Author Topic: TAR 24: David O'Leary & Connor O'Leary (TAR 22) "Father/Son"  (Read 42576 times)

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
Re: TAR 24: David O'Leary & Connor O'Leary (TAR 22) "Father/Son"
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2014, 08:54:59 PM »
Horrible winners. I hope they donate some of their winnings to cancer related charities :P

Well some of it will go to the Mormon church xD
It's Clobbering Time!

Online Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2014, 11:06:42 PM »
 :conf: :conf: :conf: :conf: CONGRATULATION! :conf: :conf: :conf: :conf:

My favourite team won, and my second favourite one came second. I've been waiting too long to see my favourite team of a season win since Unchena&Joy. <3

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2014, 11:41:35 PM »

:conf:CONGRATULATIONS DAVE&CONNOR  :conf:
 :conf: WINNERS OF THE AMAZING RACE ALL-STARS
  :conf:

The first Father/Son team to win The Amazing Race and Congratulations Dave, oldest winner of The Amazing Race. Congratulations on overcoming the Parent/Child curse and the 3rd Leg Winner curse. Well earned Place for this super competitive and supportive team... They really deserved it... I got what I wanted, a poetic victory, Cancer Survivor team that quit on their first season after winning two legs in a row, came back, ran a great race, earning many first places, ended up winning The Amazing Race and the 1.000.000 USD.

:conf: :conf: CONGRATULATIONS :conf: :conf:

Offline Gingerbeasts

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2014, 12:26:56 AM »
Not happy  :res:

Offline WinTar

• RFF Frantic Poster

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2014, 02:47:32 AM »
If they win, this will be the first time my favourite team wins.

They broke Leg 3 winner curse, Car curse and my curse  :<3 :<3 :<3 :<3 :<3

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2014, 08:58:35 AM »
Congrats Dave and Connor!

^^I forgot about the car curse :lol:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »

What's the Car Curse?  ???
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2014, 10:18:07 AM »

If a team won a leg with car prize, they would not win the race. I think Dave & Connor is the first team to break that. I don't know if I miss any older seasons though.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2014, 10:28:38 AM »

If a team won a leg with car prize, they would not win the race. I think Dave & Connor is the first team to break that. I don't know if I miss any older seasons though.

Dave & Rachel won a car TAR20 Leg 6 in Azerbaijan after the Fast Forward and went on to win the race, so no they were not the first ones to break that curse.

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2014, 10:53:15 AM »

Dave & Rachel won a car TAR20 Leg 6 in Azerbaijan after the Fast Forward and went on to win the race, so no they were not the first ones to break that curse.

That's why I said that I don't remember if I miss any from previous seasons

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2014, 09:04:15 PM »
:conf:CONGRATULATIONS DAVE&CONNOR  :conf:
 :conf: WINNERS OF THE AMAZING RACE ALL-STARS
  :conf:

The first Father/Son team to win The Amazing Race and Congratulations Dave, oldest winner of The Amazing Race. Congratulations on overcoming the Parent/Child curse and the 3rd Leg Winner curse. Well earned Place for this super competitive and supportive team... They really deserved it... I got what I wanted, a poetic victory, Cancer Survivor team that quit on their first season after winning two legs in a row, came back, ran a great race, earning many first places, ended up winning The Amazing Race and the 1.000.000 USD.

:conf: :conf: CONGRATULATIONS :conf: :conf:

Yes, I completely agree with you! This was the only team in the whole season I really wanted to root for right from the beginning, and for the first time since Season 9, my favorite team of the season won! I am ecstatic (and feeling quite surprised, to say the least). Congratulations, Dave & Connor! :hoot:

The fact that they won made this whole season (despite its horrible casting and editing) worth it for me to watch. For the first time in a long while, TAR has left me feeling quite satisfied.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:07:43 PM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2014, 09:09:13 AM »
I'm 60 years old, I can't post in this thread because that's a young person thing to do! :)
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2014, 09:20:55 AM »
Sorry but lol.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2014, 11:27:38 AM »
Having had the pleasure of meeting Dave and his wife, I have to say that they are a DELIGHT.

Remember that when you see a comment over and over and over to look at the mouths. Is it in synch? Do you actually SEE the racer saying it? Because editing may "soundbite" one comment made once, and use it again...and again...and again. All we have to go on is the edit the producers give us... but wise viewers  remember that the EDIT may well not reflect the PERSON.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2014, 11:35:47 AM »
I would also point out that not everyone who watches TAR is a die-hard like us. Some of us complained that the same storylines were being forced down our throats every episode (surviving cancer, Dave's injury), but on the other hand, for someone who just happened to be watching CBS at 8PM on a Sunday night, it might have been the first time they ever saw Dave & Connor and heard their story.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline tivo junky

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2014, 02:19:50 PM »
Having had the pleasure of meeting Dave and his wife, I have to say that they are a DELIGHT.

Remember that when you see a comment over and over and over to look at the mouths. Is it in synch? Do you actually SEE the racer saying it? Because editing may "soundbite" one comment made once, and use it again...and again...and again. All we have to go on is the edit the producers give us... but wise viewers  remember that the EDIT may well not reflect the PERSON.

I can't see how you can blame the editors for Dave's juvenile behavior towards Rachel after they were u-turned.  He egged on the formation of a childish alliance against people who were simply playing the game within the rules.  Was mocking her looks a worthy response?  Was it worthy behavior from an older man toward a younger woman?  Then there is the arrogant declaration that Brendan and Rachel weren't "quality people".   I'm sorry but I cannot blame anyone but Dave for this type of behavior.  I was a fan of his before these incidents.

Beyond the childishness, what bothered me most was his refusal to do his fair share of tasks throughout the race.  I first noticed this after his shockingly aggressive refusal to do the calligraphy task.  This event brought me to the realization he was coasting through the race on the sweat of Connor's brow.  I'm very sorry Dave was rewarded with a win.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:40:29 PM by tivo junky »

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2014, 02:58:37 PM »
 :hello2:, tivo junky!  :welcome2: to the R.F.F.!
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2014, 05:56:46 PM »

Winner Interview: Dave & Connor

Posted on May 19, 2014 06:00pm

The winners of The Amazing Race: All-Stars, Dave & Connor, answer fan questions about their time on the Race.

Edwin S.: Why did you feel like Brenchel U-Turning you was such a big deal? It was a race.
Dave:
Edwin, you are right.  In hindsight we made too big a deal of it, but at the time, it seemed like if they wanted to win the race and not just the leg, they would have U-Turned the Cowboys, who were possibly the strongest team on The Race.
Connor: Hey Edwin! To be honest, we probably blew it out of proportion, we realize it was a race, but we just could not understand why they didnt U-Turn the Cowboys. From a strategic standpoint, the Cowboys still had an express pass, so it made the most sense for them to U-Turn them.

Cheryl Z.: What were your thoughts when you saw the box with your partner inside crash to the ground in flames in the roadblock with David Copperfield?
Connor:
Yeah Dad, what did you think?
Dave: I was a little dazed. I had given Connor the keys, watched him fumble through them to unlock himself and then be hoisted into the air on fire.  When he dropped into the ball of flames, I was thinking what just happened and where is my son?  I hoped it was an illusion, and when he ran up dressed as a fire fighter I was really relieved.

Alice J.: I have pulled for Dave and Connor from the first time I saw them (I also just had a grandchild named Connor David!). How has winning changed family life?
Dave:
Congratulations on your grandchild, and I love the name.  First of all, being on the race has been a family event for us and has included my wife, kids and grandkids as well as extended family.  It has been a blast to watch every episode and since the family did not know the outcome of the legs or the race, has been fun for all of us.  It has been a once-in-a-lifetime experience (or maybe twice) that we have loved sharing as a family.
Connor: Alice, Thanks so much, that is so nice of you. We really appreciate all the people that have cheered for us throughout the two seasons we were on the race. It was an amazing experience. Winning hasn't changed family life too much, however, my family has loved sitting down every Sunday, turning on the race, and watching their brother and dad race around the world. It has been a blast for the family!

Curtis J.: Dave, when you jumped from the helicopter did you have any idea what place you were in?
Dave:
I had a pretty good idea because we were circling the Motor Speedway and I did not see anyone else.  Just before jumping I knew we were in first and it was an unbelievable feeling.

Leah L.: If you could have picked the other two teams for the last leg who would it have been?
Dave:
We liked almost every team on The Race. We were so happy that Jen and Caroline were there in the final 3 and if we had not won, would have liked to see them or Leo and Jamal. 
Connor: If I could have picked the two other teams I would have picked the "Accidental Alliance," Leo and Jamal, and the Country Girls. Everyone on the race was great, but we really got along with those two teams really well.

Gina B.: What was your favorite challenge and your least favorite?
Dave:
I loved the fishing Detour in Sri Lanka because it was such a unique experience in such a beautiful place.  Although in hindsight it was a blast, Running With the Ballz in Seville, was pretty intense getting pummeled by rugby players. 
Connor: My favorite challenge was definitely fishing in Sri Lanka. We had to redeem ourselves from our terrible fishing detour in season 22. It was amazing to be out in the Indian Ocean, fishing like the locals. My least favorite was the calligraphy. If you could see my hand writing, you would know that I struggle with penmanship. I cant even read my own writing, so that roadblock was rough.

Glenna H.: Did you think the final leg challenges were too easy? Did you miss the memory challenge?
Dave:
Not sure I would call the final challenges easy, but certainly not as mentally challenging as they could have been.  We were prepared for what we thought could be a metal challenge and we were a little surprised that there wasn't one.  Given the choice between a mental/memorization challenge and seeing Connor have the chance to work with David Copperfield, I take David Copperfield every time.
Connor: I thought it was an amazing final leg. It was extremely intense, and the challenges were unique. I really enjoyed it. I am not sad that there was no memory challenge, however, if there was, my dad and I would have been prepared. We took extremely detailed notes of every single leg.

Julie B.: Congratulations! What's next for both of you?
Dave:
Thanks, we are still kind of in shock.  Certainly a different answer for me than for Connor, but we are looking forward to taking some of the incredible trips we won courtesy of Travelocity, so travel and in my case, more quality time with my 5 kids and 7 grandkids.
Connor: That is a great question! I wish I had a better answer, but to be honest, I am not even positive. I am just finishing up school at the University of Utah, and after school, who knows! Hope I can find something great for the next chapter of my life!
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »
FROM THE CALGARY HERALD:
http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2014/05/20/ruth-myles-dave-and-connor-oleary-talk-about-winning-the-amazing-race-all-stars/

Ruth Myles: Dave and Connor O’Leary talk about winning The Amazing Race All-Stars

Posted by: Ruth Myles - May 20, 2014. 3:12 pm

From the bottom to the top, Dave and Connor O’Leary have run the gambit on The Amazing Race.

After the duo had to drop out of the show’s 22nd season after Dave ruptured his Achilles, the father-and-son team took the top prize two seasons later, winning $1 million after finishing first on The Amazing Race All-Stars.

The cancer survivors (Dave had prostate cancer, Connor testicular) is the first parent-child team to win the competition and Dave, now 59 but 58 during the Race, is the oldest winner. The comeback kids won points with viewers for their straight-forward take on the dramatics that sometimes come with reality TV series. I caught up with them by phone in Utah to talk about their incredible journey.

Question: How does it feel now that you can talk about winning The Amazing Race?
Connor: It’s such a relief. It was so hard keeping it a secret for so long. We told people that we won a trip on the prior season to Thailand. And so we told everybody that we were taking that trip and extending it, making it a little bit longer.
Dave: You know, it’s hard when you have to lie to people. At least you want to have a credible lie.

Q: What was your reaction when you were approached to do All-Stars?
Dave: Honestly, I was shocked. It was maybe just over a year ago, I was seven months into recovery from my Achilles’ surgery. They called and said, ‘How is your Achilles?’ and talked in generalities, then they started getting a little more specific. ‘Do you have sense where this is going?’ and I said, ‘Yes, and we’re in!’ There wasn’t a second thought. We just felt like we wanted a chance to come back and see how far we could really go.
Connor: To be completely honest, I was a little worried at the outset. It’s a year recovery and it was really close to a year when we were called back. I definitely wanted us to take it a bit easier this time as far as the running and sprinting goes.

Q: Can you talk about the physical toll running the Race takes on you?
Connor: Before I was on the show, watching it, I would be, ‘Oh, it’s hard, but it can’t be that hard.’ I’m an athlete and I train five, six hours a day on a bike. The amount of pressure and you’re tired and you’re stressed and you’re hungry, it all just accumulates. It is an extremely, extremely physical thing to do the Race.
Dave: The first leg of this season, we landed in Guangzho (China), and honestly, when we were done, I felt like we had run a marathon. There was a lot of running during that leg, especially in that wedding dress district. I bet we ran for 40 minutes trying to find that shop. And then once we got to the tower where we needed to go up and get up into the bubbles, we were running all day. At the end of it, I thought, ‘Holy mackerel, if every leg is like this, I will either be in super shape or it will kill me.’

Q: You said that more than once this Race!
Dave:
Believe me, I felt it more than once. People gave me grief about saying I was old, but with the exception of Margie (O’Donnell) and I guess Mark (Jackson) but they were gone pretty early on, I have kids older than everyone else on the Race.

Q: What was your toughest day on All-Stars?
Connor:
For us, I think it was the leg in England and Wales. We had a really hard day. It was probably the most stressful day we had. We were lost almost all day. It was a frustrating day, for sure.

Q: What was your best, other than winning?
Connor:
I think our best was in Switzerland when we won the cars. It was an awesome day.
Dave: That was really a fun day. And also the day with the first leg in Sri Lanka was such a neat day. To be on that train and fish on those platforms was amazing.

Q: The alliance to oust Brendan and Rachel was a bit of a polarizing factor this season. Can you talk about that?
Connor:
After the U-Turn, we formed an alliance with The Afghanimals and The Country Girls. We just thought, you know, we’re going to try to stick together and make that the final three.

Q: Watching it play back, how do you feel about it now?
Dave:
I will just say from my standpoint I think we really overreacted to being U-Turned. In hindsight, it didn’t hurt us that badly. But it just didn’t make sense. I am a businessman. I try to make logical decision and it didn’t seem like a logical decision to us. We certainly could have U-Turned The Cowboys, but at that point we knew The Cowboys would only have to ride the donkeys and they are world-champion bullriders. How long is it going to take them to do that?

Q: What are the plans for the cash?
Connor:
To be honest, I will probably just save or invest the majority of it. I will definitely give back to cancer research.
Dave: It’s kind of the $64,000 question, or the half-million-dollar question. For me, I will do the same, and I will certainly donate some for cancer research. I’ll be 60 years old this year and I’m thinking of what’s going to happen when I get old enough that I am supposed to retire.

Q: When you’re supposed to slow down?
Dave:
I don’t want that! This might come back to haunt me, but I hope I am going strong until the end.

Q: Dave, how hard was that final challenge? Earlier we saw you on the window-washing scaffold with your face planted firmly toward the building.
Dave:
Oh, it was terrifying. When I got in that helicopter I thought, ‘How am I going to do this?’ But as we got closer to it, I kind of calmed down and thought, ‘I have to do it. I am going to take a lot of deep breaths and try to enjoy it.’ The first few seconds out of the helicopter, I thought, ‘Whoa, this is terrifying!’ but then it was kind of peaceful. You have this beautiful Las Vegas skyline. My stomach went into my throat when the ‘chute opened and I thought, ‘Wow, we’re going to survive!’

Q: The second season of The Amazing Race Canada is in the works. As the winning team, what advice would you give the racers?
Connor:
From the outset, our advice would definitely be read the clue, like everybody says. And the second thing, which is really hard to do, is slow down. We would always rip the clue and take off like chickens with our heads cut off. And then we’d realize, if we just slow down, we probably will make fewer mistakes.
Dave: I think that is really good advice. Frankly, the opportunity we had was to play off each other’s strengths and to try to maximize that. I would advise any team to try to recognize what the strengths and weaknesses of each other are, and maximize those strengths.

Offline Cheesefeet

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2015, 02:29:10 PM »
I know this is not the favorite team for a lot of people but I personally liked this team and thought this article is worth reading

http://www.kutv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Utahn-beats-cancer-wins-Amazing-Race-now-attempting-to-break-epic-record-142493.shtml#.VWoOUJuCOnM

Utahn beats cancer, wins Amazing Race, now attempting to break epic record
Updated: Saturday, May 30, 2015 | Chris Miller

(KUTV) He beat cancer, he won The Amazing Race, now Salt Lake City's Connor O'Leary is off to Canada for life's next big challenge: The Tour Divide.

It's an epic mountain bike trek, known as perhaps the most difficult endurance-cycling race there is.

"You go through some of the most populated grizzly country, you're constantly above 10,000 feet," said Connor, who has been traveling around the world and training, since winning season 24 of The Amazing Race alongside his father, David.

In a few weeks, Connor heads to Canada, to cycle 2,745 miles, across the spine of the Continental Divide. Alone.

"I'll have somebody drop me off in Banff and pick me up in Mexico," he said. "It's making the realization going into it that things will go wrong,"

He'll bike through two countries, five states and will climb more than 200,000 feet. That's like cycling up Mt. Everest -- seven times!

If it sounds tough, consider this: Connor's had tougher. As a 19-year-old, he was diagnosed with testicular cancer, a disease he beat in 2011.

"At some point it's not so much physical as it is mental," he says about the upcoming ride. "I mean waking up, getting on your bike for 16 hours, sleeping for a few and then doing it all over."

Connor is no slouch when it comes to cycling. He's a former member of USA Cycling's  Under-23 National Team and he has an impressive list of cycling victories and accomplishments, but nothing quite like the Tour Divide.

The current record for the Tour Divide is 15 days, 16 hours, 4 minutes. At 23-years-old, Connor intends to beat that time.

"It's a pretty lofty goal, that's over 175 miles a day, but if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it!"

The Tour Divide begins June 12, in Banff, Alberta.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »
I liked Connor, and his story is really moving.

I didn't like the team in the race because 150% screentime of the whole TAR24 was Dave saying stupid things. But Connor was nice and liked racing, and overcoming cancer and doing what he's done is really impressive.

Go Connor <3333