Author Topic: Great Examples Of The Amazing Race Strategy  (Read 19868 times)

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Great Examples Of The Amazing Race Strategy
« on: May 17, 2013, 11:52:09 PM »
I was thinking about this recently, so I decided to make a thread! My three Great Examples are:

NaNa at the Netherlands U-Turn (hate it or like it it was a great move)

Oswald & Danny/Uchenna & Joyce/Eric & Danielle/Guidos attempt to all give each other their credit card details etc to book flights with (even though it was half-bungled)

And Charla & Mirna getting in 50 minutes earlier than the rest of the pack on the Russia > Egypt leg of TAR5, which was stellar.

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: Great Examples Of The Amazing Race Strategy
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 01:34:33 AM »
One of my favs was dustin and kandice buying the yield off oswald and danny in all stars

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 02:41:21 PM »
TAR 21 where one team u-turned Abbie & Ryan, and the second team to arrive u-turned the previous u-turners since they had already left, not letting Abbie & Ryan u-turn whoever was behind them.
"Perception is not reality. Reality is reality!" - Erik Cardona

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »
Rachel & Dave ditching Art & J.J was a good move.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »
Rachel & Dave ditching Art & J.J was a good move.

Basically, doing that prevented "U-Turn" karma on the Final 3. It really was a good move by Davechel.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »
I think one example of good strategy is just not drawing too much attention to your team too early in the Race. Also, don't lie to other teams about who you are. Both were strategic errors committed by Maria & Tiffany. When a team does this well, it usually ends up with that team being more liked by the others, or potentially avoiding being U-turned.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 08:25:06 PM »
I think one example of good strategy is just not drawing too much attention to your team too early in the Race. Also, don't lie to other teams about who you are. Both were strategic errors committed by Maria & Tiffany. When a team does this well, it usually ends up with that team being more liked by the others, or potentially avoiding being U-turned.

Nary and Jamie too. :(

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 07:22:23 AM »

And Charla & Mirna getting in 50 minutes earlier than the rest of the pack on the Russia > Egypt leg of TAR5, which was stellar.

This pales to Colin/Christie getting in 12 HOURS earlier than everyone else in the same leg.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 07:40:30 AM »

This pales to Colin/Christie getting in 12 HOURS earlier than everyone else in the same leg.

I knew this would be brought up :lol: But my point is that Colin & Christie had an easier opportunity to get on that flight because of their lead, whereas Charla & Mirna found the flight and was extremely careful about not letting anyone else know about their lead, and timed their leaving perfectly.

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 07:50:29 AM »
Two that I really liked were Collin & Christie prearranging the best driver ever in the final leg. Also Rob & Amber doing little things like paying the bus driver to only open one set of doors first

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 09:40:39 PM »
One I really liked was in the very first season, when Rob & Brennan bought that woman's cell phone in Alaska for $300. If you do something that forces production to create a rule in future seasons that prohibits other teams from doing it, it was probably a good strategy. :lol:
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 10:30:23 PM »
One I really liked was in the very first season, when Rob & Brennan bought that woman's cell phone in Alaska for $300. If you do something that forces production to create a rule in future seasons that prohibits other teams from doing it, it was probably a good strategy. :lol:
true. haha i remember watching the finale commentary and they said they mailed it back.. hahah

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 06:40:35 AM »

Sure it was a great move... it kept Josh & Brent in the race who when on to win it all in the end.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 06:47:50 AM »

Sure it was a great move... it kept Josh & Brent in the race who when on to win it all in the end.

Abby & Ryan IMO would've won if not, they were definitely smart enough to conquer the memory challenge.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 07:00:06 AM »

After the huge number of tries all teams gave on that final challenge, it mostly was luck in the end (they knew the easy ones, but got confused with Bangladesh, Indonesia and such). Lucky Beekers.

Offline themikko95

• RFF Full Member
  • Kym/Alli for the win!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 07:04:18 AM »
I admire Pam/Winnie with regards to flights. They always check all the airlines or something and don't always rely on counters or travel agencies which is why they always manage to get on the best flights......and screw their lead by getting lost.  :lol3:
Dustin/Kandice, Jaime/Cara and Pam/Winnie = goddesses!

Offline ryanmissing27

• RFF Jr. Member
Amazing Race Strategists
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 07:03:45 AM »
Strategy is one of the many facets that can help a team win the amazing race (along with brute strength, intellect, personability and luck)

The purpose of this thread is to discuss/analyse/honour the greatest strategists to have run the race.

Personally I would classify a strategists as someone who is successfully able to employ a strategy on more than one occasion, although I am certain that there are great one off strategical moments from ordinary teams and I'm equally certain that they'll slip into conversation and belong there.

I'll list a few examples of what I mean but you'll probably notice that they are mainly from season 12 onwards (the seasons I have committedly watched) and the teams are typically 6th place or higher.

Terence and Sarah
Especially Sarah, she first amazed me when she was yelling at a Cambodian boatman to go faster in Khmer (I couldn't for the life of me figure out how she would know such a relatively obscure language). Reading interviews back in the day by this team I found out that she was quizzing people on the flights they were taking to pick up useful phrases and information. This would be a linguistic strategy, do you think it gave them an edge on the competition?

Dan and Jordan
I would argue that they won the race on strategy and luck. Their aim becomes clear from a moment in France in TAR16, I think it's they cowboys who speed past them at a task or on the way to the pit stop and one of the brothers quips "we'll pass them when it matters" or something to that effect. Dan and Jordan laid low for most of their race; they flew underneath the radar and were personable with most of the other teams (except I think the cowboys) in a season where u-turns were handed out based on personality. their other moment of strategical genius is infamous probably through the grudge it began, I don't even think I have to mention it *cough*first-class*cough* I think it's another perfect example of how they used their personality to get ahead and how they reserved their racing for when it mattered and it indeed worked for them.

Nary and Jamie
Although I liked this team their performances were somewhat mediocre. Their strategy was to lie about their professions to be underestimated by the other teams. The most glaring example of this was by Maria and Tiffany in season 15 however I mention Nary and Jamie because of what they did after being suspected by Art and JJ: they maintained the lie. It made so much sense to me, why give them the satisfaction? Reserve perfect honesty for the perfectly honorable (which Art and JJ were not). Although I don't think it really helped them I thought it was a smart move, why boost the morale of an antagonistic opponent?

Ryan and Abbie/Brent and Josh
I don't know which one of these teams decided it would be best to work together after being delayed so many hours but I think it's genius. Where teams would usually duke it out and try to survive themselves these two teams admitted that there was no chance of both of them making it and only little chance of one of them making it: the result, they capitalise on this minimal chance by working together. in the end it worked, one of the trailing teams caught up with the pack and the rest is history, they were back in the race and they went on to win. if the two teams hadnt worked together, this might not have been possible

Natalie and Nadiya
they cracked the double u turn in a move so clever im surprised it hasnt been seen since, this leads me to think it's actually been outlawed by the rules...

I hope this makes sense (I'm pretty tired)
I'm sure I'm forgetting some so help me out!  :)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: Amazing Race Strategists
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 07:18:58 AM »
I think the first ever strategy wise goes to Rob for convincing other teams to quit the Roadblock with him. Not only does he not have to eat the 2kg worth of meat, but also have teams who will help him avoid elimination. That was a move I hated, but you gotta not love him for that.

Another one I can remember is Dustin and Kandace paying Cha Chas to Yield Eric and Daniel because they lack/have little money. Again, not a move I love to watch, but you gotta applaud they can even think of something like that.

Margie and Luke's U-TURN on Amanda and Kris was completely strategic as well. It was one of the highlight of the season and to be honest, I wouldn't have U-TURNed anybody else too. They were the most competitive team then in terms of placement.. haven't won a leg, but young, fit, really charming.. I would have felt threatened by their presence in the race too.

Dan and Jordan doesn't really strike me as strategist.. but they did it at the most important point of the leg - The finale. That's good enough lol.

Ernie and Cindy and Nicole and Travis both U-TURNed a team in second place who were vying with them for first place, that could be considered as purely strategic as well.

Mirna is a great strategist when it comes to flights. I've never meet anyone half as good as her yet. Come back to look at Season 5... half the epic flight moments were thanks to her crazy intervention at airport counters. Gotta applaud her for that honestly.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 07:37:26 AM »
I once read Trexi's interview, and Lexi said that they would ask people who can speak in the language of the country they're going to how to say the basic stuff like getting a taxi, telling their cab driver to go faster, etc... ;)

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 07:47:09 AM »
I posted a thread like this somewhere I think.

Offline WinTar

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 08:16:18 AM »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 10:40:11 AM »
Time to merge it then and keep the discussion on-going! :)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 10:43:53 AM »
Done!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 09:41:01 PM »
I have been thinking about race strategy lately as well.

Even though it isn't a game changing strategy, I like the idea of hiding all maps of the destination country in the airport gift shops.

Is there a race strategy that you would like to see used that you have not seen before?

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 04:19:44 AM »
I have been thinking about race strategy lately as well.

Even though it isn't a game changing strategy, I like the idea of hiding all maps of the destination country in the airport gift shops.

Is there a race strategy that you would like to see used that you have not seen before?

Sure hide it pal, any team can just go on a computer and download it off Google... :funny: