Author Topic: Would another Family Edition ever work?  (Read 33477 times)

Offline APABLD

• RFF Jr. Member
    • adouangchak YouTube
Would another Family Edition ever work?
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:23:20 PM »
Or do you think it would be a bad idea no matter what?

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
Re: Would another Family Edition ever work?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 09:27:58 PM »
Family Edition <3
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 09:43:55 PM »
Tbh season 8 was one of the first ones I watched back in AXN latinoamerica and it wasnt an alien concept to me so I really like it even though it was focus mostly on the US territory.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:07:09 PM »
The geographic limitation, plus the decision to lower the age of the kids from 15 to 8 is what messed that format up; it's telling that even the teams that season thought they'd be going to other continents and that wasn't the game plan.

-- theschnauzers

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:16:47 PM »
Family of three, ten teams, travel out of the US. Yes.

Same format as TAR 8... no. :(

Offline APABLD

• RFF Jr. Member
    • adouangchak YouTube
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 10:28:53 PM »
Family of three, ten teams, travel out of the US. Yes.

This is probably my ideal Family Edition. 10 teams of 3 that can travel outside the US. They don't necessarily have to completely go around the world, but most of it should be outside the US.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 12:02:41 AM »
Actually, I really enjoyed Season 8. I liked every aspect of it. I know, shocking right?

We see all around the world all the time, but seeing what America itself had to offer was a really nice change of pace. The increased emphasis on self-driving was nice as well. I liked having pre-teens and young teens on the show. I loved the four-person team set up. I thought the challenges were intriguing and interesting, and the locations were varied enough to keep my interest.

As long as there aren't too many repeat locations, I would give a big, resounding yes to an exact repeat of the TAR8 formula.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 12:54:19 AM »
Somewhere in the "Phil in the News" Thread, there's an interview with Phil and the other hosts who were nominated for the reality hosting Emmy (I think), where the interviewer asked them if there was something they wish their show hadn't done, and Phil said that he wished they hadn't done Family Edition (but that they were proud that they at least tried). He said the hardest part was having to eliminate the young children. :(

So if Phil's not on board, I wouldn't get your hopes up. :(
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 01:14:23 AM »
Family of three, ten teams, everyone above 16, travel out of the US. Yes.

Add that new criteria in. :funny:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 02:53:02 AM »
I... don't think it might work. :(  :pity Although I'd be glad to watch another TAR Family Edition. :)

Offline wcpamotm

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »
The Family Edition's problems were IMO partly structural and partly self-inflicted (with a dash of bad luck tossed in).  With that many contestants running around, often not referred to individually by name, it's difficult to get to know em and relate in any way to them.  (I still can't name any of the Bransen sisters, and they finished the race!).   Also, so few teams relative to the number of legs led to a loooong time wandering around the west without an elimination. 

As to that route, TAR Canada showed me just how compelling a journey that never leaves a country could be, and such a route mostly in the USA should have been at least as interesting.  Instead we got the world's largest office chair and the a red Lodge Mountain Golgotha Course.

We'll not see another family edition.  But if the producers were for some reason determined to make it work: 
1.  Make it a completely separate "series"' like the international versions.  That might reduce unflattering comparisons with the original.  maybe a summer series, although Big Bother seems to claim much of the CBS summer timeslots.
2.  Spoilers be damned.  Pick the most interesting route, regardless of who might spot the racers along the way.
We can put a man on the moon, so why can't we have a Fast Forward in every leg?

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »
The Family Edition's problems were IMO partly structural and partly self-inflicted (with a dash of bad luck tossed in).  With that many contestants running around, often not referred to individually by name, it's difficult to get to know em and relate in any way to them.  (I still can't name any of the Bransen sisters, and they finished the race!).   Also, so few teams relative to the number of legs led to a loooong time wandering around the west without an elimination.

I never notice that but you are right... I can name a few racers back of Family Edition, Bill, Billy, Carissa and Tammy Gaghan for example but I couldn't tell you the name of the Linz family or the Godwlesky family (I'm totally butchering that name btw)... I think you strike the point, too many people for the amount of air time....

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 06:11:41 AM »

I never notice that but you are right... I can name a few racers back of Family Edition, Bill, Billy, Carissa and Tammy Gaghan for example but I couldn't tell you the name of the Linz family or the Godwlesky family (I'm totally butchering that name btw)... I think you strike the point, too many people for the amount of air time....

Geez... you're right. I had to go to Wikipedia just to find out their names. :funny:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 06:14:27 AM »
We'll not see another family edition.  But if the producers were for some reason determined to make it work: 
1.  Make it a completely separate "series"' like the international versions.  That might reduce unflattering comparisons with the original.  maybe a summer series, although Big Bother seems to claim much of the CBS summer timeslots.
2.  Spoilers be damned.  Pick the most interesting route, regardless of who might spot the racers along the way.

Hmmm... interesting. :umn: :hrt: :colors

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 08:13:19 AM »
I actually really enjoyed TAR 8 very much!

I mean 1 out of 23 seasons where we didn't have that much of International travel, can't complain. The Americas is very interesting too!  :)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 08:25:33 AM »
<3 USA, exactly!

Oh I remembered the names of the Weaver, Gaghan and Godlewski family... and of course MAMA PAOLO MARION AKA WHO WANTS TO GO TO PHEONIX ARIZONA. :funny:

I really don't think TAR 8 was that bad and winch whenever somebody complains about it. Maybe it was boring in USA but for the rest of the world, I got exposed to huge amounts of American culture and history, which was equally enriching and fun to watch.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 10:28:26 AM »
<3 USA, exactly!

Oh I remembered the names of the Weaver, Gaghan and Godlewski family... and of course MAMA PAOLO MARION AKA WHO WANTS TO GO TO PHEONIX ARIZONA. :funny:

I really don't think TAR 8 was that bad and winch whenever somebody complains about it. Maybe it was boring in USA but for the rest of the world, I got exposed to huge amounts of American culture and history, which was equally enriching and fun to watch.

Have to agree when I gave it a second chance I really enjoyed it - Mama Paolo & Dj such stars!

Offline APABLD

• RFF Jr. Member
    • adouangchak YouTube
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 07:11:17 PM »
Added a poll!

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 05:43:33 PM »
Maybe a race across the US would work, but adding teens and children to the mix is asking for disaster (as in having to make everything easier and safer)
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 06:25:02 PM »
Both BVM and Phil have ben quoted as saying no way.... :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »
Both BVM and Phil have ben quoted as saying no way.... :funny:

:funny:

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 06:45:22 PM »
It was the legs in the midwest especially where I had to force myself to watch the whole hour.

If they did another, The Amazing Race Canada showed how a 1-country route CAN work...when it's done right. Maybe not a family-edition, though.

When I first heard it wasn't leaving the country, I will admit I thought "this is going to be as lame as Amazing Race 8", but it wasn't, it was far better. The challenges were tough, on par with and exceeding those on The Amazing Race (with teams of 2, of course) and the variety of landscapes and cultures was enough to keep it fresh and interesting the whole way through.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 06:48:43 PM by Maanca »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 08:27:05 PM »
TAR Canada was awesome!

:welcome: to RFF, Maanca!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 08:48:01 PM »
Maybe bring foreign teams and do something like "America Rush"
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 10:46:16 PM »
I think it unlikely, but it could work. No kids under 12 or maybe even 16. They could have visited more interesting places and had better challenges. Yall (southernism) are right I can mostly remember last names only, and not all of those. It was way too many people. More cultural and historical stuff would have been good, especially in the challenges.