Author Topic: TAR 24: Margie O'Donnell & Luke Adams (TAR 14+18) "Mother/Son"  (Read 15143 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 24: Margie O'Donnell & Luke Adams (TAR 14+18) "Mother/Son"
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:34:34 AM »
Margie O’Donnell and Luke Adams

Name: Margie O’Donnell
Hometown: Colorado Springs, Colo.
Previous Seasons: Seasons 14 & 18
Current occupation: RN and Sr. Clinical Research Associate
Describe what you do: I monitor diabetes clinical research trials – new drug clinical trials.
Biggest mistake you made in your previous season: Season 14 we did really well. We never finished lower than 4th place, but on season 18 we made a lot of mistakes.
Most memorable moment from your first Race: Finishing in 1st place on the 1st leg, and Phil “signed” for Luke, “You are team #1.” So emotional.
Favorite place you visited on your first season: Guilin, China – so beautiful. I would love to go back some day.
Why do you want to run the Race again? I keep asking myself that same question, I am 56 now – just for the adventure and the friendships you form.
How have you changed since the last time you competed? The first two times we were on the Race I was single. I got married in 2011 and I think that I am happier now than ever before.
What are you passionate about? My husband, my grandchildren, my job, my free time and vacations.
People would be surprised to learn: I married a man, at age 54, I have known since I was 6 years old.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: Communication is always a challenge in the race. It is almost impossible to communicate when we cannot see each other, so there are situations where we do not communicate very well.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? We really wanted to visit Ireland; my mother’s family is from there and I have always wanted to go.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? Getting to travel with Luke. He was living in Alaska, and then moved to Philadelphia, so I do not get to see him very often.
Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: I will try to be more patient, I have to realize that Luke is a grown man.

Name: Luke Adams
Hometown: Philadelphia, Penn.
Previous Seasons: Seasons 14 & 18
Current occupation: Advancement Associate / Motivational Speaker
Describe what you do: I help secure funding for and raise awareness of The Pennsylvania School for the Deaf through communications and marketing, outreach to the community, and coordination of administrative processes for the Advancement office. I deliver speeches about my life as a Deaf person to organizations, educational institutes and fundraising events across the United States.
Biggest mistake you made in your previous season: Not being able to find the last surfboard in the final challenge on our first season, and not being able to find the tea on our second season!!
Most memorable moment from your first Race: Winning the first leg on our first season!
Favorite place you visited on your first season: Switzerland and Thailand were my favorite places to visit on our first season. Australia was my favorite place to visit on our second season.
Why do you want to run the Race again? To win the million bucks! I had a great time seeing the world with my mom. It was such an incredible experience. I am just so happy that I get to do it with my mom for the third time and to be able to say that we are one of three teams who got to run the Amazing Race three times!
How have you changed since the last time you competed? I stopped drinking tea!
What are you passionate about? I am passionate about community involvement, in both the Deaf community and the LGBT community. I believe promoting outreach and raising awareness is vital.
People would be surprised to learn: I lived in Alaska for almost a year. It's one of the best experiences I ever had.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: I just hope that we don’t have to do any self-driving - it is pretty tough to communicate with each other when one of us is driving and one of us is sitting in the back. Not easy to communicate with each other!
Pet peeve about your teammate: Nothing really bugs me - my mom’s pretty awesome and easy going.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? I’d love to visit Ireland to see where my family came from.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? Making it farther than we did on our second Race, and enjoying the experience with my mom one more time.
Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: No alliances. Run this race on our own

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:09:25 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 24: Margie O'Donnell & Luke Adams (TAR 14+18) "Mother-Son"
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:34:43 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_h_jsw-QRRo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_h_jsw-QRRo</a>
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:13:49 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 24: Margie O'Donnell & Luke Adams (TAR 14+18) "Mother-Son"
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YC1M6UXwOGE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YC1M6UXwOGE</a>
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
Re: TAR 24: Margie O'Donnell & Luke Adams (TAR 14+18) "Mother/Son"
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:26:27 AM »
I loved them in their first season, thought they were kind of personality-less in Unfinished Business. My guess is they got the return call to try and get another strong Parent/Child team in the mix...but honestly, I could think of 5-6 other 3-peats I'd rather see here. Still don't mind them if they end up doing well though!
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 11:32:24 AM »
RIT/NTID alumnus hopes third time is the charm on ‘The Amazing Race’

Luke Adams and his mom, Margie O’Donnell, race around the world for $1 million

Jan. 27, 2014
by Greg Livadas 

RIT/NTID alumnus Luke Adams and his mother, Margie O’Donnell, will be featured a record third time on the popular CBS reality show The Amazing Race when the 24th season kicks off on Feb. 23, the network confirmed Monday.

Adams, who received a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice in 2008, became the first deaf contestant on the show when he and his mother raced around the world in season 14, which aired in 2009. The show features teams that are given clues that take them around the world, often to exotic locations. The teams are confronted with physical and mental tasks to complete to receive additional clues. The last team to check in each week is usually eliminated. The first-place team shares a $1 million prize.

In season 14, Adams slid down a hill in the Alps with a 50-pound wheel of cheese, ran in his underwear in sub-freezing temperatures in Russia, got bitten by a bird in China and carried a pig on a pole in Hawaii. He and his mother made the finals that season and came in third place, winning $10,000.

They were brought back to appear on the 18th season of The Amazing Race, featuring previous contestants who had “unfinished business.” They finished in eighth place.

CBS said the 11 teams for this all-star season were “some of the most memorable duos.” If they don’t get eliminated, teams will travel through four continents and nine countries, spanning more than 35,000 miles. The race will take them on a mission high above the city in Guangzhou, China; rappelling down the roaring rapids of the Kiansom Waterfall in Malaysia; fighting with Gladiators in Rome; and fueling up vehicles in Sri Lanka.

No team has ever appeared on the show more than twice. Adams and O’Donnell are among three that will be in the race for a third time.

“It was a huge surprise. We did not see it coming,” Adams said. “We got the call out of the blue last July. They were like, ‘Hey, do you want to do the race again?’”

Adams works as an advancement associate at the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf in Philadelphia. His mother, a registered nurse, lives in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Adams worked at NTID in the summer of 2009 as a co-director of Orientation Assistants for NTID’s Summer Vestibule Program, which welcomes incoming students to RIT. While here, Adams entertained audiences by talking about his experiences on the show. O’Donnell also visited Luke in Rochester and spoke to parents here about her experience raising a deaf child and sending him off to college.

Adams was named Deaf Person of the Year in 2009 by Deaf Life magazine and appeared on its cover.

On his first appearance on the show, Adams said he hoped to set an example that deaf people can do anything. “A lot of deaf people think you can’t go on TV, or shouldn’t apply to different things,” he said. “I want to give deaf people hope. That’s what I want to do.”

http://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=50500&source=enewsletter&fb_action_ids=10100762299447835&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_ref=.Uufi2QNV8A4.like&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B538234936273686%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.likes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%22.Uufi2QNV8A4.like%22%5D
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:01:46 PM »
<3 Honestly my most favourite team of this entire cast. The only three peaters that are worthy of the return. <3333333

Offline selfeviction

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 07:45:43 PM »
<3 Honestly my most favourite team of this entire cast. The only three peaters that are worthy of the return. <3333333
No

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 12:39:29 AM »

Margie is definitely a firecracker and Luke seems like a total TAR fanatic, which is definitely how they got on the show the first time. But unless they show some more spark and personality than they did in Unfinished, Iiiii'm not going to be sad if they're one of the first couple teams out..
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 12:58:01 AM »
TBH, Margie>>>>>>>>>>Luke.

If I have something nice to say about them, I guess I'll just say they're the least offensive threepeater. Well, at least Margie is.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 01:08:12 AM »
TBH, Margie>>>>>>>>>>Luke.

If I have something nice to say about them, I guess I'll just say they're the least offensive threepeater. Well, at least Margie is.

I gotta say I guess Luke crumbles under stress it seems more than often, but I love this team for their team dynamics and of course, Margie for being the greatest and noble mom in the world. <333 ...and Luke for being one of the most inspiring deaf people on TV these days.

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 01:18:40 AM »
The only threepeating team that I like. Always enjoyed Margie & Luke in TAR 14 and I did like them in TAR 18. They didn't do amazing in the first three legs but did well in China but then came that tea task.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 01:22:51 AM »
At least they're a 3 timer who seems to be excited about racing. Plus Margie looks fierce♥

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 10:27:32 AM »
At least they're a 3 timer who seems to be excited about racing. Plus Margie looks fierce♥

Agreed! The inclusion of the two all guy teams for a third time is annoying for one because they're not even excited and so many other teams would have loved that slot on All-Stars. And secondly, um, not making it very easy for girls to win again, are you CBS? Ratio is 5 all dude teams to 2 lady teams, at least make it 3-3. Ally/Ashley and Nary/Jamie are not pleased, haha.

My only guess for 3-timers is that every other reality show has brought back contestants more than once...so I guess TAR felt like they should try it out. My guess is they won't be doing it in the next All-Stars/Unfinished after fans say "why..."
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Online redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 12:30:16 AM »
Re-activated the fan group I started way back in TAR 14.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/122417060231/

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 09:06:48 AM »
To be honest, had they been on the first flight, I think they would have done even better and maybe even win the leg. <3

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 03:44:59 PM »
I think Brenchel would have got that for running a generally flawless leg.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 04:02:37 AM »

Not to mention Brenchel were totally lucky.

Margie & Luke got a "Try Again" iirc.

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »

Not to mention Brenchel were totally lucky.

Margie & Luke got a "Try Again" iirc.

Very true, I was like "really? Of all teams, Brenchel is the one that gets lucky with a first-flip?"

But I think Margie/Luke did great - it gives you that fuzzy "YAY" feeling when they jump for joy at being in 4th and reacting so positively. Would have been nice to have heard more from each team at the pit stop towards the end - c'mon CBS, it's a Sunday night, doesn't All-Stars deserve to go over an hour by a little bit?
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 04:03:12 PM »
I don't know why, but I have been completely neutral towards them in both TAR14 and UB. I was never rooting against them, well, maybe Luke irritated me sometimes, but idk I was just very netural towards them.
However....
This time round, I suddenly really started to like Margie!! She's so kind, ordinary, sweet and all. :hrt: I still find look annoying at times, but Margie totally makes the team. Behind Mallory (though she's not really a team by herself), Luke & Margie are definitely my favourite three-peaters this season! :) There's just something cute about this team that you can watch very easily.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 12:27:53 AM »
I generally switch between two attitudes toward this team (in a very schizophrenic way):
  • Being very sick of seeing them for a THIRD time. I mean, come on.
  • Loving Margie for how awesomely supportive she is of her son.

I can't at all decide which emotion wins for me right now... :umn:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 08:33:42 AM »
Very mature finish from them. Hope they both go on to do awesome things.
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 01:05:16 AM »
Very mature finish from them. Hope they both go on to do awesome things.

Yep. Honestly, it kind of seemed like they were ready to be done.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 12:15:16 AM »
I wish they were in the final three instead of Dave & Connor. The bionic woman rules!
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 03:30:48 AM »
I wish they were in the final three instead of Dave & Connor. The bionic woman rules!

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 08:41:25 PM »
I just realized that in their picture, Luke is doing Phil's one eyebrow raise thing. (Or at least trying)
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax