Author Topic: Worst TAR Leg  (Read 46440 times)

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Worst TAR Leg
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2017, 03:38:02 AM »
Leg 6 of TAR 29
worst ever leg to have a double u-turn

Even worse than TAR 28's leg 10

In an international sense, I'd say TARA5's penultimate leg.

That leg U-Turn design (before the Detour) doomed Treasuri & Louisa, anyway.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Online NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2018, 12:46:46 AM »
As much as I love the older seasons more than the new ones, there are some legs I don't like. I'll be talking about one of my personal least favorite legs for right now. One of my least favorite legs from the older seasons has to be TAR 5 Leg 7. (Luxor, Egypt--- Nairobi, Kenya---> Kilimanjaro, Tanzania) I do not like how this leg is designed. It does one of the most infuriating things ever. Going to Kenya and signing up for flights to Tanzania. Why would they go to Kenya just for an airport stop. I know this is a long time ago and can't do anything about right now. (If you want to know how long ago it was TAR 5 visited the UAE when the tallest building in the world, Burj Khalifa was starting to be built.) This is why I want Kenya to be visited again. Let's move on to the Detour now, I know the some of Detours back then were lopsided, but this one was boring. Seeing teams just carry stuff from one place to another feels like an India or hot-scorching heat thing, to make teams more exhausted. The only redeeming quality about this was Chip's reaction to his own people. The Roadblock is the only thing I liked about this leg. It was technically the first ever Switchback. If you don't know there was unaired Roadblock in TAR 1 Leg 1 where one member of the team had to cook an Ostrich Egg, then both of them had to eat it. This was made available on the TAR 1 DVD. This one was done much better where the team member had to cook and eat the egg by his/herself. The way they had to go to the Pit Stop was stupid. A first-come, first-serve to the Pit Stop is a big no-no from me. Teams had to use zip-lines to go to the Pit Stop. It makes it unfair for the teams. I don't know what the majority of RFF feels about this leg, but I personally find it horrible. I did like the all of TAR 5, just not this leg.

Online RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2018, 01:23:38 PM »
As much as I love the older seasons more than the new ones, there are some legs I don't like. I'll be talking about one of my personal least favorite legs for right now. One of my least favorite legs from the older seasons has to be TAR 5 Leg 7. (Luxor, Egypt--- Nairobi, Kenya---> Kilimanjaro, Tanzania) I do not like how this leg is designed. It does one of the most infuriating things ever. Going to Kenya and signing up for flights to Tanzania. Why would they go to Kenya just for an airport stop. I know this is a long time ago and can't do anything about right now. (If you want to know how long ago it was TAR 5 visited the UAE when the tallest building in the world, Burj Khalifa was starting to be built.) This is why I want Kenya to be visited again. Let's move on to the Detour now, I know the some of Detours back then were lopsided, but this one was boring. Seeing teams just carry stuff from one place to another feels like an India or hot-scorching heat thing, to make teams more exhausted. The only redeeming quality about this was Chip's reaction to his own people. The Roadblock is the only thing I liked about this leg. It was technically the first ever Switchback. If you don't know there was unaired Roadblock in TAR 1 Leg 1 where one member of the team had to cook an Ostrich Egg, then both of them had to eat it. This was made available on the TAR 1 DVD. This one was done much better where the team member had to cook and eat the egg by his/herself. The way they had to go to the Pit Stop was stupid. A first-come, first-serve to the Pit Stop is a big no-no from me. Teams had to use zip-lines to go to the Pit Stop. It makes it unfair for the teams. I don't know what the majority of RFF feels about this leg, but I personally find it horrible. I did like the all of TAR 5, just not this leg.
I do agree that the leg structure of the Tanzanian leg was weird considering, like you said, the zip-line (which season 16's Sentosa visit did more rationally by having the Pit Stop and the task separately navigated), the limits of air travel then (though I did love watching the airport drama that ensued often from it), and I was more than a bit biased for that leg as well due to other reasons (one look at my profile picture and you see why). I didn't think the Detour was boring. Teams had to use a cart to put the furniture on and some had trouble navigating the dirt paths. That alone can seemingly give the other option an easier time due to simply getting there and getting it done.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2018, 02:11:08 PM »
TAR 1: Ao Nang, Thailand (Leg 10)
TAR 2: Auckland, New Zealand (Leg 11)
TAR 3: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia & Singapore (Leg 10)
TAR 4: Cairns, Australia (Leg 12)
TAR 5: Rotorua, New Zealand (Leg 10)
TAR 6: Honolulu & Chicago, USA (Leg 13)
TAR 7: Buenos Aires, Argentina (Leg 4)
TAR 8: Charleston & Huntsville, USA (Leg 3)
TAR 9: Catania & Siracusa, Italy (Leg 5)
TAR 10: Antananarivo, Madagascar (Leg 8 )
TAR 11: Krakow, Poland (Leg 7)
TAR 12: Taiwan (Leg 10)
TAR 13: Fortaleza, Brazil (Leg 2)
TAR 14: Bavaria, Germany & Salzburg, Austria (Leg 2)
TAR 15: Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Leg 4)
TAR 16: Verdun, France (Leg 5)
TAR 17: Narvik, Norway (Leg 5)
TAR 18: Florida Keys, USA (Leg 12)
TAR 19: Phuket & Bangkok, Thailand (Leg 5)
TAR 20: Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania (Leg 7)
TAR 21: Istanbul, Turkey (Leg 6)
TAR 22: Grindelwald, Switzerland (Leg 8 )
TAR 23: Al Ain, UAE (Leg 8 )
TAR 24: Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia (Leg 3)
TAR 25: Atlas Mountains, Morocco (Leg 6)
TAR 26: Nagano, Japan (Leg 2)
TAR 27: San Antonio de Areco, Argentina (Leg 3)
TAR 28: Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia (Leg 10)
TAR 29: Lake Como, Italy (Leg 6)
TAR 30: Prague, Czech Republic (Leg 6)

Absolute worst for me is TAR 4 Leg 12 (Cairns)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:18:51 PM by Xoruz »

Offline Wadsy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2018, 01:07:37 AM »
TAR 19 Leg 4.

That one annoys me so much!

I agree ^^ Probably still my least favourite leg of the entire show. You could tell the producers had something else in mind, or just nothing at all.
Wadsy

Offline Wadsy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2018, 04:52:37 AM »
TAR 1: Les Baux de Provence, France (Leg 3)
TAR 2: Bangkok, Thailand (Leg 5)
TAR 3: Marrakech, Morocco (Leg 6)
TAR 4: Manukan Island, Malaysia (Leg 8 )
TAR 5: El Nido, Philippines (Leg 12)
TAR 6: Honolulu & Chicago, USA (Leg 12)
TAR 7: Khwai, Botswana (Leg 7)
TAR 8: Charleston & Huntsville, USA (Leg 3)
TAR 9: Catania & Siracusa, Italy (Leg 5)
TAR 10: Ha Long Bay, Vietnam (Leg 4)
TAR 11: San Pedro de Atacama, Chile (Leg 2)
TAR 12: Girdwood, Alaska (Leg 11)
TAR 13: Fortaleza, Brazil (Leg 2)
TAR 14: Bangkok, Thailand (Leg 8 )
TAR 15: Prague, Czech Republic (Leg 10)
TAR 16: Verdun, France (Leg 5)
TAR 17: Hong Kong, China (Leg 10)
TAR 18: Varanasi, India (Leg 7)
TAR 19: Phuket, Thailand (Leg 4) - Worst leg of the entire show
TAR 20: Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania (Leg 7)
TAR 21: Surabaya, Indonesia (Leg 2)
TAR 22: Belfast, Northern Ireland (Leg 11)
TAR 23: Iquique, Chile (Leg 1)
TAR 24: Guangzhou, China (Leg 1)
TAR 25: Marrakesh, Morocco (Leg 6)
TAR 26: Phuket, Thailand (Leg 3)
TAR 27: Buenos Aires, Argentina (Leg 2)
TAR 28: Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia (Leg 10)
TAR 29: Lake Como, Italy (Leg 6)
TAR 30: Prague, Czech Republic (Leg 6)
Wadsy

Online BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2018, 05:08:20 AM »
The two Australian legs on TAR4, were just plain disgusting!

Offline Wadsy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2018, 02:26:21 AM »
Why is that? I didn't mind the twelfth leg but the Brisbane episode was quite underwhelming for me personally.
Wadsy

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2018, 10:12:01 AM »
Most of TAR4, honestly, with the exception of the South Korean leg. No wonder the show nearly got cancelled.

(So glad TAR5 came round to save the franchise.)

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2018, 10:31:05 AM »
I wasn't too keen on Harare in TAR30. The leg was literally 2 tasks (and the Detour choices weren't the most interesting things, either) relying on a U-Turn to pad the episode.

Offline Cyzoran

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »
The two legs in season 30 that had a head to head.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Offline Wadsy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2018, 09:05:57 PM »
The Cairns leg in season 4 gets a lot of flack, but I honestly enjoyed it a lot. Far better than everything prior since The Netherlands, excluding Borneo leg 9 which was a thrill ride. The tasks in the twelfth leg were fun.
Wadsy

Online BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2018, 01:10:33 AM »
Why is that? I didn't mind the twelfth leg but the Brisbane episode was quite underwhelming for me personally.

They go to the Sunshine Coast, when they REALLY should of gone to the Gold Coast (which far closer to Brisbane!)

The Gold Coast is SO MUCH BETTER than Sunshine Coast and is the BEST CITY IN AUSTRALIA (yes, even better than Melbourne!)

And the Cairns leg... DO NOT GET ME STARTED!  :furious: :cheer:

Gra1162

« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2018, 10:39:22 AM »

The Gold Coast is SO MUCH BETTER than Sunshine Coast and is the BEST CITY IN AUSTRALIA (yes, even better than Melbourne)
:lol:

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2018, 09:44:20 AM »
You folks have much better memories than me. Trying to remember individual tasks from every episode over the years isn't easy.

Recently, I'll say TAR30 Leg 6. I really loathe having the U-turn before the actual detour. Then combine that with the fact that it was a "blind" detour (don't know the task beforehand), and it was just completely unfair. Trevor and Chris were eliminated by no fault of their own, despite running a good leg. I'm pretty sure a team was eliminated in s29 like this as well, but I haven't rewatched that season.

I'll agree with the sentiment of the Switzerland leg in season 22, which I watched somewhat recently. Too many train equalizers, and the switchback wasn't too exciting the second time.

But for me, I'll remember 2 of the worst legs always being the finales of season 10 and 11. The final city segments of those seasons are just so, so terrible. They don't even get to NYC in season 10 until there's like 5 minutes left in the episode. And the less said about that final task in season 11, the better. I was glad when it went to the one city finale format starting season 12.

The one city finale format has had some clunkers as well, in particular seasons 16, 23, and 28. But part of that is just that the finales get quite boring when one team is really far in front.

Offline DavidJunior

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2018, 11:17:43 AM »
I'd have to nominate S28 L4 as one- mainly because it was so good up until train equalizers basically ruined it all.

There were some fun, inventive, challenging tasks throughout the leg- and I found myself foolishly grinning throughout, but to have all of that almost not matter at all for any of the placements, and really it coming down to a footrace to the pit stop (and for 8 out of the 9 teams it did)- it just really sours the whole leg for me.

It had potential to be one of the best legs of the franchise- and that's why I'd classify it as one of the worst.

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2019, 06:01:00 AM »
The two legs in season 30 that had a head to head.

Oh yeah that was bad
but leg 1 is the worse for that season, i dont like the buggy and vodka challenge
Swarm stupidity

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2019, 08:36:50 PM »
TAR31 Leg 7 :groan:

Poor leg design with first-come-first-serve roadblock and one-side of the detour, with a helicopter ride between those  :groan:
Only self-driving to task and the other side of the detour (which the wait for funicular takes up most time) can change teams position  :groan:

Offline Wadsy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2020, 05:38:00 PM »
Looking back at all seasons, I will just be pointing out what I would consider to be the worst legs overall:

TAR4 Legs 11 & 12
TAR7 Leg 7
TAR9 Leg 6 (Italy 2)
TAR10 Leg 11
TAR11 Leg 2 & 12
TAR15 Legs 10 & 11
TAR18 Leg 9
TAR19 Legs 4 & 5
TAR22 Legs 3 & 8
TAR24 All of them
TAR28 Leg 4
Wadsy

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2020, 10:11:25 AM »
Addsome reasons to that post? Inquiring minds want to know!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2020, 12:17:32 AM »
TAR24 definitely deserves to be forgotten. But I do think the Sri Lanka Legs were great. The tuktuk gasoline Road Block especially actually reminds me very much of this week's fun chaos on TAR32.

Offline Wadsy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2020, 12:47:43 AM »
TAR4 Legs 11 & 12 - Both weak legs in my opinion, showcasing not much exciting about Australia. The 11th leg was just very dull with not much happening throughout, and the 12th leg was completely unnecessary, again a rather boring episode.
TAR7 Leg 7 - The lack of any equalizers ruined this for me. Where some complained about TAR6's over use of bunching (I never thought so), this season went the opposite direction. While it wasn't an issue for me most of the time, this leg was definitely unforgivable and Brian & Greg had no chance of catching up.
TAR9 Leg 6 (Italy 2) - Compared with the previous leg in Italy which was good, this one was a snooze fest as there were no equalizers and was just rather weak with unexciting tasks.
TAR10 Leg 11 - This is one of the worst penultimate legs of all time in my opinion. Why have a roadblock in one country, then move over to another for a detour? The lack of Route Info clues also ruined it for me.
TAR11 Leg 2 & 12 - The former suffers only from lack of tasks - where teams start a leg, go somewhere and it's a Roadblock, then move to another and its the Detour then straight to the pit stop. The locations were underwhelming, as were the lack of many route info clues. The latter suffers from just being a weak penultimate leg overall, and I felt it should have taken place in Asia or Australia/New Zealand.
TAR15 Legs 10 & 11 - This is a hard one to explain, but I just didn't like either leg. Leg 10 is worse because the tasks were lazy, meaning the detour really. It was a predictable NEL, and leg 11 was sorta boring. I am just not a fan of the season overall but the back half is definitely worse.
TAR18 Leg 9 - Placing a Double U-Turn right before the pit stop, and there ya go.
TAR19 Legs 4 & 5 - These felt put together at the last minute and I remember reading somewhere that they were meant to go to another country for the fourth/fifth legs but changed it to Thailand at the last minute. Leg 4 is easily the worst episode in TAR history for me - it outright stinks, and leg 5 isn't much better considering the leg design.
TAR22 Legs 3 & 8 - I am from NZ, and the third leg was a poorly designed leg where they easily could have gone somewhere more exciting - like Queenstown, Fiordland or the area in general. The eighth leg as well for the same reasons everyone else here said.
TAR24 All of them
TAR28 Leg 4 - Why travel from Columbia to Switzerland, only to then travel to France just for a pit stop?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 12:54:07 AM by Wadsy »
Wadsy