Author Topic: It's getting ugly out there!  (Read 45111 times)

Offline HurricaneHowieWood

• Big Brother Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • Reality TV! Pick your poison!
Re: It's getting ugly out there!
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »
It looks like CBS is attaching it's own little "we don't condone" statement to the live feeds now.

Logged in tonight, and before the feeds, this window popped up.
Like Us On FB: Reality Fan Forum

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2013, 08:34:12 AM »
It looks like CBS is attaching it's own little "we don't condone" statement to the live feeds now.

Logged in tonight, and before the feeds, this window popped up.

A "first" for sure...
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

• Big Brother Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2013, 11:06:38 PM »
As mentioned in out live show discussion threads tonight another "first" in the history of Big Brother:

Big Brother Slapped With Disclaimer — What'd It Say? And Are You Buying What Aaryn's Selling?

by Matt Webb Mitovich and Rebecca Iannucci

CBS further distanced itself from the prejudicial views being expressed by certain Big Brother Houseguests by slapping an advisory on this Sunday’s episode.

The installment that followed found Aaryn and Candice openly confronting the former’s racist comments, after she lost HoH and was sent to bunk with her African-American castmate. Hearing Candice complain about the set-up, Aaryn tossed her roomie’s bed, teeing up a tense encounter ‘tween the ladies.

“Whatcha gon’ do, girl?” Aaryn asked, antagonizing Candice. (“When is the black gonna come out?” could also be heard during the fracas –perhaps coming from GinaMarie?)

As Howard and others (including Helen) consoled distraught Candice, Amanda confronted Aaryn and her cohorts about their repulsive ‘tudes — and how their racist remarks could affect them outside the house (which seemed a bit on-the-nose for a random observation, hmm. Already Aaryn and GinaMarie unwittingly have lost jobs, while Spencer’s been censured by his employer).

Aaryn later apologized to Candice and fretted that her “jokes” were being misconstrued as racist. In the Diary Room, Aaryn claimed she was sincere in her apology — while Candice in her own DR piece made clear she didn’t buy that mea culpa for an instant, and will continue treating Aaryn accordingly.

What was your reaction to reading CBS’ viewer advisory, right there in black-and-white? And how about Aaryn’s “I was joking” defense?

http://tvline.com/2013/07/14/big-brother-racism-controversy-cbs-disclaimer/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Offline Kate04

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2013, 09:19:44 AM »
Aaryn should be pulled from the show.  Her racial hatred is shocking and BB production should make a stand against it.  I cringe when I watch her and there's no fun in the competition anymore.  :meow:

However if she ends up evicted, it will take all the cool and calm that Julie Chen has to interview her!

On the plus side, she makes Dan and Shelley look tame, and I thought they played a real dirty game.

Helen has a good head on her shoulders and I hope it takes her far in this game.  So far I like the clean game she is playing.  :yess:

Offline Leilani

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2013, 10:06:47 AM »
I don't think she should be pulled because that will reinforce in her mind her "victim" status.  She really doesn't seem to comprehend just how wrong her words and actions are so pulling her from the game is just going to "prove" to her that CBS set her up to look bad.  She may never get it, but I think leaving her in there to feel the criticism of her housemates until she is evicted and comes out to face the music is the best chance of ever getting her to realize that she may need to change her ways.  Her comments are inexcusable, but it sadly is a realistic portrayal of the way some people feel and (even though I like watching the show) Big Brother really is a microcosm of this country and a lot of the things that are going wrong in it.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »
On the plus side, she makes Dan and Shelley look tame, and I thought they played a real dirty game.
How could you compare Dan and that thing (Aaryn). Dan play like that for strategy (sure he told some big lies and made promises and then stabbed them in the back but it was all for gameplay) while that thing on the other hand has racial issues

Offline Kate04

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2013, 04:56:38 AM »
I don't think she should be pulled because that will reinforce in her mind her "victim" status.  She really doesn't seem to comprehend just how wrong her words and actions are so pulling her from the game is just going to "prove" to her that CBS set her up to look bad.  She may never get it, but I think leaving her in there to feel the criticism of her housemates until she is evicted and comes out to face the music is the best chance of ever getting her to realize that she may need to change her ways.  Her comments are inexcusable, but it sadly is a realistic portrayal of the way some people feel and (even though I like watching the show) Big Brother really is a microcosm of this country and a lot of the things that are going wrong in it.

If she is simply evicted, she will just feel she is one of the many who eventually get evicted on BB.  She has even commented that evicting her would be the smart thing for them to do (don't have her exact words, but that was the idea.)

However, if they pull her she will become an example of how that kind of racism is not going to be tolerated.  She will become the pariah that she deserves to be.

Offline Leilani

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2013, 07:48:45 AM »
I don't have the feeds so I'm only going by what I have read on the live feed updates, but it appears that her allies are starting to try and distance themselves from her.  It's possible I'm missing something as I sometimes have a hard time following the updates.  (Not a knock at the folks doing the updates I know it's a hard job.)  If Jeremy goes and Kaitlyn turns her back on Aaryn; then, all she really has left is possibly GinaMarie.  Maybe it's wishful thinking, but if the whole house shuns her before she goes out she might just start to see the light.  The only thing lonelier than being alone is being alone in a house full of people.

The arguments for getting her out through eviction or dismissal are all valid.  It's just a question of which one might have the biggest impact on her.

On a side note, the more I read about GinaMarie the more I think they need to have the men in the white coats waiting for her on her exit.  If I recall correctly, there was talk at one point about how her pageants were everything to her and in the house Nick was everything to her.  Once she finds out that she has lost her job and realizes that he had no interest in her she's going to completely lose it.  While the devilish, sarcastic side of me thinks it would be funny to have Julie tell her that Nick has a special message for her, hand her an envelope and say "GinaMarie you've been served" (would make a good parody - see Will Heuser's youtube channel), the good, kindhearted side of me thinks she is unstable enough to harm herself when everything comes crashing down.

• Big Brother Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2013, 02:52:22 AM »
CBS's CEO Les Moonves spoke to the Television Critics Association, and made some comments on the Big Brother Racial issues this season...

TCA: CBS CEO Leslie Moonves Appalled by ‘Big Brother’ Racial Slurs But Defends Show Casting

Deadline.com By LISA DE MORAES, TV Columnist

“I find some of the behavior absolutely appalling,” CBS CEO Leslie Moonves said this morning of this season’s competition series Big Brother, which has been in the news over the racial slurs some of the competitors have been spewing at housemates. The season is reflective “of how many people feel in the country,” he suggested, noting, “I’ve watched every episode — obviously, my wife would kill me if I didn’t — we discuss it quite a bit (Moonves’ wife, Julie Chen hosts).” He insists the network has handled the season “appropriately.” Asked what he and Chen say about this season on the show, Moonves shot back, “I’m not going to tell you what goes on in my home.”

Moonves, who was filling in for CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler at the network’s TCA press tour executive session today, acknowledged he is still hands-on with the network’s reality competition series casting, and utterly dismissed a critics’ suggestion the Big Brother edition is evidence that “casting tries too hard.” “You don’t want wallflowers on reality show,” he said. “They are social experiments — trying too hard? I don’t think there’s any such thing.”

At the top of his Press Tour appearance, Moonves announced CBS had picked up another season of Stephen King’s summer miniseries Under The Dome and that King would write the first episode. When one critic noted people can’t survive under a dome indefinitely, Moonves wondered why not. “This is television! It’s a soap…In a lot of ways it’s Dallas in the future,” he said. The Amazon deal makes that show possible, Moonves said. “The whole model of putting on a big summer show has changed. We had to figure out financially how to put on a show of that size and scale. It came down to, the network license fee had to be small. There was a huge international sale and the participation of Amazon. We had to make a deal like never before.” The international market has become increasingly important, particularly for drama financing, Moonves explained, claiming it has, at CBS, jumped from “about $400 million” to “$1.2 billion” in six years.

Another critic took issue with the heavy product placement in the pilot episode of David E. Kelley’s new Robin Williams comedy The Crazy Ones, which is set at an ad agency. The opening episode is all about making a McDonalds ad. Moonves said that storyline was brought to the network and that “McDonalds didn’t receive any money “ for it. He said the series will also include “fictional product.”

CBS has no plans to replace David Letterman in late-night, though he’s now getting beat in demos by ABC’s new time-slot competitor Jimmy Kimmel. “We love having David Letterman — he’s the dean, the best there is,” Moonves said, adding, “We like the stability – despite what people think, we don’t like drama at 11:30.” One critic noted that even good shows with low ratings get cancelled on CBS in primetime, “I don’t consider David Letterman [show] a failure in any way, shape or form,” Moonves responded, insisting the show continues to make money for CBS.

Asked in the scrum after his Q&A about finishing first in the demo, Moonves acknowledged “it helped that American Idol crashed. We always thought it wasn’t a fair fight with Fox. We had 22 hours, they had 15. It’s a big difference. When three of those hours were a monster like American Idol, we never were gonna win…Still think 18-49 is vastly overrated and exaggerated. Fox News’s average viewer is 65-plus and making a ton of money. So 18-49 wasn’t the be-all and end-all.”

As he walked down the ramp off stage, someone asked Moonves how he felt about this being the final season for CBS’s Monday comedy How I Met Your Mother. “I’m heartbroken” he tossed over his shoulder.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/tca-cbs-ceo-leslie-moonves-appalled-big-brother-163758681.html

Offline onthecusp

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2013, 06:12:51 PM »
I've never cared for (my usual expletives deleted) Les Moonves and still can't believe Julie Chen married the man.

With that said.....

The racial and homophobic slurs attached to this seasons' BB are unforgiveable and I'm not buying for a minute that my neighbors next door are using them. What a callous and irresponsible thing for a CBS rep to say.

Have they lost their minds?

I remember in the late 60's/early 70's when CBS finally got clearance from the FCC to air Preparation H commercials.

I do have to admit to waiting with bated breath for the reactionary fallout once Spencer, Aaryn, Ginamarie et al, leave the house and face the music. I'm surprised that the studio audience even applauded for Jeremy despite being prompted to do so.

As for me....I'd rather see Aaryn evicted (and soon) to walk out and face Julie amid silence. Aaryn is cluelessly in narcissistic denial and Ginamarie is delusional. I have no excuses for Spencer.

Offline bee1233

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
Why haven't we heard outrage regarding Amanda?  She has said horrible racial comments but I haven't seen any backlash from it in the media.  I'm ready for her to go home.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2013, 12:57:10 PM »
Why haven't we heard outrage regarding Amanda?  She has said horrible racial comments but I haven't seen any backlash from it in the media.  I'm ready for her to go home.

Good question. Lately she's been "talking" as if she is Chinese or perhaps a Vietnamese person who works in a nail salon. It's racist speech just as bad as what Aaryn said.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2013, 02:51:34 PM »

Good question. Lately she's been "talking" as if she is Chinese or perhaps a Vietnamese person who works in a nail salon. It's racist speech just as bad as what Aaryn said.
A Zap2it blog post, "'Big Brother 15': Amanda and GinaMarie let their Asian stereotypes fly; Howard goes to work", had an update that stated Amanda was IMITATING A CHARACTER from Mad TV.

However, I still dislike her and McCrae for not even allowing Aaryn or Judd to be in their HoH room alone for even five minutes. :res:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline onthecusp

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »
Oh, I agree about Amanda bee, she has become nastier by the day all the way around and the comment about the taste of certain body parts, ie; Howards' (cocoa and watermelon) was just too unreal.

Who says this stuff?

Amanda.

She rarely rolls out of bed and is probably the most passive/aggressive player. And that angry piercing glare she bears down on you with while trying to "help you" is truly scary.

Apparently America agrees.

Offline bee1233

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »
I hope that as long as America votes for MVP they keep voting for Amanda.  I think Spencer should be thrown out based on his sexual comments.  I really would be scared of him in Jury especially if I was Jessie.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »
Huffpost TV      
August 5, 2013

'Big Brother's' Amanda Zuckerman Makes Racist Comments About Asian And African American House Guests (VIDEO)
Posted: 08/01/2013 6:36 pm EDT  |  Updated: 08/03/2013 4:55 pm EDT

Just when you thought the racism on "Big Brother" couldn't get any worse, house guest Amanda Zuckerman was caught making racist remarks about her African American and Asian American competitors on camera.

"She wore my f---in' head band and didn't ask," Zuckerman said about African American housemate Candice Stewart (above). "She took it off your f---in' head and put it on her greasy-ass, nappy-hair head."

In another instance, Zuckerman referred to African American contestant Howard Overby as "the black mamba" and "the dark knight." She also referred to herself as a "f** hag" and used the term "retarded" on multiple occasions.

Interestingly enough, Zuckerman confronted Aaryn Gries about being racist on camera, which can also be seen in the video above.

This is hardly the first time offensive remarks have been caught on camera throughout the current fifteenth season of "Big Brother." In addition to Gries, GinaMarie Zimmerman has also made racist remarks to or about other contestants on camera.

CBS responded to viewers' anger with the following statement: “'Big Brother' is a reality show about watching a group of people who have no privacy 24/7 -- and seeing every moment of their lives. At times, the Houseguests reveal prejudices and other beliefs that we do not condone. We certainly find the statements made by several of the Houseguests on the live Internet feed to be offensive. Any views or opinions expressed in personal commentary by a Houseguest appearing on 'Big Brother,' either on any live feed from the House or during the broadcast, are those of the individual(s) speaking and do not represent the views or opinions of CBS or the producers of the program.”

"Big Brother" host Julie Chen wasn't nearly as neutral about the events, however. After showing a particularly upsetting clip of a fight between contestants Candice, Aaryn and GinaMarie on "The Talk," Chen was furious.

"Am I the only one who feels so enraged? This is the third time I've watched that clip, and it does not get any easier," she said. "I think it shows us all that in 2013, race is still a deeply, deeply personal issue and it is so extremely hurtful. And unless you have ever been on the receiving issue end of it, you simply do not know what it's like to walk a mile in someone's shoes."

(h/t The Wrap)

"Big Brother" airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. ET, Thursdays at 9 p.m. ET and Sundays at 8 p.m. ET on CBS.

Source

Offline onthecusp

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2013, 08:40:58 PM »
A little Amanda is a lot of Amanda. She has manipulated, bullied and monopolized long enough. It is simply time for her to gather her anger issues and her meds (that aren't working) and go.

Her true nature is glaringly apparent and thank goodness McCrea is beginning to see this. I understand why he was smitten by her attentions at first, but......

Talk about the kiss of death. The two are polar opposites!

Come on HGs...WAKE UP

I think they are afraid of her. Hell, I'm afraid of her.

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2013, 04:41:19 PM »
'BIG BROTHER' CONTESTANT Probed By Cops Over CHILD PORN JOKES

"Big Brother" contestant Spencer Clawson just learned a valuable lesson about child porn ... don't even joke about that crap ... because cops will go after you.

In case you didn't see the clips from this week -- Clawson goes off on this really uncomfortable riff about child porn, saying, "I like to beat off to child porn. Did I ever tell y'all about that? I love it. Beating off to child porn is my favorite thing there is."

You'd think he'd stop there, but no ... he kept going, saying, "I love it when they're around three or four years old. My favorite ones are when you can tell they're in a basement."

And the jokes didn't go unnoticed ... especially by Spencer's hometown police in Arkansas.

Chief AJ Gary from the Conway Police Department in Arkansas tells TMZ, "The Conway Police Department was alerted to comments made.  Due to the nature of the comments, our department moved quickly to look into the matter.  At this time we haven't found that any criminal act was committed."

Good news, but still ... don't make child porn jokes. They're not even funny.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/08/07/big-brother-contestant-spencer-cops-child-porn-joke-police-investigation/#ixzz2bK1RSmX5

http://www.tmz.com/2013/08/07/big-brother-contestant-spencer-cops-child-porn-joke-police-investigation/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:42:31 PM by HurricaneHowieWood »
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2013, 05:27:40 PM »
I'm really glad that neither Amanda or Spencer's remarks are being ignored especially Spencer's comments about three and four year old children. 

• Big Brother Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2013, 11:42:01 PM »
More insensitive remarks on CBS 'Big Brother' show
Aug. 7, 2013, 6:21 PM EST

By DAVID BAUDER

NEW YORK (AP) -- A run of ethnically insensitive remarks has continued during filming for the CBS reality TV show "Big Brother," raising questions about whether the network should be doing more to police it.

One of the cast members on the program, which throws a group of people who don't know each other in a house together and films them to see how they get along, made remarks during the past week that could be seen as insulting to various ethnic groups.

On the 24-hour Internet feed of the house, Amanda Zuckerman, who's white, complained about a black cast member putting a headband on her greasy, "nappy-hair head." She referred to another black housemate as "the dark knight" and "the black mamba," mocked the accent of a Korean woman and referred to "Puerto Rican showers," leading to a debate about whether she's racist.

"I'm just joking," said Zuckerman, a 28-year-old real estate agent from Boynton Beach, Fla. "I've had sex with Puerto Rican guys before."

Earlier this summer, two other cast members were heard making anti-black comments.

CBS airs "Big Brother" on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday during the summer, but Zuckerman's remarks haven't appeared on television.

CBS Corp. chief executive Leslie Moonves, whose wife, Julie Chen, hosts "Big Brother," said last week he finds some of the behavior on the show "absolutely appalling."

Public relations executive Joni Hudson-Reynolds, who writes a blog called ebonymompolitics, said young people watch the show and she believes CBS should be doing more to prevent the dissemination of offensive language.

"To just say 'This is reality television, and these are the kinds of things that are said in regular conversations' is not enough," Hudson-Reynolds said. "This is a controlled environment."

Hudson-Reynolds said she watches "Big Brother" with her teenage daughter, considering it a guilty pleasure. She doesn't go online to watch the day-to-day interactions. For people who don't follow it that closely, controversial comments are given greater circulation through compilations that are posted online.

CBS declined to comment further on the insensitive language. It's unclear whether there's a built-in delay on the Internet feed of what is going on in the household that would enable producers to cut off offensive talk.

Moonves, speaking to reporters last week, said he believed CBS was handling the situation appropriately.

"We did not comment on some of the racial things being said until it really affected what was going on in the household," he said.

Author Jennifer Pozner, who wrote "Reality Bites Back: The Troubling Truth About Guilty Pleasure TV," said she has a hard time believing show producers didn't get exactly what they wanted. A show like "Big Brother" is cast with people to increase the likelihood of table-flipping fights, drunken hook-ups and offensive language, she said.

"You know what  it's appalling, and you created it for that exact reason," Pozner said. "Why should we believe that you as a network did not get exactly what you wanted?"

"Big Brother," now in its 15th season, is averaging 7.1 million viewers per episode this season, up 9 percent over last year, the Nielsen ratings company said.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=822016

Offline Debbi

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »
OMG I can't WAIT to read all the stuff in this thread. I have been sickened by GM, Aaryn, and Amanda's disgusting treatment of the minorities and the comments that have been made. What GM said to Candice on her way out the door made me see red. Thanks for all this amazing information.

Offline onthecusp

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2013, 04:05:44 AM »
Oh, I know it!!

Ginamarie; "At least my Mother liked me!"

...Say, WHAT!???!!!

OMG.... and I notice that the 'family letters' to GM and Aaryn aren't from their parents but....'friends'.

OUCH!

I can't WAIT to see the reactions of the HGs once they have left the house and realize what they have done to themselves.

Offline Debbi

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »
Neither can I onthecusp. I'm actually salivating about these monsters getting what's coming to them than finding out who wins the season. There is no one left to root for except Elissa, and even though she's something of a snob, she has really good values. I don't think she'll win though. It will be someone disgusting. Probably one of the racists/bigots and then this season can go in the books as the most vile and disgusting season ever.

Offline onthecusp

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
You and me both Debbi.

I can't wait until the HGs have seen what we have seen all season and realize how stupid they have been with their 'gameplay'.

I think Elyssa is by far the best candidate for the win.

Offline Debbi

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2013, 02:00:58 AM »
I have a subscription to Dick at Nite and Kaitlin was one of Dick's guests on the show after the double eviction. It was kinda cool seeing her discuss the remaining house guests. She said there's no one left in that house that she likes except McCrae.