Author Topic: The Greatest Amazing Race Episodes  (Read 11135 times)

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
Re: The Greatest Amazing Race Episodes
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 11:51:33 AM »
Although I feel many people are not liking the current season as much, I feel that episodes 4-7 of season 24 (especially leg 6) have been some of the best HD era episodes.

I agree with Leg 6 being one of the better legs we've seen in a very long time, but I don't really think any other legs from his season, maybe with the exception of Leg 2, were all that great?
Which makes me mad as hell because it is All-Stars after all!  :(
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »
Wow, im surprised how different everyone's opinion is ;)
To me, leg 4 has been the best leg so far this leg, simply because of that detour at skybar. I also thought leg 7 & 6 were very decent, but the others - meh, not really, especially not the China legs. :iok

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 06:32:56 PM »
One of the greatest episodes for me of TAR's rising age (TAR6-TAR10) that always put a smile on my face is the Oman leg from TAR9. The Omani rural landscape is breathtaking and among one of the most unexpected places I wish to visit. The Detour had travel within tasks showcasing what TAR is about. Loved seeing teams loading a camel onto a truck. :funny: The dune digging Roadblock was really creative on the producers' part, plus hiding a few out of over 100 ovens with a lunch wrap is very challenging enough to throw a tantrum. Best of all, the least expecting team to get 1st place, ACTUALLY GET 1ST PLACE!
 :hearts:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifPGPl0F8xA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifPGPl0F8xA</a>
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 06:37:33 PM »
One of the greatest episodes I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned was TAR 6 China 2 leg. It had some breath-taking scenery at the Terracotta warriors museum and on Mount Hua! The roadblock was just spectacular and I'd love for a switchback to that task one day! It would look stunning in HD!
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 06:42:06 PM »
One of my favorite episodes is TAR20 Tanzania 2. I don't know why I loved it so much, mainly it was the epic Brenchel drama, or maybe it was just beautiful in HD, I don't know lol

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2014, 06:54:39 PM »
One of the greatest episodes I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned was TAR 6 China 2 leg. It had some breath-taking scenery at the Terracotta warriors museum and on Mount Hua! The roadblock was just spectacular and I'd love for a switchback to that task one day! It would look stunning in HD!

You forgot Aaron's proposal at the mat  :) .
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2014, 04:42:42 AM »

You forgot Aaron's proposal at the mat  :) .

How could  I forget that great moment! Season 6 is such a under-appreciated season!
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2014, 09:17:04 AM »
One of the greatest episodes for me of TAR's rising age (TAR6-TAR10) that always put a smile on my face is the Oman leg from TAR9. The Omani rural landscape is breathtaking and among one of the most unexpected places I wish to visit. The Detour had travel within tasks showcasing what TAR is about. Loved seeing teams loading a camel onto a truck. :funny: The dune digging Roadblock was really creative on the producers' part, plus hiding a few out of over 100 ovens with a lunch wrap is very challenging enough to throw a tantrum. Best of all, the least expecting team to get 1st place, ACTUALLY GET 1ST PLACE!

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!! This, without doubt, is one of the most unexpected moments I can ever recall on the race!
I'd also go as far as saying Fran & Barry are in my Top 3 Favourite Teams of ALL TIME!  :hearts:  (But that's a discussion for another thread)  :lol:

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2014, 10:38:52 AM »

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!! This, without doubt, is one of the most unexpected moments I can ever recall on the race!
I'd also go as far as saying Fran & Barry are in my Top 3 Favourite Teams of ALL TIME!  :hearts:  (But that's a discussion for another thread)  :lol:

Just want to thank you Rachel, for reminding me of Fran & Barry's win, as it's given me a new Profile Pic!  :funny:   :kuss:   :lol:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2014, 05:30:15 PM »

Just want to thank you Rachel, for reminding me of Fran & Barry's win, as it's given me a new Profile Pic!  :funny:   :kuss:   :lol:
My pleasure to bring back the amazing memories and moments from seasons past. :lol:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2014, 09:38:50 PM »
Every episode up to and including All Stars were all decent, some standouts for sure, but they were all similarly good to watch because they had an Amazing Race vibe that is not really seen in the recent seasons. A huge factor that contributed to all those seasons was self-driving, which we have had a lack of in the last 5 years of TAR. But there are some highlight legs in post All Stars seasons, and for me they were:

TAR14 (Switzerland) - probably the best premiere in Amazing Race history, and I wish every premiere would follow the same format:
1. An awe-inspiring location (the mountain scenery is always a winner)
2. A thrilling, adrenalin-rush challenge (the bungee jump)
3. An entertaining and difficult team challenge (CHEESE!)
I honestly feel like the production in recent seasons has forgotten that this race is made for TV. TV is meant to be entertaining. A lot of challenges in recent seasons are not difficult enough, and they are just straightforward and not fun to watch, regardless of whether they are culturally relevant.

TAR17 (Russia 2) - probably my favourite leg in Amazing Race history. It was set in a superb location with an entertaining Detour which was also difficult, add in a few cryptic clues (I thought the treasure hunt was a great touch and wish they'd do one in every leg) and the Roadblock was standard/difficult, but also culturally relevant. There was constant drama in the leg (taxi trouble) and lots of position shuffling. Almost perfect!

TAR20 (Paraguay) - this leg was in the limelight only because TAR19 was pretty bland. There was flight drama, which stood out only because there wasn't really any real flight drama in the 2 previous seasons. The Detour and Roadblock were devilishly difficult, and lots of position shuffling.

TAR21 (New York City) - my favourite final leg of all time! I wish every finale followed the same format. We got an adrenalin-rush challenge (I believe that every season should START and FINISH with one of these), a somewhat culturally relevant challenge (pizza delivery? I'm not sure, but it was good enough) and the final challenge which should always be memory. I thought the producers had run out of ideas for memory challenges, but this was stellar!

TAR22 (Botswana 2) - as I said, the Russia leg in TAR17 is my favourite of all time, but this is probably the only leg which did have that early Amazing Race vibe that I love to watch and dearly miss. Self-driving was one factor, but in an unexpected country like Botswana? AWESOME! There wasn't even an equaliser in this leg and there was STILL position shuffling (Pam & Winnie going from first to last). The actual challenges were all pretty standard, but due to fumbles by the actual teams, they were so entertaining and the episode had me on the edge of my seat 'til the very last minute. It was truly an amazing episode :)

TAR23 (Chile 2) - did not expect this at all to be a fantastic leg. I really liked the history-related task at the beginning, even though it didn't really contribute anything. I loved the setting of a salt mine for the Detour, which I thought was cool. I'm not really a fan of mid-leg travel but teams were split up so it was okay! And going from the desert to Santiago, for a Roadblock which involved interaction with the locals was really cool. Since this was only leg 2 and we were still getting to know the teams, the tasks helped us get to know them. Woo!

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 09:11:25 AM »
TAR17 (Russia 2) - probably my favourite leg in Amazing Race history. It was set in a superb location with an entertaining Detour which was also difficult, add in a few cryptic clues (I thought the treasure hunt was a great touch and wish they'd do one in every leg) and the Roadblock was standard/difficult, but also culturally relevant. There was constant drama in the leg (taxi trouble) and lots of position shuffling. Almost perfect!
Oh, both of those Russian legs in TAR17 were gold! Definitely my favourite Russian legs ever. :kuss: And I think TAR17 is my favourite season ever, it had so many great people on and the route was so interesting & diverse! I've watched that season twice, but I think I'd like to watch it even again :funny:

Offline Boring Dude

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »
TAR22 (Botswana 2) - as I said, the Russia leg in TAR17 is my favourite of all time, but this is probably the only leg which did have that early Amazing Race vibe that I love to watch and dearly miss. Self-driving was one factor, but in an unexpected country like Botswana? AWESOME! There wasn't even an equaliser in this leg and there was STILL position shuffling (Pam & Winnie going from first to last). The actual challenges were all pretty standard, but due to fumbles by the actual teams, they were so entertaining and the episode had me on the edge of my seat 'til the very last minute. It was truly an amazing episode :)

This was the first episode that I ever saw, and it got me hooked on the show.