Author Topic: TAR 24 East Coast EP 8 SHOW updates and commentary **Please read the rules**  (Read 31613 times)

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
In retrospect, The Cowboys misplayed their Express Pass in this episode.  The should have seen how quickly they could have done a Detour before handing over the Express Pass.  I would have liked to see them ride the donkeys (and they could have easily done the build a donkey task).  The Roadblock seemed like it took longer.

What I found even more interesting, is that neither one of the Cowboys second guessed the timing of their Express Pass use.

They were afraid of the W-turn and they wanted to go to that board as soon as possible.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
In retrospect, The Cowboys misplayed their Express Pass in this episode.  The should have seen how quickly they could have done a Detour before handing over the Express Pass.  I would have liked to see them ride the donkeys (and they could have easily done the build a donkey task).  The Roadblock seemed like it took longer.

What I found even more interesting, is that neither one of the Cowboys second guessed the timing of their Express Pass use.
Well perhaps they just had decided that amongst each other and I think it's a pretty good strategy - I figure they really didn't want to get U-Turned (why do some people call them W-Turns?.. ???), so getting done with the detour ASAP was a good strategy. Like, they really couldn't know how long the RB was going to take, so I would also prefer not to gamble if I were them ;)

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
(why do some people call them W-Turns?.. ???)

W = sounds like double U - short for double U-turn

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
I wonder how that could've happened..? I mean, every time the teams got their next clue, they said "proceed to [location]". So if it is all so coherent, you can't just insert a RI in or out. Does anyone get what I'm saying? :funny:
I think it was between the U-Turn and the RB. When Brenchel opened their clue, it went straight to voiceover. They must have gone to the well then.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
Well, I like this leg a lot, with beautiful scenery, self-driving and drama, this is what a classic TAR episode should be. No wonder CaroJen said "Amazing Race Again" as they also realised there's no self-driving elements so far!! I really hope producers can get back moreself-driving like 3-4 legs in a season again.

I understand the Dave/Connor hate by causal viewers, but I don't think they're bad. Dave should have held his temper but sometimes people can really get mad with this kind of things. Maybe he thinks he's nice to everyone so not expected to be u-turn, or he thinks cowboys should be the target as they got the express pass. Anyway I am ok with Dave's reaction so far, Connor on the other hand handled quite well. Also, I think they deserved some credit for figuring out the wooden toy trick, I am sure no one except cowboys could have figured that out, it showed them really reading the clue and used their brains. As soon as FT/BE chose to do this, I am 100% sure they could not figure that out!

Strategically Brenchel is doing right to u-turn Dave/Connor, but it seems Brendon starts being arrogant now and I don't really like that, Rachel on the other hand took the blame for the u-turn while this was not her decision lol

Though many people hate Dave/Connor now, I think it speaks a lot for them when all other teams (cowboys, CaroJen, Leo/Jamal) are nice to them and showed sympathy for them being u-turned. Leo/Jamal even were not mad at them, so I think Dave/Connor must be really nice to everyone.

I agree with other posters here that there should be less helping each other, but sometimes it's a bit difficult because as we see in this leg the situation just made people hard to reject getting/offering help? It's obvious that the help could benefit both sides (for D/C and L/J detour and D/C and C/J driving direction), and so funny that D/C keep seeing C/J even they were not always in same place, C/J are really lucky to be honest.

Happy that FT/BE finally gone. I don't like them being back again from the start and they did really poorly this season as well, and a RB like this would definitely kick them out of the game.

So interested to see what the final 3 alliance turns out! I think we are due to have some drama this season! So far I am ok for anyone winning except Brenchel, they are not bad but I prefer other 4 teams more.

I think I'm on the opposite side of the fence of the very vocal group in this thread. I completely agree with everything you've said, especially about being happy the Globetrotters are FINALLY gone! :wohoo:

Now all that's left is to eliminate Jet & Cord and Caroline & Jennifer and we could actually have a somewhat-deserving Final 3. The otherwise awful season could potentially be redeemed. :yess:

Still sad that John & Jessica couldn't make it this far though. :'(
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City

I had the same thought. I think the Cowboys could do both sides of the detour before Rachel did the RB. Then they would have had a win for the episode. If they did one of the detours and didn't get U-turned.......then they would have won easy. They just pre-determined their strategy before seeing the latest data.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
This is an easy thing to say retrospectively because we know how difficult each Detour and Roadblock is. If I were the Cowboys, I would have played it the same way because I wanted to avoid being U-Turned and having to waste time doing 2 tasks in the leg rather than just doing 1.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
Just a separate question, I'm a little confused: Didn't Jet and Cord step on the u-turn mat before Dave and Connor? I'm thinking back to TAR18 when Kent and Vyxsin u-turned Jaime and Cara. So since they stepped on first, shouldn't they have had first pick and not have to worry about being u-turned?  ???

Connor is the first to reach the board.

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly

The Cowboys had to use the Express Pass on this leg, and they had already decided to use it to pass by the Detour. It would not have made sense for Dave-Connor to U-Turn the Cowboys at that point, and since the Cowboys had not chosen an Detour choice, how would anyone have known what the "other task" would have been. It also seems to me that Dave-Connor and Jet-Cord essentially reached the U-Turn board as a group, and since Dave-Connor had already been U-Turned by Brendon-Rachel, Dave-Connor wouldn't had gained any time over the Cowboys by U-Turning them; they could gain time by U-Turning Leo-Jamal heading to the roadblock.
I am impressed that some of the team members got the roadblock task done on the first try by taking their time, and Rachel who supposedly had some skill that helped with the task, had to do it a second time. We don't know about the Globetrotters by IIRC, the other teams seem to have completed the Roadblock by the second attempt.
-- theschnauzers

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
This episode was great, friendships were tested, bonds were formed, and enemy lines were drawn.

The Double U-Turn: Brendon & Rachel did have a broken logic as they discussed about targeting Dave & Connor or Jet & Cord. However, they made the bold choice of U-Turning the father & son just to get first place. It shows that they are playing to get firsts on every leg, and not just to survive. It's good that the competitiveness shift started, but you never want to be the first team to shift in a season were teams are friendly to each other.

Dave & Connor arrived at the board and U-Turned Leo & Jamal, which is a great move so they could gain time on a team far behind them, which they thought too. But upon seeing the Afghanimals, they immediately what? Felt guilty? Be friends or be cutthroat, but you can't be both at the same time! Good thing, that things turned out fine since the Globetrotters were far behind.

Speaking of the Afghanimals, they do seem to have a death touch on teams they help. Natalie & Nadiya and Mark & Mallory on the first two legs, then John & Jessica and Flight Time & Big Easy on the latest two legs.  :funny:

As for Dave & Connor, they have a right to be frustrated and angry at being U-Turned, but Dave could hold a grudge like nobody's business. :res: I guess they expected to be U-turned if one comes up, but not in the context and situation that happened last leg. And now, with Caroline & Jennifer being close friends of them and the Afghanimals as new friends, they're making this silly alliance that would only doom the three of them. They're trying to make Brendon & Rachel the villain out of all of this, but they're only making themselves look the fools, which is sad because I liked Dave & Connor for the Final 3 (even as the winners), but now...  :( We'll just see how this unfolds the next episode.

On other notes, I'm glad that Flight Time & Big Easy were finally eliminated. They got one last hurrah at information leeching at the Spanish Steps (which eliminated the far more likeable Jessica & John :torche ), but after getting lost so much, they didn't catch up with teams that could or would help (or cheat off of) them and got stuck at another puzzle.  :funny:

Honestly, after recently rewatching the original All Stars (the TRUE All Stars season), I prefer the behavior of the teams in S11 than today. I don't know if it's the HD or music or what, but something (something BIG) is just off.  :res:
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
Thanks, gator27, for clearing things up about the "W" Turn, I feel dumb not have figured it out :funny: I would've, had I said it out loud

This is an easy thing to say retrospectively because we know how difficult each Detour and Roadblock is. If I were the Cowboys, I would have played it the same way because I wanted to avoid being U-Turned and having to waste time doing 2 tasks in the leg rather than just doing 1.
That's exactly what I wanted to say :yess: :kuss:

and since the Cowboys had not chosen an Detour choice, how would anyone have known what the "other task" would have been.
Well, actually they have. I mean, it was probably at random or they chose the closer spot, but they handed their EP to the guy that teams were supposed to deliver their loaded donkey to. So technically, they would have to do the Donkey Run detour option had they been U-Turned.

Speaking of the Afghanimals, they do seem to have a death touch on teams they help. Natalie & Nadiya and Mark & Mallory on the first two legs, then John & Jessica and Flight Time & Big Easy on the latest two legs.  :funny:
OMG this is gold :funny: I hadn't thought of it :funny:

And by the way, I think that the producers, or more so the editing team, would NEVER want the viewers to hate (or even dislike) the winners, so I'm thinking it's either Brenchel or Cowboys winning this, but cowboys have been very invisible the last couple of legs so.... I'm really hoping my favourite team that were favourites from pre-race are going to win! :yess: :yess:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:01:52 AM by Marionete »

Offline Nyoman_SB1

• RFF Frantic Poster
DAVE
Season 22: cancer.. cancer.. cancer..  ruptured Achilles.. ruptured achilles..  :'( :'(
Season 24: ruptured achilles.. ruptured achilles.. 60 year old man.. 60 year old man..  :'( :'(

i don't like them on S22, and i don't like them  even more now. If they mention those words again next episode,  I'm going to go nuts. The preview for the next episode makes me mad :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster

The Cowboys had to use the Express Pass on this leg, and they had already decided to use it to pass by the Detour. It would not have made sense for Dave-Connor to U-Turn the Cowboys at that point, and since the Cowboys had not chosen an Detour choice, how would anyone have known what the "other task" would have been. It also seems to me that Dave-Connor and Jet-Cord essentially reached the U-Turn board as a group, and since Dave-Connor had already been U-Turned by Brendon-Rachel, Dave-Connor wouldn't had gained any time over the Cowboys by U-Turning them; they could gain time by U-Turning Leo-Jamal heading to the roadblock.
I am impressed that some of the team members got the roadblock task done on the first try by taking their time, and Rachel who supposedly had some skill that helped with the task, had to do it a second time. We don't know about the Globetrotters by IIRC, the other teams seem to have completed the Roadblock by the second attempt.

I think some people took longer at the Roadblock and the multiple attempts were edited out. I say this because we see the monk judge said to Caroline & Jennifer that it was "better" implying that they had failed before.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
The press photos for this episode said they go to St Patrick's well...

Donkeylicious"--In this Route Marker, Country singers Jennifer (left) and Caroline (right) must travel by Funicular to Orvieto and search for the next clue at St. Patrick's well on the All-Star edition of THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, April 20 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: CBS ©2014 CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
I can understand that the cowboys wanted to get beyond the w-turn ASAP, but it probably wouldn't have hurt for them to make an attempt at the donkey riding challenge first.  I mean, how difficult could that task be for two world-champion bull-riders?  If they got through that, and found they had been u-turned, they could still use the express pass to skip the building task.  If they were not u-turned, they could save it for the road-block.  I think they just assumed any team ahead of them was going to use the u-turn on them if possible, so they were locked in to the idea of using the express pass quickly. 

I don't know what to think of how D/C used the u-turn.  First of all, technically they didn't HAVE to use it, despite what they said to L/J.  It was funny to see these two teams then agreeing to work together on the building challenge, with D/C casting R/B as the villains responsible for the entire w-turn situation.  I suppose it benefited D/C to keep L/J close.

If R/B continue to be cast in the villain role, and targeted by the trio of D/C, L/J, and J/C, I think the cowboys gain an edge going forward.

And yes, if I hear another variation of the expression "Sure, beat a 60-year-old man," yet again, delivered with that sneer of his, I am going to start screaming. :groan:

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
The press photos for this episode said they go to St Patrick's well...

Donkeylicious"--In this Route Marker, Country singers Jennifer (left) and Caroline (right) must travel by Funicular to Orvieto and search for the next clue at St. Patrick's well on the All-Star edition of THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, April 20 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: CBS ©2014 CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved

According to this (http://www.museiprovinciaterni.it/context_musei.jsp?ID_LINK=627&area=47) hours of operation for the well is 10am to 5pm in the winter. We see that when the globetrotters enter the funicular (its exit is very close to the well)  it was already dark and by then visiting hours for the well were already over and so production most likely chose to skip this part.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
It is more likely that their clue directed them to the pit stop at that point, since they were already going to be the last team to check in (the so-called pity clue). It is odd that yet again we are told of a task in the press lit by photographs that don't appear in the episode. Which leaves us with the Mustangs. Or will that be the first clue/task of the next episode? It would be strange, indeed, if a task keyed to a name sponsor this season isn't used.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
I don't really know where to post this: What if the cowboys didn't use the EP for the rest of the leg? (to gain the record of letting the EP expire)
How would people react to this?

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I don't really know where to post this: What if the cowboys didn't use the EP for the rest of the leg? (to gain the record of letting the EP expire)
How would people react to this?

They would still definitely survive the leg, considering Globes arrived at night.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
and since the Cowboys had not chosen an Detour choice, how would anyone have known what the "other task" would have been.
Well, actually they have. I mean, it was probably at random or they chose the closer spot, but they handed their EP to the guy that teams were supposed to deliver their loaded donkey to. So technically, they would have to do the Donkey Run detour option had they been U-Turned.

Well, they did say that they chose to use the EP on the building task so that if they were U-Turned they would only have to do the riding one, so apparently the EP only works to mark only one half of the Detour as complete.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster

I do not think it was random at all that the Cowboys handed the express pass to Guipetto. They assumed they would do better on the donkey riding so if they wanted to get the building task out of the way in case they were U-turned. In hindsight it would probably have been better to save the express pass for the roadblock, but they couldn't know that at the moment.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I think Brendon & Rachel did a strategic mistake with the U-turn. It may have helped them win the leg but I think it lowered their chances of making the final three. They now have at least one team which really dislikes them and there may be another U-turn coming up.

Offline Revived Flame

• RFF Not So Newbie
I thought Dave was both unlikable and ridiculous in this episode. I'm not sure if it's an ego thing but the hypocrisy coming from him was staggering. He clearly thought it was okay to U Turn Leo and Jamal 'through strategy' though the girls, globes were nowhere to be seen. He then spends the rest of the episode hating on Brendon and Rachel for playing their own strategy and U Turning them to try and secure first place. Both teams used what they would call strategy but one team handled it very badly, specifically Dave.

U Turning Leo and Jamal was a useless move anyway, they have a unique talent for getting out of tight spots when U turned and would breeze the tasks.

Kudos to Leo and Jamal for handling it with dignity after being told to their face, Hey guys we've u turned you, Dave could learn something from them.

Point being Dave had no right to be so judgmental when they u turned someone too, it clearly hurt his ego being u turned you could see that.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
 :hello2:, Revived Flame!  :welcome2: to the R.F.F.!
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Revived Flame

• RFF Not So Newbie
Thankyou and sorry for the negative opinion. I just found Dave to be irritating in this episode.

Connor was okay though.