Author Topic: TAR 23 East Coast EP 6 SHOW updates and commentary **Note TIME CHANGE**  (Read 22883 times)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: TAR 23 East Coast EP 6 SHOW updates and commentary **Note TIME CHANGE**
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2013, 11:26:46 PM »
I re-watched the episode and actually thought Tim said it himself, implying that he couldn't have performed it any better... I thought it was Danny at first but his mouth wasn't moving...? :/

And Danny wouldn't even give Tim a five at the pit-stop, he looks pissed or am I seeing too much into details? :stare

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2013, 11:45:51 PM »
On the mask task -- when the mask roadblock came up in Venice in season 4, it was regarded as the most difficult roadblock ever to that point. (And all the teams struggled with it). This version as a detour task seemed to combine to waltz dancing fast forward in the sense that the Racers had to work around the dancers to find the right masks, and the masks themselves were far more difficult and thus harder to match up. I don't think it was an easy task at all. The chandelier one probably wasn't chosen because the teams probably reasoned that it would be difficult to complete because of the requirement that teams would have to start over if any chandelier wasn't assembled correctly or fell to the ground before completing the attempt.
For the same reason I felt the singing task wasn't any less difficult than the piano tasks that had been done with a couple of variations in past seasons, or the other singing tasks that have shown up in different seasons as well.
I'm not sure that knowing a romance language (Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese) would have been as helpful because German is used in opera and there are no soft sounds in German as they are in the Romance languages whether spoken or sung. When I was in a chorus in junior and senior high school years ago we did have to learn and perform a few songs that were in German, and for most people it was harder. But it helps to have studied German at the time, and so I could evaluate that task with experience. I'm not surprised some teams had more trouble with that task than others, and people who couldn't sing, and who weren't familiar with languages other than English could expect problems, especially with certain US dialects.
-- theschnauzers

paldog123456

« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2013, 01:17:18 AM »
On the mask task -- when the mask roadblock came up in Venice in season 4, it was regarded as the most difficult roadblock ever to that point. (And all the teams struggled with it). This version as a detour task seemed to combine to waltz dancing fast forward in the sense that the Racers had to work around the dancers to find the right masks, and the masks themselves were far more difficult and thus harder to match up. I don't think it was an easy task at all. The chandelier one probably wasn't chosen because the teams probably reasoned that it would be difficult to complete because of the requirement that teams would have to start over if any chandelier wasn't assembled correctly or fell to the ground before completing the attempt.
For the same reason I felt the singing task wasn't any less difficult than the piano tasks that had been done with a couple of variations in past seasons, or the other singing tasks that have shown up in different seasons as well.
I'm not sure that knowing a romance language (Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese) would have been as helpful because German is used in opera and there are no soft sounds in German as they are in the Romance languages whether spoken or sung. When I was in a chorus in junior and senior high school years ago we did have to learn and perform a few songs that were in German, and for most people it was harder. But it helps to have studied German at the time, and so I could evaluate that task with experience. I'm not surprised some teams had more trouble with that task than others, and people who couldn't sing, and who weren't familiar with languages other than English could expect problems, especially with certain US dialects.

I sang German in school choir and the pronunciation really is quite different in some cases from what one would expect, making it difficult. (Knowing German has made the pronunciation a million times easier now.)

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »
From my experience, German is extremely difficult to pronounce by those who speak Romance languages, but it is particularly difficult for English speakers. I met an American who majored in German studies and he still struggled to drop his Minnesota accent.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move