Author Topic: TAR is 0-5 at the 2013 Emmys; Loses to "The Voice"  (Read 9185 times)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
TAR is 0-5 at the 2013 Emmys; Loses to "The Voice"
« on: July 18, 2013, 03:48:28 PM »
The Emmy nominations are out and The Amazing Race is once again nominated in the category it has dominated, Outstanding Reality-Competition Program.

But this year, TAR is only nominated in five categories, down from seven last year.  And the two omissions are big ones.  Phil Keoghan is not nominated for Outstanding Host, the first time since 2009.  He was not nominated when the category was first introduced in 2008.  And Bertram Van Munster is not nominated for Outstanding Directing for Nonfiction Programming after five previous nominations

TAR submitted Episode 22.07, "Be Safe and Don't Hit a Cow."

Phil's snub seems to have made way for Anthony Bourdain to sneak into the category for The Taste, while Survivor scores two nominations in Directing for Nonfiction Programming for its two finales.

TAR's fellow nominees in the main Reality-Competition Program category are unchanged from last year; Dancing With the Stars, Project Runway, So You Think You Can Dance, Top Chef, and The Voice.

The Emmys will be handed out on Sunday, September 22nd on CBS

The Amazing Race's Emmy Nominations are:
OUTSTANDING REALITY-COMPETITION PROGRAM
OUTSTANDING CINEMATOGRPAHY FOR REALITY PROGRAMMING
OUTSTANDING PICTURE EDITING FOR REALITY PROGRAMMING
OUTSTANDING SOUND EDITING FOR NONFICTION PROGRAMMING
OUTSTANDING SOUND MIXING FOR NONFICTION PROGRAMMING
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:12:55 AM by dryedmangoez »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR Nominated for 5 Emmys, Phil and Bertram Snubbed!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 05:06:56 PM »
 :faint:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 06:02:11 PM »
It is very interesting and I can't help but be almost a little worried.  Nothing to panic about, but still, it's provokes some though.

If anything, I hope this pushes Bert & Co. to really try and freshen up the show and reinvigorate it, regardless of whether they win or not. 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 08:02:23 PM »
Thank you for sharing, and you are right, it is a bit concerning. Poor Phil. I like Betty, but really?? :groan:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 11:42:42 PM »
Betty White, I love her prank show, but Phil is a nominee in my heart. :luvya: I think it was a mistake entering the second Botswana leg for a running of the award. Bora Bora #1!
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:33:17 AM »
I do not know how Phil, the most outstanding host I have ever seen, can be overlooked.
Of course I do not watch many other reality shows.
Betty White is good, but her show was boring. Her age is in her favor.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 04:21:18 PM »
Betty White, I love her prank show, but Phil is a nominee in my heart. :luvya: I think it was a mistake entering the second Botswana leg for a running of the award. Bora Bora #1!

It should have been Leg 8 - I loved the Buchstaben Museum! :funny:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 08:11:11 AM »

Lovely letters! I'm pretty sure that was Leg 9/Berlin though. Leg 8 was train mania. :lol: I wish they could have used the letters they delivered to spell something though. That would have been so much fun! :conf:
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 01:47:51 PM »
Lovely letters! I'm pretty sure that was Leg 9/Berlin though. Leg 8 was train mania. :lol: I wish they could have used the letters they delivered to spell something though. That would have been so much fun! :conf:

No, I meant Leg 8. A mat without a Pit Stop is not the end of a leg in my book. It doesn't make any sense to call it a "Pit Stop" when there isn't actually a pit stop (in other words, a rest period) involved.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 10:14:55 PM »
Just like how I don't understand how Jeff Probst can win the category about 3-4 times and then totally not get nominated at all the following year.

It's like crowning a champion and then tell the champion you are not good enough to return next year. -_-

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 10:16:32 PM »
Ok I just saw the nominees...

Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program
Tom Bergeron for Dancing with the Stars (ABC)
Anthony Bourdain for The Taste (ABC)
Cat Deeley for So You Think You Can Dance (Fox)
Heidi Klum & Tim Gunn for Project Runway (Lifetime)
Ryan Seacrest for American Idol (Fox)
Betty White for Betty White's Off Their Rockers (NBC)

Wow. Really? -_-

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »
Betty, Cat, and Project Runway WTF??? Where's Phil and Jeff!
"Perception is not reality. Reality is reality!" - Erik Cardona

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 10:17:28 AM »
TAR was shut out in the technical categories which were announced at the Creative Arts presentation last night.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 07:21:16 PM »
Tonight is the night!! Fingers and toes are crossed!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 08:33:40 PM »
THE VOICE hands TAR its 2nd Emmy loss!

Can Bert and Co. work on freshening up the show now?  :hrt:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 09:27:16 PM »

Wow... :groan: Absolutely can't stand any singing/talent shows like Idol, Got Talent, X Factor, SYTYCD, or The Voice.

I have strong hopes for TAR23 this year though. Route seems a lot better. Thr past two seasons have been generally disappointing. :)

(I loved the behind the scenes choreography add-in for the EMMY.)

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 09:29:37 PM »

Wow... :groan: Absolutely can't stand any singing/talent shows like Idol, Got Talent, X Factor, or The Voice.

I have strong hopes for TAR23 this year though. Route seems a lot better. Thr past two seasons have been generally disappointing.

TAR22's route was stellar and TAR23's route really doesn't look that great outside of Europe?

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 09:33:12 PM »

Wow... :groan: Absolutely can't stand any singing/talent shows like Idol, Got Talent, X Factor, or The Voice.

I have strong hopes for TAR23 this year though. Route seems a lot better. Thr past two seasons have been generally disappointing.

TAR22's route was stellar and TAR23's route really doesn't look that great outside of Europe?
Route was alright, locations were outstanding (Bora Bora #1), but the tasks were just...  :(

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 09:37:36 PM »
That's too bad :'( :'(

I hope they can come up with something new. Let's just hope season 24 is amazing, just like season 18 when they lose Emmy for the first time.
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 12:33:41 AM »
Not a fan of the reality singing shows. I tried to watch The Voice, too boring and annoying. Only ones I kind of liked were The Singing Bee and Don't Forget the Lyrics. But I love The Amazing Race. I will root for Amazing Race for next year's Emmys.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 12:44:01 AM »
That's too bad :'( :'(

I hope they can come up with something new. Let's just hope season 24 is amazing, just like season 18 when they lose Emmy for the first time.
Was TAR18 the season they filmed after their first loss? Hmm... very interesting considering all our speculations about TAR24. Hehe, could TAR24 end up being very similar to TAR18? *wink*

The pessimistic side of me though is a little worried that the Emmys are quickly falling out of love with TAR. Though Survivor didn't necessarily rake in the Emmys, they slowly fell out of favor with the voters too. I hope that doesn't happen to TAR, starting with Phil getting snubbed this year.  I just really hope they can find a way to freshen the show up and show everyone how amazing TAR can still be.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 03:58:29 AM »
By freshening the show, you mean new twists? Because honestly, besides improving on the locations and tasks wise, the teams and twists are usually hit or miss and there's nothing much the production team can do except to ensure that they have chosen the most interesting/dynamic cast and created the most amazing route/tasks.

They have been trying to do this for many years and there's no reason that they could have gotten snub with TAR 22 last season. Though it's probably not as memorable as TAR 21, there were really many good teams, fun locations, exciting tasks, some of the teams with the best story line etc.

If you ask me, I'll rather they not change anything (unlike Survivor which just keep bringing back returning players), and just focus on the quality of the route and task and that's all it matters.

They probably lost this year, because it's probably a huge Emmy Pie to chew but so many shows want to have a bite. TAR hit or miss in some years for sure... but it will be back to us. :hrt: :) ;) ...because the producers have done it right for many years and it will continue to go that way. There's a reason why Survivor fell from the usual 28-30million viewers to the 10-11million viewers now, and even beaten by TAR at times.. and why TAR viewers always stayed at the 8-12million range... because as old viewers went, new one gets hooked up so easily by the whole theme of the 'race around the world'. It never gets old. :hearts:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 05:17:48 AM »
TAR was outstanding. TAR is always outstanding. So many negative Nellies around here all the time. Tis a pity they just cant sit back and enjoy the journey.

The Voice had an extraordinary season. Shakira and Usher were terrific. Adam and Blake are always great too. But The Voice had about 6 outstanding singers at the end. Just about anyone could have won. If I remember correctly, Michael Jackson's back up singer went out around 7. She was thought by many to be the winner from week one.

I watched AI the first year and the show was bout the singers....then it morphed into being about the judges....I haven't watched since early in the2nd year. I watched The Voice the first season, mainly because it was new. There wasn't much special about it to me. I normally watch through the battle rounds and then lose interest. This past season was different...I was good each and every week. So well done to The Voice for your win, it was well deserved.

The one thing that TAR and The Voice really have in common...it is about the contestants......as it should be. It will be interesting to see if The Voice gets a really good cast in the new season. IF they get mediocre singers...they wont fare as well.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 07:31:14 AM »
The one thing that TAR and The Voice really have in common...it is about the contestants......as it should be. It will be interesting to see if The Voice gets a really good cast in the new season. IF they get mediocre singers...they wont fare as well.

Yes... I have to agree the cast for last season of The Voice was extraordinary and it could have gone to anyone. If they had mediocre singer towards the end, they won't even be up for running for the award (like AI this year?)

TAR will be back, just as always! Watch out! :hrt:

Offline Andre

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »
Hopefully so. After 2 disappointed season(at least some give negative reviews for S21 and S22). Hoping for good for 23 and 24!!!
No one I think is in my tree... I mean it must be high alone