Author Topic: TAR 24 Maps  (Read 18286 times)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
TAR 24 Maps
« on: November 18, 2013, 05:46:54 AM »
Will be updated as we go along.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:43:08 PM by Neobie »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 24 Maps
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:20:54 AM »
Updated with Leg 2 in blue. Much thanks and mad props to Chateau, Slowhatch, Weihen, Madjoe, Bobo, Jiangjiang and gang, as well as JasonTennisFan and his team on Sucks, for spoiling this two legs in Los Angeles and Guangzhou!

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 09:30:27 AM »
Leg Four and the start of Leg Five.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 04:24:54 PM »
Leg 3
Peach already found Tanjung Aru; the confessionals seem to be on the beach (Shangri-La resort, perhaps? Photo source)
I can't find the hunting task; the nearest "Linsuk" I can find is 20 km away. The business with the O'Learys is strange. They carried something heavy all the way back to the fish pond, then hiked again to the (unknown) finish point. All they had to do was present a "piece of wood" to the river guide. ???

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 04:58:28 PM »
Leg 3

You're right, that's the place in Kampung Tombung. It's a perfect match:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ljq6d4jFRpc?hl=es_" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ljq6d4jFRpc?hl=es_</a>

Check at 0:20.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:18:37 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 05:14:27 PM »
I can't find the hunting task; the nearest "Linsuk" I can find is 20 km away. The business with the O'Learys is strange. They carried something heavy all the way back to the fish pond, then hiked again to the (unknown) finish point. All they had to do was present a "piece of wood" to the river guide. ???

They said something about the sixth bridge, right? I tried to count the bridges. I'm not sure but the hunting place might not be too far from the first one.

Do you think the Linsuk is somewhere near Pulou Hanging Bridge?

And I found the route is strange when the clue giver has to be somewhere down in the end of the river but how the teams get their taxis after that because all the taxis are in Kampung Tompinahaton
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:45:07 PM by paradoxinee »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 11:30:53 PM »
And I found the route is strange when the clue giver has to be somewhere down in the end of the river but how the teams get their taxis after that because all the taxis are in Kampung Tompinahaton
The note at the bottom of the clue card advises the racers to hold their taxis; it must be one of those circular rivers.  :snicker:

Leg 4 seems straightforward except for one thing: the editors would have us think they took taxis from the airport, but teams have been taking the train into KL Sentral ever since TAR3.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 12:03:07 AM »
Great job Slowhatch! :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 02:01:49 AM »
The note at the bottom of the clue card advises the racers to hold their taxis; it must be one of those circular rivers.  :snicker:

I noted this as well. But there are two simple explanations. Either production told the taxis where to go to pick up their teams or production transported the teams back to their taxis after they had completed the detour.

But what I think could have happened is, note that this is pure speculation, that they used the taxis to transport the camera crew. it goes something like this:
  • Teams arrive and everybody gets out of the taxi to film them build their raft.
  • After teams have departed on their raft the camera crew jumps back into the taxi and travel to their detour option.
  • The trip on the river is filmed by other crews on a boat and fixed cameras on land by the rapids.
  • At the village or jungle tour the camera crew meet up with their team and film them.
  • Once teams go out on the river again the camera crew jumps into the taxi and travel to the clue giver at the end of the river.
  • Here they eventually meet up with their team.
I have a couple of reasons to suspect this:
  • The camera crew could probably not have followed the team on a boat through the rapids so they had to go another route.
  • This neatly explains why Dave & Connor couldn't stop at the jungle detour, their camera team wasn't there. In order to do that detour they would have had to wait for the camera crew to make their way there,

But all of this is pure speculation.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
Leg 3
Peach already found Tanjung Aru; the confessionals seem to be on the beach (Shangri-La resort, perhaps? Photo source)

I think this is the location of the food delivery detour. I haven't found the blowpipe detour location either.

Just some observations.......
a) The raft build/put in point in the river is on the left bank or near bank. The river in the episode flows from right to left. The take out point on the river is on the near bank from the episode. The river is flowing the same direction in both cases. Both detour locations are on the other side of the river. The food delivery is first, then the rapids, then the blowpipe detour. In the GE screenshot above, there are 3 nice sets of rapid just below the food delivery detour location, including one that looks like the real sharp turn that caught L/J and the Globes. The highway is also on the near side of the river. That's the reason that D/C had to cross that bridge both ways.

b) When D/C realize that they have missed their detour, Dave says that they have to keep going. Where would they be going, but the take out point? Where ever they came out of the river to run the food back to the delivery point, it is impossible that it was closer than doing the delivery at the  posted sign. There are no meanders in that part of the river to make it "shorter".
Matthew 7:15

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 06:54:58 PM »

Leg 4 seems straightforward except for one thing: the editors would have us think they took taxis from the airport, but teams have been taking the train into KL Sentral ever since TAR3.

I was going to agree with you till I saw some of the bonus clips from the episode. It appears that they did take taxis from the KUL airport to the Skybar.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/video/5_eHPCZ_ORyfqqaLz_HYyP9OrSHb7dj1/the-amazing-race-what-happens-next-/

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 07:50:51 PM »
From the airport.

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 10:59:02 PM »
 :-[  Ah, my mistake; thanks for the info. I was trying to shove a solution into KLIA but it looks like LCCT next door was a better answer.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 10:47:42 PM »
Leg 5
Triways Travel Network (cafe & boutique)
Galle railway station The bus station is right across the street. Teams can be seen heading south on Matara road in their tuktuks but I couldn't match the Detour location. I'm guessing somewhere near Unawatuna.
The teams took the bus back but the dropoff spot is unknown. Trendy Connections is here. At least one team took the 138 bus from DelKanda stop to the area of the rowing club. The Pangiriwatta rail station was even closer to Trendy, but I suppose the racers were under orders (and trains probably less frequent).

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 02:46:46 PM »
I haven't had time to make maps, but here are the locations for the first half of the leg. (Close to impossible to nail down the exact locations of the bridal shops, even if we have the full addresses from the spoilers! Will have to wait until I can check out Guangzhou in person...)

Looks like the rafting drop-off in Kota Kinabalu was right after the Jungle Run option. With regards to the circular-river theory, I think production probably just had a shuttle to bring them back to the start point. Similar teleportation issues for teams leaving Galle to head to Trendy Connection in Leg 5: they hid all traces of teams leaving from the Detour and arriving at the Roadblock.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 01:28:56 AM »
Thanks Neobie!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 05:59:08 AM »
Similar teleportation issues for teams leaving Galle to head to Trendy Connection in Leg 5: they hid all traces of teams leaving from the Detour and arriving at the Roadblock.

One of the bonus clips released by CBS showed teams getting on a regular bus in Galle. This was probably for the trip back to Colombo and Trendy connections.  Some teams, among then the Globetrotters, were paying the driver to go at once and hoping to leave before Jet & Cord figured out which bus they needed to go to (which they did).

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 09:48:58 AM »
Leg 8: everything is plain except for the starting point at the DaVinci hotel (across the river from the P. del Popolo) where teams ducked back inside for directions.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 11:55:43 AM »
Thanks Maf and Slowhatch!

Updated through to Orvieto.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 07:13:37 AM »
As usual, excellent job on the maps, Neobie.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 09:18:18 AM »
Updated through to Cheshire.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 09:05:57 AM »
Can anyone figure out where was the digging-in-the-desert task? I know they went north on I-15, but not too sure after that.

Is the big white thing behind the Speedway? That would put them on N Las Vegas Boulevard.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:08:59 AM by Neobie »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 11:24:36 AM »
Can anyone also figure out where the Pit Start was for the final leg? It's some sort of hotel in the countryside!

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 01:50:28 AM »
BLM is given "special thanks" in the credit roll, but I can't find any 2013 use-permits for southern Nevada (odd  ???).
If we can find this fountain, we can find the hotel.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 02:56:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure the pit start was at Carden Park hotel (http://www.devere-hotels.co.uk/hotel-lodges/locations/carden-park.html)

Teams start by the pool. The urn shown in the video are the same model as the ones which are in the photo of the entrance, so it makes sense they would have similar ones by the pool (and you can just see them in the aerial photo). You can just see the start of the pool behind Dave & Connor, and the boxlike structure by the pool can be seen in the aerial photo and other online photos.

Teams run up to the cars by the statue. Dave & Connor run up to the road while Caroline & Jennifer run through the garden.