Author Topic: Would another Family Edition ever work?  (Read 33460 times)

Offline TheBayAreaGuy

• RFF Full Member
Re: Would another Family Edition ever work?
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2016, 11:08:26 AM »
I think production made a couple of mistakes - 1. too many teams & 2. too many legs. 40 people is a lot of new characters you have to introduce in a few episodes...should've been 8-9 teams. Also, 13 legs (not counting "to be continued" as one leg) was too long and should've been condescend to 10 legs as the 2nd half dragged on too long.

The 1st half of Family Edition was okay, especially when traveling out of the country. I think production played it too safe with the tasks. The season does have heart which is more than you can say about a lot of post-TAR 13 seasons.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2016, 12:26:18 AM »
A Family Edition would work only if they kept it as a casting restriction like S26. Just make a regular season in which all teams are family and that's it. No need for extra large teams or younger contestants.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »
That was the problem. Having kids as young as 8 kinda forced them to water down the tasks and destinations.

You had... What was it, a fighter jet? I know that was a Roadblock, but come on. It wasn't catering to the children.
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score

Offline TheBayAreaGuy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2016, 01:53:31 PM »
There were though. A lot of the early episodes had tasks mostly that were geared towards children. Like the climbing task in ep. 4 was a Roadblock but it aired as miscellaneous task.

That was the problem. Having kids as young as 8 kinda forced them to water down the tasks and destinations.

You had... What was it, a fighter jet? I know that was a Roadblock, but come on. It wasn't catering to the children.

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2016, 06:34:28 PM »
There were though. A lot of the early episodes had tasks mostly that were geared towards children. Like the climbing task in ep. 4 was a Roadblock but it aired as miscellaneous task.

You said it - "early episodes". That's what my point was, pretty much. You could tell that some of the tasks were designed for an older child or an adult in the late legs.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2016, 10:23:41 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing kids in the show again, if the same format were to happen in future. Most of us were even rooting for them!

IIRC, the main problem with TAR8 was the lack of international travel, which I don't mind because I don't live in the US.

For my personal preferences though, there were too many NEL's towards the end of the race (which TAR is no longer overdoing), and there were so many linear legs from what I noticed. The Gaghans got lost on Leg 2, and they were never able to get to the top of the pack until the leg with the flight.

I don't remember when, but I voted for "Yes, but a different format to the 8th season." If a lot of people didn't like TAR8's format, why bother make another one? We'd just lose viewers. :( TAR has been creating themed seasons lately. Some might like them, some might not, but what matters at the end of the day is TAR still having enough fans to watch the show. :hrt: I hope TAR will still live longer than I am expecting it to.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2016, 03:11:43 PM »
But remember Platrium, the reason why TAR hasn't had another Family Edition season was because they had kids way too young of age. Maybe they need to be 13+

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2016, 06:27:54 PM »
But remember Platrium, the reason why TAR hasn't had another Family Edition season was because they had kids way too young of age. Maybe they need to be 13+

And how did you come to that conclusion? You have some evidence?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2016, 07:31:33 PM »
If a lot of people didn't like TAR8's format, why bother make another one?

Twists are redone in Survivor and Big Brother. I'm sure TAR's TPTB could reuse a concept and make it work. All they'd have to do is maintain their minimum age and get a wide variety of blood relations.

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2016, 11:15:49 PM »
Well, TAR Family edition costed too much on transportation and accomodation fee, even in USA... And it would have  been bigger if they had traveled overseas....

And fans prefer regular format team rather family format team to see how relationship drama play...
what might have been

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2016, 04:32:27 PM »
And fans prefer regular format team rather family format team to see how relationship drama play...

How many of those fans liked the all-dating season? That wasn't a "regular format"...

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2016, 10:51:15 PM »

How many of those fans liked the all-dating season? That wasn't a "regular format"...

My fault to forget blind dating format....
what might have been

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2016, 11:17:58 PM »

No way dude. The reason it wasn't tried again was because it was reviled by almost everybody when it aired.

Now, in my opinion the issues with FE was a combination of two changes to the regular formula, the first being the families, and the second being the US-centric route. Either one of those on their own probably wouldn't have been as problematic. Including young children, though, I don't think could ever have worked (sorry Gaghans/Blacks!). But (once again in my opinion) a large reason it failed was the poor timing. Seasons 5-7 was when the show's at its most popular and those seasons aired nearly back-to-back-to-back. Not only was it switching up the show at its prime, it actually was even a little oversaturated.

So could another Family Edition work? Maybe. Retroactively, it's a better gimmick than those of recent seasons as its focus derives from the very core of the show - dysfunctional trips. Would they ever attempt to make another? Not a chance.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 11:39:32 PM by Best Loser »

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2016, 11:27:30 PM »
No way dude. The reason it wasn't tried again was because it was reviled by almost everybody when it aired.

So in other words:
THEY HATED IT!

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2018, 01:18:53 AM »
I really want another Family Edition to be honest, I would love it be the same format as TAR 8. The only changes I would make are:
1. Don't have too many Non-Eliminations at the end of the race, really this makes a season drag.
2. Have a more balanced cast. My favorite team from this season was the Gaghans, because they was the only team worth rooting for. This is what the fans wanted when they begged for this season to be made. Parents racing with their two young kids. If they ever want to do another Family Edition, EVERY team requirement will have to be two adults and two kids, to have it be more balanced.
3. I didn't mind the US-only route, what I did mind is what they decided to do in the US. Places like Washington DC, Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, New Orleans, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, were great places to visit in the US. Also some states should have been represented better, like you go to Salt Lake City, and not have the Pit Stop be at Temple Square, or go to Utah, and not visit the Great Salt Lake? The Roadblock in Montana should have been about The Battle of Little Bighorn instead of finding 4 colored golf balls. Also how awesome would it be to have Pit Stops at places like The Alamo, Mount Rushmore, Beale Street, and the Gateway Arch.
4. OK one of the main reasons is to have the Race start in Portland, Maine and end in Portland, Oregon.

Offline TARstorian

• RFF Full Member
    • TARstorian.
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2018, 12:51:58 AM »
Another Family Edition can't really work because 99% of the audience wouldn't be on board with it.

"Hey, remember that season the critics mocked in interviews with Phil for the next ten years, Phil and Bertram both said they would never do again, and the audience frequently references it as the worst season of all time? . . .Well, we're gonna try it again!"

You'd have to call it something completely different. You brand it as "Family Edition" and you're pretty much screwed.

I think the biggest thing is you need to just not reserve FIVE NELs for the last eight legs of the season. Do it where you have nine teams and ten legs or something like that.

Furthermore have two of the members be 16 or younger. . .but then you have to water down the tasks and limit international travel.

So maybe you have everyone be 19+. . .but then isn't it just a regular season with bloated team sizes and everyone having a family dynamic?

There's just no way you can make it work given who watches TAR US and what they associate with Family Edition.

With that being said, TAR Canada could absolutely get away with a Family Edition. I mean, look at the past couple seasons. I have no idea why, but they get millions of viewers by doing nothing and creating no interesting storylines. Just let them do it and people seem to watch it no matter what. They're the only franchise I can think of who could pull this off with significant ratings.
I have been to 63 countries. I have met Phil Keoghan, Jon Montgomery, Allan Wu, Elise and Bertram in person. I visited Joe & Bill in Hawaii, JK & Mike in Singapore, and Rovilson in Manila. I attended the TAR 28, 29, and 34 finales.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2018, 10:39:14 AM »
:amen:

Except for the TAR Canada part.  :neener:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2019, 08:32:22 AM »
It was not fair, some have little kids some have big strong dudes
if they gonna do it again it has to be all with teen kids mostly girls
Swarm stupidity

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »
It was not fair, some have little kids some have big strong dudes
if they gonna do it again it has to be all with teen kids mostly girls

That's quite creepy...
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies