Author Topic: AMAZING RACE MOVES TO FRIDAY NIGHT 8-9 PM  (Read 26266 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
AMAZING RACE MOVES TO FRIDAY NIGHT 8-9 PM
« on: May 14, 2014, 09:14:56 AM »
FRIDAYS – At 8:00 PM, THE AMAZING RACE becomes the latest Emmy Award-winning reality series to open Friday night. It joins the top-rated duo of HAWAII FIVE-0 at 9:00 PM and the night’s #1 program, BLUE BLOODS, at 10:00 PM

SUNDAYS= Two key time period changes bolster the night. The renowned 60 MINUTES, television’s #1 news program, returns at 7:00 PM. Joining the night at 8:00 PM is the new stately drama series MADAM SECRETARY, providing an ideal bridge between 60 MINUTES and one of television’s finest dramas, THE GOOD WIFE, at 9:00 PM. The popular CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION is new to the night at 10:00 PM. When it completes its run of original episodes, the new CSI spinoff, CSI: CYBER, will take over, creating an extended run of original episodes in the time period

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=38924
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:25:59 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: AMAZING RACE MOVES TO FRIDAY NIGHT 8-9 PM
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 09:26:27 AM »
THIS SUCKS.

TAR's BIGGEST RIVAL IS NOW DATELINE AND LAST MAN STANDING  :groan:

Oh well, I hope TAR still does well. :(

The ratings for this season probably caused the shift :/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:30:03 AM by gamerfan09 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 09:28:36 AM »
TAR moving to a Friday night

FRIDAY
8 pm The Amazing Race
9 pm Hawaii Five-0
10 pm Blue Bloods

http://tvline.com/2014/05/14/cbs-fall-tv-lineup-2014-the-big-bang-theory-monday/
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 09:29:14 AM »
Worst decision by CBS ever. Mark my words, this will be the slow death of the show.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »
Wft

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 09:32:56 AM »
The fact that the Tea Leoni Scandal rip off is on Sunday competing against Once Upon a Time also sucks. TAR could hold itself off on Sundays pretty well (even with this season), so why fix what wasn't broken?   :umn: :groan:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 09:35:08 AM »
Yes, TAR Friday nights at 8:00 pm.  Is this the end?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline The Queen V

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Here comes the queen!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 09:36:17 AM »
Victoria has some surprises despite being currently jailed. Just watch out for it next season with less competition.  :<3

But kidding aside, it's a sign that the show's going to be nearing the chopping block.

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 09:39:56 AM »
Why is it so bad? So clueless here...
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Offline purefluff

• RFF Not So Newbie
    • Purefluff
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »
It's right before Shark Tank, which has been in the same time slot (successfully) for a few years now.  Still, it does seem like it's getting buried.  Sunday nights now officially unwatchable on CBS.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:34:37 PM by purefluff »

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 09:46:56 AM »
It's up against Shark Tank, which has been in the same time slot (successfully) for a few years now.  Still, it does seem like it's getting buried.  Sunday nights now officially unwatchable on CBS.

It's official. With this time slot, ABC is now going to win Sundays. I'm sure the Scandal rip off is gonna tank. Shark Tank and TAR fighting is not good. Hopefully it does miracles for the show or the next season will be phenomenal enough. :(

TAR is a show I hold near and dear to my heart (one of the reasons I got into reality tv watching in the first place), and seeing it in this state is horrifying :/

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 10:00:04 AM »
Madam Secretary getting canned might be the best news for TAR. OTOH, if it does well, maybe they'll move it to a spot previously held by another cancelled new show.  Either way, it could create the path to get TAR back to Sunday, which is important (in terms of a 26th season); Undercover Boss returns later on and might end up in the Friday 8PM slot.

Too soon to tell, but what an awful move.  Not shocking at all IMO, but not great.  Fridays in autumn are pretty big for football.  Not NFL, but a couple big time football games (on ESPN and FS1 mainly).  For High school football, it's not a TV hit, but a lot of families that are fans of the show might be occupied with their kids Friday football activities.

Finally, if you thought a pre-emption for the ACMs were bad, if TAR is on Fridays in the spring, well, it'll be rather difficult to find an alternate night during two consecutive weeks of NCAA Tourney action, including Thursday & Friday nights.  I guess we'll see; they almost had the show's 6th season airing first-run episodes on a Saturday a decade prior, but made the move (to Tuesday back then) at the last minute.  For the survival of the show, it would be nice if they did the same thing, but I doubt it.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 10:11:45 AM »
Lets hope for the best  :(

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 10:44:43 AM »

:groan:  OMG, this is the "kiss of death" for TAR.  Friday night is where shows go to die.  :ascared

Isn't Friday night "date night"?  Talk about kissing-off the 18-26 demographic, not that they had any significant share of that market.  Oh well, there's always the "granny factor".  :funny:  Maybe they can save Phil from oblivion.  Can't really complain, 25 seasons was a good run.  Guess Jeff Probst @ Survivor gets the last laugh.  He truly is the sole survivor.  (:;)

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 11:02:24 AM »
What happens undercover boss

Don Task

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 11:02:52 AM »
As you sow, so shall you reap.

I love TAR so much, but I must admit there was a decline in quality of the show. It didn't bring a new country since Paraguay and Azerbaijan in season 20. It became quite monotonous, with too many linear legs a equalizers and no real competition...

I think this shift is the resault of low ratings of season 24 -- the 24th best US season ever (aka the worst one :D ).

I feel like the only chance for TAR ratings boost is hidden here. New countries, new teams (no celebs) and producers with respect and humility!

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 11:11:05 AM »
I wonder if Friday night is even still a death sentence, given the emergence of online viewership and the use of DVRs?

And even if -- god forbid -- the show does get canned by CBS... isn't the show produced (at least in part) by ABC? If CBS decided to ax the show, I'm sure ABC wouldn't mind picking up a 9-time Emmy award winner. :duno:
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline Ticasmom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 11:46:44 AM »
Well, my significant other will be happy-instead of Amazing Race, Wicked Tuna will be seen (:;)
"Be yourself, everybody else is already taken."  Oscar Wilde

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 11:52:52 AM »
If TAR continues to get the same 1.6-1.9 on Fridays, then the show might be safe. For a little bit.  If it gets higher and does "Shark Tank" numbers, then WOW.  Big win.

But if TAR falls lower than what it's been getting on Sundays (and that's a huge possibility on Fridays), then TAR's in trouble. =( 

At the same time, if Madam Secretary bombs on Sundays (and honestly, between "60 Minutes" and "Good Wife"? Don't expect a breakout hit there.) then I could see TAR move right back IF it hasn't fallen too much on Fridays.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »
I posted this one year ago:

Since peaking around TAR 15, ratings have tended to decline by a predictable amount each year.

TAR 16 averaged 2.8-3.2
TAR 18 averaged 2.5-2.8
TAR 20 averaged 2.5-2.8 (interestingly there was no decline)
TAR 22 averaged 2.3-2.5 (remarkably stable this year)

Given the weaker-rated shows on CBS Sundays, the show is safe until it dips below a 2.0, which won't be for at least three cycles.

Unfortunately the show has declined more rapidly than expected (twice as much as previous years), but I didn't anticipate two subpar seasons in a row. TAR will probably live out the rest of its days on Fridays if it can maintain higher than a 1.5. Anything below that puts it cancellation zone unless CBS takes another huge dip in ratings across the board as it did this year.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 03:10:56 PM »
Maybe there were too many similarities between TAR and AMC's Walking Dead on Sunday night.
It was confusing viewers. I was expecting to see Phil at Terminus...
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »
Undercover Boss did well last season in that Friday night timeslot for CBS, and the thinking may be that with DVR viewing proportions being what they are, this will help those who like watching over a weekend. And both Hawaii Five O and Blue Bloods also did well against the other broadcast nets on Friday nights.
As it has been on Sunday,DVR time shifted viewing past 2 am ET Sunday night did not help TAR in the weekly ratings, because the numbers could not take into account live plus three viewing at a minimum. With a Friday night timeslot, it will be at least two days of time shofted viewing that will be included.
Internally, CBS takes into account plus three, plus 7 and plus 30, as well as alternate platforms and international syndication as well as having an ownership interest in its shows in deciding what to do. That is why The Mentalist is still on the air even though its 10pm Sunday night numbers are worse than TAR was a 8pm, especially the international and studio income part.

What will be interesting to see if TAR gets an On Demand slot this coming season like every other CBS show (including both Survivor and Undercover Boss), At least now CBS even has an On Demand presence -- its new for the network.
-- theschnauzers

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »
Maybe there were too many similarities between TAR and AMC's Walking Dead on Sunday night.
It was confusing viewers. I was expecting to see Phil at Terminus...

Will good thing about is no football delay

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 03:46:20 PM »
I hope TAR can prosper with this new change. Hopefully season 25 isn't the last season.
Stupid All-Stars. Naming something All-Stars automatically makes it suck in TAR.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 05:11:16 PM »
From a whole network basis, I can kind of see this move because I feel like a new show would be successful in the Sunday timeslot rather than the Friday timeslot, so the network is trying to the best across the board.

I also feel like The Amazing Race does not get many fans from a younger crowd (just my opinion, IDK if it is true) and that many viewers are real big TAR fans and are likely to follow the whole season, no matter what day it is on. So I feel that CBS does not think that TAR will lose too many viewers

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 05:13:54 PM »
Oh wow. Hopefully I guess this will mean that they really try to deliver a better season. It's going to be interesting, I do believe Season 24's low ratings are responsible for this.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 06:44:05 PM »
I wouldn't worry about TAR getting canned just because of a new day... CBS would probably move it again if it doesn't work on the Friday Night timeslot...

Wasn't TAR going against Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead on the current time? Correct me if I'm wrong but those are huge and incredible popular shows... I dont see how is this a bad move from CBS...

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »
I wouldn't worry about TAR getting canned just because of a new day... CBS would probably move it again if it doesn't work on the Friday Night timeslot...

Wasn't TAR going against Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead on the current time? Correct me if I'm wrong but those are huge and incredible popular shows... I dont see how is this a bad move from CBS...

Move back tuesdays

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 07:51:55 PM »
I hope TAR can prosper with this new change. Hopefully season 25 isn't the last season.
Stupid All-Stars. Naming something All-Stars automatically makes it suck in TAR.

A. TAR11 actually had decent ratings? So did TAR18.
B. TAR11 and TAR18 were great seasons.
C. If they made the right things like TAR11 and 18 cast-wise, I'm sure this season wouldn't be as bad. I think the main reason why TAR's returning racer season right now (TAR24) failed was because a lot of people watch more than one CBS Reality Show. Seeing as how Survivor has had so much returning players in the past season, a "delusion" enters into their minds that "ew returning players again oh god no" so they skipped TAR24.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 07:58:52 PM »
+ they put some of the most polarizing teams, third timers, wtf team? (like J/J). So not a great cast overall.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »

A. TAR11 actually had decent ratings? So did TAR18.
B. TAR11 and TAR18 were great seasons.
C. If they made the right things like TAR11 and 18 cast-wise, I'm sure this season wouldn't be as bad. I think the main reason why TAR's returning racer season right now (TAR24) failed was because a lot of people watch more than one CBS Reality Show. Seeing as how Survivor has had so much returning players in the past season, a "delusion" enters into their minds that "ew returning players again oh god no" so they skipped TAR24.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED All Stars 1.
About the ratings, I just remember reading somewhere that TAR12 "Saved the show" from being cancelled. Maybe not.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »
The reasons for the low ratings this season are simple:

1. This is not really an "All-Star" cast. The first All-Stars pretty much nailed the right choices.
2. Weak route (4 countries in 8 episodes?)
3. The most low-budget tasks they've ever done (e.g...shaving balloons with faces drawn on them? Throwing rain boots filled with water?) The international versions have been outshining TARUS on this one the past few years.
4. I read the comments on Amazing Race's Facebook from time to time, and the general consensus seems to be: Rachel's presence alone has kept many of the regular viewers away, and the viewership likely took another hit when the cowboys got eliminated.

I know CBS has already ordered 25 and 26 but I'm almost afraid to find out how much cheaper they can get in the name of budgeting.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 11:46:50 PM »
As it has been on Sunday,DVR time shifted viewing past 2 am ET Sunday night did not help TAR in the weekly ratings, because the numbers could not take into account live plus three viewing at a minimum. With a Friday night timeslot, it will be at least two days of time shofted viewing that will be included.
I don't think that's how it works.  The weekly ratings that we get on Tuesdays only include live plus same day.  The DVR numbers for +3 or +7 are accounted for all shows, regardless of day, which is why DVR ratings are released 2 weeks later to include that 7 days.  So even then, TAR does not get a big boost from DVR.

Take for example the most recent available numbers, for April 21-28 which were released May 12.  Based on the available Top 25, we can assume that in absolute gains, TAR gets less than a 0.6 increase and less than 53% increase in 18-49.  In total viewers, TAR gets less than 1.7 million viewers increase. 

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2014, 12:47:11 AM »

You're right, I think TAR is currently up against The Walking Dead. (I don't know for sure, since I always watch TAR instead. :P)
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2014, 12:54:04 AM »
TAR has always been up against Once Upon a Time on ABC too. Considering how the second half of OUAT has led to larger viewing numbers (Once's best since Season 1 and 2), and how
Show content
There's gonna be Frozen in Once Upon a Time next season
Season 4 is going, I hope this gives CBS good numbers too. Hawaii Five O was thrown on friday nights and has held up fine, so I'm hoping for the best for TAR.

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2014, 02:57:21 AM »
Thanks CBS for picking the only day that I'll have class during TAR. :funny:

Not a fan of this move but a great season would maybe make up for it... One can only hope. :)

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 06:37:02 AM »
I think the main reason why TAR's returning racer season right now (TAR24) failed was because a lot of people watch more than one CBS Reality Show. Seeing as how Survivor has had so much returning players in the past season, a "delusion" enters into their minds that "ew returning players again oh god no" so they skipped TAR24.

Survivor with returning players is disastrous. No more returnees for Survivor please. If TAR deems Survivor as a successful example in this sense, I have nothing to say.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2014, 06:38:36 AM »
I think the main reason why TAR's returning racer season right now (TAR24) failed was because a lot of people watch more than one CBS Reality Show. Seeing as how Survivor has had so much returning players in the past season, a "delusion" enters into their minds that "ew returning players again oh god no" so they skipped TAR24.

Survivor with returning players is disastrous. No more returnees for Survivor please. If TAR deems Survivor as a successful example in this sense, I have nothing to say.

Heroes Vs. Villains was good, as was Blood vs. Water.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2014, 06:57:13 AM »

Philippines?

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2014, 07:34:20 AM »

Philippines?

Philippines was good too, but both Philippine seasons (Philippines and Caramoan) had either:

A. An awful premerge and epic post merge
Or vice-versa

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2014, 08:20:55 AM »
Caramoan didn't have an awesome premerge or postmerge.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2014, 09:43:21 AM »
Back to the Time Shift Discussion please??  :ty3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2014, 11:17:53 AM »
This is what TAR will be facing on the other networks at 8pm ET/PT on Friday nights:
ABC - Last Man Standing (30 minutes) / Cristela (30 minutes)
FOX - Masterchefs Junior
NBC - Dateline NBC
CW  - Whose Line Is It Anyway? (30 Minute) Encore repeat of Whose Line Is It Anyway? (also 30 minutes)

CBS has done well in recent years on Friday nights, and with this sort pf scheduling on Friday nights, its not hard to see why. Undercover Boss has does well this past year and a half in that time slot. That would be good news for TAR, which has spent years fighting off shows like Extreme Makeover Home Edition, Desperate Housewives, Once Upon A Time and Sunday Night Football.

As to returning player editions, I've always had the impression that has been more of a CBS thing that a Elise-Bertram thing, and Moonves and Tellum have traditionally always been directly involved in final casting on TAR.
-- theschnauzers

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2014, 11:24:24 AM »
I would follow TAR anywhere it moves.  I think this is a good move,  but we will see.  As far as this season is concerned,  I AM LOVING IT....  I do so love to watch the cowboys,  and the Globetrotters are hilarious.  And believe it or not,  I am becoming a Brenchal fan....lol....I give TAR and A+ for this season.....lol

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »
At least there is no more sports overrun to deal with, and less pressure for ratings. It just seemed like the competition just got a lot tougher on Sundays, and the sports overruns, make it compete not only for one, but 2 time slots. And not just the major networks, but cable has proven to be competition as well.

I think the show will be fine on Fridays. The other networks may struggle on Friday, but not CBS. And they will reach 30 before you know it.

But please, no more All-Star seasons! This was the first time I would rather watch Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown than TAR to get my travel show fix, as this season just got more annoying.

Offline lumimoo

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2014, 02:10:28 PM »
From a whole network basis, I can kind of see this move because I feel like a new show would be successful in the Sunday timeslot rather than the Friday timeslot, so the network is trying to the best across the board.

I also feel like The Amazing Race does not get many fans from a younger crowd (just my opinion, IDK if it is true) and that many viewers are real big TAR fans and are likely to follow the whole season, no matter what day it is on. So I feel that CBS does not think that TAR will lose too many viewers

TAR was the youngest skewing primetime CBS Sunday show, I can guarantee nothing CBS puts on Sunday will get anywhere near the 18-49 number it pulls.

I think this new show that has taken TARs slot will struggle to hit 1.5 once its settled, it may even hit a 1.4. CBS will look long and hard at their schedule and will wonder if its worth having it there.

Looking at their schedule, it'll be an old skewing night now. I'm hoping Madam Secretary flops hard and is canceled so TAR gets the old slot back.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »
Looking at their schedule, it'll be an old skewing night now. I'm hoping Madam Secretary flops hard and is canceled so TAR gets the old slot back.
This brings up an interesting idea. What if TAR is starting out the season on Friday but moves to a new timeslot if one of CBS's new shows gets canceled.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »
CBS put Madam Secretary where it did because from their point of view, it pairs up well with The Good Wife. They have three shows on the shelf for mid-season; CSI:Cyber, The Mentalist, and Battle Creek. CSI:Cyber is currently scheduled to take the Sunday at 10pm time slot to be held by CSI, but who knows what they will do.

CBS is planning to have two seasons of TAR with the Undercover Boss season in between them. (Which fits because UB has difficulty filming more than 13 episodes a season due to the way that show is structured (A week of undercovering is actually more than that, because the logistics between cities otherwise doesn't work.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »
Fridays is better for me. Perhaps CBS is aiming to disprove the Friday death slot.
Some shows busted it in the 70's, it became date night in.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2014, 09:35:08 AM »
I know CBS has already ordered 25 and 26 but I'm almost afraid to find out how much cheaper they can get in the name of budgeting.

Has S26 been ordered? I thought only one season (S25) has been ordered.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2014, 03:39:35 PM »
After reading every single word on each post in this thread, everyone has indirectly taught me how — not only to become a lot more hopeful in the spirit of TAR — to be more optimistic about sudden events. I'm simply praying for Jerry Bruckheimer and his colleagues to get their best treats together by comprehending and really focus on what made TAR win nine Emmy Awards in a row and become a #1 hit during its 11-million-viewers golden age.

Onto the time slot change... earlier today, I made a poor, pessimistic choice by subconsciously freaking out about the change in schedule to what is known as a "show cemetery". After reading this thread, I thought, hey, it's the AUTUMN season, the birth of many hit comedies and cop dramas. They have to make room for new shows to be seen after the local news or Wheel of Fortune and whatnot since that's the key time slot for those shows to be seen. I have no problem on watching TAR on Fridays (some will disagree), and I'll check out Madam Secretary just to see how high it will rank on watchability since I confess, I enjoy The Mentalist on Sundays too. :-[

For this change, TAR will need to have a notable rise in ratings from 0.3 to even beating The Walking Dead, if possible, for the show to earn back the Sunday slot after 60 Minutes, and I cross my fingers tightly to hope TAR can pull this off. TAR's one of the reasons why I love exploring, traveling, and go adventure seeking around the U.S. now.

Now let's start popping our kettle corn and try (as hard as it may be to anyone) to cheer for the final three teams in tonight's Las Vegas finale. :hoot:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2014, 03:54:12 PM »
Don't know where else to put this, but I did a ten-second research of Madam Secretary. Despite it being directed by Morgan Freeman, I think the show may garner up enough controversy because it's tailored with political biases that not many people hold to their preferences. I don't want to jeer the show because nobody has even seen the pilot and that would be extremely judgmental, but I feel TAR has fuel in their tank to outwit, outlast, and outplay (Survivor reference 101 :funny:) this new show style.
http://www.vulture.com/m/2014/01/tea-leoni-to-star-in-cbss-madam-secretary.html
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »

Has S26 been ordered? I thought only one season (S25) has been ordered.
Unlike Survivor, they never specifically say they've ordered two seasons.   It's always "TAR is renewed for next season."  So it's never clear until they're actually Racing in November for the Spring edition.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2014, 05:12:54 PM »
Don't know where else to put this, but I did a ten-second research of Madam Secretary. Despite it being directed by Morgan Freeman, I think the show may garner up enough controversy because it's tailored with political biases that not many people hold to their preferences. I don't want to jeer the show because nobody has even seen the pilot and that would be extremely judgmental, but I feel TAR has fuel in their tank to outwit, outlast, and outplay (Survivor reference 101 :funny:) this new show style.
http://www.vulture.com/m/2014/01/tea-leoni-to-star-in-cbss-madam-secretary.html

The trailer felt like a Scandal ripoff though :P

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2014, 06:47:51 PM »
I've got to say, I sort of saw this coming with the low ratings for All Stars. I hope that this is the kick in the butt that the producers needed to produce a great season of TAR and that they learn the lessons on went wrong, If they don't. I shudder to think what could happen.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »
And they should do what was success from TAR 17, TAR 12-14 TAR 5-7.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2014, 06:53:24 PM »
And they should do what was success from TAR 17, TAR 12-14 TAR 5-7.

Don't forget TAR10 with it's amazing route.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline lumimoo

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »
CBS put Madam Secretary where it did because from their point of view, it pairs up well with The Good Wife. They have three shows on the shelf for mid-season; CSI:Cyber, The Mentalist, and Battle Creek. CSI:Cyber is currently scheduled to take the Sunday at 10pm time slot to be held by CSI, but who knows what they will do.

CBS is planning to have two seasons of TAR with the Undercover Boss season in between them. (Which fits because UB has difficulty filming more than 13 episodes a season due to the way that show is structured (A week of undercovering is actually more than that, because the logistics between cities otherwise doesn't work.)

Sunday has been more of a syndication farm for CBS to get some shows they own to syndication. I seriously doubt The Good Wife will be around for much longer, it's rates a fair bit lower in the 18-49 than TAR. It certainly won't be around long enough to get Madam Secretary to 88 episodes.

Even though the show has hit a rough patch, pulling a 1.7-2.0 without a football inflated lead in(60 minutes)(When football has been on) is a fantastic achievement for TAR, they won't get anything close to this again.

Consistently TAR has been the top rated primetime show on Sunday on CBS for so many years. Moving it is an incredibly bad move. Especially as The Good Wife and shows around it are old skewing.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2014, 07:59:32 PM »
I've got to say, I sort of saw this coming with the low ratings for All Stars. I hope that this is the kick in the butt that the producers needed to produce a great season of TAR and that they learn the lessons on went wrong, If they don't. I shudder to think what could happen.

In my reminiscence all-star versions of TAR seem to be always low in ratings...
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2014, 08:03:45 PM »

In my reminiscence all-star versions of TAR seem to be always low in ratings...

that and the ratings have been steadily decreasing for the past 9 seasons.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Magnus

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2014, 08:06:21 PM »
It's nice that it will not be affected by football delays anymore at least

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2014, 08:06:44 PM »

That is a plus yes xD
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »

That is a plus yes xD
Agreed.

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2014, 06:47:26 PM »
So, Phil mentioned on twitter how one of the reason CBS was moving S25 to Friday Night is that they wanted to get to younger viewers, he mentioned how they get messages of people around 15-25 years, and how they are unable to watch it because of school or work of monday morning...

I wonder if this will be a factor during the casting process... maybe getting younger racers so people can relate to them?  ???

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2014, 07:14:56 PM »
So, Phil mentioned on twitter how one of the reason CBS was moving S25 to Friday Night is that they wanted to get to younger viewers, he mentioned how they get messages of people around 15-25 years, and how they are unable to watch it because of school or work of monday morning...

I wonder if this will be a factor during the casting process... maybe getting younger racers so people can relate to them?  ???
Younger and more like average people AKA Justin & Jennifer or Kami & Karli style.

Offline APABLD

• RFF Jr. Member
    • adouangchak YouTube
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2014, 10:34:16 PM »
This is going to be a very strange move for me. I live in Australia, so I usually watch an episode online after it airs in the US. Instead of watching it Monday afternoon, I'll be watching it Saturday afternoon. Not too bad- great way to start the weekend.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2014, 01:59:43 AM »
This is going to be a very strange move for me. I live in Australia, so I usually watch an episode online after it airs in the US. Instead of watching it Monday afternoon, I'll be watching it Saturday afternoon. Not too bad- great way to start the weekend.
Forget Saturday afternoon, try Saturday morning live from the US.

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »

I'm the same, I'm in the UK and I watch it on a Monday afternoon along with The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, but now it's just gonna feel strange watching it on a Saturday, along with the fact that I don't usually have much spare time at the weekend.   :groan:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2014, 07:33:40 AM »

I thought young people would dine out on Friday night and they'd not watch TV by then...
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2014, 09:09:47 AM »

I thought young people would dine out on Friday night and they'd not watch TV by then...

I'm a young person (22), and although I watch the race religiously, I consider Friday nights one of my social nights out.  And I think the majority of young people would feel the same.
With all the different ways of being able to watch the race on Saturday E.g. CBS website for those in America, Streaming Websites, or even Youtube... They'll find some way of watching it so I don't think they'll mind missing it on the Friday night if they know there's plenty of ways on seeing on Saturday.

Anyway, my point is, I think Sunday nights were perfect! Even with all the delays.  :(
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2014, 06:01:20 PM »
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! Last year, they move Five-O to Fridays. This year, they move Amazing Race to Fridays? That's 2 bad decisions in back to back years, CBS! Amazing Race was doing just fine on Sundays! Why mess with it?
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

-Theme song from 'Full House' (1987-1995)

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2014, 06:33:38 PM »
The answer to ALL of your problems is: "Because of TAR24".