Author Topic: TAR 24 East Coast EP 1 SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**  (Read 24138 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
They spent more time at the start line than usual. Having just a roadblock is the norm.

I thought a Double Roadblock was the norm in leg 1.

Not always. It depends on what else is planned during the season. But the finish order was determined by the arrival order at the Roadblock, as it turns out. However, quite a few teams didn't handle finding the three wedding dress shops task very well, and then the Canton Tower task scrambled team order up a little more.

The Cowboys, to their credit, continue to show an ability to complete tasks quickly. What they seem to have improved upon is getting directions as they knew to take the metro to the first clue, and arrived before the three other teams on the first flight, And knowing they knew where they had to go for the wedding dress shop task, they kust let those teams pass them by and went on their way. Very smart gameplay.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Twinniegoddesses :( A disastrous start to a disastrous season.

Offline Spitty2013

• RFF Not So Newbie
Those twins...they trainwrecked pretty hard that leg with all of the arguing. I was glad to see that the Afghanimals ditched them (it definitely worked in their favor).

And I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that felt that the leg was "rushed" in a way. I was expecting that Roadblock to be harder than it was. And the Cowboys won the 2 EPs...I just can't handle this (although I did know this from the spoilers). If we're lucky, it gets burned at a U-Turn (as in, they're on the receiving end of one).

I was also surprised to see that Meghan and Jessica actually spoke that leg, considering that they were just "there" on S22.

When compared to last season's premiere, this leg really didn't "click" for me. It's not the best first leg, but it's definitely on one of my top ten least favorite.

Offline GonzaloChileno

• RFF Frantic Poster
John/Jessica & Caroline/Jennifer were not shown performing the Roadblock, right? (altough it was John and Jennifer the ones who completed it, because their partners were at the waiting area) This leg had a really weird editing, some teams got literally no airtime (gladly one of them was the Globetrotters).

I was not sad at all with Natalie & Nadiya's eliminations, they were extremely annoying in this leg.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:00:19 PM by GonzaloChileno (Charla&MirnaLover<3) »
Charla&MirnaLover<3

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
John/Jessica & Caroline/Jennifer were not shown performing the Roadblock, right? (altough it was John and Jennifer the ones who completed it, because their partners were at the waiting area) This leg had a really weird editing, some teams got literally no airtime (gladly one of them was the Globetrotters).

I was not sad at all with Natalie & Nadiya's eliminations, they were extremely annoying in this leg.

I would say if we know which team member was watching the other perform the roadblock, then we know who performed the roadblock.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
worst episode ever

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
I'm so excited for the premiere, I'll probably watch it few days later. #sarcasm #procrastination #doesn'tfeellikeallstars #goingdownhill #disgustedbyfacebookfansupportforcowboys #dontknowwhyglobbiesareevenselectedtocompetetwice #whatisjohnandjessicadoingheresincethisisnotunfinishedbusiness #illratherhaveanormalseasonifthisisthetypeofallstarstheydecidedon #seasonisgoingdownhillwithnextelimination #idontknowwhattosayanymore #kthxbye

Offline a1mamacat

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I gotta cut back on the caffeine!!!
 :conf: :conf: :conf: :conf: :conf:

Thank goodness the spoilers were right, and the "Cringies"  were out first.  I could not take another season of them....

Brenchel seemed to really be enjoying themselves, and 'playing well with others' LOL

Youtube can just go home now, they are so nauseating, and same with the great unseen Expresspass screwups.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Twinniehate :res:

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
I think the leg is OK.
I just hope that the Starting line task is more difficult (hidden clue should take more time than looking the Captain's hat). The Wedding dress shop is great one.
And I think the luck task is so-so because only some first teams need luck, the others just went to the same cabin to have the clue.
The Roadblock is a bit easy so it do not determine any thing.

Offline Zachary

• RFF Sr. Member
  • YESSS THEY ARE!!!!
hey yall... i'm back. it's kinda quiet here I wonder why ...
just watched the premiere ...

boy was that leg a mess or what!!!

first, with the Bopper-Mallory switching as a last minute decision. It seems so fake to me. There's no way that Mark doesn't know that his partner will be Mallory up until at the starting line. They should just introduce the team as Mark & Mallory and leave Bopper out of the picture. Maybe along the way, Mark could mention something about Bopper being unable to participate due to health problem. I bet it's way more believable.

no penalty on the last team in that starting line task? I don't think we even know who's the last team to complete that task. It looks like after the first four teams, Phil just tells all the other teams to go to their car and head to LAX.

the language barrier task was actually not so bad. I just don't understand why does it have to be on the bridal shops? Is Guangzhaou associated with brides or anything? Maybe I missed out when Phil explained it.

the tower task was boring. the only thing that's interesting is the fact that it's the tallest building in China??? and you get to see the city from high above.

the roadblock was a big mess... what the heck was that!!! Although I am surprised that Jennifer (of the Country Singers) was actually the one doing this RB and not Caroline.

I like the fact that all the second flights team managed to catch up. But other than the fact that Afghanimals and The Twins messed up, it's more because all the teams from filght #2 actually took the metro to the shops instead of a taxi, while from flight #1, only The Cowboys did so that's why they had so much lead ahead and why flight #2 could catch up that easy

I honestly was not looking forward to this season by just looking at the cast alone. A couple teams deserve to return but they don't deserve to be put in a season with "All Stars" entitled to it. What, JJ did not use their express pass and that makes them "star" worthy? I mean come on!

However, I'll keep watching ... My money is on Brendon and Rachel right now. It could change. But I just hope they don't break under pressure this time around. (I want to root for M&M but they don't seem like they get along very well as a team yet.)

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
I think Mark and Mallory said that they know each others one night before the race starts in their confessions.

About the Wedding Dress, I don't know how it is related to the city but that place might be famous for Wedding Dress because there are so many shops.

And I don't think Metro and Taxis make too much different because when Twinnies and Afghanimals arrived, Cowboys were still there to find the shop.

Offline Zachary

• RFF Sr. Member
  • YESSS THEY ARE!!!!
oh it must be Afghanimals and Twinnies messing up then ...
it's just The Cowboys seemed so far ahead ... when they switched bubbles there's still no other teams showing up

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Twinnies for All-Stars Three pls <3
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I've been having trouble working up enthusiasm for this season, but I liked the first episode enough that I think I'll end up enjoying the season even though I do not expect it to be one of the better ones. I agree that the episode seemed rushed, but the first ones always do. There's so many teams and so much going on that it always seems superficial. Spending several minutes of valuable air time on Bopper made it worse, but I imagine the producers felt they had to explain how Mark and Mallory were a team. Just dropping them in without saying something would have made people wonder. Besides, I suppose Bopper's sudden illness was a dramatic hook for the start of the season and they used it that way.

I liked the wedding shop search. That clearly showed that some teams were better at thinking the task through and getting help from the locals (or at least attaching themselves to a pack of teams so they didn't fall behind). I wonder if any of the helpful locals were from our Guangzhou team?

I was not as wild about the Canton Tower Ferris wheel task as it was just luck, though it did scramble the order a bit and sunk the Twinnies once and for all. As someone else mentioned above, whoever noticed that the even number cars had the clues and the odd ones didn't was really sharp. I don't think I would have caught that (no surprise there), but I think would have taken a car of a team I saw leaving.

As for doing the somersaults while dangling in the air, that didn't seem to be that difficult aside from being a couple of hundred feet in the air. I'd swear I saw a live sighting back then that said that Natalie or Nadiya (which ever did the somersaults) had a lot of trouble and took a long time to do it. I looked and that sighting isn't in the live sightings thread now, so maybe I'm mistaken. It certainly didn't look like that was the case when we saw her doing the somersaults. However, from the shadows, it looked like late afternoon when they arrived at the pit stop and significantly later than Meghan and Joey.

Is it just me or should we be calling them Flight Time and Bigger Easy? Mr. Easy looks like he's packed on some pounds since last time.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
It's the start of a new TAR season and here's what I can say about the 1st leg:
- Good intro...
- Even if Cowboys and Margie & Luke are a "likable" team, I don't like 3peaters, so I won't be rooting for them. (and I checked the spoilers, what's the point of rooting for a team? :P )
- And maybe this is too late to say for someone who checked the spoilers: I like 2 teams, I don't like 5 teams, and I'm neutral with 4 teams.
- Emotional intro...
- Starting line task! :hearts: With or without the hazard, I'm glad it's back.
- I found this coincidence on Team JJ: During the 1st leg of TAR22, they're the 5th team to get tickets; this season, they still got their tickets in 5th. Here's the difference: In TAR22, the 1st flight had 5 teams on; this season, it only has 4 teams. They were cut-off. :P
- This leg is just a search, luck, easy rb / heights leg. For someone new to TAR, I think they're fine with this. For someone like me, who at least wants to watch a race, I'm okay with this episode. In terms of this leg's tasks, it feels like there's a lot missing. I wish it was a 2-hour premiere.
- rb: Besides being a heights task, it looks easy.
- Canton Tower luck task and Wedding dress shop search simply determined almost everyone's placement in the 1st leg.
- Such a pity the Twinnies followed Country Girls instead of Afghan.
- Twinnies being a total trainwreck this leg. That sure cost them the race, such a pity. When I saw the spoilers, I was surprised. Now I saw the episode, it was partially their fault. Besides that, they bickered a lot this leg. #trainwreck

The first episode is expected to be short and boring, so I'm expecting more in the next episodes.
I also realized, as I watched the episode, I naturally ignored the sucky cast and enjoy the race. :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:59:40 AM by Platrium »

Offline WinTar

• RFF Frantic Poster
I'm okay with this first episode. :) I actually liked the Wedding Shop task since it involved a bit of language barrier, but I feel like the Ferris Wheel task was all about a luck and that the Roadblock was too easy and pointless as it didn't affect the placements of teams at all. :/

Twinnies were so unlucky this leg, starting with the wedding shops. :( But there's just something that this episode had that I really liked that made up for the lackluster tasks that occurred in this leg (as well as this tragic elimination of NaNa :torche).

Offline Hysha

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • TAR - Survivor - BB - Pekín Express <3
At first, my opinion about Caroline & Jennifer was neutral. But now, and after see the preview of the next episode, I don't like anything about these girls... :( I really really really wish that Cowboys don't give to her the Express Pass.  :funny:

The leg was ok. I'm sad for Twinnies, but well... I hope the next leg will be more cool. But now we know there will be problems with Team Kentucky.
#TeamWentworth
Kelley/Ciera/Abi/Kass goddesses

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Just watched the first 12 minutes and nearly wanted to cry when Mallory popped up. That was totally random but so heart warming. #maybethereshopeforthisseasonafterall #butthenwhogetseliminatednext #sigh

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
The other TAR detectives with more direct knowledge can correct me if I;m misremembering, but my understanding was that Mallory was among the alternates who were in LA leading up to the actual start, and as noted by someone (and mentioned in the spoiler thread during filming, Mallory and Mark and their teammates all know each other from charitable events in Kentucky, so the choice made a lot of sense.
What we learned last night was the why of Bopper's replacement. And yes, it did deserve attention and if you go back to prior seasons, TPTB have devoted similar attention in the past to medical problems during filming including Dave's ACL injury in season 22, Bopper's prior injury during filming of his original season, and other before those.
I'm going to resist the temptation to repeat what I've written in earlier posts in this thread but I will add that usually they'll devote more time to the start line task, and the roadblock, but the editing of the episode did directly or inferentially tell us why team order shifted prior to the roadblock; all the roadblock did was pace the teams heading to the pit stop.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
I thought the editing was spot on, and that... the Twinnies deserve to go home. That was a hot mess, quoting them directly. Getting the first flight and then telling Leo and Jamal not to turn in to the right shop, followed by not even checking their ferris wheel compartment. Omg -_-

And... I like Mallory... not Mark. Mark is... another hot mess.

MARGIE AND LUKE <3

Offline nosyrabbit

• RFF Full Member
  • Talk too much.
I'm surprised that I like the first episode. Coming to this season with no expectation because the cast somehow make me enjoy this episode more that I thought I would.

The Wedding Task seems not hard, but it scramble the position. Love it. The Ferris Wheel task is great ventho not really give impack to the position. The roadblock is so so. One thing that made me keep watching is the dynamic of tis first leg. I like when the position keeps changing through the leg :)

Can't wait for the next leg!
Got along without you before I met you, Gonna get along without you now.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
One positive thing I see about M&M randomly pairing up is that producers will see how awful it is to have strangers together in a team and that it will hopefully shut down the idea of ever having a race with teams made of (totally) unrelated people.

On another positive note, even if they were the first boot, the Twinnies served their purpose by feuding with the Afghanimals, albeit for only a couple of minutes.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:06:15 AM by Dånooky »
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
I'm so excited for the premiere, I'll probably watch it few days later. #sarcasm #procrastination #doesn'tfeellikeallstars #goingdownhill #disgustedbyfacebookfansupportforcowboys #dontknowwhyglobbiesareevenselectedtocompetetwice #whatisjohnandjessicadoingheresincethisisnotunfinishedbusiness #illratherhaveanormalseasonifthisisthetypeofallstarstheydecidedon #seasonisgoingdownhillwithnextelimination #idontknowwhattosayanymore #kthxbye

^^^ THIS!!!

Also, on a totally different note, did anyone else feel that Mark & Mallory wern't getting along with each other? I thought it felt awkward or something at times? Especially in the Bubble when Mallory didn't trust Mark about the Stadium!  ???
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Tbh, I haven't watch the episode when I said that. Now that I have... I don't really like the combination of Mark and Mallory. At least Mark. Mark doesn't see that Mallory is doing him a favour, albeit she gets the money perhaps for racing... but honestly, without Mallory he's not even close to racing anywhere.

I'm just wondering, if they indeed had to pull out Mark and Bopper, which would have been the replacement team? :oh :oh :oh