Author Topic: AMERICA's GOT TALENT 8  (Read 3140 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
AMERICA's GOT TALENT 8
« on: May 19, 2013, 03:31:58 PM »
SEASON 8 OF AGT PREMIERES TUESDAY JUNE 4.
HOWARD STERN AND HOWIE MANDEL ARE BACK AS JUDGES. HEIDI KLUM AND MELANIE BROWN ARE NEW.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: AMERICA's GOT TALENT 8
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 09:59:06 PM »
This season starts Tuesday night at 8pm.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 05:20:38 AM »
AMERICA’s GOT TALENT 8

Maybe the producers of AGT8 wanted to get the new season started by showcasing exceptional talent, but I was totally impressed by the first episode of the new season. Acts from all over the country were presented rather than focusing geographically as I the past preliminary rounds.

The new judging panel includes holdovers Howard Stern and Howie Mandel and newcomers Mel B and Heidi Klum. The female judges are certainly a sight for sore eyes, plus they never said anything stupid. As Heidi has been quoted “We’re the brains; they’re (Howard and Howie) the beauty.” I expect they will be a major breath of fresh air form Sharon Osbourne. The new format calls for 3 yes vote out of 4 to advance to the next round of the competition, which will be held in Las Vega at some future date.

AGT8, ep. 1

There were many losing acts presented. The most notable of these were:
Chuck from  the Bronx – who performed 3 eating challenges: perhaps 6 whole hard-boiled eggs in their original shells, squirting salt and rubbing lime juice in his eyes, sitting in a tub of ice, eat one of “the world’s hottest pepper (which would be the Trinidad Scorpion Mouroga blend at 2 million scoville units, having displaced the Ghost Pepper Bhut Jolokia at 1 million scoville units).”  Both of those are red, so that fits. Chuck looks as if he is about to die from the scoville units, so Howie came to the rescue by volunteering to eat a small part of one too if Howard would also. Howard agreed, then reneged on the deal. To add insult to injury, all judges except Howard voted no. Barbie and Mina came to dance but their style of dancing was too much for the judges, who voted all 4 no.

All acts discussed below will have 4 yes votes and going to the Las Vegas round :
David  “The Cobra Kid” Weathers, a venomous snake handler who had a cobra puncture a balloon that had been blown up outside of his mouth
Marty Brown, a singer/songwriter who chose a classic Bob Dylan piece and was rewarded by Heidi asking his wife to join him onstage since she was his inspiration
Catapult, modern dance troupe performs an elaborate ballet/shadow puppet routine, telling the story of a diamond heist entirely in silhouette
Hype, 3 young dancers who did an original riff on “Singin’ in the Rain”
Anna Christine, a 10 year old female with a very mature voice and singer/ keyboard skills singing “House of the Rising Sun”
3 Penny Orchestra and Chorus, a very impressive group with lots of strings, tympani and chorus performing Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe."
Special Head, a mystic able to instantly levitate (how did he do that?)
Amelie ?
Tristan Jih, demonstrating the use of hanging aerial silk cords for acrobatics

Dave Shirley, comedian who took lifesize dolls behind a screen, where they suddenly looked like Heidi Klum or Mel B
Tone, the chiefrocca, performing an original rap music composition “B double o t y”; Howie challenged him to repeat that every round, which would mean certain elimination
Angela Hoover, a comedian doing celebrity impressions resuming her comedy career after years off
?, cloggers
Kid the Whiz, musician/dancer who uses his hat as the only prop
California Boys Choir, sang California Dreaming

So I really liked Marty Brown, Catapult, Anna Christine, Hype and 3 Penny Orchestra and Chorus as the best I have seen so far. I found the density of talent a bit higher for AGT8 than for the preliminary rounds of prior seasons.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 09:44:09 AM »
I have very sad news. apskip, Arthur E Perkins Jr. died June 10, 2013 in Morristown, N.J., from natural causes. He was a wonderful friend and a integral part of the RFF family. He will truly be missed. We wont have any more of his wonderful recaps or posts with his insights.

My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

You can read more here: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,28916.new.html#new
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.