Author Topic: TAR 24: John Erck & Jessica Hoel (TAR 22) "Engaged"  (Read 17087 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 24: John Erck & Jessica Hoel (TAR 22) "Engaged"
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »
John Erck and Jessica Hoel

Name: John Erck
Hometown: Mora, Minn.
Previous Seasons: Season 22
Current occupation: iOS Developer (iPhone and iPad apps)
Describe what you do: I use a software application called Xcode and a language called Objective-C to write iPhone and iPad apps.
Biggest mistake you made in your previous season: Failed to use our Express Pass.
Most memorable moment from your first Race: Racing across crazy, cool-colored water in Bora Bora on a jet ski with Jess on the back, in pursuit of a million dollars. Like, literally looking over and thinking “If we can pass those guys over there, we'll be in first place towards a million dollars!” I figure when James Bond is racing across the ocean, at any moment they might yell, "Cut!" but with the Race, it's for real!
Favorite place you visited on your first season: Bora Bora
Why do you want to run the Race again? There's nothing else like it. Even if you could afford to travel the world and had the time to do it you couldn't really replicate the experience. It's traveling and competing and stepping into the unknown and meeting lots of cool new people along the way and racing for a million dollars with your best friend.
How have you changed since the last time you competed? I'd say probably the main difference is the length of my hair. No, but seriously, I think the main difference is that we know what an Express Pass is.
What are you passionate about? I like to write code, surf, drink coffee and hang out with friends and family.
People would be surprised to learn: That Phil really likes my hair this season.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: Locals
Pet peeve about your teammate: She still leaves a trail of bobby pins wherever she goes.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Western Australia, South Africa or Chile. Waves and wildlife.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? For me, it's more about an adventure with Jess than anything else. The filming of the show, the traveling, etc. is a lot of fun and we want to be a part of that again.
Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: Yes. We’re just going to take it one leg at a time.

Name: Jessica Hoel
Hometown: Eden Prairie, Minn.
Previous Seasons: Season 22
Current occupation: Sales
Biggest mistake you made in your previous season: Obviously our Express Pass fail! Oy Vey!
Most memorable moment from your first Race: I loved every part of Bora Bora! My favorite memory was paddling to Phil after FINALLY finding our clue in the sand castles. It was such a rush knowing that we were in first place! I couldn't believe it!
Favorite place you visited on your first season: Definitely Bora Bora!
Why do you want to run the Race again? Well, we still have an Express Pass to use... Kidding! There is nothing that even comes close to The Amazing Race. No matter what place you finish in, you have the opportunity to be a part of something so incredible. We went to amazing countries, met new people and had the chance to compete together for $1 million! It really was priceless.
How have you changed since the last time you competed? We are older, hopefully wiser and we are engaged!
What are you passionate about? Running, travel, adventure!
People would be surprised to learn: We are engaged. We are planning our wedding in October and could really use that million!
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: Language barriers, taxi drivers, me getting tunnel vision and dancing/singing challenges.
Pet peeve about your teammate: He talks to me in computer code language.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Anywhere in Africa. We didn't get a chance to go last season and it looked incredible.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? We want to see as many countries as possible. We were eliminated fairly early last time and we missed out on some cool places. Other than that, we just want to enjoy the adventure together and know that we did our best no matter what place we finish in.
Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: We plan to be more cautious and less competitive. That may sound like a weird plan for a race, but I felt like last time we were always thinking ahead and strategizing for the next challenge. We don't care about getting first on any leg except for the last!

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:56:08 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 24: John Erck & Jessica Hoel (TAR 22) "Engaged"
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:32:10 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UOeuBpOvYSg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UOeuBpOvYSg</a>
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:34:23 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 11:55:19 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_SZUucU0PzU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_SZUucU0PzU</a>
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:29:49 PM »
This is quite literally the most pointless AS returnee that isn't a threepeat. And John's hair looks gross :lol:

Offline nosyrabbit

• RFF Full Member
  • Talk too much.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:39:37 PM »
My early fav in TAR 22 (still fav til the stupidest move they made). Jess looks awesome and John's hair looks so gross.  :tantrum

Hope they made it further in the game. Still one of my early fav this season!  :hrt:
Got along without you before I met you, Gonna get along without you now.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 03:39:41 AM »
I can't believe they are in this "All Star" season, but I kinda like them a bit better based on their vid.

But John's hair is still so WTF worthy :lol:

Offline WinTar

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 07:36:50 AM »
IDK if they were that memorable to be in AS with just the EP incident, but I liked them so I don't mind. :lol:

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 11:24:26 AM »
As someone who just watched every season back to back, John/Jessica were still memorable in my mind. I knew the second they left the mat after the Express Pass incident, they had "All-Stars" written all over them. By no means are the an unstoppable team, they're still weakened to couple squabbles, but Jess being an athletic girl puts her in good standing against the other ladies.

My hair looked like John's in HS, hahaha...but he is an actual surfer so it makes more sense. Jessica is a sweetie though, hoping for a good race for them to at least beat out the 3-peats.
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 12:11:12 PM »
They are like Debbie and Bianca being called back for TAR Allstars 1 because of a mistake made and then the whole world goes WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT? *cues minion*

Disliked John the first time round, wishing that they somehow get another Express Pass and not use it. :P Amanda and Kris got eliminated by yet another U-TURN in a twist of unlucky events and fate. We can only hope.

I'm sorry, I just can't even finish spelling All st

for them.

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 12:58:41 PM »
With the recent elimination, John/Jess move into my top 3 - I'm expecting them to still work alongside Meghan/Joey to an extent, and also expecting both of said teams to have a biiiiit of revenge going on the country girls. They might be from the same season, but were on opposite alliances then. The first episode did well to hide a lot of inter-team mingling and focused mostly on the tasks and not being eliminated first, but I feel like there had to be some tension.
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 02:39:50 PM »
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They were brought back for a reason similar to Zev & Justin in UB, and they ended up redeeming themselves a lot.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline GonzaloChileno

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 09:11:31 AM »
I really liked Jessica during the first leg, she had some fun moments, and it looks like she's the one taking control of the team, which is good, because in my eyes it was John the one who made the Express Pass mistake last time...

Really hope they make it far, since they are one of the most interesting teams among the boring "All Stars".  :groan:
Charla&MirnaLover<3

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 02:12:04 PM »
It's interesting. This season it seems like instead of trying to be at the "front and center" of the Race, they are really trying to stay under the radar. It should be interesting to see how far they go this time around. If they get past Leg 3 will they try to be more "strategic" again? Time will tell.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline nosyrabbit

• RFF Full Member
  • Talk too much.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 05:15:27 AM »
I hope they could make further than 9th place. At least make it to mid point of the race (Leg 6 or 7)
Got along without you before I met you, Gonna get along without you now.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 04:37:08 AM »
They redeemed themselves by a LOT.

I love them this time around!  :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 08:46:31 AM »
Now there HAS to be an equalizer to get them in the mix next leg - I can see them sneaking past the competition if a U-Turn is in play..hehe
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 08:48:40 AM »
Now there HAS to be an equalizer to get them in the mix next leg - I can see them sneaking past the competition if a U-Turn is in play..hehe

I would love to see them actually COMPETE with everyone soon. :P

Even though their raft looked insanely horrible, they paddled through the task with style :lol:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 12:23:48 AM »
I would love to see them actually COMPETE with everyone soon. :P

Me too. I feel like the same teams have been stuck in the back of the pack for far too long now. :P

But I'm definitely rooting for them now! They are so much better when John isn't trying to be over-the-top. :wohoo:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 11:42:37 AM »
I've actually surprised myself, because I REALLY disliked this team on Season 22, and when I heard they were returning I was like -  :groan:  :gaah:  (:;)  :res:  :dick

BUT after the first few Legs I'm actually really enjoying them and really like them this time around.
John's soooooo much more likeable, and his hair is AWESOME!  :funny:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
It's really a pity that they're in the back all because of doing bad on the first leg. I think they are very competitive and let's just hope they get bunched or something and then show what they're made of by winning some legs or at least leading the pack :hrt:
I really liked them the first time around and now they're even better, go team JJ! :lol:

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 12:07:41 PM »
It's really a pity that they're in the back all because of doing bad on the first leg. I think they are very competitive and let's just hope they get bunched or something and then show what they're made of by winning some legs or at least leading the pack :hrt:
I really liked them the first time around and now they're even better, go team JJ! :lol:

If you watch the Globetrotters recap video for leg 4 - (I posted it in the CBS Video Insider Thread) at the end there's a Bonus Clip for tonight's episode and
Show content
all the teams are bunched together and it looks EPIC!  :conf:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 11:36:56 PM »
I really liked them a lot this season! A big improvement over last season and they lasted longer than last time which is good :)
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 11:41:10 PM »
I loved them and with them gone, we have a completely disgusting Final 6 with only three good teams. I can't, I just can't.

J/J :torche

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 03:37:02 AM »
OMG it all really came down to Flight Time having a postcard and John not having it when Leo/Jamal told them the roadblock answer.. :'(
Though I do believe had the Afghanimals been secret with the solution, John would have beaten FT, as the latter didn't know what he was doing... :lol:

By the way, how the heck did the cowboys get to the RB so quickly after getting lost at the same point as JJ..? :( Ghhhhh, and for one half of the episode it seemed like JJ was even going to win the leg.. :hug?:

So sad to see them go. FT & BE are so bottomgoddessing this time, and them or the-again-annoying Afghanimals OR COWBOYS would've been much better boots :tantrum I could see falling in love with JJ even more, had they stayed longer or went all the way.

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 04:57:56 AM »
Maybe Cowboys lost but is not too far from the right place.