Author Topic: The Weather on TAR  (Read 5901 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
The Weather on TAR
« on: May 26, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »
Does anyone else like it when there's weather while teams are racing? I love it when there's any kind of precipitation or even strong, visible winds to affect the teams.

It was so neat when it started POURING in Cai Be, Vietnam in TAR3

I really loved the sudden rainstorm that hit Burkina Faso in TAR12.

It was neat seeing it rain so much that Ho Chi Minh was flooded in TAR15

Are there any other extreme cases of weather you guys can think of?
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Re: The Weather on TAR
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 10:36:59 PM »
Wasn't a hurricane going to hit Miami after the TAR18 finale, whipping up strong winds.

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 10:40:09 PM »
Thunderstorm in Alabama and Mississippi was cool in E4 of the family edition.
"Perception is not reality. Reality is reality!" - Erik Cardona

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:08:37 PM »
I like it!
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 11:14:24 PM »
I remember it rained on Season 16, Leg 2. It was epic when they jumped with that condor costume and you could see lightning at the same time.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 11:35:08 PM »
I like it when parts of the race's production keep on trudging because "The Show must Go On".

Like when Phil and that Burkinabé woman had to huddle together beneath a little umbrella when Azaria & Hendekea checked in, and Phil had to do his sales pitch about the prize they'd won in the middle of the relentless rain.

Or when the Double U-Turn in Amsterdam, TAR21 got its own, personal umbrella XD
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 11:52:10 PM »
The rain in the Amsterdam leg of TAR21 was definitely a huge part of what made that episode so sad. Abbie & Ryan had had flight problems (again), they got U-Turned by their friends, and realized that there was no hope of them coming back. The rain really put an exclamation point on how Abbie & Ryan must have been feeling. :(
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 12:04:59 AM »
It was a perfect example of great unintentional editing. I mean, the episode was an editing masterpiece.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 12:24:34 AM »
It was a perfect example of great unintentional editing. I mean, the episode was an editing masterpiece.

As much as I hate TAR 21, I loved that episode, and my cousins were crying with Abbie at the same time. I have to admit, saddest elimination ever Post UB.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 12:49:02 AM »
The rain in the Amsterdam leg of TAR21 was definitely a huge part of what made that episode so sad. Abbie & Ryan had had flight problems (again), they got U-Turned by their friends, and realized that there was no hope of them coming back. The rain really put an exclamation point on how Abbie & Ryan must have been feeling. :(

Yea, everything was dark and gloomy and it adds on to the sad feeling. Imagine if it was bright and sunny, the whole sad story wouldn't be able to be lifted.

+ there was a contrast... when Nadiya and Natalie and Jaymes and James and Trey and Lexi did their tasks, it was bright and sunny and turning to rainy weather.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 01:31:45 AM »
TAR 8 was filmed during the most active hurricane season in the Atlantic basin on record. and the show had to make a number of adjustments as a result. In addition to the loss of a leg in Belize which had a landfalling hurricane on the way when the teams were supposed to be there, and a second hurricane that affected the legs in Huntsville, there were two other legs that were affected as teams drove down the east coast of the U.S. from New York City to South Carolina. Then the teams rode on busses through yet another tropical cyclone on the way from South Carolina (through Atlanta, though the show never acknowledged it to Huntsville.
After they had filmed in New Orleans, Hurricane Katrina hit that area hard.

All that in just one race.

There was another season when the teams went to Siberia, and had to travel through a blizzard....on a train. Bertram mentioned that one during the pre-Race publicity although the editors spent almost no time showing it.

I'm sure there are others, but those are ones that pop up in seeing the topic.

I'll also mention that in TAR 6 we were able to use Weather Underground for information on the rain teams dealt with in Hungary during the first ever uber-leg; and for TAR 8, I was able to narrow down the date for the balloon task in the southwestern U.S. because of the specific weather conditions required for balloon flight, and the fact that of a three day range we had for the timing of the task, only one had the right conditions for a morning flight using the nearly fixed base operator weather reports from Weather Underground.

In other words, we can use weather not only to see what happens on the race, but to help date when things happened during filming.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:19:47 AM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 03:02:04 AM »
It definitely makes for a nice change seeing adverse weather conditions and it adds another element to deal with, although you have to feel sorry for the teams! :lol:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 06:26:09 PM »
The TAR 15 leg in The Netherlands sticks with me, even though it may not have been extreme weather. With the cold and wind and rain, the teams, especially Maria and Tiffany, looked miserable.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »
The snow in switchback in Switzerland was spectacular!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 08:04:40 PM »
TAR 8 >hurricane in Belize>>cancelled a leg

TAR19>  Monsoon in Laos>mudslides>>cancelled a leg
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline cosmophobia

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 01:38:34 AM »
I remember it rained on Season 16, Leg 2. It was epic when they jumped with that condor costume and you could see lightning at the same time.

That task is hardly epic. What bothered me the most was that the scenary was supposed to be spectacular but with that weather not even the teams were able to see anything.

Yea, everything was dark and gloomy and it adds on to the sad feeling. Imagine if it was bright and sunny, the whole sad story wouldn't be able to be lifted.

+ there was a contrast... when Nadiya and Natalie and Jaymes and James and Trey and Lexi did their tasks, it was bright and sunny and turning to rainy weather.

Apart from just giving a gloomy-ending feeling, the rain really ruined the detour for them. They were supposed to beg for money and the streets were absolutely empty. For me, seeing Abbie all by herself ALONE in the street was the most depressing part

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 08:37:42 AM »
D'Aww I thought I was the only one who felt the same about the scenarios above^

It was really sad when Abbie was hugging the sweet lady in the rain.

It was a really good touch when they showed Abbie & Ryan coming from afar into the Pit Stop with the gloominess surrounding them. Really made it more sad.

Anyway... I LOVED the snow in Switzerland of TAR 22 even though I kinda hated that leg. I still remember when it was storming when the Paolos were doing that little party bike challenge around the stadium :lol:

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 11:50:50 PM »
The fog after the Auschwitz visit was suited to the mood.

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 02:22:40 PM »
The thunder and lightning when the Paolos were leaving Talledega.
"Perception is not reality. Reality is reality!" - Erik Cardona