Author Topic: TAR 24 East Coast EP 3 SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**  (Read 23666 times)

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
The Detour was great because every team had to construct a raft. The tasks are pretty good too. The Roadblock was very underwhelming though. It's one of those tasks where you can't really pass another team (unless you miss the clue like Cord did :lol: )

This is extremely rare but three episodes in, I'm finding myself liking ALL of the all-male teams currently. I usually go for the couples and female teams, but the all-male teams are somehow standing out to me. THOUGH I hate FT/BE's theme music :res: . I don't really mind Dave & Connor's mentions of their last race.. like come on, OF COURSE they'll mention/bring the injury up. The Afghanimals are fun and the Cowboys aren't doing much harm or anything to be offensive.

Other than the guys, Margie & Luke are doing better [so far] this time around. I like Brendon & Rachel, as well as the Country Singers. John & Jessica are just.. there.

Joey was really quiet this time around. Wonder if it's the editing or if he just learned to keep quiet :lol: They were never the best racers and I knew from the beginning they couldn't handle these tougher teams.

Sidenote: Ugh, Rachel had a few quotes that remind me of the older seasons' episode titles for some reason. The episode titles these past few seasons are so boring. "Welcome to the Jungle" isn't entertaining or attention-grabbing. What if the title was "I Don't Think Their Raft Will Work" (Rachel talking abo ut John & Jessica's "raft" :lol: ) or "I Lost The Raft!" :funny:

Offline selfeviction

• RFF Frantic Poster
This leg minus the flights was pretty good. Best episode of the season for me
More like worst episode of the season for me!  :'( :'( :'( </3 </3 </3

Offline WinTar

• RFF Frantic Poster
Second: I don't know if I'm mistaking, but the clue not says that when they finished the detour they have to go river down to give the clue? Dave & Connor go running instead by the raft. I don't know, maybe i'm mistaking, but if i'm not... they had to have a penalty, I think. :/

They went down to the clue giver first and brought the supply back to the chef, then run back again so they did not need to raft again after delivery.
But didn't the clue specifically say that you had to raft back to get your next clue, not run? ???

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
Second: I don't know if I'm mistaking, but the clue not says that when they finished the detour they have to go river down to give the clue? Dave & Connor go running instead by the raft. I don't know, maybe i'm mistaking, but if i'm not... they had to have a penalty, I think. :/

They went down to the clue giver first and brought the supply back to the chef, then run back again so they did not need to raft again after delivery.

Did teams raft back? I find it very strange because with that dangerous flow, I don't think they can raft back but raft forward somewhere. The clue giver might not be in the place where they made the raft.
But didn't the clue specifically say that you had to raft back to get your next clue, not run? ???

Offline WinTar

• RFF Frantic Poster

Did teams raft back? I find it very strange because with that dangerous flow, I don't think they can raft back but raft forward somewhere. The clue giver might not be in the place where they made the raft.
They rafted somewhere after the Detour to get their next clue, but I don't remember Dave & Connor actually rafting after completing the Detour.

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
I don't know but Dave & Connor after seeing the second Detour, they decide to continue rafting down the river, before running back to the chef and then back to their raft, again.

So I assume that they decided to raft to where the clue giver is firstly then finished the delivery, then back to the clue giver. But anyway, we do not really know what happened in this case.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I wonder if the teams got any coaching before they did the rafting or if they had people stationed along the rapids to rescue people if they got into trouble.

I am pretty sure they had lots of people stationed along the rapids. You could see rubber boats in the background in quite a few shots.

/MaF

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
Did anyone else notice that during the episode, Margie & Luke said they lost the crosspiece and some rope on their raft, and then later Brendon found the same things to fix theirs? Maybe it was just a coincidence, but maybe :))
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I was disappointed in the 3 hour time difference between flights as well. It made it nearly impossible for one of the teams on the earlier flight to be eliminated. If it is true, as we have speculated a while back, that this was a hastily arranged pair of legs to replace ones in the Philippines, then it may be that these flights were the best they could arrange on short notice. The fact that they provided flights rather than let teams find them on their own may point to it being a change in plans.

My take on arranged flights is a bit different.  Because of the destination, I speculate that there are few flights to the region.  Thus, by arranging flights for the teams, they prevented one (or more) Team from getting really far behind (like 24 hr behind because they could not get a timely flight).  I would have preferred more Teams on the second flight vs. the first flight.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I wonder if the teams got any coaching before they did the rafting or if they had people stationed along the rapids to rescue people if they got into trouble.

I am pretty sure they had lots of people stationed along the rapids. You could see rubber boats in the background in quite a few shots.

/MaF

Thanks. I didn't notice the rubber boats, but I knew they had to have lots of precautions. There is no way they were going to take a chance of having someone drown.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Can I say, when Dave and Connor abandoned their raft, and then ran back to deliver their items, should they have ran all the way back and used the raft to go all the way down the river?

Was there some sort of penalty that should be given for incorrect completion of task. Imagine if it's a really meandering river, that would mean that if they actually WALKED instead of RAFTED down the river, they could have saved so much more time because it all seemed really near? They missed three bridges and are still able to walk ALL the way back showing that it's completely in walking distance for the river Detour tasks?

Anyone has the clue image of the Detour? It just seems puzzling to me that they were able to go 4th to 1st on foot.. and we all know that sometimes road travel is faster than water travel.

I certainly hope that did not happen.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
I relooked the scene and Dave and Connor ran down on land to the man handing out the Detour completion clue, while the others arrived on RAFT.

When Leo and Jamal received their clue, they said "CONTINUE DOWN THE RIVER", which they were already using raft at that time so the clue would naturally mean to use the raft. So if Dave and Connor ended up running down instead (which now it seems like), then that isn't really fair? If the Cowboys, Margie and Luke or Leo and Jamal were to run instead of rafted down, they would have been before Dave and Connor.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
PS: I wish they stop trying really hard to show a negative side of Luke this season?

First leg we see Margie saying that Luke held his hand and run and she can't do it because he's fast and she's not (trying to show that he's inconsiderate).

Second leg the only memorable thing I remembered about Luke was how Luke refused to listen to his mom right at the start when he just sent a taxi driver off and Margie was like let me talk to him.

This leg they were relatively not shown and then at the end of the episode, we got reminded how Luke's really breaking under pressure.

:res:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
I expect production calculated exactly what Dave and Connor could do. They may have actually gone FURTHER.

And I love Luke, but we all know that he does becomes frustrated easily...surfboards, tea, and now bartending. Handling these frustrating tasks more calmly would have helped him enormously....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
But how did they just go from 4th to 1st? It just doesn't make sense. Suddenly it becomes an American Idol edit this season. :funny:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
I don't know how you get 4th.......they were in 1st the whole way to me, after Cord had to redo the waterfall.
Matthew 7:15

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
I don't know how you get 4th.......they were in 1st the whole way to me, after Cord had to redo the waterfall.

4th team to meet the chef in the pond, that's what he meant

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
I call this the wet leg, waterfall, river, and rain. I thought the rafting was difficult and scary.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE

Weren't they 4th to complete the Detour? Then the next moment, they were 1st to receive their next clue... while the other teams were slowly cruising down the river?

Offline WinTar

• RFF Frantic Poster
They were 4th to complete the Detour, but they were running to get their next clue instead of rafting back.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
I think there's been some misinterpretation of what Dave-Connor did. They overshot the mid-point where they were supposed to stop in the raft to deliver the supplies, and then go back to the raft to continue downstream to where the clue giver was.
They went to where the clue giver was, then carried the supplies back on foot to the midpoint to deliver them, and then went back to where they had left the raft. If they still needed to go further to get to the clue giver, then the editing implies that they did so.
They don't get a penalty if they were supposed to because the amount of time they lost having to carry the supplies on foot back to that mid point and then return on foot to their raft downstream is the penalty in and of itself; there was no need to impose one. They did reach all the points they needed to reach on the detour and had they not done so, then they would have been sent back by Phil or by the clue giver to do so.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
The question is, what if going on foot is actually faster?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
Well I guess we see the detour differently.

To me, the detour involved constructing a raft and floating from Point A (the start of the float) to Point B (the end of the float). Along the way, teams had their choice of two tasks. Either deliver food to a village chief or hunt birds with a blowpipe. When teams finished their choice of tasks, they were given a "chit" to show they had completed one of the taks. At the end of the detour, they gave the "chit" to the man at the end of the float. Arrival at the end of the float with "chit"signified the end/completion of the detour and teams then received the next clue for the next part of the leg.

Dave and Connor may very well have been 4th to complete the deliver task, BUT they had already completed the float portion since they went all the way to the end. Then they carried their food delivery over land to complete their task. Leo/Jamal and Margie/Luke had to take time to repair their rafts, before completing the float portion. After the delivery, D/C got their "chit" and returned overland to get next clue. As we saw, they were the 1st team to finish the detour and get the next clue to the pit stop.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City

I doubt it was faster, but D/C did not have to stop to repair their raft. Plus they really hustled on the overland portion.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE

I doubt it was faster, but D/C did not have to stop to repair their raft. Plus they really hustled on the overland portion.

To be honest, D/C didn't complete the entire course of the journey..? I went back to repeat the clip at 19 minutes into the show and that guy at the end of the float was no where to be seen when they actually stopped rafting and went on land to travel back to deliver their goods. So, if they actually found somewhere to stop soon after they saw that they were already at the blowpipe option, then they did not complete the entire course of the river?

My concern here is then, shouldn't they not go back to their raft after delivering, and continue down the course of the river to meet the guy at the end of the whole journey by rafting but not on foot?

And you're right, they did not have to repair their raft which may have been destroyed by the rapids if they had to use the raft to complete the entire remaining course?