Author Topic: Worst TAR Leg  (Read 46289 times)

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Worst TAR Leg
« on: July 15, 2013, 05:42:44 AM »
Since there's a best TAR leg thread, I made a "Worst TAR leg" thread. :lol:

Anyway, I'll start the convo.

One of the worst has to be TAR 22 Switzerland.

We literally waited for two weeks. </3

Too many trains </3

An average Roadblock </3

No Detour </3

Chynona eliminated </3

The Switchback wasn't as good or memorable </3

Overall just a really really bad leg. The scenery was gorgeous but the leg was so bleargh.

Offline flair0310

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: Worst TAR Leg
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 05:49:57 AM »
For me it has to be the final leg in TAR 10.

Roadblock and Detour in Paris, then the flight to New York and then they did next to nothing in NYC ...

Plus a very anticlimactic finish.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 05:55:13 AM »
TAR21 Palma de Mallorca *chokes*, as well as TAR21 France *dies* were positively horrible legs. Palma had idiotic tasks, and so did France really, and had terrible results too :/

Offline Andre

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 06:33:39 AM »
Surabaya Part 2 in Season 21. I don't like it too much
France Part 1 Season 16, fictional war and Tour d' France. Not much drama, boring
Bangkok Season 19, Come on only unimportant fish task in Bangkok? Why not put the pit stop stay in Phuket?
And yeah, I agree that Switzerland Season 22 and last 2 legs before the finale of Season 21 are not that good.
No one I think is in my tree... I mean it must be high alone

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
TARAus2 Legs 5, 6, and 7. Poor leg designs with mid-leg travel and yields before intersections. :res: And having them right in a row. :tantrum

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »
TAR 22 Switzerland comes high on the list. Had problems staying awake watching that episode.

\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »
TAR4 Australia 2 was disgusting.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »
Since it aired on TV last night, I have to say.

TAR 21 Shanghai

It was seriously boring for a Leg 1. The tasks were boring to watch. I don't consider playing ping-pong compelling TV. And the task that DID have potential (eating hasma) disappointed. Just a really really bad start to a season I absolutely hate aside from some of the teams.

Offline aryanisetiawan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 09:45:42 AM »
- the finale of TAR 16, the worst finale ever
- the finale of TAR 19, the second worst finale ever
- Shanghai leg1 TAR 21, The worst China leg ever (very disappointing.)
- Indonesia leg2 TAR 21, very poor use of my country, pointless task. hard to say but worst leg of TAR 21
-Switzerland leg8 TAR 22, i love every legs in switzerland. i mean it. except for this one. i love every single legs in TAR 22. i also mean it. except for this one too. thus making this leg the worst switzerland leg, and the worst leg in TAR 22

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 11:07:42 AM »
Aus 2 Leg 2
"Perception is not reality. Reality is reality!" - Erik Cardona

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 11:10:03 AM »
As in = TARAus2 Leg 2

or

TAR2 Australia 2?

Offline wcpamotm

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 06:04:41 PM »
The Race 22 Switzerland leg was pretty bad, structure-wise - but at least it had lovely mountain scenery to look at along the way.  My nomination however is TAR8 Leg 3.

Yes, I know the Family Edition gets a lot of brickbats, but I thought its first two legs were pretty well put together.  That came to a screeching halt in Leg 3.  We have a detour where a risky choice did not offer any particular time advantage over the safe choice, which still didn't make a lot of difference as there was a charter bus semi-equalizer.  We were treated to the scenic wonders of a Waffle House.  Then at the other end, the leg placement was entirely decided by pulling a number, among teams that just got off the bus!
We can put a man on the moon, so why can't we have a Fast Forward in every leg?

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 07:04:54 PM »
TAR 14 in...well, lots of places. Germany had a Detour involving Austrian food and an American invention, Romania had fake gypsies and fake Dracula, India had a Detour where BEGGING ON THE STREET was the better option, Phuket had the convenient trip to a zoo known for their bouts of animal cruelty, and Beijing had a leg devoted to how awesome Michael Phelps was.

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 09:16:56 PM »
As in = TARAus2 Leg 2

or

TAR2 Australia 2?
The first one

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »
Why? TARAus 2, apart from Dubai - Cuba were all stellar.

Offline themikko95

• RFF Full Member
  • Kym/Alli for the win!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »
TAR20 leg 2 in Argentina bored the hell out of me.  :res:
Dustin/Kandice, Jaime/Cara and Pam/Winnie = goddesses!

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 11:11:42 PM »
It's hard for me to like India legs, and i just did not enjoy that leg. The second India leg was decent though, the roadblock saved it.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 12:21:27 AM »
Here's my time to shine and rant excessively about bad legs!  :hearts: lol Here's my personal thoughts on the top 8 worst legs ever in order (U.S. version only):
7] TAR21 (Leg 2)- Indonesia, of course. :groan: Surabaya... The bullriding task shocked me like Gretchen realizing she didn't have to ride inside a giant, wooden elephant. First of all, what was the point of staying there all night and morning waiting for a motorcycle ride across a field? Second, why haven't they even visited Jakarta completely and skipped to Surabaya? The Roadblock and Detour were pretty good thanks to the Texies and Twinnies' foot race.
6] TAR13 (Leg 2)- Some of you may be surprised, but I really could not find any reason to like this leg. Editing crews did a good job sugarcoating it with drama and "Where's the container?" confusion, but looking at the bigger picture, the bigger picture says the bigger advertisements on a wall drove me up the wall. That makes sense right? ??? The Detour was unmemorable to me. I personally did not like the janganda to ocean choice. The shipping container choice was original, but I wish teams could have received a code to unlock a container.
5] TAR15 (Leg 1)- The starting line elimination was so stupid. So stupid that China Rush eliminated the most entertaining team with that twist. Although I was kind of glad Eric & Lisa were eliminated since Eric was shaping up to be the biggest douche we've ever seen (Lisa was sweet, she doesn't need a guy acting like an egomaniac), they still could have gotten a 30-minute penalty and flew to Japan instead of only seeing a river with banks painted with awful graffiti. The wasabi bomb Roadblock was original and cool, but everyone was equalized there so it really wasn't a race in the first leg when the only task after eating is to lead a group of Tokyo locals to a shrine/temple.
4] TAR19 (Leg 5)- What was the point of two Roadblocks? Thai nature is so serene, it definitely needs a more unique task than finding a carp underwater. The spirit house tasks were so predictable from the point Phil said to disassemble them. Justin & Jen knew, did you? Again, the bus ride equalizer nullifies most progress made by the racers during this leg. Feeding the fishies were pointless.
3/tie] TAR16 (Finale)- I kind of wanted to barsh after seeing this finale route. Some of the places visited I have never heard of and I have lived in San Francisco for a good 13+ years of my childhood and occassionally visit a friend there. Rappelling off of Coit Tower was rather uninteresting compared to scaling across pods on the Singapore Flyer. The Star Wars task made me want to cringe as I had no idea the movie graphics were made in a San Francisco film studio, plus I hated the Star Wars series. Elimination order with the posters were okay, but apparently too easy.
3/tie] TAR22 (Leg 3)- If it wasn't for Chuck & Wynona, this leg would have sucked so much than it really is. First of all, what is shmozzle? I'm still asking that after months TAR22 has aired. Can't wait for years or never to find out the truly real definition of that "word". Both Detour choices arenhorrible and not even cultural to the South Island of New Zealand. Way to represent Southern New Zealand for Phil, WRP! :res:
2] TAR21 (Leg 9)- This is the most boring leg I have ever watched that it's so unreal. The Fast Forward was so random mixing a duck bus with eating herrings. I like Fast Forwards which are like the head shaving, Singapore Flyer scaling, windmill blade rides, once-in-a-lifetime experiences. I think anybody would have done that since you are just riding a bus and eating a local fish. Too tourist attraction-y. The Detour was so boring and forgettable that I had to check Wikipedia for the Detour choices and I still remember Pat & Brenda's unfortunate mistake of not taking the shortcut on the train ride into Marseille. The Switchback Roadblock worked in season 12 when there were ten teams and there was a larger stream to vault across. This season featured it like an active route info. Not entertaining. Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the U-Turn. :groan:
1] TAR22 (Leg 8 )- This Switzerland leg was a joke, right? It didn't even feel like a race as teams were mostly all clustered in train cars waiting to arrive at a snowy hill which made Chynona's bickering pretty pointless. I never again want to see or hear a train in my life (sarcasm). The Roadblock was horrible. It would have been 1000x better if teams had to actually climb Eiger than stand on a plank and traverse across it to grab a Gnome. Just because "traverse" is a big word for adventure, doesn't mean it's going to be amazing. After hearing Meghan's personal recap of the leg, she "claims" the Switchback was actually a side of a Detour. Hmmm... mistaken in words or not? ???

(TAR22's Leg 4, Both TAR21 Bangladesh legs, TAR20's Leg 2, and TAR3's Leg 8 barely escaped the list.)
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 12:28:16 AM »
TAR 16, Shanghai 2. Far and away the worst leg ever.

The Roadblock was to count things, which was the same Roadblock two legs before that in Singapore, and had a nearly identical answer (523 and 521).

Everyone did the same Detour, which was a needle in a haystack in a crowded room in a shopping mall. Not exactly beautiful Shanghai.

At least the Speed Bump was an interesting idea, but Louie & Michael finished it in like 30 seconds.

Not to mention that it was a Final 4 leg. I hated that it became a needle in a haystack to determine who made it to the Final 3.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 12:36:37 AM »
she "claims" the Switchback was actually a side of a Detour. Hmmm... mistaken in words or not? ???

I think she meant that there WAS a Detour that leg, and everyone chose the cheese so the other option was unaired.

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 01:33:19 AM »
@Rachel I was disappointed they didn't actually do anything in Christchurch regarding the earthquakes. I felt both of them and they were terrifying where I live. Should of tried to go close to the CBD and do a moment of silence.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 11:33:59 AM »
The Race 22 Switzerland leg was pretty bad, structure-wise - but at least it had lovely mountain scenery to look at along the way.  My nomination however is TAR8 Leg 3.

Yes, I know the Family Edition gets a lot of brickbats, but I thought its first two legs were pretty well put together.  That came to a screeching halt in Leg 3.  We have a detour where a risky choice did not offer any particular time advantage over the safe choice, which still didn't make a lot of difference as there was a charter bus semi-equalizer.  We were treated to the scenic wonders of a Waffle House.  Then at the other end, the leg placement was entirely decided by pulling a number, among teams that just got off the bus!

YES THIS. I felt so bad for the Aiello family that they were eliminated because of pulling the last number. It was a terribly structured leg with only one thing that determined who went home.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »
she "claims" the Switchback was actually a side of a Detour. Hmmm... mistaken in words or not? ???

I think she meant that there WAS a Detour that leg, and everyone chose the cheese so the other option was unaired.

Two likely possibilities:
NO SWITCHBACK: it really wasn't a Switchback after all since we've seen TAR14 do the original task as a route info and Meghan mentions it as a Detour. Switchbacks must be the same clue format (Roadblock, Route Info, Fast Forward, Detour) as the mother concept to be called a TAR legal "Switchback". So maybe that is why we saw two "Switchbacks", the Switzerland leg did NOT have a switchback.
YES SWITCHBACK: If only Meghan had a slip of a tongue, then that's okay.

@Rachel I was disappointed they didn't actually do anything in Christchurch regarding the earthquakes. I felt both of them and they were terrifying where I live. Should of tried to go close to the CBD and do a moment of silence.
I know, right. If they stayed in Christchurch, it would have been a much better leg. What did TAR22's New Zealand visit actually open about NZ culture? Nothing. TAR2 provided adventure in the bungee jump, TAR13 opened historic doors about the Maori aboriginals and the significance of the kiwi plant, the recent leg in NZ was a joke. You could do those tasks in rural Alabama and it would still be better than having them in New Zealand.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

MrDeerShank

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »
Take it fwiw but Meghan, at one point at least, mentioned a Detour as a Roadblock in a different recap - if memory serbes correctly, it was Botswana 1

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
I know, right. If they stayed in Christchurch, it would have been a much better leg. What did TAR22's New Zealand visit actually open about NZ culture? Nothing. TAR2 provided adventure in the bungee jump, TAR13 opened historic doors about the Maori aboriginals and the significance of the kiwi plant, the recent leg in NZ was a joke. You could do those tasks in rural Alabama and it would still be better than having them in New Zealand.

Agreed, I liked the locations they went to being that I live about an hour and a half from there but the tasks were meh.
It's Clobbering Time!