Author Topic: What kind of memory challenge that you want to see?  (Read 17941 times)

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
What kind of memory challenge that you want to see?
« on: May 17, 2013, 01:17:50 PM »
Hey guys, after some good and bad memory challenges in TAR, what kind of memory challenge that you personally want to see in the final leg? :)

Personally, I like if they have to sort the coat of arms of each countries they visited. Because, I think nobody would thought about this, and they maybe haven't seen it and no way they'll take a note about it. ;)
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: What kind of memory challenge that you want to see?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 01:24:03 PM »
Cool thread! I agree that teams are becoming too smart for run-of-the-mill memory tasks, so they should do something different. If they had not put the outlines of the countries on the clues in TAR 19, I think that finale could have been more interesting.

How about the languages of each country visited?
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 02:00:29 PM »
Cool thread! I agree that teams are becoming too smart for run-of-the-mill memory tasks, so they should do something different. If they had not put the outlines of the countries on the clues in TAR 19, I think that finale could have been more interesting.

If they're making it, almost all countries visited should have different mother language. Also, to make it more interesting, how about they have to hear a recording of the language spoken? Wouldn't be harder and trickier than just to see the writing? :lol:

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »
true that espically portugese and spanish

Also this could be an awesome switchback but put it as a finale memory task
S10 Leg 9 Make Music Detour: Imagine the Final 3 Rapping about eveywhere theyve been. Tests Their memory, creativity, and possibly physically (making a dance to go with it) Maybe combine it with some props that appeared on the race and a few decoys

(just posted this on switch back thread to lol)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:16:04 PM »

If they're making it, almost all countries visited should have different mother language. Also, to make it more interesting, how about they have to hear a recording of the language spoken? Wouldn't be harder and trickier than just to see the writing? :lol:

Definitely :lol: <3

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »
It has to be somthing to test them mentality and physicality (TAR22 & TAR19 would have worked great if the teams were closssr together and there wasn't 1 clear winner) and somthing the teams wont take note of (TAR21 worked perfictily with the Hello/Goodbye challenge)

Maybe somthing like season 8's puzzle task. (Except a puzzle of the world)

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 05:40:55 PM »
Something way more puzzling than GO GLOBAL.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 06:00:32 PM »
Just throwing it out: even TAR 22 Leg 3's "memory Roadblock" was more puzzling than Go Global :groan:

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 06:15:39 PM »
I think a more extensive version of the Surfboards in Bali would be a fantastic memory challenge! In my opinion, a memory challenge should be one that is challenging that allows for position shuffling, but isn't too difficult that it turns into a luck challenge. The surfboards task hit all those standards.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »
Just throwing it out: even TAR 22 Leg 3's "memory Roadblock" was more puzzling than Go Global :groan:

I think a more extensive version of the Surfboards in Bali would be a fantastic memory challenge! In my opinion, a memory challenge should be one that is challenging that allows for position shuffling, but isn't too difficult that it turns into a luck challenge. The surfboards task hit all those standards.

THIS so much

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 06:34:02 PM »

TAR14 final leg.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 06:44:16 PM »
Season 14's memory challenge was an awesome one! I should have worded that differently; I wasn't trying to refer to Season 14.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 06:50:32 PM »

Agree on this, totally.

Season 14's memory challenge was an awesome one! I should have worded that differently
; I wasn't trying to refer to Season 14.

:tup:
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 11:59:32 PM »
You know what would be perfect? Detour task titles. Match them up into pairs, AND put them in the correct order. The only downside is you'd need one on every leg, and I'm not sure the producers are willing to do that. (And the legs could be planned so the clue for the Detour is given out at the same time as the Fast Forward, so that it doesn't disadvantage those teams.)

Seriously, though, if they want the memory tasks to be challenging, they need to stop allowing teams to make notes during the race. Not letting them use their notes during the challenge is good, but it doesn't mean a thing if they've just spent a fourteen-hour flight studying it all in anticipation for the task. If they don't have the notes to begin with, they can't study them.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:05:15 AM by tarflyonthewall »

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 12:01:43 AM »
Maybe with the RBs?

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 02:49:30 AM »
For a final memory challenge, I would like something subtle that teams won't automatically know it is something very, very important, but something profound enough that teams won't automatically forget them.

I was thinking music. Songs played in tasks or route marker, such as the guitar player is S22.1 Bora Bora or the music at the bamboo dance in S22.5 in Vietnam.

Or maybe the costumes worn by the pit stop greeter. Teams would have to recreate what the greeters wore at the pit stop mat, down to the accesories they wore.

And if TAR doesn't want notes at the final memory challenge, they would just have to tell the teams that they can't check theirs, or produce a task that would render their notes useless (like TAR21).  :)
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 07:46:05 AM »
Or maybe the costumes worn by the pit stop greeter. Teams would have to recreate what the greeters wore at the pit stop mat, down to the accesories they wore.

I love this idea! I could really see this happening in a future season. It would definitely allow enough time for teams with good memories and good eyes for detail to catch up.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 07:59:51 AM »
I personally think that task would be too difficult and would be turned into a luck task, which I don't really want to see in the Finale.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 01:01:59 PM »
How about remember Phil's outfits in the right order? :lol3:

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »
That would be epic! I bet no one has thought about taking notes on what Phil wears (or at least I haven't).

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 08:11:12 PM »
All the RB phrases?

i.e "Who wants to take a giant leap to the million bucks?" (something like that) from TAR 22 Leg 1.

I would think that teams do take notes of phrases though.

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 09:21:10 PM »
That would be epic! I bet no one has thought about taking notes on what Phil wears (or at least I haven't).
it was a joke im pretty sure this was the finale task on TAR 17

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 09:25:17 PM »
No, that was the epic pitstop greeter task <333333

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 10:30:49 PM »
No, that was the epic pitstop greeter task <333333
o yeaa.. its just so similar...

Offline themikko95

• RFF Full Member
  • Kym/Alli for the win!
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »
I would want a memory challenge for the clue givers. They are usually overlooked by teams as they are always in a hurry to grab their clue.
Dustin/Kandice, Jaime/Cara and Pam/Winnie = goddesses!

Online redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 06:36:04 AM »
A signboard task involving all the countries they have visited, or to make it more challenging, a list of cities.

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 10:37:44 PM »
You mean kind of like an adapted Switchback of TAR11's "write the places Magellan went, in order" task?

Online redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 11:29:34 PM »
You mean kind of like an adapted Switchback of TAR11's "write the places Magellan went, in order" task?

Yes. Given that teams had a lot of trouble with that detour, I kind of expect it to be quite a challenging roadblock.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2015, 10:07:17 PM »
I never posted here when I first saw this thread because I was afraid that once someone from the crew sees this, they might cross it out from their list, but I realized that it's not the case all the time.

I was thinking music. Songs played in tasks or route marker, such as the guitar player is S22.1 Bora Bora or the music at the bamboo dance in S22.5 in Vietnam.

I have a similar thought, musical instruments.  :cmas23 Let's say on one leg a cluegiver is playing a musical instrument, then on another leg it's the background music of a cluebox location, then maybe it could also be at an ARI or roadblock location, or even the pit stop greeter can play a musical instrument.

I think they can be hidden properly to the point that the racers won't notice it and that they won't be able to take note of it. :cmas22

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2015, 11:39:27 PM »
I was thinking that they should have a photographic memory task... Like determine in order pit stop they have encountered... That should be hard but idk whether it would be epic in TV...

Also I love the concept that TAR had offered in TAR 27 finale leg... Having physical task together with memory task that was a clever one....
what might have been

Offline Norwegian Boy

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2015, 09:23:46 AM »
They should do a memory task including country calling codes. Maybe give the teams a list of all the calling codes and make them search through the list for the ones from the countries visited. Then they will have to fill the numbers into an equation.

After they have found the numbers the task is to add, subtract, multiply and divide the numbers in a pre-determined matter to get a four-digit code. This code will then be used to unlock a box with the clue.

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2015, 09:15:54 PM »
How about airport codes? After arranging, they will need to spell out a word (from the letters) that will be their clue to the place where the finish line is.  :xmas146
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2015, 09:27:49 PM »
How about airport codes? After arranging, they will need to spell out a word (from the letters) that will be their clue to the place where the finish line is.  :xmas146
Holy crap that would be difficult
Would teams be provided with the airport codes, or will they have to figure them out AND THEN unscramble them?
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Keepcopz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2015, 09:50:45 PM »
Airport Code would be fun. But I think it will be really confusing if teams somehow transit flight or land at different airport in the same leg. But LOL that would be chaotic and amazing. <3 Teams wouldn't care to take note about it I think.

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2015, 11:36:06 PM »
^^ I don't think it will be that difficult. Airport codes are in their plane tickets (but of course no peeking!) Still up to production if they will give letters or the team will need to figure them out themselves. If they will be unscrambling them, then it would be fun to give them excess letters (so if there are 10 countries and assuming 3-letter airport codes, that's 30 letters plus 3 excess). Also, it would be a team task not an RB, two brains to solve the puzzle.  :cmas22

^Of course it will just include airports on which they did landed. So it will not mean if you have 13 legs, there will be 13 airport codes. That's for the teams to figure out. A country can also have 2 airport codes, if they landed on two airports on the same country.
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline tennis33

• RFF Full Member
  • 🌎 🏃‍♂️ 🔥
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »
I would love to see every leg have music involved wether it is somone playing music at the pit stop or music they dance to. The final task would be they would listen to 11 songs and place them in the correct order they heard them. To make it harder they could add extra songs or place clues in restaurants and use the music playing in the restaurant. I think teams would have a tough time with this task.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2017, 08:11:01 PM »
What would have been great for the strangers season especially would have been that one from 11 where one has to match their partner's feelings about other teams.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2017, 09:23:37 PM »
I would like to see a task, on which a picture of all of the Pit Stops where the teams check-in on the race, are posted on like a sign and they have to arrange the signs in correct order.

However, on the final sign, is the Finish Line. If the teams leave out this sign, then the answer is wrong. They need to put that picture at the end of the line.

There will be also be Pit Stops, in which the teams didn't visit. They must leave these out.

I hope this makes sense!

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2017, 10:28:04 PM »
What would have been great for the strangers season especially would have been that one from 11 where one has to match their partner's feelings about other teams.

I thought that it did end up with Eric & Danielle winning TAR 11?
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

kaedav9

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2017, 05:53:11 AM »
i like the airport codes idea

Offline TARmap

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2017, 11:22:46 AM »
Perhaps something do to with currency?

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2017, 12:49:02 PM »
Perhaps something do to with currency?

They've done it in TAR 23. :)

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2017, 01:21:37 PM »
Rather than a task about things racers have seen, I'd like to see one about things racers have done.

Like (this would be perfect for an LA finish since they could have it in a soundstage with little issue), have a bunch of miniature variations of tasks, with the chosen team member required to complete them in order to receive their next clue.

Offline ghmorello

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »
Foods - Teams must gather an ingredient that's symbolic to each country they visited.  They'll be given a shopping list, but some food items will be wrong.  Once all the items have been gathered, teams must mix them together and eat/drink the final product. 

World Leaders - Teams will go through a bunch of portraits of world leaders and must find the correct world leader for each country they visited. 

Video Game references - Teams will be given a video game reference in each roadblock clue and must identify what video game goes with a certain country.  For example, in Australia, teams would carry some fruit boxes to a market which is a reference to Crash Bandicoot.  In Poland, teams would go on a mystical hunt which is a reference to The Witcher. 

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »
I would like to see a memory task where teams must place answer cards to 12-15 riddle questions about the race destinations, chronological order, and tasks onto a giant spinning fan or spoke. This task will require teams to be quick physically, cognitively, and attentively. I can imagine this task now being a noteworthy challenge with teams tragically messing up and freaking out over which answers are wrong.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »
HMLM (who ostensibly rip this off from BB CAN 2 had, and I'm going to quote wiki on this:

Quote from: HMLM 5 wiki
At Melbourne Museum, teams had to play a giant trivia board game, which was divided into the countries they visited during the race. Then, teams had to roll the dice to advance their token to a space where they would draw a card which contained a question and a penalty related to the leg from that space's country, with the exception of the Australia spaces which contained questions about previous seasons of HaMerotz LaMillion. If teams answered the question correctly they could roll the dice again; however if their answer was wrong teams had to complete the penalty task before rolling again. Additionally, each country had a space where, if landed on, teams drew a card that would instruct them to move their token to a specific country. Once the teams reached the end of the board, a man dressed as Captain Cook would hand them their next clue.

They could change it slightly (I think it would be mean to ask teams questions about 29 seasons worth of TAR US) but this would be great and hilarious to watch, especially if all three teams are there.

Offline Palperro

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • aka Paldog aka Paldog123456
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2017, 12:22:49 PM »
I liked the TAR12 memory Roadblock - it was so challenging and really made the racers think.
Por ti volaré

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2017, 08:08:10 PM »
HMLM (who ostensibly rip this off from BB CAN 2 had, and I'm going to quote wiki on this:

Quote from: HMLM 5 wiki
At Melbourne Museum, teams had to play a giant trivia board game, which was divided into the countries they visited during the race. Then, teams had to roll the dice to advance their token to a space where they would draw a card which contained a question and a penalty related to the leg from that space's country, with the exception of the Australia spaces which contained questions about previous seasons of HaMerotz LaMillion. If teams answered the question correctly they could roll the dice again; however if their answer was wrong teams had to complete the penalty task before rolling again. Additionally, each country had a space where, if landed on, teams drew a card that would instruct them to move their token to a specific country. Once the teams reached the end of the board, a man dressed as Captain Cook would hand them their next clue.

They could change it slightly (I think it would be mean to ask teams questions about 29 seasons worth of TAR US) but this would be great and hilarious to watch, especially if all three teams are there.
This could be what superfans excel at
Brooke and Scott will smash this  :funny:

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »
I came up with an idea for a memory challenge.

I think they should end a season in Detroit, Michigan. Being the home of the automobile industry, they would have to do a challenge related to cars. I was thinking that THAT could be the memory challenge. Teams are each given an area 12 cars with licenses plates that have something relating to the locales they visited, such as IATA (I saw someone mention something about that before), country/city names, actual license plates from those countries, etc. and they have to park the cars in order before they can receive the next clue.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2017, 02:05:51 AM »
I just thought of a brilliant one, imho.

The task could take place in an American city's Chinatown. Teams would be given a bunch of cards with Chinese letters on them, and have to find the ones that say all of the countries they have been to and put them in order on a board.

To facilitate this, teams can take them out and ask a local to say one of the cards to them. However, teams can only ask each local individual to say ONE card. Furthermore, teams cannot use notes so if they find a country, they will have to memorize the Chinese characters so that they remember which one is that country.

Slightly inspired by a task in South Korea on TAR Israel 5.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Ozzymayhem4

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2017, 08:20:02 AM »
a memory challenge where they need to remember the amount of US dollars they received at the start of each leg. They then need to exchange that amount from US dollars to the country they were traveling to that leg's currency. They will be given clues, and a conversion chart of every single currency in the world. Might not be too good though.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2017, 03:57:30 PM »
a memory challenge where they need to remember the amount of US dollars they received at the start of each leg. They then need to exchange that amount from US dollars to the country they were traveling to that leg's currency. They will be given clues, and a conversion chart of every single currency in the world. Might not be too good though.
I love it, actually! :)

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »

I really like the idea! Maybe they'd have to be given the 12 amounts before then have to match them and convert them. It would be almost impossible otherwise.

Offline TARmap

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2017, 06:29:48 PM »
Not really a memory challenge but how about the starting and finish line being the same place. When teams receive their final clue, it will tell them to go to the starting one but not specify the starting/finish line's name

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2017, 07:03:29 PM »
Not really a memory challenge but how about the starting and finish line being the same place. When teams receive their final clue, it will tell them to go to the starting one but not specify the starting/finish line's name
Nice one!
You popped an idea into my head for a memory challenge:

Teams would have to arrange the 11 pit stops (names of buildings, plazas, etc.) in order. These days, when the racers take note of literally everything, it would probably not be a hard task, but if it was included along another memory challenge (like in the TAR28 finale, IIRC), I would enjoy it a lot!

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »

I know this was almost a month ago, but...
My 1st thought: That's tough!
Good idea imo.

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2017, 05:22:32 PM »
I think if they go back to San Francisco or Seattle anytime soon, they should do an escape room memory roadblock, since those cities are where escape rooms first became in the United States. In order to get the final combination to unlock the final door, the team member would have to remember a variety of details to unlock different parts in the room.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2017, 07:22:18 PM »
re-do of TAR12-style memory task.will be great
however that would be hard for production nowadays to think of this task

at the moment, a mix of airport code, national flag and the flower of city will be a good try