Author Topic: Changes Viewers Would Like To See *Are you reading, CBS?*  (Read 79397 times)

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
Re: Changes Viewers Would Like To See *Are you reading, CBS?*
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 11:52:27 PM »
Don't overload on Asia! Too much Asia isn't a good thing in my opinion xD
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 05:38:03 AM »
I don't know if its me or what but TAR Canada and TAR Australia puts some editing/lighting/whatever treatments on the quality of their video, while it seems that TAR does not have any. :| tl;dr TAR Canada and TAR Australia's visuals looks absolutely stunning while the HD version of TAR America doesn't. ???
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 05:52:02 AM »
Here are some of those that I finally remembered, thanks to some of the above posts! ;)
- More night legs! :hrt:
- Hawaii start! :luvya:
- More self-driving legs.
- A 1st leg NEL in the US.
- An Antarctic leg! :<3 (this I highly doubt)
- More teams challenging for the FF. :jam: (Which means some dim-witted teams. :funny: )
- A surprise elimination that is not in the 1st 2 legs.

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 06:49:40 AM »
To add more drama to the whole TV side of TAR, I wish they have:

+ A new twist every season, but different each time (like the two million dollar prize)
+ something interesting in each leg. I want that placement table in Wikipedia to have at least one weird symbol each leg. Maybe the Double Battle task they have in TAR Israel (if I'm not mistaken).
+ A double elimination on the leg before the finale. I wonder how teams would react to this.
+ Bring back the Hazard penalty task (for the last team at the Starting Line task) and the Yield (and maybe make a blind double Yield)

Side note: What do you guys think of a Detour like mechanic, except it's not just for one task but for a series of tasks. So teams start at the same place and end at the same place, but took the leg on very different paths. And then there's a Yield like mechanic were one team forces another team to take one side of the set of tasks before entering the said set. Just a thought  :)

Sidetrack: It took me a while to realize that we did have a night leg in TAR23. In Norway, only the sun was up the whole time.  :funny:
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline aryanisetiawan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2013, 06:50:29 AM »
i think we all agree that night legs are things that we would really enjoy.  :ghug: i would love to see more legs where teams are required to drive themselves to another country. i would also love a zero hour pitstop leg and continued in the same country. so the teams would be racing in the same place from morning to midnight ( or night to morning like leg 10 of TAR 14)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 07:00:28 AM »

+ A new twist every season, but different each time (like the two million dollar prize)
+ something interesting in each leg. I want that placement table in Wikipedia to have at least one weird symbol each leg. Maybe the Double Battle task they have in TAR Israel (if I'm not mistaken).
+ A double elimination on the leg before the finale. I wonder how teams would react to this.
+ Bring back the Hazard penalty task (for the last team at the Starting Line task) and the Yield (and maybe make a blind double Yield)

Side note: What do you guys think of a Detour like mechanic, except it's not just for one task but for a series of tasks. So teams start at the same place and end at the same place, but took the leg on very different paths. And then there's a Yield like mechanic were one team forces another team to take one side of the set of tasks before entering the said set. Just a thought  :)

Sidetrack: It took me a while to realize that we did have a night leg in TAR23. In Norway, only the sun was up the whole time.  :funny:

Forgot to add that to my list. :tup: And something I'd like to add would be a double elimination on the F5 will only be mentioned on the clue going to the pit stop. Meaning to say, it will not be mentioned in the previous leg (like Phil telling Bill & Cathi that there'll be a 2EL in the following leg) or any other time in the penultimate leg. The last 3 teams would probably react like this (if they are neck-and-neck): 3rd placer: (in a soft voice) The last 2 teams to check in will be eliminated. 4th placer: The last 2 teams to check-in... [random expression]! We have to beat them in a foot race! RUN!!! Then imagine what a dramatic moment it will be, and imagine if there's a commercial right before they reach the pit stop. :funny:

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2013, 07:12:31 AM »

Forgot to add that to my list. :tup: And something I'd like to add would be a double elimination on the F5 will only be mentioned on the clue going to the pit stop. Meaning to say, it will not be mentioned in the previous leg (like Phil telling Bill & Cathi that there'll be a 2EL in the following leg) or any other time in the penultimate leg. The last 3 teams would probably react like this (if they are neck-and-neck): 3rd placer: (in a soft voice) The last 2 teams to check in will be eliminated. 4th placer: The last 2 teams to check-in... [random expression]! We have to beat them in a foot race! RUN!!! Then imagine what a dramatic moment it will be, and imagine if there's a commercial right before they reach the pit stop. :funny:

That would be TV gold! ... if the last three teams are actually racing against each other. I just realized this.  :( If teams ended up getting separated early in the leg (like in TAR22 Scotland), it wouldn't be much of a thrill...

If TPTB would actually do this, they'll be sure to bunch up the teams at the start. What are the chances they'll actually do it for this all stars?  :)
I'm gonna fight 'em all

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2013, 11:12:59 AM »
I guess the only way I'd agree to a 1st leg NEL (hated those) is if the Hazard was featured. Otherwise, no need for that.  Fortunately when they had those, they included a random double detour and a start line boot.

Anyway, the mid-leg boot out of nowhere was a neat idea.  Having that in leg 6-8 would really scare the crap out of the surviving teams.

A double Yield (or a blind Yield) would totally rock.  Should be interesting to see a scene where the first team Yielded would Yield a second team, and then the second team would either stand by them, asking "What gives?" or kick their ass.  A blind Yield would be good TV, seeing a team get mad at "someone" in particular, (esp not the suspects).
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline TARFansurvivor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2013, 03:24:19 PM »

Could be great if they did a Season, where they went around the World without going to Asia.
They did it with Europe in Season 2!!!!!!!
Love The Amazing Race, The Apprentice and Survivor.

Offline Puppet

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Arcanine <3
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2013, 06:42:21 AM »

Agree on this. Asia has a lot to offer, but maybe they can explore Asia a little every season, and not overload 5-6 legs there. I would love some Europe and Africa as well!
I have faith in what I see
Now I know I have met an angel in person and she looks perfect
I don't deserve this, you look perfect tonight

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
I don't know if its me or what but TAR Canada and TAR Australia puts some editing/lighting/whatever treatments on the quality of their video, while it seems that TAR does not have any. :| tl;dr TAR Canada and TAR Australia's visuals looks absolutely stunning while the HD version of TAR America doesn't. ???
OMG YES!
I'm definitely not a film or tech expert, but I believe it's got something to do with frame rates or something? Maybe they're adding some kind of filter?  Can someone explain?  I've always wondered the same thing.

Whatever it is, it makes the show that much more breathtaking and visually stunning.
TARUS' HD looks like something that's filmed on a basic home HD camera.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2013, 06:42:48 PM »
Here are some of those that I finally remembered, thanks to some of the above posts! ;)
Yes!!!!
Love night legs. And I want to see a Race start/end in Alaska and Hawaii without them every setting foot in the lower 48.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2013, 07:09:49 PM »
Yes!!!!
Love night legs. And I want to see a Race start/end in Alaska and Hawaii without them every setting foot in the lower 48.

:luvya: :hrt: :cheer: :conf: :hearts: :hoot: :hugs: :tup: :jam: :party: :bunny :please:

I think TAR will do that one day, one day! That will be in TAR's history as: The first season without stepping into mainland USA.

Offline bottle

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2013, 03:48:22 AM »
i would like to see twists every leg something like in Masterchef. for example as the winners of the leg they can put one team in the back of pack or who have to do extra task something like that

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2013, 09:36:19 AM »
i would like to see twists every leg something like in Masterchef. for example as the winners of the leg they can put one team in the back of pack or who have to do extra task something like that

That would add some value to actually winning a leg, and not just the final leg.  I hope it won't replace earning a prize in the segment (sort of like the EP replacing a trip for two from Travelocity or $10,000). 

To add to that, as mentioned, I'd like to see everyone else that didn't come in first to have to perform both detours (or two members having to perform a RB). Not all the time, but once or twice a season.

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2013, 10:39:20 AM »
I have a fairly simple list:

• Bring back the Fast Forward as a legitimate strategic opportunity. In other words, feature it more than on just one leg in the Race. If possible have at least 3 Fast Forwards during every Race, so teams have to strategize about when it really would be best to go for it.
  • Fix the soundtrack. There has been way too much in the way of music featuring the cultures of the places visited, and not enough of the dramatic and suspenseful music that has made the Race feel like a race. Take Seasons 5 or 6 as an example.
  • Eliminate the Pit Stop with no rest period. To me, this is just a no-brainer. It's not really a pit stop if there is no rest period! A rest period is the very definition of "pit stop."
  • Don't make every U-turn a double U-turn. Does it really need to be called a "Double U-turn" anymore if EVERY U-turn is a Double U-turn?
  • Also, keep the number of U-turns right where it's at. No more than two, but at least one every season.
  • Quit casting celebrity wanna-be teams. Cast some very ordinary folks (keep them diverse though), and watch REAL TV magic happen! Think of what happened in Season 1.
  • Allow teams more freedom to take their preferred form of transportation. Don't force them to take the same flight more than maybe once or twice during the entire Race. We like to see the drama of teams strategizing about what the best form of transportation would be!
  • Don't overdo it with twists that try to encourage drama. If the cast is truly dynamic and lovable at the same time, this kind of drama will just happen on its own. Think of Tim & Marie and the drama they have created (so far) in TAR 23. This drama didn't come from unnecessary twists. It came from having dynamic personalities among the contestants. Do that every season!
  • Bring back the two-hour premiere episodes, and have them feature only the first leg. There is simply not enough time to get to know the new teams with only one hour for the first leg.
  • Finally, if it is not possible to cast some of the most memorable and fan-favorite teams for an All-Star season, just don't do an All-Star season at all.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:45:47 AM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »
Total respect toward your list, Hooky.  FF is a must. Even two wasn't too bad, but it's become a disaster where one was a complete bust of a FF.  Now, I'm not sure if there were two in TAR23, but if not, that one that Jamy had was pathetic.

Yeah, the U-Turns are at a point where, after 7 seasons, they can drop the "Double" from a U-Turn. No need for a single, as it's been proven that it had a perfect boot record (especially when you include an impossibly task).

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2013, 06:56:12 PM »
I have a fairly simple list:

• Bring back the Fast Forward as a legitimate strategic opportunity. In other words, feature it more than on just one leg in the Race. If possible have at least 3 Fast Forwards during every Race, so teams have to strategize about when it really would be best to go for it.
  • Fix the soundtrack. There has been way too much in the way of music featuring the cultures of the places visited, and not enough of the dramatic and suspenseful music that has made the Race feel like a race. Take Seasons 5 or 6 as an example.
  • Eliminate the Pit Stop with no rest period. To me, this is just a no-brainer. It's not really a pit stop if there is no rest period! A rest period is the very definition of "pit stop."
  • Don't make every U-turn a double U-turn. Does it really need to be called a "Double U-turn" anymore if EVERY U-turn is a Double U-turn?
  • Also, keep the number of U-turns right where it's at. No more than two, but at least one every season.
  • Quit casting celebrity wanna-be teams. Cast some very ordinary folks (keep them diverse though), and watch REAL TV magic happen! Think of what happened in Season 1.
  • Allow teams more freedom to take their preferred form of transportation. Don't force them to take the same flight more than maybe once or twice during the entire Race. We like to see the drama of teams strategizing about what the best form of transportation would be!
  • Don't overdo it with twists that try to encourage drama. If the cast is truly dynamic and lovable at the same time, this kind of drama will just happen on its own. Think of Tim & Marie and the drama they have created (so far) in TAR 23. This drama didn't come from unnecessary twists. It came from having dynamic personalities among the contestants. Do that every season!
  • Bring back the two-hour premiere episodes, and have them feature only the first leg. There is simply not enough time to get to know the new teams with only one hour for the first leg.
  • Finally, if it is not possible to cast some of the most memorable and fan-favorite teams for an All-Star season, just don't do an All-Star season at all.

OMG. Love this!  :hrt:

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2013, 07:56:23 PM »

I like these but I hate it when they to a TBC leg when there is a chance to rest and (worst of all) bunch.

This season's Norway-Poland was a bad way to do a TBC leg. (Everyone ended up on the same ferry where they could sleep and rest. It would have worked better if it was a mobile Pit Stop)

As much as I love the TBC legs have to be done perfectly. They should only be done when they stay in the same city or they go to another place where there is plenty of transport options.

Other then that and the U-turn (I would say 3-4 u-turns a race), I agree with Hooky's list.

Side-note from your premiere episode request:TARAU did 2 hours premiere episode (and then in season 1, I think they did two or three 90 minutes episode). That is the way it should be done, CBS.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:04:31 PM by theamazingracer21 »

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2013, 08:29:33 PM »
This season's Norway-Poland was a bad way to do a TBC leg. (Everyone ended up on the same ferry where they could sleep and rest. It would have worked better if it was a mobile Pit Stop)

Sounds like the staff phoning it in.  Maybe not, but they forgot the art of the TBC leg, and just threw it in just because. JMO.

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2013, 09:28:25 PM »
For me the only difference between a TBC leg and a KOR leg is that the first place team of the 'leg' gets a prize, since the last place team doesn't get a penalty for being, well, last. That's why in TAR14, the TBC China leg could be considered a KOR leg since Jaime & Cara said they received jet skis or something as a prize for coming in first, making TAR14 technically have 12 legs, instead of 11.

Also, TAR8 had an extended premiere (one and a half hours I think) that only featured the first leg. I really think they should do it again.
I'm gonna fight 'em all

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2013, 10:33:49 PM »
^TAR9 did it too IIRC.

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2013, 10:37:03 PM »
For me the only difference between a TBC leg and a KOR leg is that the first place team of the 'leg' gets a prize, since the last place team doesn't get a penalty for being, well, last. That's why in TAR14, the TBC China leg could be considered a KOR leg since Jaime & Cara said they received jet skis or something as a prize for coming in first, making TAR14 technically have 12 legs, instead of 11.

Also, TAR8 had an extended premiere (one and a half hours I think) that only featured the first leg. I really think they should do it again.

IIRC, Seasons 6-9 all had a 2-hour premiere that featured Leg 1 only. Season 4-5 featured Leg 1 but was 90 minutes in length.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »
I have a LOT to say...

CASTING:
• Get REAL casting directors (not from the Real Housewives of Faketopia or MTV) since the pretty, blond girls factor and NJ table flipping does absolutely nothing to boost viewership. It may work on CBS comedies, but not for high-staked competitions like TAR, Survivor, or Big Brother.
STOP BRINGING IN PRO ATHLETES/ATHLETE RELATIVES! I liked the race better with everyday people who work hard and have a natural bond together. Natural bond + everyday life = relatable, interesting personalities
• No more twin teams, please.

ROUTE PLANNING:
• Please find new countries to visit. It doesn't matter if you go to one or five new countries. I just want to see more cultures the world has to offer than the been there, done that of China, Indonesia, Italy, and France. And please don't make an excuse for, "but we visit new locations," if you can't even go to at least one brand new country.
• The tasks need to be harder and less straightforward. Remember the tasks in TAR21 in Turkey? A task being done for you versus a task that requires heavy head balancing, the Speed Bump was eating ice cream, and the tea Roadblock put a snooze button on top. That was awful. What I want is the TAR7 & 10 style routes back.
• Add a sense of "clue" to the clues like:
EXAMPLE: "Travel to the city with the tallest building in the world and then take a taxi there!" (Dubai - Burj Khalifa)
• Bring back that lightbox stand at the Pit Stop that displayed the city and country teams raced in. :hoot: (Why in the world did they get rid of it?)

EDITING/PRODUCTION/MUSIC
• Give everyone a fair edit with the similar estimated amount of airtime.
• Don't show teams standing on the Pit Stop until they have finished all their provided tasks and received the clue to travel to the Pit Stop. It's so annoying when they haven't even started let alone finished the task and then they magically arrive at the Pit Stop happy as a clam. Do empanadas and shmozzle ring a bell?
• Let me critique the soundtrack played now. I loved the dramatically adventurous music that played during the TAR10-TAR17 era. It gave me a sense of adventure, excitement, and hustle that encouraged me to watch and root for every team, no matter how annoying they were. Now, the localized music and "calming" tunes makes TAR feel like a travel blog video parodying TAR. It doesn't make me want to jump up and down or give me a sense of tense moments. It doesn't offer much personality to work with.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:47:36 AM by RachelLeVega »
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2013, 01:55:13 PM »
These are all great ideas!

No one wants to see TAR go away, so how can we make sure that this thread is seen by someone in production?
Do we think that it is already being viewed by production?