Author Topic: Big Brother 15, CBS failed BB fans with the MVP twist  (Read 5529 times)

Offline ripvanwinkle

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Dare to be remarkable!
Big Brother 15, CBS failed BB fans with the MVP twist
« on: July 19, 2013, 08:10:34 PM »
This is my opinion, and it may or may not be shared by others.

- Rachel from past BB appearances has built up a fanbase. CBS edited Rachel & Brenden in such a fashion that some Big Brother watchers became fans of them. (For me Rachel's behavior on live feeds, and conduct, just absolutely turned me into a Rachel hater.)
- Big Brother brought a very popular player's sister into the house this season
- It didn't occur to CBS that Rachel's sister would have an unfair advantage in the voting process for MVP over the other newcomers?

This twist played a large role in Elissa gaining safety by putting up perceived targets along side of her on the block. (Week 2, Jeremy and then Nick).

Elissa was afforded the luxury of giving 4 different nominations in 3 weeks without winning 1 single challenge.

Elissa had 2 of her nominations leave the house (David & Nick).

How CBS overlooked this hiccup in their twist is beyond me and it has me questioning the intelligence of the producers. Or even worse some are questioning the validity of the game all together because of coincidence after coincidence with the show.

I am a Big Brother fan who became a fan due to my wife's interest. At this point I couldn't be any more frustrated with the game because Elissa and those who latched on to her took full control of the house and used this twist and Elissa's "popularity" by default due to her sister's popularity to their full advantage.

I also believe that Elissa and her leeches having 2 weeks to convince everyone that Jeremy was a huge target played a role in him leaving.

4 house guests fighting for their lives in the game in 3 weeks due to an oversight from CBS is deplorable, and it's sloppy producing at it's finest.

This folks was the single worst twist in Big Brother history because it caused a major competitive disadvantage for many of the house guests and gave Rachel's sister a competitive advantage through others worshiping the ground she walks on to influence her HOH type powers in the game.

I am really questioning the time I am spending watching this season when the outcome and path to the outcome were influenced heavily by an oversight. Simply put, this was not fair and I am extremely upset with CBS and the Big Brother 15 production crew.
All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved. The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination!

Offline BelleJar

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Big Brother 15, CBS failed BB fans with the MVP twist
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:31:29 PM »
I think the Big Brother producers knew exactly what the outcome was going to be when they added Elissa to the cast and created the MVP.   They have benefited in general from the Brenchel love and why wouldn't they try to exploit those fans even more?

I am not a fan of the MVP.  I don't know why Big Brother thinks fans need to be involved in the show.  I really don't want to be involved.  It makes the game way less interesting by inserting ourselves into the mix.   Its not American Idol or whatever other show you can vote for your favorites.  I'm probably in the minority, though.   

As it relates to us voting for the MVP nom this week, Ragan Fox tweeted something to the effect that the twist Julie originally teased would let us fans vote for the nominee or something similar in order for CBS to take the heat off of themselves for the Aaryn hate.  Make us as viewers get her out instead of doing the right thing and addressing the issue head on. 

Do better at casting Big Brother.  Done.  D-U-N-N
A lot of warm vulgarity is incomparably preferable to a little bit of pinched niceness.
~ Caitlin Thomas

Offline bbjunkey

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 08:47:15 PM »
I think the Big Brother producers knew exactly what the outcome was going to be when they added Elissa to the cast and created the MVP.   They have benefited in general from the Brenchel love and why wouldn't they try to exploit those fans even more?

I am not a fan of the MVP.  I don't know why Big Brother thinks fans need to be involved in the show.  I really don't want to be involved.  It makes the game way less interesting by inserting ourselves into the mix.   Its not American Idol or whatever other show you can vote for your favorites.  I'm probably in the minority, though.   

As it relates to us voting for the MVP nom this week, Ragan Fox tweeted something to the effect that the twist Julie originally teased would let us fans vote for the nominee or something similar in order for CBS to take the heat off of themselves for the Aaryn hate.  Make us as viewers get her out instead of doing the right thing and addressing the issue head on. 

Do better at casting Big Brother.  Done.  D-U-N-N

Except that is going to backfire -- since Aaryn is probably being nominated for eviction right now. 

Offline BelleJar

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:55:33 PM »

Except that is going to backfire -- since Aaryn is probably being nominated for eviction right now.

Yup, so the best they can hope is that one of the other "mean" girls gets nominated.

Its even better when you think that if the majority of the house has their way, Howard will be backdoored.

Maybe that's what Big Brother was trying to prevent from happening?
 :crazy:
A lot of warm vulgarity is incomparably preferable to a little bit of pinched niceness.
~ Caitlin Thomas

Offline selfeviction

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »
#QUEENELISSA #TEAMELISSA. haha. even tho the producers mave the MVP Tiwst to Elissa's benefit. I still love Elissa.!!!

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 09:38:02 PM »
I like the idea of the MVP and 3rd nomination but did they have to do it with Rachel's sister.

Offline JEN4611

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 12:29:09 AM »
I also think that the new MVP twist paired with putting in Rachel's sister was just giving BB more power over the game. And they want that, they always do.

I like Elissa. I hated Rachel. I don't think Elissa deserves to be MVP every week. There have been other worthy houseguests.

I want Amanda gone. (just wanted to add that  :funny:)

Offline ripvanwinkle

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Dare to be remarkable!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 04:27:42 AM »
I already posted a thread on the issue of the "America's Choice MVP" twist and how it obviously favored a past popular player's sister over a bunch of newbies. Sure enough she won the MVP the first 3 weeks.

If that wasn't enough, something happened tonight that really made me question the time I dedicate to Big Brother and may stop watching and buying access to the live feeds.

So the show introduced a "new twist" in week 4 which was "America's Nominee". All week house guests have speculated as to what this twist could be. Jessie & Amanda both guessed the twist in passing, but also while naming a bunch of other options.

Elissa was running around the house today super nervous about the twist, and she didn't get a call to the Diary Room as she had the previous 3 weeks to receive her MVP award. So when the usual time to receive her MVP award passed, she started freaking out and asking all kinds of questions. The house, and us live feed watchers noticed the huge paranoid change in behavior.

Sure enough Elissa was finally called to the Diary Room, and after the Diary Room session she appeared to be much more confident, and wasn't running around acting paranoid any more. In fact she was heading to bed until Helen & Candice came to chat with her about random topics. For the first time all day I noticed Elissa wasn't speculating about the twist.

Well for CBS, once again we get more circumstantial evidence that you are manipulating a game show that doesn't need to be rigged based on the well thought out format of the show.

Amanda confronts Elissa in the storage room about the potential that Amanda may be going on the block. Amanda said she "heard" that she may be going on the block. This put Elissa in a position of vulnerability in which the strong social player Amanda may look to target Elissa if this were to transpire, because after all Elissa was MVP every week to this point and 3 of Elissa's 4 nominations ultimately left the house after 3 weeks.

So Elissa responds to Amanda's concerns by flat out saying: "What if America is putting up the 3rd nominee?" Elissa proceeds to comfort Amanda with this notion that she believes America is voting for the 3rd nominee.

About 5-10 minutes later Elissa is seen in the kitchen talking to Kaitlin and others telling them "I am 100% for sure that America is voting for the 3rd nominee this week!"

So, how does she go from an inquisitive state of mind prior to talking to production, and all the sudden she's for sure as to what will transpire?

We also got the "We Will Be Right Back" screen for about 10 minutes after Elissa spilled the beans. (Who knows what was going on?)

This was followed by Kaitlin putting production flat out on blast on the live feeds proclaiming that production told her. Kaitlin and Andy proceeded to discuss how production constantly finds reasons to pull Elissa aside and even discussed encounters in which they caught Elissa talking to production behind closed doors.

Wow CBS. SO many of us buy into the format of the show and invest time believing this is a true social, mental, and physical competition between competitors who all have a fair shake.

After watching certain things that have transpired in years past in combination with seeing this crap going on again. I don't see why I should care about this show any more. There are much better things I can do with my time than to dedicate my precious time to your rigged bull crap. Clean up your act because there's a very good chance you just lost a very very loyal viewer.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:31:13 AM by ripvanwinkle »
All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved. The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »
Elissa seemed pretty upset today when she was put on the block. I don't know if it is rigged or not, I can't say.  :umn: Don't give up yet Rip.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Dallas-Girl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • ***GO COWBOYS***
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 06:02:34 PM »
 :ghug:  :ghug: I just read that......Elissa won the POV & wearing it around her neck :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer: :<3  :yess:  :yess: :yess: :yess: :yess:

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 01:20:15 PM »
I as well get very frustrated with this MVP twist. I first of all despise America having any say at all in actual strategic gameplay. (I'm fine with picking food for have nots). I still find the MVP twist dumb on how Elissa gets an unfair advantage to the other houseguests. It has drove my father to the point where he has stopped watching this season entirely. I wish this twist would end soon, or make some modifications where Elissa doesn't win it every single time.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 11:46:51 AM »
I'm sick of the twist. I hope this is the end of it by our "choosing" the 3rd person. Apparently some people were confused by the vote and thought they were voting for MVP again, not the 3rd nomination.

Does anyone think that Julie will tell the HGs of this change in the twist?  :umn:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline onthecusp

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 04:13:32 PM »
As I see it........

First of all, Elyssa should have been disqualified to even be on the show.

Second, voting on CBS shows has always been unfair due to the allowance of multiple email accounts garnering votes. And I mean, one individual can have HUNDREDS of accounts voting THOUSANDS of times. This helped lead to the demise of the great CBS message boards years ago.

Thirdly, this did bite CBS in the butt when America supposedly voted Elyssa MVP 3 weeks in a row and in testing this theory, they (CBS) changed the format by making America MVP instead thus, putting Elyssa up as nominee week four by default. Ooopsie! Not surprising to say the least.

Elyssa freaking out had to be assuaged somehow for continuity of the show by appeasing her and keeping her quiet as to the real snafu. What they said is beyond me but, it left her feeling real smug and yet she is taking a step back for now.

No worries CBS thought, as this fixed the immediate problem AND added the needed drama in the house with a boring cast of characters left behind, keeping the other houseguests ....guessing.

I'm not entirely opposed to the American MVP/3rd nominee vote, now that they realize that the voting needs to be better monitored. The HG's think that this was devised to out 'floaters' and I'm not crazy about that label.

I think the American MVP vote was initially (albeit naively) meant to give the others a chance to break up major, aggressive powerhouse alliances and level the playing field.

After all, the shows are considered 'social experiments' with different variables each season.