Author Topic: CBS says ‘no’ to smarter, older contestants on reality TV shows  (Read 7635 times)

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
CBS says ‘no’ to smarter, older contestants on reality TV shows
I guess this means I won't be on any CBS shows anytime soon...

Interesting comments from Nina Tassler captured by Globe and Mail reporter John Doyle.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/cbs-says-no-to-smarter-older-contestants-on-reality-tv-shows/article16350764/

This led one TV critic to make a simple suggestion – search out “smarter or older contestants next season.” Tassler didn’t say no, but obviously didn’t like the idea. “I think you always try to look for a disparate group, where you will have conflict, alliances will form. It’s not a science. You go into every season hoping you make the right choices, but sometimes the way they behave in a one-on-one interview is very, very different, and that’s why people watch the show.”

That means “no” and it means “smarter or older” contestants are not the recipe for more viewers watching the show. That knowledge, one supposes, is how CBS got to be number one.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: CBS says ‘no’ to smarter, older contestants on reality TV shows
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:45:46 PM »
Do they actually forget teams like Fran & Barry, Meredith & Gretchen, Bill & Cathi all made the final 5? Mel & Mike season 14 who would've went much further? Or the older middle aged teams like Ken & Tina and Ian & Teri who both won legs and nearly went all the way?

Those types of teams also make for fan favourites. I really don't get why they would be seen as incapable of running the race.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 05:53:19 PM »
Could this be considered discrimination and can CBS get sued for this.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 06:35:50 PM »
If this is the reason why Bill & Cathi aren't on TAR 24.......

:groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:54:08 PM »
I think those comments were regarding BB. I would say Dave fits the older smarter category for TAR...:tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:10 PM »
Yeah, very true. I don't think we have ever had a recent houseguest that was over 40 or 50

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 04:23:09 AM »
Would be weird if they put an old contestant on BB amongst other young ones as well.. they don't stand a chance of winning? Think Dick was the 'oldest' one I can remember. (sorry not a BB fan here)

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 07:58:23 PM »
Yeah, very true. I don't think we have ever had a recent houseguest that was over 40 or 50
I did some quick research and I think the oldest they had on BB was a 75 year old (Jerry from BB10). He came 3rd and won 2 HoH and 2 PoV. So the oldies have just as good of a chance of winning as the young ones.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »
I think there should be a Big Brother discussion section since this isn't really relevant towards TAR. We've seen a lot of smarter (ER doctors Nat & Kat, overachieving Cindy, Amy Diaz) and older (Chuck & Wynona, Bill & Cathi, Rowan & Shane) teams on the race.

Also, this is one of the reasons why I have lost interest in Big Brother altogether. The casting for BB these days are weak and NEEDS the older population to mix in more diversity. (There are also other reasons, but I'm not starting a page-long rant essay.) :tup:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 03:13:03 AM »
I wanna see another older couple soon. :( It'd be interesting to me to have a season with half of the cast being older (at least 50+). :)

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 01:17:44 PM »
I think this is one of the WORST things I've ever heard!  )-**

Some of my all time favourite teams are older couples, e.g Bill & Cathi, Fran & Barry, Bob & Joyce, Terri & Ian
Or teams with one half being older like Nick & Don, Ron & Christina, Mel & Mike, Steve & Allie.. I could go on and on.

I wouldn't really consider Chuck & Wynona an "older" team, as they're not over 50 - to my knowledge  ???  But I did love them too  :hearts:

It's always been amazing watching the older teams out wit, and finish ahead of younger, more athletic teams, there's no way CBS can take this away from us! Is there?  :(

.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 12:52:27 PM »
:bump:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 04:31:25 PM »
Wait...

NO MORE GRANDPARENTS ON TAR??

:furious: :dick :'(

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 04:45:52 PM »
Well this would explain a lot. The only older contestants we've had of late were parents like Sheri and Denise. CBS is out of touch with its fans

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 04:57:35 PM »
Why would they do this. The older contestants are what made the show good. Meredith & Gretchen and Fran & Barry are my favorite grandparent teams. They are also fan favorites. They need to listen to their fans more. Stop casting perfectly fit people onto the race. We want to see unfit people running the race again. While they might not make it far or surprise us like Meredith & Gretchen, they are fun to watch. This is why we have been lacking diversity in teams lately. This needs to stop and the show needs to cast them again

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 05:24:47 PM »
Why would they do this. The older contestants are what made the show good. Meredith & Gretchen and Fran & Barry are my favorite grandparent teams. They are also fan favorites. They need to listen to their fans more. Stop casting perfectly fit people onto the race. We want to see unfit people running the race again. While they might not make it far or surprise us like Meredith & Gretchen, they are fun to watch. This is why we have been lacking diversity in teams lately. This needs to stop and the show needs to cast them again

Guess for TAR they want those body types who will look good in the swimsuits a la Survivor and Big Brother, that's the sense I got of TAR27's first leg. Something about Bill & Cathi in Brussels must have made them decide "never again" :P

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 01:16:03 AM »
They can do a gimmick for this. :hides At least they'll all be even by then.

Perhaps it's "smarter, older" they're saying no to, and not "stronger, older." ???

Elderly teams are memorable, and I miss them.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 01:55:42 AM »

Guess for TAR they want those body types who will look good in the swimsuits a la Survivor and Big Brother, that's the sense I got of TAR27's first leg. Something about Bill & Cathi in Brussels must have made them decide "never again" :P

Cathi looked quite good though.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 06:17:22 PM »

Cathi looked quite good though.
Bill & Cathi were studly! :clap2: Heck, they are one of the strongest teams in my book. Older teams make the race interesting! Who would have assumed they would have gotten all the way to Brussels to take on the Ford testing grounds, bodybuilding competition, and own up to a Double U-Turn?
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 07:43:12 PM »

So what does that mean? TAR31 is all young people? Or TAR31 is all old and smart people?

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 12:31:14 AM »

So what does that mean? TAR31 is all young people? Or TAR31 is all old and smart people?

That emogif makes me curious the same way.
Its interpretation is subjective! :nut:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 09:17:38 AM »

Nothing.

I am just grieving for the days where casts were not gimmicky...but had more age diversity.
RFF's Golden Rule: