Author Topic: Our friend Vitoko safe with family in secure area after 8M earthquake in Iquique  (Read 5756 times)

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
I have contacted Vitoko, who told me that he and his family are safe and in a secure area after the Iquique earthquake and following tsunami warning. #PrayForChile

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Good to know he's safe :)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Oh thank you SO much!! Have been so worried...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
Good to know. Hopefully the damage wasn't too serous (but I doubt that considering it was a 8m)

MrDeerShank

That's great to hear - hoping him and his family's stay safe

Offline aryanisetiawan

• RFF Jr. Member
OMG thank god he's OK, kinda have been thinking about him. :D

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
Thank you guys so much for your concern, I can't believe the messages I'm reading here.

There is damage in the city, rocks fell on the way to Alto Hospicio, and the ships on Muelle Prat (Roadblock S23 Leg 1) got hit with a wave so there's a lot of damage there.

Personally I didn't lose anything except for glasses, lamps and minor things that fell from the furniture. The main problem I had last night was that I was alone at home so that was really scary, especially because I knew my mom would worry about me. Thankfully we've been talking about what we would've do in case of anything so we knew we would gather at the stadium. That's when I got the message Xarles sent me, somehow I got 3G there so I answer him via twitter and while we waited there for the alarm to stop so we could go back home I posted here...

Thank you so much guys, especially you Xarles, you are amazing for worrying about it, and actually getting in touch with me, thank you so much.

If there is anything you would like to know let me know, but please be patient.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
Those are good news! Very relieved you and your family are ok.  :kuss:
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Thanks for letting us know that they are safe. This is wonderful news!

:hearts:

The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
YAY! Stay safe and strong! <333

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
Thank you guys so much for your concern, I can't believe the messages I'm reading here.

There is damage in the city, rocks fell on the way to Alto Hospicio, and the ships on Muelle Prat (Roadblock S23 Leg 1) got hit with a wave so there's a lot of damage there.

Personally I didn't lose anything except for glasses, lamps and minor things that fell from the furniture. The main problem I had last night was that I was alone at home so that was really scary, especially because I knew my mom would worry about me. Thankfully we've been talking about what we would've do in case of anything so we knew we would gather at the stadium. That's when I got the message Xarles sent me, somehow I got 3G there so I answer him via twitter and while we waited there for the alarm to stop so we could go back home I posted here...

Thank you so much guys, especially you Xarles, you are amazing for worrying about it, and actually getting in touch with me, thank you so much.

If there is anything you would like to know let me know, but please be patient.

Glad you and your family are safe and there's no major damage to your home!

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
Vitoko <33333

Good job, it is always hard to react properly at those times, and it seems you did perfect.

Also relieved to see it is not a major thing and that you are OK :)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
Stay safe! :)

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I was looking at the US Geological Survey web site http://earthquake.usgs.gov and there have been numerous aftershocks. There was a 7.8 magnitude one just about 30 minutes ago and this one worries me because it was onshore and 23 km south of Iquique while most of the others were west or northwest in the Pacific Ocean. The latest one was smaller but much closer to Iquique so it could have be worse than yesterday. Fortunately, it looks like they build to withstand quakes like this, so hopefully they are OK.

I went through the 7.1 magnitude earthquake in San Francisco in 1989 and I hope I never experience anything greater than that. My thoughts and prayers go out to Vitoko and the people affected by these earthquakes

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
And isn't this week two of these shocks and shakes? Scary thing!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Glad you're okay, Vitoko! Stay safe!

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
Again, I contacted Vitoko tonight after the 7.8M aftershock of which I saw a terrifying vid. He was safe, evacuated at the stadium, waiting for the 2nd tsunami alert in 2 days, to be lifted.

Alert has just been lifted and they are safely on their way back home. Vitoko asked me to share this with you. #PrayForChile

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
Yay. Your safe.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Thanks for the updates Xarles!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
Again, I contacted Vitoko tonight after the 7.8M aftershock of which I saw a terrifying vid. He was safe, evacuated at the stadium, waiting for the 2nd tsunami alert in 2 days, to be lifted.

Alert has just been lifted and they are safely on their way back home. Vitoko asked me to share this with you. #PrayForChile

Thanks for letting us know, Xaries!

Incidentally, when I lived in Pennsylvania (I had to move with my parents to Raleigh to live with a cousin of mine), there was a rather mild earthquake in Virginia which I felt to some degree!  I was taking a nap so I thought maybe I moved my bed enough to cause the shaking that I felt.  When I woke up, I learned about the earthquake.  But that was mild compared to these earthquakes and aftershocks!  I'm glad I never encountered a major earthquake or aftershock!

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
Thank you guys for the concern, I notice some people got worried last night so I asked Xarles t let you guys know I was fine. Thanks agan Xarles! :D

This is getting ridiculous now, I was about to fall sleep last night and then the 7.8 aftershock happened, I'm currently staying with some family members because we are out of electric power and potable water in my house, this worries me because I've heard of people looting empty houses :/

Potable water looks like the main concern right now, we have a bottled water that we've been drinking for a while now, there's been reports of people loosing their homes by the destruction caused by the main earthquake and aftershocks, but as fas I know there is no official number yet, ceilings have fall from some buildings, ZOFRI, our main shopping mall, and thousands of people income is closed and lose 15 million CLP every day because of it, officially 6 people have died between Iquique and Alto Hospicio, two firemen that were helping others, a woman protecting a baby from a falling wall, two from heart attacks, and one woman who fall from a non specified high place while she was trying moving to a safe zone. Ther might be a seventh one but I'm not sure. People have been shot or attacked while protecting their houses from looters taking advantage of the dark and overall situation.

Most people have been so good about evacuating, staying calm, and staying close to their families when needed while they are in the safe areas... others have decided to leave Iquique and stay with family in Alto Hospicio to avoid the possible waves... but there is a lot of routes that because of landslides have been closed down, and the route to Alto Hospicio is been heavily controlled, letting 10 vehicules to come down to iquique, then 10 vehicules go up to Alto Hospicio, then down to Iquique, and so on.

There is report of 300 scaped inmates while they were being transported to a safe area, but one of them while she was coming back to coplete her time told the tv reporters that this was actually encourage by their police guards after one of the jail's wall fall to the ground and that's why almost 200 of them have been slowly coming back on their own.

Military is in charge of controlling the area so there is no looting among other things... Huara, a small town in the desert closed to Iquique got hit really hard and there is a lot of houses on the ground. Pisagua might have been hit by the increased water. We have tons of small towns in the desert but I don't have enough information so say anything. On 2005 there was a 7.8 earthquake focused on Tarapaca desert, especifically Mamiña, reconstruction it's going on since then.

People have doubled or tripled the price on public transportation, bread, bottled water, everything that's usefull really. And only one supermarket is available right now, so there is a line of at least 2 or 3 hours. Same issue with gasoline, hours of line to get a limited amount of gasoline so people can move around.

But you know what, we are fine, calm, organized and under control. We'll go through it, deal with it and comeback to our daily life. :D

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
Glad you're safe there, Vitoko! And God Bless your family there in Chile.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Glad you are safe. :)

One question to the mods, why is this in the spoiler board and not the discussion board?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Mostly because that is what Vitoko reads. :tup: I will move it over soon, thanks!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule: