible popular shows... I dont see how is this a bad move from CBS...

Move back tuesdays

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 07:51:55 PM »
I hope TAR can prosper with this new change. Hopefully season 25 isn't the last season.
Stupid All-Stars. Naming something All-Stars automatically makes it suck in TAR.

A. TAR11 actually had decent ratings? So did TAR18.
B. TAR11 and TAR18 were great seasons.
C. If they made the right things like TAR11 and 18 cast-wise, I'm sure this season wouldn't be as bad. I think the main reason why TAR's returning racer season right now (TAR24) failed was because a lot of people watch more than one CBS Reality Show. Seeing as how Survivor has had so much returning players in the past season, a "delusion" enters into their minds that "ew returning players again oh god no" so they skipped TAR24.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 07:58:52 PM »
+ they put some of the most polarizing teams, third timers, wtf team? (like J/J). So not a great cast overall.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
I hope TAR can prosper with this new change. Hopefully season 25 isn't the last season.
Stupid All-Stars. Naming something All-Stars automatically makes it suck in TAR.

A. TAR11 actually had decent ratings? So did TAR18.
B. TAR11 and TAR18 were great seasons.
C. If they made the right things like TAR11 and 18 cast-wise, I'm sure this season wouldn't be as bad. I think the main reason why TAR's returning racer season right now (TAR24) failed was because a lot of people watch more than one CBS Reality Show. Seeing as how Survivor has had so much returning players in the past season, a "delusion" enters into their minds that "ew returning players again oh god no" so they skipped TAR24.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED All Stars 1.
About the ratings, I just remember reading somewhere that TAR12 "Saved the show" from being cancelled. Maybe not.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »
The reasons for the low ratings this season are simple:

1. This is not really an "All-Star" cast. The first All-Stars pretty much nailed the right choices.
2. Weak route (4 countries in 8 episodes?)
3. The most low-budget tasks they've ever done (e.g...shaving balloons with faces drawn on them? Throwing rain boots filled with water?) The international versions have been outshining TARUS on this one the past few years.
4. I read the comments on Amazing Race's Facebook from time to time, and the general consensus seems to be: Rachel's presence alone has kept many of the regular viewers away, and the viewership likely took another hit when the cowboys got eliminated.

I know CBS has already ordered 25 and 26 but I'm almost afraid to find out how much cheaper they can get in the name of budgeting.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 11:46:50 PM »
As it has been on Sunday,DVR time shifted viewing past 2 am ET Sunday night did not help TAR in the weekly ratings, because the numbers could not take into account live plus three viewing at a minimum. With a Friday night timeslot, it will be at least two days of time shofted viewing that will be included.
I don't think that's how it works.  The weekly ratings that we get on Tuesdays only include live plus same day.  The DVR numbers for +3 or +7 are accounted for all shows, regardless of day, which is why DVR ratings are released 2 weeks later to include that 7 days.  So even then, TAR does not get a big boost from DVR.

Take for example the most recent available numbers, for April 21-28 which were released May 12.  Based on the available Top 25, we can assume that in absolute gains, TAR gets less than a 0.6 increase and less than 53% increase in 18-49.  In total viewers, TAR gets less than 1.7 million viewers increase. 

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2014, 12:47:11 AM »

You're right, I think TAR is currently up against The Walking Dead. (I don't know for sure, since I always watch TAR instead. :P)
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2014, 12:54:04 AM »
TAR has always been up against Once Upon a Time on ABC too. Considering how the second half of OUAT has led to larger viewing numbers (Once's best since Season 1 and 2), and how
Show content
There's gonna be Frozen in Once Upon a Time next season
Season 4 is going, I hope this gives CBS good numbers too. Hawaii Five O was thrown on friday nights and has held up fine, so I'm hoping for the best for TAR.

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2014, 02:57:21 AM »
Thanks CBS for picking the only day that I'll have class during TAR. :funny:

Not a fan of this move but a great season would maybe make up for it... One can only hope. :)

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 06:37:02 AM »
I think the main reason why TAR's returning racer season right now (TAR24) failed was because a lot of people watch more than one CBS Reality Show. Seeing as how Survivor has had so much returning players in the past season, a "delusion" enters into their minds that "ew returning players again oh god no" so they skipped TAR24.

Survivor with returning players is disastrous. No more returnees for Survivor please. If TAR deems Survivor as a successful example in this sense, I have nothing to say.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2014, 06:38:36 AM »
I think the main reason why TAR's returning racer season right now (TAR24) failed was because a lot of people watch more than one CBS Reality Show. Seeing as how Survivor has had so much returning players in the past season, a "delusion" enters into their minds that "ew returning players again oh god no" so they skipped TAR24.

Survivor with returning players is disastrous. No more returnees for Survivor please. If TAR deems Survivor as a successful example in this sense, I have nothing to say.

Heroes Vs. Villains was good, as was Blood vs. Water.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2014, 06:57:13 AM »

Philippines?

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2014, 07:34:20 AM »

Philippines?

Philippines was good too, but both Philippine seasons (Philippines and Caramoan) had either:

A. An awful premerge and epic post merge
Or vice-versa

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2014, 08:20:55 AM »
Caramoan didn't have an awesome premerge or postmerge.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2014, 09:43:21 AM »
Back to the Time Shift Discussion please??  :ty3:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2014, 11:17:53 AM »
This is what TAR will be facing on the other networks at 8pm ET/PT on Friday nights:
ABC - Last Man Standing (30 minutes) / Cristela (30 minutes)
FOX - Masterchefs Junior
NBC - Dateline NBC
CW  - Whose Line Is It Anyway? (30 Minute) Encore repeat of Whose Line Is It Anyway? (also 30 minutes)

CBS has done well in recent years on Friday nights, and with this sort pf scheduling on Friday nights, its not hard to see why. Undercover Boss has does well this past year and a half in that time slot. That would be good news for TAR, which has spent years fighting off shows like Extreme Makeover Home Edition, Desperate Housewives, Once Upon A Time and Sunday Night Football.

As to returning player editions, I've always had the impression that has been more of a CBS thing that a Elise-Bertram thing, and Moonves and Tellum have traditionally always been directly involved in final casting on TAR.
-- theschnauzers

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2014, 11:24:24 AM »
I would follow TAR anywhere it moves.  I think this is a good move,  but we will see.  As far as this season is concerned,  I AM LOVING IT....  I do so love to watch the cowboys,  and the Globetrotters are hilarious.  And believe it or not,  I am becoming a Brenchal fan....lol....I give TAR and A+ for this season.....lol

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »
At least there is no more sports overrun to deal with, and less pressure for ratings. It just seemed like the competition just got a lot tougher on Sundays, and the sports overruns, make it compete not only for one, but 2 time slots. And not just the major networks, but cable has proven to be competition as well.

I think the show will be fine on Fridays. The other networks may struggle on Friday, but not CBS. And they will reach 30 before you know it.

But please, no more All-Star seasons! This was the first time I would rather watch Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown than TAR to get my travel show fix, as this season just got more annoying.

Offline lumimoo

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2014, 02:10:28 PM »
From a whole network basis, I can kind of see this move because I feel like a new show would be successful in the Sunday timeslot rather than the Friday timeslot, so the network is trying to the best across the board.

I also feel like The Amazing Race does not get many fans from a younger crowd (just my opinion, IDK if it is true) and that many viewers are real big TAR fans and are likely to follow the whole season, no matter what day it is on. So I feel that CBS does not think that TAR will lose too many viewers

TAR was the youngest skewing primetime CBS Sunday show, I can guarantee nothing CBS puts on Sunday will get anywhere near the 18-49 number it pulls.

I think this new show that has taken TARs slot will struggle to hit 1.5 once its settled, it may even hit a 1.4. CBS will look long and hard at their schedule and will wonder if its worth having it there.

Looking at their schedule, it'll be an old skewing night now. I'm hoping Madam Secretary flops hard and is canceled so TAR gets the old slot back.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »
Looking at their schedule, it'll be an old skewing night now. I'm hoping Madam Secretary flops hard and is canceled so TAR gets the old slot back.
This brings up an interesting idea. What if TAR is starting out the season on Friday but moves to a new timeslot if one of CBS's new shows gets canceled.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »
CBS put Madam Secretary where it did because from their point of view, it pairs up well with The Good Wife. They have three shows on the shelf for mid-season; CSI:Cyber, The Mentalist, and Battle Creek. CSI:Cyber is currently scheduled to take the Sunday at 10pm time slot to be held by CSI, but who knows what they will do.

CBS is planning to have two seasons of TAR with the Undercover Boss season in between them. (Which fits because UB has difficulty filming more than 13 episodes a season due to the way that show is structured (A week of undercovering is actually more than that, because the logistics between cities otherwise doesn't work.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »
Fridays is better for me. Perhaps CBS is aiming to disprove the Friday death slot.
Some shows busted it in the 70's, it became date night in.