Author Topic: TAR Canada 1 Contestants - Tim Hague Sr. and Tim Hague Jr. - Father and Son  (Read 5643 times)

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
TAR Canada Contestants - Tim Hague Sr. and Tim Hague Jr.
No Spoilers Please!

Tim Hague Sr. and Tim Hague Jr.  Father and Son  

Tim Hague Sr.

Nickname: n/a
Hometown: Winnipeg, MB
Place of Birth: Robstown, Texas, USA
Couldn’t live without: Coffee
Strengths: Endurance, physical activity, trivia, medical treatments, reading people
Fears/Phobias: Slight claustrophobia
Favourite travel destination: New York City

Tim Hague Jr.

Nickname: n/a
Hometown: Winnipeg, MB
Place of Birth: Winnipeg, MB
Couldn’t live without: “My NBA app”
Strengths: Solid all-around athlete, talkative, friendly
Fears/Phobias: “Committing (overcame when I proposed to my wife!)”
Favourite travel destination: “A cabin on the lake...doesn’t matter where”

TEAM BIO
Tim Sr.’s wife Sheryl, and mother to Tim Jr., had the idea that this father and son duo would make a great team for THE AMAZING RACE CANADA. As the eldest of four children, Tim Jr. and his father spend a lot of time together and he shares his father’s positive outlook. “I relish the chance to work with my dad,” says Tim Jr. “We get along great but we have never truly pushed each other. I can’t wait to do that.”
Three years ago Tim Sr. was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, which he has attacked with incredible optimism. Tim Sr. refuses to yield to the condition, and states “It doesn’t mean you can’t still compete...or have to go quietly into the night.” Currently Tim Sr. has completed a triathlon, and multiple half marathons, with his sights on many more this summer, while Tim Jr. just completed his first half marathon.
This energetic and highly confident pair has never travelled east of Manitoba, and hope to see Quebec City as one of the destinations on the Race.

Motto: “Just because you’ve been given a diagnosis does not mean the end of your life.”
How will they plan to win The Race: “Have an amazingly fun time and see how far we can get. Build each other up at all times!”
Number one roadblock as team: “Both of us have pretty strong personalities so it will be a challenge to make sure we’re always positive with each other.”

READ MORE: Tim Sr. and Tim Jr. hoping to inspire others during their time on ‘Amazing Race Canada’
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:06:23 AM by georgiapeach »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Team photos
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
 Running for his life Local Amazing Race Canada contestant faces a bigger challenge every day than the ones he tackled on reality show Watching TV By: Brad Oswald

Yes, it was amazing. And challenging. And inspiring, at times frightening, consistently exhausting and, in the end, quite rewarding.

But for Winnipegger Tim Hague, 48, who competed in The Amazing Race Canada alongside 23-year-old son Tim Jr., the reality-TV competition was nothing compared to the real race he's in.

Hague, who was diagnosed with early-onset Parkinson's disease three years ago, is inclined to treat every day like a full-on sprint in order to make sure no opportunity is missed and no regrets are accumulated.
"Parkinson's is generally seen as an old man's disease, right?" says Hague, a native of Robstown, Texas, who moved to Winnipeg nearly 25 years ago after meeting his wife, Sheryl, at a Bible college in Kansas. "It's grandpa or the old guy who gets it; it's rarely a 30-something or a 40-something you think of when you think of Parkinson's.

"I know a couple of things: without a cure, this disease will win the war. It will. And I can deal with that. It's the day-to-day that you have to wrap your head around, and that factors well into The Amazing Race, because it's all about persistence and perseverance. You've got to stand up and face this thing every day and do what you've got to do... In the Race, as in life, you get up every morning, face the damned thing, and kick its ass.
"You have to. Because if you don't, not only will it win the war, it will also beat you down every day."
While his indomitable can-do spirit made him a perfect candidate for the Canadian version of The Amazing Race, it was actually wife Sheryl's faithful fan interest in the long-running CBS series that led to both Tims taking part in the show.
"She was a large part of the motivation," explains Hague, a registered nurse who works at St. Boniface General Hospital. "Quite frankly, I probably wouldn't have applied on my own... But she has watched every season of the show, and was very interested in her and I doing it together. But when we looked at the requirements -- they wanted a commitment of five weeks of your life, and the idea of leaving both of our jobs when we've got 15-year-old twins at home just wasn't practical -- she came back and said, 'You and Timothy are applying.'

"So we spent about a day-and-a-half putting the (audition) video together; I typed up an email and sent it and then forgot about it. I didn't hold out a whole lot of hope that we'd get called, but lo and behold, we did get a call, and the rest is history."
The Hagues are one of nine two-person teams competing in The Amazing Race Canada, which takes place fully within this country's borders and offers its winners a $250,000 cash prize, a pair of 2014 Corvette Stingrays and an opportunity to travel free for a year, first class, to anywhere Air Canada flies.
Hague says the fact he has made fitness a major part of his life during the past couple of decades played a big part in his being able to race despite his Parkinson's diagnosis.
"I'm very fortunate," Hague explains. "About 20 years ago, I started running and cycling. I've done one short triathlon, a full marathon and a bunch of half-marathons. And that has preserved my well-being; my neurologist tells me that every time I see him. Not only am in better shape than most people with Parkinson's, I'm in better shape than most people, period. And that is the reason I'm doing as well as I am.
"I'm not on any meds; I can do pretty much whatever I want. I can't run as fast as I used to, but that may have more to do with being closer to 50 than 20. I'm in great shape compared to most people, and it has been pointed out to me over and over that that is a result of 20 years of hard exercise."
That said, Hague admits that the disease was a consideration for him and Tim Jr. throughout their Amazing Race experience.
"It was a factor in the race, absolutely," he says. "I get tired; I get brutally tired -- that's the No. 1 thing I deal with. And when I get tired, it throws my emotions off and I can experience these huge emotional swings when I'm exhausted.
"So I knew going in that I had to stay rested, because it really wears me down. The fatigue gets worse, the stiffness gets worse, and I just can't function right. So we worked hard at making sure I got down time -- when we were down, we did nothing except rest and eat -- and we survived it."
Hague says he hopes his involvement in The Amazing Race Canada will raise awareness and funds for the fight against Parkinson's -- in addition to the weekly CTV series, their Race exploits will be highlighted on Facebook, Twitter (@timtimeARC) and YouTube.
"I'm also doing the Parkinson SuperWalk on Sept. 7, which is to raise money for research towards a cure," he adds, "so people can visit the website and support me."
Hague says Canadians should be proud, rather than concerned or skeptical, about CTV's decision to restrict the Canuck version of The Amazing Race to domestic destinations only.
"I grew up in the States; I've lived here for 24 years," he says. "Canadians need to get their heads around the fact that this is a phenomenal country. I guarantee you Canadians are going to be impressed by what they see; to think that we will spend upwards of 10 episodes showcasing this country is absolutely amazing in and of itself.
"We should be fundamentally proud that anybody would take the time to show off Canada like this. I don't care if their original reasons were budget or otherwise; this is a tribute to Canada that every Canadian should fully appreciate."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/entertainment/TV/running-for-his-life-215350251.html
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR Canada Contestants - Tim Hague Sr. and Tim Hague Jr. - Father and Son
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:00:09 AM »
are they asain or black

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:04:19 AM »
Black IIRC.

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 02:24:05 PM »
FROM CTV.CA:
http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/Articles/Articles/Tim_Tim_winners_finale_interview.aspx

Perseverance helped Tim Sr. and Tim Jr. win 'The Amazing Race Canada'

By Sheri Block - 9/17/2013 8:57:04 AM

Luck may have kept them in the game but perseverance is what helped Tim Hague Sr. and Tim Hague Jr. win “The Amazing Race Canada.”

“We’re students of the game enough to know that if you can stay calm, stay focused, get through the next bump, whatever it is, you never, ever know what’s going to happen,” says Tim Sr., who was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease three years ago.

“You just never give up,” adds Tim Jr.

The father and son team from Winnipeg, Man., became the first ever winners of the Canadian reality series after being the first to cross the finish line on Monday night’s finale, securing themselves a $250,000 prize, two 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingrays and the chance to fly free for a year anywhere Air Canada flies worldwide. 

Brothers Jody and Cory Mitic finished in second place, while sisters Vanessa Morgan and Celina Mziray were a close third. 

The motto of ‘not giving up’ never rang more true for Tim and Tim than during the final leg of the “Race” in Toronto, when the father and son found themselves behind all the other teams after struggling to locate the clue box at the Toronto Zoo.

But even though they were in last place when they arrived at the final Roadblock challenge – matching the flags and flowers to each of the provinces and territories they had visited along the way – Tim Sr. nailed the task on the second try and he and his son headed to the Pit Stop at Olympic Island ahead of the other teams.

Tim Sr. explains that his wife, an avid fan of the U.S. version of “The Amazing Race,” tipped him off before he left that the final challenge was often a memory one.

He says he picked up on the flowers on the very first leg in Kelowna, B.C., and he and his son started taking notes.

“As soon as we saw (the flag) on the clue and we got to the mat and the greeter was wearing the flower . . . we started watching for them,” says Tim Sr. 

“I had that little seed of confidence that the other two teams didn’t know (that was coming). That was not luck.”

It may not have been luck that helped them win that challenge, but the father and son certainly had their share of luck during the “Race” after being saved by a non-elimination leg – twice.

Tim Sr. says they received a lot of feedback from fans on Twitter, who thought the team should’ve been disqualified.

“The fact is we got those two non-elims, we also got the speedbumps, we also kicked those speedbumps’ butts and we worked hard to overcome those deficiencies that we had,” said Tim Sr.

The team also received a lot of feedback for their choice to U-turn “BodyBreak” fitness icons Hal Johnson and Joanne McLeod during a particularly hard leg in Regina in episode five.

“We’ve received lots of flack but we’ve also actually received a lot of support for that. I like to say half of Canada loves us and half of Canada also hates us now,” says Tim Jr. with a laugh.

“A lot of people appreciated the move, appreciated how it was just an intelligent way to get a strong team out.”

As well as being able to say they were the first team to win “The Amazing Race Canada,” Tim Sr. says winning means even more considering he was able to do it despite the challenges of Parkinson’s disease.

“Hope is the motivator for all things. We persevered through very difficult things,” he says.

“It’s so encouraging to me to see how it’s been so encouraging to others. There are so many people that say, ‘If you can do that, then I can do this’ whatever they’re facing, and that’s huge,” he says.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline toronto14

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 10:38:41 PM »
So no "parent-child" team has ever won the American version of TAR. But are Tim and Tim the first ever parent-child team to win any version of the Race? Or have there been other parent-child winners in other international versions? If they're the first that's very cool! Anyone know? Thanks

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 08:50:27 AM »
So no "parent-child" team has ever won the American version of TAR. But are Tim and Tim the first ever parent-child team to win any version of the Race? Or have there been other parent-child winners in other international versions? If they're the first that's very cool! Anyone know? Thanks

First ever I think  :conf:

Offline toronto14

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 10:13:40 AM »
Sweet thanks!

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
and frist blacks to win inerttnatoinal desnatoin race