Author Topic: Joys and Disappointments of TAR 22  (Read 29605 times)

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Joys and Disappointments of TAR 22
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2013, 08:01:20 AM »
Disappointment: The switchbacks did not cause as much drama as in their original airings. :(

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2013, 10:08:29 AM »
:lol3:

I kinda also wanted for Maxie to win. When I saw the Roller Derbies had it difficult, I root for them. Not hockeys, obviously. ew

Offline sharkshooter

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
Reposting this here, because it generally sums up many of my feelings about the season as a whole.

Here's the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for the Finale:
...The Ugly:
  • Finally (and perhaps this should be a subset of the previous point), the unfulfilled promise to the teams that they would meet the president of the United States. ...
I can't believe anyone actually thought the President of the United States would be able to meet with the racers whenever they showed up.  Don't you think his time is a bit more important and scheduled than that?  I knew there had to be a twist, just wasn't sure what it was.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2013, 11:47:04 AM »
Let's keep this quoting going. lol

Let's NOT. No reason to slow down the pages for everyone else reading...so NO.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2013, 12:04:48 PM »
I think this season had the most number of Switchbacks, and now Switchbacks are no longer seen as UNIQUE/MEMORABLE/HARD/CRAZY tasks which happened on TAR in previous seasons, but just about any task in past seasons. So literally, the whole magic behind the idea of a "Switchback" is lost... :(

Offline BlooperGuy

• RFF Full Member
  • SKRILLEX.....VS.....MOZART!!!!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2013, 04:03:14 PM »
One thing that is irritating to me is the editing. When I go back and watch the older seasons it feels much more smooth and there is much more time to get to know all the teams equally. But ever since Season 12 or so, the editing has focused more on some teams than others, resulting in teams that develop no personality whatsoever before being eliminated (or even making the Final 3).

Small changes bother me. For some reason this season always had a brief moment before the intro where it showed some random team making a "funny" quote. I don't think there is any good reason for this - it is much more epic and suspenseful to just say "four teams remain. Who will be eliminated...NEXT?" Then cut straight to the Intro. These quotes literally ruined the suspense for me.

Another thing that I think should be brought back is the narration by Phil where he says "Teams arrived here at the end of the last leg for a mandatory rest period. The 6 teams waiting here have no idea what's in store for them. Will [such and such team] be able to overcome the Speedbump and stay in the Race? And will [another team] be able to maintain their lead?"

Explanations of what a Detour or Roadblock is should still be necessary. "A Detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons." There are new viewers all the time, and I'm sure they would greatly appreciate knowing what these things mean.

Finally, the eliminations could be better as well. This season really didn't seem to show as much of the eliminated teams talking at the mat as past seasons have. I love watching those interviews with Phil and especially the confessionals given after the team was eliminated. I would love to see those be the same length as they used to be.

Reposting this here, because it generally sums up many of my feelings about the season as a whole.

Here's the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for the Finale:
...The Ugly:
  • Finally (and perhaps this should be a subset of the previous point), the unfulfilled promise to the teams that they would meet the president of the United States. ...
I can't believe anyone actually thought the President of the United States would be able to meet with the racers whenever they showed up.  Don't you think his time is a bit more important and scheduled than that?  I knew there had to be a twist, just wasn't sure what it was.

Don't worry: I definitely didn't believe it when I heard it (the task designers have pulled way too many tricks like this in the past for me to ever believe it anyway), but I just wish they would be honest in the clues, and quit trying to create ways to make the teams look like "dumb Americans." If they really are "dumb" it will manifest itself naturally (Nick & Vicki are an example). :lol3:

I want to see TAR the way it actually happened, with as little "editing" or "slanting" of events as possible.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:07:39 PM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2013, 04:11:48 PM »
One thing that is irritating to me is the editing. When I go back and watch the older seasons it feels much more smooth and there is much more time to get to know all the teams equally. But ever since Season 12 or so, the editing has focused more on some teams than others, resulting in teams that develop no personality whatsoever before being eliminated (or even making the Final 3).

Another thing that I think should be brought back is the narration by Phil where he says "Teams arrived here at the end of the last leg for a mandatory rest period. The 6 teams waiting here have no idea what's in store for them. Will [such and such team] be able to overcome the Speedbump and stay in the Race? And will [another team] be able to maintain their lead?"

Explanations of what a Detour or Roadblock is should still be necessary. "A Detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons." There are new viewers all the time, and I'm sure they would greatly appreciate knowing what these things mean.

Finally, the eliminations could be better as well. This season really didn't seem to show as much of the eliminated teams talking at the mat as past seasons have. I love watching those interviews with Phil and especially the confessionals given after the team was eliminated. I would love to see those be the same length as they used to be.

THIS.

I did notice in recent seasons that they always seem to shove the edits to the Final 5/4 or so, that it makes it very obvious. A great example would be TAR 21.. we never really got to know Caitlin & Brittany, Gary & Will, or Rob & Kelley.

Whenever I watch the older seasons online, I absolutely love it when Phil asks those questions :lol: "Will [team] be able to work their relationship out to help them stay in the Race?"

100% agreed on how an explanation on each type of task is still needed no matter what.

I thought I was the only one feeling that way about the eliminations this season. I really, really loved the cast this season and it sucked to see everyone go.. but they edited them all like in such a weird manner... I always loved the sad (not necessarily sad,) but those elimination speeches/confessionals that get to you. Joey & Meghan didn't even get a confessional at the end of their elimination episode.. Basically every eliminated team's endings just made me go "What just happened? I'm supposed to be sad because I loved that team!" ah well I didn't.

Boy, I sound sooo confusing. We complain about the smallest things :lol:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »

THIS.

I did notice in recent seasons that they always seem to shove the edits to the Final 5/4 or so, that it makes it very obvious. A great example would be TAR 21.. we never really got to know Caitlin & Brittany, Gary & Will, or Rob & Kelley.

Whenever I watch the older seasons online, I absolutely love it when Phil asks those questions :lol: "Will [team] be able to work their relationship out to help them stay in the Race?"

100% agreed on how an explanation on each type of task is still needed no matter what.

I thought I was the only one feeling that way about the eliminations this season. I really, really loved the cast this season and it sucked to see everyone go.. but they edited them all like in such a weird manner... I always loved the sad (not necessarily sad,) but those elimination speeches/confessionals that get to you. Joey & Meghan didn't even get a confessional at the end of their elimination episode.. Basically every eliminated team's endings just made me go "What just happened? I'm supposed to be sad because I loved that team!" ah well I didn't.

Boy, I sound sooo confusing. We complain about the smallest things :lol:

Yes, we sure are picky! But then again, it has always been the small things that have made the show so great.

BTW, the very next thing I was going to mention was the sadness of the eliminations. There just wasn't that feeling of sadness that another team just got eliminated. It felt more like "oh well, who cares, another team bites the dust." (Phil's "Oy Vey" was actually my least favorite moment of the entire season.)
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »
Exactly. That segues me to another thing I forgot to bring up: they didn't play those sad music during the teams' last-place arrivals or at least during their confessionals. Just another thing that can move the viewer, right?

Offline CYew

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »
Joys:

-The cast: The last three seasons have been very lackluster in that aspect. Season 22 had no unlikable teams at all, the worst thing were some boring ones *cough*Bates&Anthony*cough*;
-More airport scenes than before: Even though it wasn't like in earlier seasons, it had considerably more of them than on the last seasons we've had;
-Balanced editing: I don't remember anyone screenhogging this season;

Disappointments:

-The Switzerland leg: It had a thousand pointless route markers, no detour, a bland roadblock and a disappointing switchback;
-The final leg: It was ridiculously anti-climatic and had terrible tasks.
-ALLIANCES >_>

Overall it was a pretty good season, and a step in the right direction after the last ones we've had ^^
"The crackers were probably bad luck anyway..."

Offline Daniel

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2013, 09:37:02 AM »
I totally agree on the elimination thing. Eliminations used to be SO sad. I usually even got sad on eliminations of teams that I actually hate or don't care at all. Nowadays they show montages, but only on some teams. And to be honest I miss that sad cheesy music they used to play on eliminations :lol:

And I thought I was the only one who misses things like 'Will (team name) be able to ...?' 'A Detour is a choice between...' 'A Roadblock is a task that only one...' 'Teams arrived here at the end of last leg for a mandatory rest period that allows them...'
TAR Canada: Vanessa & Celina
TAR 23: Tim & Marie, Nicky & Kim, Tim & Danny

She's really pissed that we're asking her because she has BUSINESS to do.

MrDeerShank

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »

Pretty certain Dave and Connor quite a lot when they were in the race...

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2013, 10:16:13 AM »
100% agree. There was way to much screentime for Dave with his broken achilles and his cancer surviving son.

Offline CYew

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2013, 01:00:45 PM »
Meh, they were eliminated so early I didn't really care.
"The crackers were probably bad luck anyway..."

Offline Washingtonian

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2013, 09:04:12 AM »
The best, finally finishing a leg in Washington, DC.  I have no idea why the producers took so long to do this, since they love to use LA as a starting point.  I was hoping for more running in DC than cabs though, it could made for some humor with the teams getting lost.  DC is not hard to get around, but I have lived here for 30 years.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2013, 09:13:05 AM »

Pretty certain Dave and Connor quite a lot when they were in the race...

The whole Leg 4 recap being all about them. :res:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2013, 03:15:22 PM »
 :conf: :cheer: JOYS :cheer: :conf:
• Good country choices (French Polynesia, Botswana, and Switzerland had amazing scenery.)
• Casting MUCH more diverse than last season's (All teams were memorable as for the exception of Matt & Daniel)
• Unpredictability (Who knew Dave & Connor were going to quit without using spoilers? Who knew Pam & Winnie were going to fall so behind in Botswana?)
• Night leg in Germany (I always love night legs since they cause navigation problems.)

:pity :res: DISAPPOINTMENTS :res: :pity
• ZERO new countries like last season
• Generally weak and easy tasks
• Two Switchbacks (which proves the task creators are starting to lack creativity.)
• Unbalanced editing "favoritism" (Dave & Connor and somewhat Maxie)
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2013, 03:26:46 AM »
Does Bora Bora not count as a new country?
It's Clobbering Time!