Author Topic: Double-Episode Finales  (Read 8833 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Double-Episode Finales
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:29:29 PM »
A trend that has been going on since Season 20:

Since then, every American season of the show has combined the penultimate and ultimate legs/episodes into one two-hour finale episode.

Do you like this practice, or would you like it to disappear?

Personally, I don't like it. It makes it feel like the show is being rushed, almost as if the producers are hasty to get it over with. It's kinda weird, I know, but it makes me feel like the producers are somehow ashamed of what they're making...
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Double-Episode Finales
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 04:54:58 PM »
I don't like it either. The only double finale which I enjoyed was TAR21 because both episodes were entertaining!

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:11:42 PM »
I don't really mind it but at the same time it can leave a lot to be desired. A double length premiere I have always found better as it gives us a chance to find more out about the teams especially their character development so we know more about them from the get go, we get to see the mad dashes to the airport, and it creates a build up of anticipation for the rest of the season IMO.

I have found that team intros have been getting shorter as has the starting line and airport dash scenes. This again is the same with the finale. It is as if the first team crosses the line and that's it woo done. S20 is different whereas we had a great final 3, drama, more drama, and the infamous finding of the pit stop by accident.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 06:27:13 PM »
We are not talking about the same thing there. A 2-hour premiere of the first leg is one thing, extremely different to the 2 back-to-back 40-minutes episodes of the last two legs.

I agree that if Leg 01 were to be broadcast in 60/80 minutes, it would let us know more about the teams in the very first leg, which does seem a bit rushed with all the teams, flight thing and such.

Last two-legs being broadcast altogether, I do not really mind. I personally like it. I would rather have a season broadcast in 6 weeks, having two episodes every Sunday. <3 Rushed? The same episode to be broadcast nowor next week? If one of both legs is not great, this will work better for sure so as not to disappoint the audience.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 08:38:50 PM »
I personally don't mind it, and I like it because I get to see more episodes as soon as I can! <3

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 02:01:45 AM »
I personally don't mind it, and I like it because I get to see more episodes as soon as I can! <3

But then you have to wait longer for the next season...
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 02:04:20 AM »
I kinda hate them, because two episodes of TAR together just kinda doesn't fell right.

I remember falling asleep during the TAR 21 finale :lol:

Not to mention that the finales post UB have been super underwhelming, so even though Leg 11 is totally AMAZING (TAR 22, TAR 20, TAR 23), the horrid finale leg always kills it.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 02:15:29 AM »
I am more in favour 90 minute finales like TARAu (or the earlier seasons), where they go to a different location before they race to the finish. I loved TAR23's Tokyo leg but the Alaska finale was a total lacklustre but from what I heard the TAR24 final leg should be a good one.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:50:38 PM by theamazingracer21 »

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 09:59:30 AM »
I actually like it, because we won't know which team gets booted out in 4th. (as long as one doesn't watch the preview)
Sometimes, I think I really shouldn't mind about this.
I'd love to see a 90-120-minute premiere. We get to see more from the teams. I think we needed this in TAR21 because we didn't see how Beekman boys departed 1st but fell to the last flight. :cmas5

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 12:32:44 AM »
I personally love the double-leg finales. A one-hour finale just seems like such a let-down compared to Big Brother (90 minutes) or Survivor (two hours, but really three). I feel like I get more closure to the season by seeing the last two legs back-to-back.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 05:53:07 PM »

But then you have to wait longer for the next season...

Yeah, but typically I'm busy with the holidays, school, and Big Brother during the breaks between seasons, and just because there is one less episode won't affect the start date of the new season (it won't come later because premiere dates are generally similar to each other).

And agreeing with everyone else, 1 hour is just too short to feel like a finale.

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 05:32:35 PM »
I'm not a fan of the double-episode finales, as watching it "live" just takes up way too much time, with all the commercial breaks. I often decide to wait until Monday to watch the episodes. Until then, I have to work extra hard to avoid spoilers.

Though, it is a lot better now than it was in the much earlier seasons, with no more of the "there are no more eliminations. It's just about placement", which I thought, were wasted legs.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 06:33:37 PM »
I don't mind it, but I don't like it. The penultimate and final Leg combination is way too time-consuming for most viewers and they usually fall asleep by five minutes into the second episode. Movie theatre conscience :lol:

Besides, it makes the penultimate Leg look so boring.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 06:50:55 AM »
I don't mind it, but I don't like it. The penultimate and final Leg combination is way too time-consuming for most viewers and they usually fall asleep by five minutes into the second episode. Movie theatre conscience :lol:

Actually, the penultimate legs are usually the highlights? (TAR 23,TAR 22, TAR 20) :lol:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:55:24 AM by gamerfan09 »

Offline nosyrabbit

• RFF Full Member
  • Talk too much.
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 07:51:00 AM »
Totally don't mind with it. But, it kinda predictable if every season do this in the future.
Got along without you before I met you, Gonna get along without you now.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 06:44:18 PM »

Actually, the penultimate legs are usually the highlights? (TAR 23,TAR 22, TAR 20) :lol:
TAR20 in Hiroshima was pretty cool (enjoyed seeing the iconic Itsukushima Shrine and war memorial) until the Roadblock came up in Osaka. I kind of wish the Roadblock was solving a giant sudoku board than grabbing chicken in midair. Now THAT would be intense and frustrating...
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 08:03:12 AM »
I thought TAR21 was the only one that had both episodes as real nail-biters, while TAR20 and TAR22 were the exact opposite, and for the most part, felt like a waste of time.

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 11:03:05 AM »
Being someone who just watched every season back-to-back on Project Free TV and Hulu, the double finales didn't bother me. I can see how this would be an issue if you're actually watching it live - but maybe it benefits those seasons that had the not-that-exciting penultimate legs.

Additionally, in sports, other shows, and a lot of other competitions, making the "Final Four" is a big deal and something celebrated. On Amazing Race, 4th place is cool, but it still means you're not racing in that final episode. Putting the two final episodes together in a finale format makes it more special to be in the last four and that "last night finale" show, even if they didn't finish the race.
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 03:06:05 AM »
Being someone who just watched every season back-to-back on Project Free TV and Hulu, the double finales didn't bother me. I can see how this would be an issue if you're actually watching it live - but maybe it benefits those seasons that had the not-that-exciting penultimate legs.

Additionally, in sports, other shows, and a lot of other competitions, making the "Final Four" is a big deal and something celebrated. On Amazing Race, 4th place is cool, but it still means you're not racing in that final episode. Putting the two final episodes together in a finale format makes it more special to be in the last four and that "last night finale" show, even if they didn't finish the race.

In case you don't know, the 4th and 5th placed teams (sometimes even with the 6th) race the last leg as decoys. :)

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »

In case you don't know, the 4th and 5th placed teams (sometimes even with the 6th) race the last leg as decoys. :)

And as a new fan, I'll respond to that with WHOA, REALLY!?! Haha, I had no idea. Thats' such a smart idea - it's fun for both the teams left that they really don't have to see their alliance member actualllyyyyy leave the race, but then also cool because making that top 4 or 5 means you have a new role as a distraction, I presume? That purpose being so that fans don't find the finish line?
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 02:56:25 PM »
I love the double finale. It keeps 4th place exciting. I can watch TAR for hours. I really wish opening episode was 2 hours or at least 90 minutes. I would like to get to know teams better on the first show.

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 02:57:59 PM »
And you can see decoys in action here:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,27206.msg765720.html#msg765720

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,27206.msg765740.html#msg765740

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,27206.msg765754.html#msg765754

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,27206.msg765769.html#msg765769

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,27206.msg765968.html#msg765968

That is hilarious and genius, thanks for sharing! And on the photos with the Twinnies, that just means some more lucky customers get free pizza, I guess! Pretty cool to still be apart of the leg.

So in terms of shooting, does that mean the final cut scene with getting to the finish line is sliiiiightly staged? I always thought most aspects of Amazing Race compared to other shows never needed to really re-film too much since the reactions are very genuine and the whole point is to catch people off-guard in strange environments with stressful tasks. It would make sense to decoy away from the finish line though for sure, but since all the teams are usually present in that shot, do the 4th-6th place teams run the final leg a couple hours before or something?

I love the double finale. It keeps 4th place exciting. I can watch TAR for hours. I really wish opening episode was 2 hours or at least 90 minutes. I would like to get to know teams better on the first show.

I totally agree - I would love a non-elim in the first episode or two to get to know every team a bit better and because it would be fun for them to stay in the race a little longer :) Either way, a 90 minute premiere and inserting rough challenges right from the get-go would be great and thrilling.
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 03:06:01 PM »
TAR should do more 2 hour premier episodes with the first leg or two legs and the first is an NEL. If they were given a 2 hour timeslot for one week (well not that they control the TV schedule of CBS, but anyways), they should make it the premier rather than the finale in my opinion. I would love to get to know the teams more in the beginning.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 03:10:46 PM »

So in terms of shooting, does that mean the final cut scene with getting to the finish line is sliiiiightly staged? I always thought most aspects of Amazing Race compared to other shows never needed to really re-film too much since the reactions are very genuine and the whole point is to catch people off-guard in strange environments with stressful tasks. It would make sense to decoy away from the finish line though for sure, but since all the teams are usually present in that shot, do the 4th-6th place teams run the final leg a couple hours before or something?

Def NOT. The final 3 are RACING. The decoys will be redirected by production when teams are getting closer to the finish line.

Some seasons, decoys are not all over the finale, so it remains on a case by case basis. In Atlanta, for example, I think they were only utilized at the airport. I def did not see any racing near the final 3.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.